United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

Does anyone know anything about the school yet? I have seen them working out there just havent heard much about the teachers or anything.

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

I heard that tuition was going to run in the neighborhood of $3,500-$5,000.00.

I've also heard that they have already hired teachers, but no names have been mentioned as of yet.

I love the idea of private schooling being offered in Milan, but I wonder in this really bad economy who will be able to afford the cost of tuition.
Amazing Opportunity

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

I read in the news paper a cpl of weeks ago that they had announced the names of all of the teachers. I think this is a great addition to our town and community. I called the other day and found out that the tuition was cheaper or comparable to weekly day care rates. As I stated, this is an awesome opportunity.
really

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

Evidently people from MILAN!!!!
GUEST wrote:
I heard that tuition was going to run in the neighborhood of $3,500-$5,000.00.
I've also heard that they have already hired teachers, but no names have been mentioned as of yet.
I love the idea of private schooling being offered in Milan, but I wonder in this really bad economy who will be able to afford the cost of tuition.

Since: Feb 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

Amazing Opportunity wrote:
I read in the news paper a cpl of weeks ago that they had announced the names of all of the teachers. I think this is a great addition to our town and community. I called the other day and found out that the tuition was cheaper or comparable to weekly day care rates. As I stated, this is an awesome opportunity.
I haven't seen the list of teachers in our local paper???? I would love to know who the teacher are too.
a few

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Amy Todd is Pre K teacher she has been a teacher for many many years in pre k in a differnt county.... Cindy Smith will also be a teacher there I believe 4th grade not sure on that one June McCourt is the Principal and of course there are more teachers but not sure about the names....I'm sure you could call Temple office and they could tell you.
really

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Teachers' names were published two weeks ago in Mirror Exchange. teacher/pupil ratio 2/1!
lynnkat wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't seen the list of teachers in our local paper???? I would love to know who the teacher are too.
info

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

June McCourt will serve as principal. She received a B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Tennessee at Martin and a Master’s degree in Education with a major in Elementary Education and minor in Special Education Vision from Middle Tennessee State.
Amy Todd has been hired as a Pre-K teacher. She earned her B.S. in Early Childhood Education from Memphis State University.
Julie Price will teach KindergarMilan
Christian Academy hires first teachers
Milan Christian Academy“HOME OF THE MILAN KNIGHTS”ten. She has a B.S. in Business/Marketing from Union University and a Master’s in Education from Union University.
Cassie Chapel is the first grade teacher and has a B.S. in Elementary Education from UTM.
Rebecca Hobson will teach second grade. She earned a B.S. in Elementary Education from Union University.
Erin Schweitzer will teach third grade and has a B.S. in Elementary Education from UTM.
Cindy Smith, who holds a B.S. in Education from MTSU and a M.S. in Education from Walden University, will teach fifth grade.
The position for fourth grade is still being determined.
MCA will enroll 50 students this fall and will add a grade each school year. After three years of existence the school will be fully accredited by the federal government, but the State of Tennessee will recognize MCA as an accredited school after the first day of classes.
The school has chosen the ABEKA learning curriculum.
First day of school is August 29.
wow

Trezevant, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Judged:

Waste of money.. I can teach them how to make koolaid ALOT cheaper ;)
Mom of 2

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Judged:

It's a shame I can't use the money I pay in school taxes to send my kids here. I got a letter today stating that Milan schools are on a 'High Priority' list since they did not meet state and fed standards in reading and math. The letter also states that if there was another school in the district that did meet the standards then the student would be eligible to transfer to that school. But there is no other school in the area. I like lots of other parents can't afford to pay school taxes on top of tuition for a private school. My question is this....Why are the educators getting raises when the students are not making the grades???

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Judged:

I couldn't agree more!

I too received the same letter from Dr. Reel. Personally, I like the typo in the second paragraph. I'm pretty certain that this letter wasn't drafted by Dr. Reel, but it sure reflects badly on her to send it out with typos.

