Comments
21 - 40 of 301 Comments Last updated Jul 26, 2012
Just wondering

Antioch, TN

#22 May 15, 2012
Why is it that my kids are getting taught by kids in college going to be a teacher? My child says that they are doing the so called teaching while the "teacher" is not even in the room! When they have a prob. or a question, the wanna b teacher can't answer there question, and when they ask the real teacher, there told to get help fron the college kid doing class time, I mean really?
Sheet

Tuscaloosa, AL

#23 May 15, 2012
bull wrote:
I don't believe that for a minute. West pines is the smallest yet best elementary school there is in the county. We have a lot of support there. That means teachers, parents, and elected officials. They wouldn't close west pines....or glenwood....I call your bluff...
Exactly!
explain

Fort Campbell, TN

#24 May 15, 2012
Why are they having to consider closing glenwood school when teachers are getting a 2.5% raise this coming year?
Proud Papa

Faith, NC

#25 May 15, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
Why is it that my kids are getting taught by kids in college going to be a teacher? My child says that they are doing the so called teaching while the "teacher" is not even in the room! When they have a prob. or a question, the wanna b teacher can't answer there question, and when they ask the real teacher, there told to get help fron the college kid doing class time, I mean really?
The "wanna-be college kid" is what's called a Student Teacher. He or she has passed all the exams needed to apply for licensure and is performing an internship under supervision of a university educational supervisor. Teaching alone without the regular classroom teacher present is called 'soloing'. Surely you knew this, right? Working internships are required in many practicing professions including surgeons. I'm familiar with this because my children are educators. However they don't teach in Greene County or Greeneville and never planned to. The systems where they're employed are much better funded, appreciate education and compensate them much better than here. It sounds like many people would be happy if their children were educated by temps from Staffmark. That way you wouldn't have to worry about your tax dollars paying normal benefits associated with highly educated professions. I'm so proud of my children's success! They wisely chose to leave this deadfull town, as have many of our brightest young people. The best are leaving. Lesser teachers will produce lesser students. You'll be happy however, as you got what you paid for.
you are so right

Nashville, TN

#26 May 15, 2012
Proud Papa wrote:
<quoted text> The "wanna-be college kid" is what's called a Student Teacher. He or she has passed all the exams needed to apply for licensure and is performing an internship under supervision of a university educational supervisor. Teaching alone without the regular classroom teacher present is called 'soloing'. Surely you knew this, right? Working internships are required in many practicing professions including surgeons. I'm familiar with this because my children are educators. However they don't teach in Greene County or Greeneville and never planned to. The systems where they're employed are much better funded, appreciate education and compensate them much better than here. It sounds like many people would be happy if their children were educated by temps from Staffmark. That way you wouldn't have to worry about your tax dollars paying normal benefits associated with highly educated professions. I'm so proud of my children's success! They wisely chose to leave this deadfull town, as have many of our brightest young people. The best are leaving. Lesser teachers will produce lesser students. You'll be happy however, as you got what you paid for.
You are SO RIGHT ON!!! Our daughter recently graduated from college and is a product of a local Greene County High School. Believe us, we are encouraging her to by-pass Greene County. We're sorry but the county parents are getting to be an embarrassment because ALL THEY DO IS COMPLAIN about the TEACHERS!! Okay with us, our bright, lovely, hard-working, someone who loves kids daughter will be moving somewhere to teach kids whose parents appreciate them. By the way, while we were never interested in sending our daughter to city schools, she did her student teaching in the city system and in the county system and we all found it to be very sad that she was treated with so much more respect in the city system. Quite a surprise to us. Also quite sad to us.
Warden Thomas

Marion, VA

#27 May 15, 2012
A lot of these students will be in prison by age 25.
city only

Nolensville, TN

#28 May 15, 2012
you are so right wrote:
<quoted text>
You are SO RIGHT ON!!! Our daughter recently graduated from college and is a product of a local Greene County High School. Believe us, we are encouraging her to by-pass Greene County. We're sorry but the county parents are getting to be an embarrassment because ALL THEY DO IS COMPLAIN about the TEACHERS!! Okay with us, our bright, lovely, hard-working, someone who loves kids daughter will be moving somewhere to teach kids whose parents appreciate them. By the way, while we were never interested in sending our daughter to city schools, she did her student teaching in the city system and in the county system and we all found it to be very sad that she was treated with so much more respect in the city system. Quite a surprise to us. Also quite sad to us.
That's why I'll continue to pay the tuition and send my county children to city schools. The difference is that the teachers there are treated like professionals so they act like professionals. Check and see how many county officials choose to send their county child to a city school. SEVERAL, with good reason.
ignorant

Nashville, TN

#29 May 15, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
You can be proud, you have just shown a great abundance of ignorance by your post. No matter whether you work in a factory or graduate from a formal school of whatever, we all start at the beginning and learn on the job. Golly gee what a dumb remark. Kids have been student teaching for years. Did you go to school maybe that's your problem. I went to school back in the 60s and even we had student teachers.
name of school

Nashville, TN

#30 May 15, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
Just curious. Did you go to the same school that your child attends now? Please let me know because I wouldn't want my children anywhere close to a school who turns out people as dumb as you are to ask such a stupid question. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
cty teacher

Nashville, TN

#31 May 15, 2012
I teach in the county and I would NEVER consider sending my children to the county schools. We have excellent teachers, but the slow-minded parents who post ridiculous comments about how we are paying $20,000 bonuses to retirees are the reason. The children are precious-don't get me wrong-it's not their fault their parents have uneducated attitudes. When someone like Dr. Kirk tries to HELP them by keeping funding at a still sub-appropriate level and they squall about the past instead of looking at the future, it shows you how short sighted they are. I hope the commissioners who need to fund the schools FOR YOUR CHILDREN can tell the difference between people who know what they are talking about, and those that don't!
Controlling the board

Fort Campbell, TN

#32 May 15, 2012
I do not think any county employee should be allowed to be a commissioner. This is what is happening now. The state gave the teachers a mandatory raise,then the commission gave them a raise plus a $500 dollar bonus. I am sure that they will be asking for another big raise this year.
tis true

Nashville, TN

#33 May 15, 2012
cty teacher wrote:
I teach in the county and I would NEVER consider sending my children to the county schools. We have excellent teachers, but the slow-minded parents who post ridiculous comments about how we are paying $20,000 bonuses to retirees are the reason. The children are precious-don't get me wrong-it's not their fault their parents have uneducated attitudes. When someone like Dr. Kirk tries to HELP them by keeping funding at a still sub-appropriate level and they squall about the past instead of looking at the future, it shows you how short sighted they are. I hope the commissioners who need to fund the schools FOR YOUR CHILDREN can tell the difference between people who know what they are talking about, and those that don't!
The part about some pretty hefty bonuses for county retires is anything but false. My cousin retired a couple of years ago after 30+ years with the county teaching system and got an unbelievable bonus. I don't know if she had to put some of the money in herself or if it was all from the tax payers.
ditto

Jonesborough, TN

#34 May 15, 2012
tis true wrote:
<quoted text>
The part about some pretty hefty bonuses for county retires is anything but false. My cousin retired a couple of years ago after 30+ years with the county teaching system and got an unbelievable bonus. I don't know if she had to put some of the money in herself or if it was all from the tax payers.
All from the tax payers......
where

Mount Juliet, TN

#35 May 15, 2012
Highland is next
where

Mount Juliet, TN

#36 May 15, 2012
GHS 12 grade will be in WSCC
Question

United States

#37 May 15, 2012
If they close Glenwood and West Pines, will these two schools still be able to have sports teams like Football and Basketball?
love the teachers

Nashville, TN

#38 May 15, 2012
tis true wrote:
<quoted text>
I retired last year after 36 years of service. Know what I got? The ladies took me out for lunch and some cards and I was glad for that. I feel certain if teachers are getting bonuses they would have to be contributing. I love the teachers by the way. My grand babies have some good ones.
Bigger

Antioch, TN

#39 May 15, 2012
When my cousin retired she got a $50,000 bonus for ten years, a 3 week European cruise, a Cadillac SUV, and a Rolex. If you are going to make something up, make it big.
Pretend 2 B Normal

Hendersonville, NC

#40 May 16, 2012
Bigger wrote:
When my cousin retired she got a $50,000 bonus for ten years, a 3 week European cruise, a Cadillac SUV, and a Rolex. If you are going to make something up, make it big.
Don't forget the statue in Greeneville's Teacher Hall of Fame (coming in 2013), the use of a private yacht, 6 years same as cash at Aaron's, a pocket park named after her, and naming rights to the new Asphault plant. I understand this is in all teachers contracts.
ditto

Jonesborough, TN

#41 May 16, 2012
Pretend 2 B Normal wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the statue in Greeneville's Teacher Hall of Fame (coming in 2013), the use of a private yacht, 6 years same as cash at Aaron's, a pocket park named after her, and naming rights to the new Asphault plant. I understand this is in all teachers contracts.
can't wait until all of you stand up comics find out the bonuses are true, it was in the newspaper that 28 people that retired in greene county last year cost the taxpayers almost $400,000. now divide that by 28.....some would get bigger bonuses because they were making more when they retired....this is not the retirement that they will receive, it's on top of that....if most taxpayers are ok with that...fine....most people receive nothing.....that money would have gone a long way to help keep glenwood open. then they're coming after west pines, and ottway....after millions of dollars have been spent on remodeling them....now that's good management.......

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mosheim Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 12 min Sincerely 145,939
south greene football 42 min spot 43
white peterbilt in town 1 hr rednecks 2
Joan Rivers current status 1 hr rednecks 1
pos men in greeneville 2 hr ajoke 5
wikq football (Oct '13) 2 hr Tony Darnell 15
Greene County TN Buy Sell Giveaway Swap (Sep '11) 2 hr Kyle parkins 51
•••
•••
•••

Mosheim Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000