Morristown, TN

#21 Aug 22, 2012
the GREAT many wrote:
<quoted text>
you are an idiot
I guess Eric Clapton is no good because he is old
If Randy Rhoads was still alive he would be over 50 ..so write him off I guess
Joe Satriani is 56 guess he is not any good
Steve Vai is 52 lets all say a 22 year old is better...
LOL
Not ONE of those you mentioned ever played in Morristown, but they are all considered excellent. Good try though, many.
J R Johnson

United States

#22 Aug 22, 2012
SRV wrote:
<quoted text>
Not ONE of those you mentioned ever played in Morristown, but they are all considered excellent. Good try though, many.
well randy rhoads did play in knoxville once...matter of fact it was the last show he did before the plane crash he died in. Randy was the reason I wanted to learn how to play. If you wana see some good guitarists how bout all of us older 6 stringers get together with the younger ones and see what they've got? I think it would be fun to see what the younger guys have as far as "skills" with a guitar. Maybe we can show em some tricks they don't know...maybe they can show us old dogs something new
J R Johnson

United States

#23 Aug 22, 2012
the GREAT many wrote:
<quoted text>
you are an idiot
LOL
randy rhoads was better when he first started than most of the older ones lol. Eddie van halen said he was the best he ever saw and there was one guy that said randy was prettier than most women lol. If you wana see an awesome guitarist Google Joe Holmes or shawn lane from Memphis. Joe stood in for sail with past and is probably better than zakk. Just an opinion of and " old " guitarist....even tho I'm only 35 lol
J R Johnson

United States

#24 Aug 22, 2012
I meant Joe stood in for zakk with ozzy. Dang auto correct
2legit2quit

Seymour, TN

#25 Aug 22, 2012
the GREAT many wrote:
<quoted text>you are an idiot

LOL
there is a HUGE difference between Eric Clapton, who has been famous for decades, and some guy pushing 50 that's been playing in the same bar, with the same band, and the same music for the last 30+ years. I understand Jess' point.
2legit2quit

Seymour, TN

#26 Aug 22, 2012
Ben and that other guy from ARC are some very talented musicians.
Joe

Morristown, TN

#27 Aug 22, 2012
2legit2quit wrote:
Ben and that other guy from ARC are some very talented musicians.
Who is Ben and "that other guy" from ARC? Who is ARC?

“Truth Trumps All”

Since: Nov 11

Morristown

#28 Aug 22, 2012
kittenmonica wrote:
Gavin Mahan
Gavin Mahan? That's a joke. He hasent played guitar in public in probably 10 years.

“Truth Trumps All”

Morristown

#29 Aug 22, 2012
Ben Eller is super good. Maybe the best, definitely the most practiced. Joey Ellison is really good too. I've seen a few really good local pickers play at The Downtown but couldn't name them. It's hard to say who is the best because there are so many criteria to judge. Can they nail covers perfectly? Do they write their own stuff that blows everything else away? Can they trem pick and tap for hours in tempo? Sweep pick runs up and down the neck cleanly? Maybe its someone with an acoustic that can make a crowd cry. There are so many things to judge on. I think Duane Didier and Jared Fredline are pretty badass local guitarists myself.

“Truth Trumps All”

Morristown

#30 Aug 22, 2012
BTW, most of those guys mentioned earlier are in their 30s and early 40s, not their 50s.
2legit2quit

Seymour, TN

#31 Aug 22, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Who is Ben and "that other guy" from ARC? Who is ARC?
ARC "was" a local band that was awesome, 2 members are in straight line stitch now
2legit2quit

Seymour, TN

#32 Aug 22, 2012
ArrowOfTruth wrote:
Ben Eller is super good. Maybe the best, definitely the most practiced. Joey Ellison is really good too. I've seen a few really good local pickers play at The Downtown but couldn't name them. It's hard to say who is the best because there are so many criteria to judge. Can they nail covers perfectly? Do they write their own stuff that blows everything else away? Can they trem pick and tap for hours in tempo? Sweep pick runs up and down the neck cleanly? Maybe its someone with an acoustic that can make a crowd cry. There are so many things to judge on. I think Duane Didier and Jared Fredline are pretty badass local guitarists myself.
these are all things I consider a good guitar player to have mastered
weknow

Nashville, TN

#33 Aug 22, 2012
Its Mitch who teaches! He's the best
Nobody Knows

Morristown, TN

#34 Aug 22, 2012
There is an acoustic fingerstyle country blues guitarist, and singer-songwriter, on YouTube with more views than probably anybody in East Tennessee, who's allegedly from Morristown, and nobody even knows his name.
Eric

Morristown, TN

#35 Aug 22, 2012
ArrowOfTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Gavin Mahan? That's a joke. He hasent played guitar in public in probably 10 years.
Joey Wilder is good.
Info

Morristown, TN

#36 Aug 22, 2012
Ben Eller...He can play anything and is dang good for a younger kid. He teaches at the fret store.
seriously

Shelbyville, TN

#37 Aug 22, 2012
Phillip standifer is good and so is Robby painter, both are great guitarist
Ben

Morristown, TN

#38 Aug 22, 2012
Luke vick is the best
J R Johnson

United States

#39 Aug 23, 2012
Any guitarist that can read tab or music can play anything if they know the difference between a G and D chord. That should go without saying. Practice til your fingers hurt and bleed then practice some more. It's not a hard instrument to learn really. I taught myself to play....THEN took lessons for bout a year. At one time I woulda said I was the best but that may have been the cocky kid in me. TRUE guitarists are a dying breed sad to say. Get out and support some of these young guitarists....best way to keep em going.

“To b or Not to b..A smartass!!”

Since: Nov 10

Russellville, Tn

#40 Aug 23, 2012
J R Johnson wrote:
Any guitarist that can read tab or music can play anything if they know the difference between a G and D chord. That should go without saying. Practice til your fingers hurt and bleed then practice some more. It's not a hard instrument to learn really. I taught myself to play....THEN took lessons for bout a year. At one time I woulda said I was the best but that may have been the cocky kid in me. TRUE guitarists are a dying breed sad to say. Get out and support some of these young guitarists....best way to keep em going.
Yeah well my uncle, James Livesay is 36,,but I think he's awesome, I may be a lil partial lol,..but I know anybody else that's heard him will agree!:)) you are still great also J R.., it's like they say, once you learn, you'll never forget it. You WERE & still ARE a great guitarist, hunny!:) I appreciate all our new & upcoming guitarists too....love it! Xo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morristown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shane Livesay? 4 min Ispeakmymind 3
Rich Williams is marrying me 20 min cindy sweety 24
What was goin on at courthouse yesterday? 25 min Pathetic 56
The(70s) and Now(10s) 26 min Eagle21 19
Jim jones 28 min Tommy 1
Is Flowers Bakery a good place to work. (Dec '08) 40 min just me 71
East sorry Football 49 min for the love 6
Hot Spot Pizza 1 hr mechanically incl... 65
ARROWHEAD church 2 hr Eagle21 23
Food City built too close to park for beer permit 2 hr bohart 42