California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
3,241 - 3,260 of 4,887 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Mar 12

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

In this great state there are:
2 million people out of work (my hubby being one of them);
7 million people with no health insurance (my hubby and I being two of them);
40% of the state is on food stamps (including hubby and me);
three cities (Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino) have filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in the last thirty days with more to follow

and this is all they care about. Some plastic bags? Gimme an f-ing break. I don't know why they did away with paper bags anyway. I always ask for paper at the store.
Not Monday

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

Ah, shucks.

Couldn't wait until Monday.
Michelle

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Judged:

When is the Michelle is driving to Redlands, California?
Right Hear

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

Another big problem is loud music in clubs. I like to go out and watch my favorite rock or heavy metal band but the volume at some of these shows is just horrendous and can do damage to people who have sensitive hearing like m.

I think we should have a law that protects people from having to be exposed to these loud and harmful sounds. The FAA should mandate mufflers on any plane that creates a sound above 70 decibels.

It's just not fair that I can't go out and enjoy a night on the town without being exposed to dangerous levels of sound.

They should also ban these loud motorcycles that keep going up and down my street. And parents should NOT be allowed to have loud crying children in public. I think you should be given a citation if your child is crying or screaming in public for more than 30 seconds.

We need to make everyplace that I want to go safe for us with sensitive hearing. My doctor has told me that if I go into a boiler room for more than 3-4 hours my hearing can be permanently damaged and I may even go deaf. But I love boiler rooms and can't imagine not being able to be in one any longer.

PROTECT ME FROM GOING DEAF!!

PASS NOISE POLLUTION LAWS!!

“Bing-bang, kicky-punchy”

Since: Aug 08

...and "The Paw".

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

Lincoln Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many grebes have you seen swimming around jn Clear Lake with a plastic bag stuck to them?
How many have You seen?
Tagem

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

Bagem and tagem, thats the new motto!
Egbert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

tired wrote:
Why dont retailers use biodegradeable bags?
we have been picking the plastic bags and trash up around outside of our property since we moved in. It would be helpful if Benz and apartment owners kept their lids closed on trash containers
Egbert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Right Hear wrote:
Another big problem is loud music in clubs. I like to go out and watch my favorite rock or heavy metal band but the volume at some of these shows is just horrendous and can do damage to people who have sensitive hearing like m.
I think we should have a law that protects people from having to be exposed to these loud and harmful sounds. The FAA should mandate mufflers on any plane that creates a sound above 70 decibels.
It's just not fair that I can't go out and enjoy a night on the town without being exposed to dangerous levels of sound.
They should also ban these loud motorcycles that keep going up and down my street. And parents should NOT be allowed to have loud crying children in public. I think you should be given a citation if your child is crying or screaming in public for more than 30 seconds.
We need to make everyplace that I want to go safe for us with sensitive hearing. My doctor has told me that if I go into a boiler room for more than 3-4 hours my hearing can be permanently damaged and I may even go deaf. But I love boiler rooms and can't imagine not being able to be in one any longer.
PROTECT ME FROM GOING DEAF!!
PASS NOISE POLLUTION LAWS!!
now there is a use for plastic bag stuff it in your ears!
Nijerts

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

Judged:

Just can't get away from all the news storieslately about crooked politicans, mostly at the local city government level, we will call them Jr. Crooks.

But you know when your a big time crook when you can ly and run for president of united states under the Republican/GOP/Tea Party Nation members banner of honsty?
Honestly I'm lying my 'bucks' off - Willard Mitt Romney, Crooks.
River dance

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

Or is that River Prance?
Ob2se

Sasebo, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Good idea.. won't help you not get shot though.. or robbed.. or both.. but it will definitely have a big impact on the landfills.. it's a responsible governmenty thing to do.
Of Na annie

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Red tops are the best, never need to be checked.

“I beleave in reason not god”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

coastalcutie2000 wrote:
My family has been using our own bags for a couple of years now, and trust me, it is not hard to do! In a world full of pollution this is one simple thing that will make a large impact!
you make no impact expact maybe saving a little maney if you always remember to bring your bag
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

freethinker1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
you make no impact expact maybe saving a little maney if you always remember to bring your bag
freethinker1957.

Long Beach only imposes its Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax on those who pay for their own groceries. The majority of city residents "pay" for their "free" food with taxpayer provided food stamps. They are exempt from paying the Lowenthal harassment tax "BY LAW". The cost of providing "free" grocery bags to the city's food stamp using majority is built into the price of food the city's taxpaying minority is charged.

Ronald
Stephanie

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

San Jose already does this and it's not that bad. But seriously, where do they expect us to put our garbage? So will end up paying for trash bags anyways, that's what companies want to get everybody buying bags at the store again. How about they focus on getting people back to work instead of wasting time.
Heads down

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Keep your head down Tim Donnelly, your just a stupid fool who tried to bring a semiauto .45 cal. pistol on board a aircraft.

You stupid Tea Party Nation member.
Stephanie

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

Or how about lawmakers cut off their bonuses and their checks in half and save the state millions in the process instead of this.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

..Good to see, the forward thinking people of the sinking state of California, have their priorities in order...lol...
better idea

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Stephanie wrote:
Or how about lawmakers cut off their bonuses and their checks in half and save the state millions in the process instead of this.
Why don't you get on your knees and do what you do best...
Reed

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

This is just trash talk anyway must be some spammer who got upset.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Morgan Hill News Video

•••
•••

Morgan Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Morgan Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE