Julia

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

STAR is a 501c3 non profit group that works to get the dogs moved from the pound to the safety of rescues/adoptive homes.
We have some needs that we hope the community can help with.
-We needs monetary donations of course and all donations are fully tax deductable. We often drive dogs a considerable distance to safety (I went to NJ last week!)and need funds for gas. We also need funds for our ever growing vet bills.
-We need dog crates in all sizes.
-We need kennels/fencing supplies if you are not using them.
-We can always use old laundered blankets and towels.
-We need local foster homes. Fosters would need a fenced yard and the ability to keep a dog sheltered, safe, fed, and watered while we arrange transport to rescue. Foster dogs are vetted and UTD on vaccines. Email staradoptions@yahoo.com if you can provide a safe foster home.
-Frontline SPRAY is always appreciated. Please, NO Hartz products! www.hartzvictims.org

Our website:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY251.html

Due to the hard work of STAR, the Rowan County Dog Pound is now considered a low kill facility in the state of KY. Whoo-Hoo! In all of 2008 only 64 dogs were put down. Those dogs were either vicious or too injured/sick to save. This is amazing and shows how hard we work. The pound used to have to put down that many dogs and more each month until we began our work. We've accomplished this by maintaining a good working relationship with our dog warden, Jimmy Hale, the county officials and our network of rescues. Several of our Rowan Pound dogs have gone on to be therapy dogs for the elderly or disabled children:)

There is a barrel inside Kroger for donations of food and treats for the dogs. We always need collars and leashes too.

STAR has brought about a POSITIVE change in Rowan County for our needy dogs but we need more help to continue our work. Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any help you can offer....Julia
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Way to go!

Since: Jun 09

Morehead

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I just want to thank you for posting the hartz victom site on here. I donate to the barrel at krogers all the time and I also have strays I have taken in over the years. But, just recently, due to the economy, I have been using hartz flea collars instead of frontline. In the last two months, each of my dogs have dispayed symptoms I read about on the site you posted. I have had them to the vets and never did I think to mention to her that I had switched from frontline medicines. I woke up the house and we are taking collars off and bathing the dogs as I type. Thanks so much for posting that site or I may never have known what was making my babies sick. STARS is a wonderful thing and I refer people all the time to them when they want a pet.
Number one Grammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I took in a stray this year, she is a boxer/something mix. I have two other smaller dogs. I got her all the shots needed and now I gotta get her fixed 95.00 or so depending on her weight. Expensive if your newly unemployed but I still feel like I have to do it. I love animals, dogs especially. This new dog leaves her ears at the property line and doesn't hear me call her at all! She goes to the woods and chases out deer (two this week alone). My neighbors have been nice so far but who can blame them if they don't appreciate poo the size an elelphant would do in there yard! I had a pen put up for her and I have a run in the yard but she has to be tied on it. I can't afford to fence in the yard so she can run totally free so she is in the pen the majority of the time or walking her on leash, something else she hates. My other dog doesn't like her (older one) but thats managable. I'm glad your out there helping wish I could afford to.
Julia

Waneta, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I am so glad the hartz victims site helped you and your dogs. It's very scary what this stuff can do. In rescue we have seen a lot of it and it's upsetting since it is so preventable. The government will not do anything to regulate Hartz. We have had petitions, letter campaigns, phone calls to no avail so the best we can do is boycott them and spread the word!

Thanks for the kind words about STAR:) We are proud of our efforts!
canine

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

We adopted a dog from the shelter about 3 years ago, and have never been sorry, she is the light of our life and a member of our family, I don't understand why folks don't look at the shelter when looking for a pet, there are some beautiful dogs that need a family so bad. cost is minimal.
May I Ask Please

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I agree with you canine, thats where I have always got my dogs and they lived to be 11 and 12 years old! They helped me raise kids, gave us such love and were a wonderful part of our family. The pound is the FIRST place to look when its time for a pet!!1
Mommacita

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Hartz is a horrible product. I raised a litter of kittens several years ago. All of them were perfectly healthy and strong, checked out by the vet, and given away to good homes. One of the families treated their kitten with Hartz flea spray and the next day when they woke up, he was dead. It literally happened overnight. None of the other kittens died, and they were not exposed. I can not believe this stuff is still available.
Julia

