Since: Jul 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

What's the latest on the Lowland site? I haven't heard anything since the EPA dropped the hammer on A&E Metals.
Dirty Dan

Sevierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

Judged:

If the EPA hasn't got anything on that place they're paid off for sure.
Ruff Rhodes

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Judged:

The EPA should check on the old Enka dump.All kinds of slime and stuff is running out of the ground and grass wont even grow on it.I KNOW for a fact that there is lead and all kind of bad stuff buried there.If you want to see it turn left on Chucky river road and when you cross the first railroad,look to your right.The bare spots you see is where this stuff is running out.They tried to fix it several times but it always comes back.This is not hearsay this is facts.If they drilled and got a core sample they would find all kind of toxic stuff.
Dirty Dan

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Wonder what all that crap has done for the ground water over the last 70 years? Alot of people in that area have well's and I wonder if they have a higher cancer rate due the buried chemicals and waste? I know people that used to work there that told me they would bury equipment and tools on the site.

“Only pawn in game of life.”

Morrristown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

That place has got to be an environmental nightmare. That is why they packed up and moved before all these new laws went into effect. Now who is going to be accountable for cleaning up this mess . It seems that a lot of folks who worked there now have cancer. I don't know about the people that live in that area, but someone needs to raise a flag.
cancer

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Lumbago wrote:
That place has got to be an environmental nightmare. That is why they packed up and moved before all these new laws went into effect. Now who is going to be accountable for cleaning up this mess . It seems that a lot of folks who worked there now have cancer. I don't know about the people that live in that area, but someone needs to raise a flag.
My neighbor worked there. He died with cancer. He knew many friends who also worked there who were diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Dirty Dan

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

My uncle lived up the road and across the river, he died of cancer. I know it's a few miles away but you never know about the ground water. Also I remember when we used to pass by it on the way to his house how bad it smelled, you couldn't smell it at his house but you never know if particles were floating around and how far they might carry. Back when the place started up they could get by with dumping anything on site or in the river.
fyi

Ethridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

My dad worked there and now has lung cancer. The Dr. at Vanderbilt said it was due to having worked there since he is not a smoker and they are seeing the same type cancer from the Northern states factory workers. My dad's best friend also died with cancer not many years ago and he worked there also.
butter

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

that place has been beat to death over this issue. the problem is when it was american enka, there was no epa, atleast not one that mattered, basf came in bought the place, got what they needed out and moved it to lower paying european countries, my dad worked there for 30+ years that covers when it was enka, basf and lenzing fibers and he's fine. my mother worked there for 28yrs, she's fine, the majority of there neighbors worked out there for 25+ yrs and they are all fine. yes that place is a toxic mess, but during there heyday, nobody kept the place in check about the waste, so is it fair to blame just the companies that were out there or do we need to blame the government also?
for your info

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

The reason there are spots where grass wont grow is because it where they were cleaning up trying to make the juck yard. They were told they had to close bc of some problems that were going on. And the land that is around the area has been tested and it is clear. The only reason I knw this is I live in the Lowland area. An the cancer thing they have said we could get it but there no more risk then if we lived in the middle of town. If there was somethan extremly bad out here and n the land the cows that are in the area should be dead and the people that have lived around in that area for 60 years should be dead to.
wrong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

for your info wrote:
The reason there are spots where grass wont grow is because it where they were cleaning up trying to make the juck yard. They were told they had to close bc of some problems that were going on. And the land that is around the area has been tested and it is clear. The only reason I knw this is I live in the Lowland area. An the cancer thing they have said we could get it but there no more risk then if we lived in the middle of town. If there was somethan extremly bad out here and n the land the cows that are in the area should be dead and the people that have lived around in that area for 60 years should be dead to.
the stuff coming out of the ground is acid. i have lived a half mile from it since i was 9. believe me its acid
One Who Knows

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

I worked there, too. What has always been a puzzle to me is, if, there is nothing dangerous there, why do cars that were driven to work there always end up having the paint peeling off of them? I had new cars and if I drove them to Enka , the paint would start spotting, then, it would start peeling. Nothing was ever done to EPA standards, especially on the weekends. All kinds of stuff was released there on the weekends that shouldn't have been. The workers in my department were told to only drink the water that came from the water fountains. The other water, from the faucets, was not drinkable. Something wasn't up to par.
wrong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

thats why the grass dont grow
One Who Knows

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

What I don't understand is if EPA standards were being met, why did paint peel off of vehicles that were drove to work there? I worked there. I had new cars. I would not have the car long until the paint started spotting. Then the paint would start peeling. EPA standards were not followed there, especially on the weekends. Everyone in my department were told to only drink water that came out of the water fountains. The water from the other faucets was not drinkable. Something was not up to par.
One Who Knows

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

There is something wrong with this stupid site today. It shows posts sometimes and sometimes the post is gone. Thats the reason for the double post. One got lost in cyberspace for a while.
Lowland Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Have lived in Lowland all of my life.That hill where the dump is,was about [15 or 20] feet high when i was a teen.Now it is about[200]feet high.There is acid that runs out of the ground,sometimes.It runs down beside the road,at times you can even smell it.

“We're just the guys to do it..”

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

It's a superfund site. I know they have tried to clean it up, but it must still be pretty toxic.

If it's too foul for a scrap yard, then it's no wonder grass won't grow there.
Lowland Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

The city anexed all the old Enka and BASF property,except the Lowland dump,and the one Tidy waste owns.They bring all of Cocke Countys trash,and who knows what else out here and dump it.No one wants responabilty for the enka dump.
I know too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

CS2 is a powerful and toxic chemical used to make the cellulose fiber water soluable (rayon). It was delivered daily by the railcar and virtually none recovered during the process. None of it goes in the end product either...out the windows...
wellits

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Judged:

lalalala... i knew these dats would come. American Enka, all of them.. like the above poster stated.. they stayed until it was time to go. that place is a toxic dump... I have also known of many people who worked there that died of cancer. it needs to be cleaned up. I was on the premises awhile back and will be posting lots of photos of the area. People online need to see what has been left for all of us here to enjoy. Heck, this kind of stuff happens everywhere. check out the place in Elizabethton called Bemberg... Have a nice read...TOXIC and it is right smack dab in the middle of town. Bemberg was also a rayon manufacturing facility. the ground is highly toxic in Elizabethton too.. Wal-Mart resides pretty close to next door of that place. Nothing will ever be done to prosecute these evil corporations, nothing

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Morristown Forum right now

Search the Morristown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
terry smartt 10 min IM ME 1
Morristown Animal hospital 11 min Unknown 8
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 29 min WTSenior 140,874
who knows Josh Gilliam 1 hr pop 7
Tj Barnes that dates lady at Mack's junk yard (May '13) 2 hr becky 48
that sabins girl 3 hr is she 1
Animal Shelter (Oct '11) 3 hr You are right 58
Little girls ipad stolen from Cracker Barrel 10 hr lol 28
•••
•••
•••
•••

Morristown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000