Water worries arise

Full story: San Bernardino County Sun

A lack of water into the Inland Empire could dampen future land developments and job growth, industry experts said Thursday at an annual water conference.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Aug 21, 2010
Angela

Condon, OR

#1 Aug 13, 2010
Yup. that water is finite just like oil. And Americans like ot pretend it isn't.
Christine

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 13, 2010
People have been saying this for years and students learn this basic concept in ecology class. You cannot continue to develop a population beyond its resources. Water (specifically fresh water) is a limited resource and no amount of land development can supercede this need.
allen james

Orange, CA

#3 Aug 13, 2010
How about sending someone back along with their kids to their own country and maybe we will have enough to go around. Water companies knows no one is going anywhere and they keep crying we donít have enough water, so we will raise your rates to make more money knowing they we have over 2 million extra people in this state to supply water to and they use lack of water to increase rates. The last I read that this state had enough water but warned that over usage will lower levels back to where we were before all the rain we had last winter. So would someone tell me who to believe in this story.
P Olson

La Verne, CA

#4 Aug 13, 2010
allen james wrote:
How about sending someone back along with their kids to their own country and maybe we will have enough to go around. Water companies knows no one is going anywhere and they keep crying we donít have enough water, so we will raise your rates to make more money knowing they we have over 2 million extra people in this state to supply water to and they use lack of water to increase rates. The last I read that this state had enough water but warned that over usage will lower levels back to where we were before all the rain we had last winter. So would someone tell me who to believe in this story.
Enough water for what? The rains last winter did not even come close to replenishing the storage reservoirs to the levels attained prior to the climatic drought.
dave halo

Pomona, CA

#5 Aug 13, 2010
Allen James - if I visit your house, will I find a lawn or desert landscaping? clean cars washed regularly or do let the dirt build up? high tech irrigation controller and sprinklers or run of the mill $30-50 controller from Lowes? a pool? water saving appliances, toilets, shower heads.....

Save you anti-immigrant rhetoric for a right wing page. How did you get here to America? Did your 'ancestors' come over legally?

And if you really want to complain, complain to the businesses that offer illegals jobs and the desire to come here. These are the Americans that are undercutting their own country and neighbors, not the illegals.
P Olson

La Verne, CA

#6 Aug 13, 2010
Christine wrote:
People have been saying this for years and students learn this basic concept in ecology class. You cannot continue to develop a population beyond its resources. Water (specifically fresh water) is a limited resource and no amount of land development can supercede this need.
More specifically, cheap fresh water is a limited resource. The technology exists to desalinate seawater but the cost is high.
RC Realist

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#7 Aug 13, 2010
I say we all dump our water loving lawns and plant rock and cactus. Screw the water companies! They've been making us all conserve while raising our rates to pay for all their modernized facilities and salaries.
Realist

La Verne, CA

#8 Aug 14, 2010
RC Realist wrote:
I say we all dump our water loving lawns and plant rock and cactus. Screw the water companies! They've been making us all conserve while raising our rates to pay for all their modernized facilities and salaries.
They have been raising rates to make up for the revenue decline due to reduced consumption.

Since: Oct 09

Apple Valley, CA

#9 Aug 17, 2010
They're just preparing us for another hike.
Concerned

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Aug 17, 2010
Gee...I thought when all the developers(the Colonies) wanted to build on water recharge and flood control areas they were given the big green light saying there was plenty of water. Concerned residents of the county protested all the building on our natural resources and were ignored. Now it is discovered the citizens were correct(gee big surprise there) and they want the citizens of the county to pay to fix the problem...again no surprise there.

It has not rained much in the past several years. We have less land to capture the water, and more run off and lost water due to over building. We have more people living in those houses that never should have been built putting demands on our limited resources...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what went wrong.

We have greedy, idiots making the decisions and being influenced by campaign dollars, free trips and other vices. And we have lazy residents who won't get off their butts to exercise their rights and cast a vote to fire the corrupt and hire someone who actually knows what "serving their country" really means.

We ask young men and women to die to protect our freedom, yet we won't use our freedom to vote to make sure they have a great country to come home to. Our lack of interest in making sure we put the right people in office is shameful. When it comes right down to it, we have ourselves to blame for keeping the corruption going in SB county and through out the states.

If people want change, they need to be a part of the change.
sandcanyongal

United States

#11 Aug 17, 2010
Here is a good article about the water shortage in San Joaquin Valley. It's nothing like the media presented to the people.
http://www.newsweek.com/2009/08/23/dying-on-t...

With all of the information available about climate change, CA developers need to stop building out permanently. Has anyone noticed that there isn't much watershed anyplace any longer???? We can't live without water and we need to start thinning the population growth.

Since: Oct 09

Apple Valley, CA

#12 Aug 18, 2010
sandcanyongal wrote:
Here is a good article about the water shortage in San Joaquin Valley. It's nothing like the media presented to the people.
http://www.newsweek.com/2009/08/23/dying-on-t...
With all of the information available about climate change, CA developers need to stop building out permanently. Has anyone noticed that there isn't much watershed anyplace any longer???? We can't live without water and we need to start thinning the population growth.
And how do you propose "thinning the population growth"
LEW

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Aug 21, 2010
This area has been in a state of OVERDRAFT for the last 60 years. This is in a USGS study commissioned by the Mojave Water Agency and available at most (is not all) Govt. offices.
This report has been mostly kept under wraps so the MWA, water companies can raise the prices. Remembe the Govt. position is raise taxes- that will cure all.
If you go bact to the days of Newt Bass and "Red" Bass you will find that the water prices were nil.
Maybe the library can get you a copy. Ask for USGS 93-4317 Cut the techical stuff and go directly to the conclusion..
It also states the MAJOR cause for the water shortage is the FORCED installation of the SEWER SYSTEM.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mojave Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr RiccardoFire 200,586
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 15 hr Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Aug 26 matches lighters 15,961
Educators Running Group Homes Bring Violence To... Aug 24 Criminal Invasion... 2
City Manager Martin Magana hires Charles "Chuck... Aug 21 Commander Bunny 9
Carl's Jr Aug 16 Jim Charbonneau 1
•••

Mojave News Video

•••
Mojave Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mojave Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000