Study shows later school start time more in tune with teens' sleep ...

Full story: Lowell Sun 14
Giving teens 30 extra minutes to start their school day leads to more alertness in class, better moods, less tardiness, and even healthier breakfasts, a small study found. Full Story
ridiculous

Hudson, NH

#1 Jul 12, 2010
I attended high school 92-96. I often was doing homework until 12 or 1am, and up at 5am to get the bus. I admit, there were days I was tired, but it worked, and I was a straight A, multi-sport, multi-program student. Our classes started at 7:55, and we turned out fine. cutting class time by 5-10 minutes does nothing but cut valuable learning time. why not start at 8:30 and go until 3:30? Is it really that bad?
teacher

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Jul 12, 2010
Schools have always had it backwards, the younger students in my class have been up for hours watching tv before I get them and my high schooler has to be dragged out of bed to get to school early. I feel that they don't want to flip the times because of "working parents" and the need for daycare not because of what is good for the education of the student.
also thinking

East Hampton, CT

#3 Jul 12, 2010
how do you know "we" turned out fine? you're one person. not every kid is an overachiever like you were or has your metabolism. multiple scientific studies have shown the same results as this study. "it was good enough for me, so it's good enough for everyone on the planet" is a rather narcissitic limited point of view.
TownieToo

Chelmsford, MA

#4 Jul 13, 2010
We've known this for years but along with the child care issue is the sports-driven schedule, especially at the High School level! If one or two schools choose to start later it messes with their ability to participate in scheduled games or competitions. Gotta love the sports mentality!
Lacey

Providence, RI

#5 Jul 13, 2010
I recall being exhausted throughout high school despite being an excellent student. My brain did not wake up until noon. In comparison, College and graduate school timed their courses at reasonable hours. I have read some research indicating adolescents need 11 hours of sleep.

However, Townie Too you have a very good point.(Not only sports, but other extracurricular activities students pursue after school is over.)
ridiculous

Billerica, MA

#6 Jul 14, 2010
also thinking wrote:
how do you know "we" turned out fine? you're one person. not every kid is an overachiever like you were or has your metabolism. multiple scientific studies have shown the same results as this study. "it was good enough for me, so it's good enough for everyone on the planet" is a rather narcissitic limited point of view.
I would say 90% of my class went on to college, and were better prepared due to time management skills, AND able to get up for that 8am class. Our sports programs didn't start until 3ish, and when we had meets, they usually were not until 4. After school programs ran until 3:30/4ish. Regardless, like i said, esp senior year, yes, there were times I was exhausted, but, you make it through and get the job done.

Basing things around sports schedules is just another example of how royally skewed our priorities are when it comes to children. Other countries go to school through the summer, and for 8 hour days... we're now proposing to cut MORE time out of our school days? wake up America, education is more important than touchdowns.
meg

Manchester, NH

#7 Jul 14, 2010
The same kids would be on time and the same ones would be late for school still. For the 10 percent that are late every single day give them a zero for the classes they miss and make sure it is something they need to graduate. I would venture to say they will be on time if they can't graduate with the class. High school was always a prep for working or college, the workplace is not going to change the hours for a few and college will not either.
ridiculous

Hudson, NH

#8 Jul 14, 2010
meg wrote:
The same kids would be on time and the same ones would be late for school still. For the 10 percent that are late every single day give them a zero for the classes they miss and make sure it is something they need to graduate. I would venture to say they will be on time if they can't graduate with the class. High school was always a prep for working or college, the workplace is not going to change the hours for a few and college will not either.
well said! if they want to be treated like adults, make them act like adults.
MVG

Woburn, MA

#9 Jul 14, 2010
teacher wrote:
Schools have always had it backwards, the younger students in my class have been up for hours watching tv before I get them and my high schooler has to be dragged out of bed to get to school early. I feel that they don't want to flip the times because of "working parents" and the need for daycare not because of what is good for the education of the student.
I agree with you. As the parent of kids ranging in age from 7 to 20, we've had very recent experience with this. The youngest are up at the crack of dawn and the teens have trouble falling asleep at night and then getting up very early for school. It's not laziness, their biological clocks seem to be set that way...I remember being the same way as a teen, though I'm an early to bed, early to rise type as an adult.

I think two things drive the backwardness of the respective school schedules: 1) working parents like having the middle and high schoolers out earlier, to pick up the elementary school kids at the bus and 2) high school sports schedules.

I'm in Westford, where after school care through the Rec Department is pretty affordable, so I consider 1 a non-issue, I've never used my teens for daycare, they have enough homework and activities to do in the afternoon. I've never liked letting sports take precedence over everything else. We are becoming Sparta.
Carbone

Warwick, RI

#10 Jul 15, 2010
the study is bologna. kids are staying up way too late surfing the net, texting friends, or yapping on their cellphones.

get a good night's rest and that alarm clock will not be so painful in the morning.
just the facts

Lowell, MA

#11 Jul 15, 2010
Carbone wrote:
the study is bologna. kids are staying up way too late surfing the net, texting friends, or yapping on their cellphones.
get a good night's rest and that alarm clock will not be so painful in the morning.
What research have you done on this matter?
absolute

Chelsea, MA

#12 Jul 15, 2010
Carbone wrote:
I'm not sure I'm with you on this. When I was in high school, the internet was a luxury that we didn't have at home and cellphones weren't really on the map either yet. I didn't have a tv in my room like many of my friends and I wasn't allowed to use the "house phone" past 9pm. I struggled to get out of bed every morning, and still do!

Even though I eat well, exercise, and get at least 8 hours of sleep, I still find it difficult . I really believe that some people's biological rhythms are just set differently. Sometimes it's more complex than just "getting a good night's rest".
Ron

Lowell, MA

#13 Jul 15, 2010
Tough darts. Kids should learn to go to be earlier and be more responsible. What a weak generation. God help this country in the future because kids these days are lacking.
MVG

Westford, MA

#14 Jul 16, 2010
absolute wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I'm with you on this. When I was in high school, the internet was a luxury that we didn't have at home and cellphones weren't really on the map either yet. I didn't have a tv in my room like many of my friends and I wasn't allowed to use the "house phone" past 9pm. I struggled to get out of bed every morning, and still do!
Even though I eat well, exercise, and get at least 8 hours of sleep, I still find it difficult . I really believe that some people's biological rhythms are just set differently. Sometimes it's more complex than just "getting a good night's rest".
I agree with you. There was no such thing as the Internet when I was in high school. No cell phones, of course, no cable TV, not even a VCR. I did go to bed fairly early, like 10:00pm and still had trouble rising. As an adult, I'm an early riser, around 5am. But, not as a teen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middletown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you support Bobby Oliveira? 13 hr ConcernedCitizen 0
Gay snapchat (Oct '13) Fri maxwelltj 42
'An Inconvenient Truth' comes to Block Island (Jul '06) Dec 7 SpaceBlues 9
Rhode Island teen jailed for allegedly assaulti... Oct '14 Zacuraman 1
U.S. to press India on trade row during Modi's ... Oct '14 Humhainna 3
HELP!! LOST!!! "Eagle" RC Model Sailboat!!! Sep '14 bhpriestley 1
Car connected to threat against Obama located i... Aug '14 Monty Anaconda 3
Middletown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web