Roanoke, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

info wrote:
June McCourt will serve as principal. She received a B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Tennessee at Martin and a Master’s degree in Education with a major in Elementary Education and minor in Special Education Vision from Middle Tennessee State.
Amy Todd has been hired as a Pre-K teacher. She earned her B.S. in Early Childhood Education from Memphis State University.
Julie Price will teach KindergarMilan
Christian Academy hires first teachers
Milan Christian Academy“HOME OF THE MILAN KNIGHTS”ten. She has a B.S. in Business/Marketing from Union University and a Master’s in Education from Union University.
Cassie Chapel is the first grade teacher and has a B.S. in Elementary Education from UTM.
Rebecca Hobson will teach second grade. She earned a B.S. in Elementary Education from Union University.
Erin Schweitzer will teach third grade and has a B.S. in Elementary Education from UTM.
Cindy Smith, who holds a B.S. in Education from MTSU and a M.S. in Education from Walden University, will teach fifth grade.
The position for fourth grade is still being determined.
MCA will enroll 50 students this fall and will add a grade each school year. After three years of existence the school will be fully accredited by the federal government, but the State of Tennessee will recognize MCA as an accredited school after the first day of classes.
The school has chosen the ABEKA learning curriculum.
First day of school is August 29.
Is this the same Amy Todd that taught at West Carroll? She was best known for two things - screaming at the students and calling a substitute. By the way, has anyone seen the scores for West Carroll Primary? Might want to check them out.
Mom of 2

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

GUEST wrote:
I couldn't agree more!
I too received the same letter from Dr. Reel. Personally, I like the typo in the second paragraph. I'm pretty certain that this letter wasn't drafted by Dr. Reel, but it sure reflects badly on her to send it out with typos.
Absolutely!! I noticed the typos too...maybe I should correct it in red ink and send it back to her!!:D

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Judged:

Mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely!! I noticed the typos too...maybe I should correct it in red ink and send it back to her!!:D
I think that's a GREAT idea! I'd love to see the look on Dr. Reels face when she received it.
concerned parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Not sure about Amy Todd but June McCourt came from Trenton and she is by the book and you will never find one person that could say anything bad about her.
UR Wrong

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

First of all, only Milan Elementary is on the "High Priority" list. The middle school and high school are in good standing. Secondly, I know for a fact that Gibson County and Bradford are not on any list. In fact, if you read the Milan Mirror this week, you'll find that Bradford received recognition for have such outstanding scores!
We have a lot of great public schools in Gibson County...better than most other communities. No doubt Dr. Reel will get straightened out what needs to be fixed at the Elementary. You can't judge a system by one down year in grades.
Mom of 2

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

UR Wrong wrote:
First of all, only Milan Elementary is on the "High Priority" list. The middle school and high school are in good standing. Secondly, I know for a fact that Gibson County and Bradford are not on any list. In fact, if you read the Milan Mirror this week, you'll find that Bradford received recognition for have such outstanding scores!
We have a lot of great public schools in Gibson County...better than most other communities. No doubt Dr. Reel will get straightened out what needs to be fixed at the Elementary. You can't judge a system by one down year in grades.
Pardon me...Milan Elemetary school is on the 'High priority list'. And I should have clarified that there is not another school in this DISTRICT that is an alternative. That is what is stated in the letter I received. Personally, I feel TCAP should be done away with. Too much money and time is wasted on this.
well

Roanoke, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

MES is on the 'High Priority List' and MMS is on probation this year. If the MMS scores are down again then they go on the 'High Priority List' and MES will be close to being taken over by the state. I think most teachers and parents agree that TCAP needs to be adjusted or changed completely, but with people that are not teachers (or who was once there for just a few minutes) serving as the ones in control of these decisions then we have to push our kids to do well and help our teachers. I don't think that Milan Special School District is going to get better with Dr. Reel or the others that are in authority in the school system. Most of the teachers are miserable because of the way they are treated even when trying to do their best. I hope that more people can take advantage of the MCA school. Their curriculum is a very strong curriculum that will challenge the students to be outstanding academically.

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Our educators and students would be so much better off if the No Child Left Behind legislation were done away with.

Good teachers aren't allowed to "teach" because they are way too busy trying to meet testing standards. If those standards aren't met there is hell to pay, trust me.

Since: Feb 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

GUEST wrote:
Our educators and students would be so much better off if the No Child Left Behind legislation were done away with.
Good teachers aren't allowed to "teach" because they are way too busy trying to meet testing standards. If those standards aren't met there is hell to pay, trust me.
I agree with you 100 per cent.. They are more worried about the test scores that if the child can read....If he can't read some one will read it to him... so sad...I have a grandson in MES... he is is the third grade and read on a 1st grade level and I have fussed with the teachers last and tried to get him help. Six weeks before school was out they put him in tutoring..... One day a week he got to play on the pc.... I can do that at home,,,, They didn't help him at all.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of132
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Milan Discussions

Search the Milan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 1 hr WTSenior 123,882
TN Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns (Oct '10) 1 hr sally 58,245
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr sally 8,462
Clark Family Homes (Apr '12) 2 hr I KNOW 25
Trouble 2 hr already knnow 3
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 8 hr bob 8,504
Thinking of moving to Milan 15 hr guest 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Milan Jobs

•••
•••
•••