Toro plans manufacturing facility in Romania

Full story: TwinCities.com

Toro Co. said today it plans to build an irrigation products facility in Romania to give it greater access to the Eastern European market.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Arnie

Minnetonka, MN

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Come on Toro, make the parts in the US. You're just using greater access to the European market as an excuse.
butch

Wayzata, MN

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Capital flows to where it gets the highest return.

Due to Day-Nut and Obummer, more investments will get made anywhere else in the world. The hatred for business, class warfare on high income wage earners, and desire to wipe out the private sector and replace with government command and control has consequences like this decision to go elsewhere.

Business can make more money for their shareholders by cutting jobs here due to government policies on energy, economy, and personal freedoms. Don't want to accept that fact, well enjoy watching the jobs and prosperity go elsewhere.

Government consumes wealth and provides disservices!
Jerry

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 10, 2011
So Butch, are you saying that if the US were more like Rumania, things would be better? I'll bet you're enjoying some of the better things that life in the US has to offer. Let's face it; it's the prevailing wage that makes companies move their manufacturing plants to third world countries. That doesn't mean we should strive to be one too.
LibAMerican

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 10, 2011
butch wrote:
Capital flows to where it gets the highest return.
Due to Day-Nut and Obummer, more investments will get made anywhere else in the world. The hatred for business, class warfare on high income wage earners, and desire to wipe out the private sector and replace with government command and control has consequences like this decision to go elsewhere.
Business can make more money for their shareholders by cutting jobs here due to government policies on energy, economy, and personal freedoms. Don't want to accept that fact, well enjoy watching the jobs and prosperity go elsewhere.
Government consumes wealth and provides disservices!
Look up the word patriotism and then lecture us Americans how pigs like you want the safety of our military, infrastructure and resources to maintain your ability to conduct business outside the interests of this country.
Jasper P Bung-hole

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 10, 2011
Arnie wrote:
Come on Toro, make the parts in the US. You're just using greater access to the European market as an excuse.
Being an ex-Toro employee, I can say that you're right on. This new plant location has nothing to do with being close to the market, but it has everything to do with cheap labor. There was a time, 20 years ago, where Toro bragged about being American made. I guess it "By Toro, Romanian built" has a better ring to it. Boy, lame excuse.
Gov F Googlie Eyes

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 10, 2011
My brilliant plan is coming together.
butch

Wayzata, MN

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Jerry wrote:
So Butch, are you saying that if the US were more like Rumania, things would be better? I'll bet you're enjoying some of the better things that life in the US has to offer. Let's face it; it's the prevailing wage that makes companies move their manufacturing plants to third world countries. That doesn't mean we should strive to be one too.
Dude:

Not fighting for the tape--just stating how the real world works. Stop pretending that government policies don't matter or affect all of us. Need to make the US more competitive in the overall value proposition and if we don't accept that premise, then don't get mad when decision makers go elsewhere. They don't account to those without an investment stake in their world.
butch

Wayzata, MN

#8 Feb 10, 2011
LibAMerican wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the word patriotism and then lecture us Americans how pigs like you want the safety of our military, infrastructure and resources to maintain your ability to conduct business outside the interests of this country.
"Have not " moron:

Trying to hide behind the skirt of nationalism when it is your clown in office that is leading the attack on the private sector and capitalism out of this country exposes the fraud you represent. A new world order where America doesn't exist is your guy's creed!

Get educated on how markets work, business investments get made, and what happens when idiots like you vote for amateurs based on your feelings. You are a threat to this world.
The Analyst

Wheaton, IL

#9 Feb 10, 2011
Everyone who voted for Mark Dayton is responsible for businesses leaving this state.

They aren't the first and they won't be the last.
Gov F Googlie Eyes

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 10, 2011
The Analyst wrote:
Everyone who voted for Mark Dayton is responsible for businesses leaving this state.
Hey I paid for those votes fair and square!

This message sponsored by Education Minnesota, AFSCME, SEIU, ACORN, MNSCU,.....
butch

Wayzata, MN

#11 Feb 10, 2011
The Analyst wrote:
That is why he is Governor Dangerous--not just because he has g00gly eyes!!!
nunyabizness

Lakeville, MN

#12 Feb 10, 2011
I see that "trickle down" continues to create jobs here in this country. Any other bright ideas? Notice how the stocks rose right after the announcement. Tax incentives don't create jobs, they just make it easier for corporate America to outsource jobs while the executives and shareholders reap the profits.
Terrible Toro