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

We always say rescued souls give back! Dogs at the pound know they are not in a good place and when you rescue them, they will devote themselves to you for life.$50 fee covers the first dhppl shot (parvo/distemper), rabies shot and spay or neuter. It's a bargain and it saves a life!
Even if a person can't adopt a dog, they can still sponsor a dog to help make it more appealing to rescue.
STAR is having a yard sale today and all the proceeds go to the dogs.
And yes, Hartz is horrible. If you do a websearch with the term "hartz killed my dog or cat", you will be shocked at the results you find. It has to do with money and the EPA and FDA. They will not do anything to stop this money hungry company. If Hartz kills or makes your animal sick, and you file a claim, Hartz will pay the vet bill but in signing the check, you are signing an agreement to forego all rights to sue them at a later date! The contract is on the back of the check and endorsing it you sign away your rights. It's unreal what this company has gotten away with. We even did a petition to the Federal Trade Commision and it was completely ignored. So please be sure to tell all your animal friends about Hartz. The main chemical is a lawn pesticide. More cats are killed by it than dogs but dogs also can be killed from it or made deathly ill. Some people have saved their animals but the animals suffer permanant neuralogical damage. My friend's cat still has seizures to this day and she was treated with Hartz 5 years ago. She still has the check they sent her but will not sign it since she hopes one day there will be a class action she can join. I won't even use a Hartz pee pad or litter box.
just checking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Julia, I have a dog that was a stray and brought her home because I couldn't stand to take her to the pound. A female boxer/? mix, her tail has been cut like a boxer I think, I didn't do that But I took her to the vet she has had all shots and is scheduled this week to be fixed. I need to find her a good home she loves to run ALOT and I do not have a fenced in yard so she travels absolutely loves the woods (not a good thing when hunting season comes around) she could be mistaken for a deer because of her color. Shes beautiful and I love her but its not fair to her to be couped up in a pen or tied on a run the majority of the time. What can I do to help her have the quality of life she deserves? Also what is your opinion on the underground fencing used with the color for the dog? I was going to ask my vet but I would appreciate your opinion also.
just checking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Collar for the dog. sorry.
Julia

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

just checking wrote:
Julia, I have a dog that was a stray and brought her home because I couldn't stand to take her to the pound. A female boxer/? mix, her tail has been cut like a boxer I think, I didn't do that But I took her to the vet she has had all shots and is scheduled this week to be fixed. I need to find her a good home she loves to run ALOT and I do not have a fenced in yard so she travels absolutely loves the woods (not a good thing when hunting season comes around) she could be mistaken for a deer because of her color. Shes beautiful and I love her but its not fair to her to be couped up in a pen or tied on a run the majority of the time. What can I do to help her have the quality of life she deserves? Also what is your opinion on the underground fencing used with the color for the dog? I was going to ask my vet but I would appreciate your opinion also.
Can you email us some pics of her? staradoptions@yahoo.com We can certainly list her on the website and try to find a rescue for her. Thank you so much for helping her!
Julia

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Forgot to say we do not like underground fences. They might keep a dog IN but they do not keep anything else out.
just checking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Julia, I have sent a post to the site and a couple of pictures of Mitzy (I hope) I'm not real computer savy. Can you let me know, on here is fine, if you got them and what you think of her. I love her to pieces but it will be best for her to have someone able to play and spend more time with her. Do you screen the ppl who will take her? Thats a concern of mine, that she will be happy in her new surroundings. Will I get a few undates so I will know I made the right choice? My passion are animals, especially dogs. She had her surgery today and did very well.
just checking

Seguin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Julia, I tried to send you an e-mail but the email came back saying there was no Yahoo address for star adoption.

“Hi Ya'll”

Since: Mar 09

South Shore KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

That's very nice and noble work there. What I want to know is when is anyone ever going to step up and do something similar for all the poor suffering, starving stray cats in the bazillions that are up in here. cats make, if anything, better household pets than dogs an it gets really old seeing them relegated to second and third class citizens behinds the dogs.
dog lover

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Great bunch
home mom

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

do you know were i can find a dog he would stay in the house.
Vicki

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

Judged:

this is to the woman that was suppose to help me find homes for my pups, she came up and took photos but it was awful funny that I never heard from her again. Well she doent need to bother anymore because they all got killed by drivers except two and they are healthy and happy no thanks to this group. The others' deaths are are her hands as far as I am concerned. I asked for help and never recieved any and that is sad.
Call Me Crazy

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

Nice of you to blame someone else for your irresponsibility. Several things you could have done to prevent what happened. First and foremost have the mother spayed, second you should have kept the pups inside or taken them to the pound. Just because you asked for help doesn't mean something didn't happen that it couldn't be given? Did you recontact to ask if they had found a place for them? Sounds like you just wanted someone else to take care of your problem for you while you sat back and did nothing, that is sad.
Vicki wrote:
this is to the woman that was suppose to help me find homes for my pups, she came up and took photos but it was awful funny that I never heard from her again. Well she doent need to bother anymore because they all got killed by drivers except two and they are healthy and happy no thanks to this group. The others' deaths are are her hands as far as I am concerned. I asked for help and never recieved any and that is sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Morehead Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Morehead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Morehead News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Morehead