Bristol, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I have read the crime beat a few times. I am opposed to printing such information on suspicion. Until someone is proven guilty, there should be no reason to assume guilt, and no reason to imply it, in print, without someone’s permission, or perhaps against their will.
It should be private until they have all the facts. Otherwise, it can make someone look worse than they would if all the information were reported accurately and completely. It could be humiliating for someone, even if it is based on false information. If a person is guilty of a crime, then write an article about it. Put it on the front page, but wait until the person has been proven guilty. Anything else is not right.

(No I have never been "listed" in the crime beat)

Arrest by police = guilty... nope
arrest + crimebeat = Defamation.....yes

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/d021.htm
hey

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I agree!
know what i think

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I agree! And not because I'm a criminal or anything like that. But no one should be listed in the paper without being convicted or proven guilty. As much as I do get caught up in the gossip aspect of it all, it's not right.
Yep

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I like to read it. makes good gossip
Ltldogwoman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

I agree, the sessions court records should be all that is printed. I know someone that was a victim of one of Bob Moore's hatchet jobs it was the worse entry I've ever seen, guess he gets his jollies ruining ppl's lives. The Trib says that it's all public record and no one escapes it, yet I know of numerous ppl that never got written up. Guess everyone has their price.
lawman

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

don't do the crime if you don't want your name in print it's that simple
But what

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

But then what would they have to print?
Tell everyone

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

I think it ought to be printed, heck yeah. If you thumb your nose at the Laws and say you're above the Law and you get your dumb butt busted, ys your friends, neighbors, associates and employer OUGHT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!
I think the charges and arrests should definitely be listed because often times the crooks will find a scumbum lawyer to get them off on a technicality or maybe the witnesses for the Prosecution decide not to testify or the arresting Officer is not able to attend the Preliminary hearing.....and the crook walks away unpunished even thougyht they are 100% GUILTY!!
`
Yes, thank you Citizen Tribune for shining a light on the dishonest men and women who are causing hurt and trouble in our community. Sure , the crooks are embarrassed,to have everyone in town see how horrible their behaviour is....they SHOULD BE!!
Ryan

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

lawman wrote:
I think that is the argument people are making... some people are arrested for things without being guilty. Those people get their names in the paper or on the news without having done anything wrong. They are innocent bystanders sometimes, nothing more. It can be as simple as the police even going to the wrong house or arresting the wrong person at the house. There have been many people whom are innocent that just because their name was in the paper or on the news have had their lives torn to shreds.
Law woman

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

lawman wrote:
Just because you've been arrested for a crime, doesn't mean you actually DID the crime. The General Sessions record is the only fair reporting of convictions. Printing arrests, without printing convictions, is irresponsible and could possible bias a potential juror. Especially in a small town.
Amber Wavesofgrain

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

watchin captain kangaroo wrote:
I have read the crime beat a few times. I am opposed to printing such information on suspicion. Until someone is proven guilty, there should be no reason to assume guilt, and no reason to imply it, in print, without someone’s permission, or perhaps against their will.
It should be private until they have all the facts. Otherwise, it can make someone look worse than they would if all the information were reported accurately and completely. It could be humiliating for someone, even if it is based on false information. If a person is guilty of a crime, then write an article about it. Put it on the front page, but wait until the person has been proven guilty. Anything else is not right.
(No I have never been "listed" in the crime beat)
Arrest by police = guilty... nope
arrest + crimebeat = Defamation.....yes
http://www.lectlaw.com/def/d021.htm
So we shouldn’t have heard about the O.J. Simpson trial until after it was over? Or heard about it at all? After all O.J. was found not guilty. I have no problem with an arrest being reported. I do have a problem with people assuming guilt just because you have been arrested.
Snowbird

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Yes, the crimebeat is silly, but I've heard that the Greene county paper has much more interesting and degrading crime dabbles in a publication up there. For entertainment purposes, I think something more along the line of fiction would work better than having real people of the community involved.
ladybug

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

lawman wrote:
What if you have done nothing. I can take a warrent out on only one for anything. They will be picked up and if i have no evidence they are set free. Their name is still put in the paper upon their arrest.
just here

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Amber Wavesofgrain wrote:
<quoted text>
So we shouldn’t have heard about the O.J. Simpson trial until after it was over? Or heard about it at all? After all O.J. was found not guilty. I have no problem with an arrest being reported. I do have a problem with people assuming guilt just because you have been arrested.
OJ should have been in the news ,he had DNA all over him,on his socks ,his carpet, his blood in the yard,where they were killed,in his car,dam* a first grader could have figured out he done it,no he wasn't convicted in the criminal court but he was at the civil one..because he couldn't buy a jury off there.
just here

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Snowbird wrote:
Yes, the crimebeat is silly, but I've heard that the Greene county paper has much more interesting and degrading crime dabbles in a publication up there. For entertainment purposes, I think something more along the line of fiction would work better than having real people of the community involved.
People in Greenville,try to sweep everything that happens in their family under the carpet,and it's ok if no one finds out,bunch of goody two shoes..and thats a fact !
Snowbird

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

COPY....ahead....
People in Greenville,try to sweep everything that happens in their family under the carpet,and it's ok if no one finds out,bunch of goody two shoes..and thats a fact !

I don't have any idea how to reply with copy on this site. Too lazy to read how. Anyway, my point was that entertainment may very well be the "who's who" of Greenville or Morristown or Knoxville even, but I think for entertainment purposes, we don't take that stuff seriously. It's far better to read fiction....reality is not all that entertaining....really ?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Most of those people in crimebeat are usually DUI or being caught with drugs. Those charges are pretty much said and over with due to the fact its always true and they are always guilty.

If the persons in question are really innocent then it will be easy for them to convince their co-workers, friends and family to understand it was an honest mistake.

You might just be the same person that says there aren't any sexual predators living down your road that they are all INNOCENT!
Amber Wavesofgrain

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

just here wrote:
<quoted text>OJ should have been in the news ,he had DNA all over him,on his socks ,his carpet, his blood in the yard,where they were killed,in his car,dam* a first grader could have figured out he done it,no he wasn't convicted in the criminal court but he was at the civil one..because he couldn't buy a jury off there.
My point exactly. You wouldn't have known any of the things you stated if not for it being in the papers and on TV. Let the facts come out and the chips fall where they may.
Mayor Reed

Sevierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

hoe can u get the crime beat on there free web sight?
new reality

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Judged:

perhaps someone might step forward as a witness if they know a person is accused of a crime.might not go to court or might shorten the wait to a trial date.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

62 Users are viewing the Morristown Forum right now

Search the Morristown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for lindsay trent or elkins (Nov '10) 13 min carolynn-yonkers 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Morristown, TN (Jul '10) 17 min Pagan 1,508
lookin for some strange 29 min bored 1
Tabitha Lane 36 min tabitha 4
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 38 min global warming groupie 141,386
that Lisa Benoit 1 hr throw up 6
brandon fanney (Oct '12) 1 hr ricky bobby 11
What is going on at the animal shelter? 8 hr ugh 35
Animal Shelter (Oct '11) 9 hr Dog Lover 64
I put my wife naked pictures on wife lovers Mon Lisa 22
•••
•••
•••
•••

Morristown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000