San Francisco, CA

#13 Feb 10, 2011
Clowns like Butch, who only seem to care about the bottom line, tell us all we need to know about this new "rightwing" Chamber of Commerce types. It's all about the shareholders, and screw everyone else. How dare you ask for 10 bucks an hour! We'll just run off to Romania, or Vietnam, or whatever third world country we want to exploit and pay those fools 10 bucks/day. As long as the hedge funds and corporate investors meet their projections and make the big bucks. Why don't you understand that when the middle class is forced out of opportunities to make a living, we as a country are worse off for it. The economy grows when people are out there spending money on food, housing, college, etc. It doesn't grow when millions of tax free dollars sit in some offshore bank. Butch, you and your types are so selfish and narcisistic...as long as you get yours evidently is all that matters. Bottom line: Toro is doing no one a favor by making lawn mowers in Romania, and I for one (and I'm sure many people) will certainly avoid buying any Toro product. If they want to take their jobs abroad, then it's my right to boycott them.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 10, 2011
Thank you Governor Dayton! You demonization of the productive just flushed another business down the lou. Have another Prozac and a line of coke. You'll feel better.
nunyabizness

Lakeville, MN

#15 Feb 10, 2011
The Analyst wrote:
Huh? We've got people blaming a President that's been in office for a couple years, and blaming a governor that's been in office for a month. The seeds were sown for this 10 years ago. If it were a simple matter of Minnesota tax structure, Toro could've gone to any number of states and gotten by cheaper. Instead they outsource to a foreign country for the cheap labor. Between the tolerance of illegal aliens in this country and outsourcing, we're all in deep doo-doo. We should have high tariffs for companies that outsource, and large fines and jail time for executives of companies that hire illegals.
Frosty

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 10, 2011
Would be cool to see a new Toro snow blower plant right here in Minnesota :)
Zingbopper

Sparta, WI

#17 Feb 10, 2011
That's the same excuse Polaris used when they said they were going to close the Osceola,Wi. plant.
They would be " closer " to their target market.
What a bunch of crap. They sure insult our intelligence.
If it were true, then all parts and products should be made here instead of making them over sea's and shipping them back home here.
I hope it back fires on you, you rotten pukes.
butch

Wayzata, MN

#18 Feb 10, 2011
Frosty wrote:
Would be cool to see a new Toro snow blower plant right here in Minnesota :)
Trial lawyers , government regulators overreaching, hostile business climate, global warming, etc. leave a snowball with a better chance in the other hell on earth before that happens!!
butch

Wayzata, MN

#19 Feb 10, 2011
Terrible Toro wrote:
Clowns like Butch, who only seem to care about the bottom line, tell us all we need to know about this new "rightwing" Chamber of Commerce types. It's all about the shareholders, and screw everyone else. How dare you ask for 10 bucks an hour! We'll just run off to Romania, or Vietnam, or whatever third world country we want to exploit and pay those fools 10 bucks/day. As long as the hedge funds and corporate investors meet their projections and make the big bucks. Why don't you understand that when the middle class is forced out of opportunities to make a living, we as a country are worse off for it. The economy grows when people are out there spending money on food, housing, college, etc. It doesn't grow when millions of tax free dollars sit in some offshore bank. Butch, you and your types are so selfish and narcisistic...as long as you get yours evidently is all that matters. Bottom line: Toro is doing no one a favor by making lawn mowers in Romania, and I for one (and I'm sure many people) will certainly avoid buying any Toro product. If they want to take their

jobs abroad, then it's my right to boycott them.
Don't you have a protest to go to today so using the library computer again.

FYI none of Toro products are allowed in your city so your boycott won't matter just like you and what your told to think doesn't matter loon!

When will you stop whining about people who have more ambition, knowledge and motivation? Just because you are unsuccessful, uninformed, and a lib loon isn't going to persuade anyone to join your miserable lot!

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Feb 10, 2011
You people do understand the the highest cost of producing small parts like this is transportation, right? Labor costs per unit to watch a machine mold out 1000s of pieces an hour is very low, but shipping those finished products to market across the sea is very expensive. If they made the parts here, between the increased (and yes, I'll bet the labor is cheaper there)cost of labor, plus the shipping cost (huge cost to ship half-way around the world), they could not be competitive in the markets there, because these parts are very low cost to the consumer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 43 min LessHypeMoreFact 32,494
The 1% Should Pay Their Fair Share in Taxes 2 hr Billy 39
Men who don't like football 7 hr Victor 10
Minneapolis: A Hotbed For Radical Islam 7 hr Pietro 78
Bar Abilene in Uptown closes 10 hr cowboy chris 1
Happy Labor Day. Are Unions Dead? 10 hr UncleSi 4
Looters mar vigil for teen shot by Missouri police 10 hr UncleSi 25
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000