College Kids selling books door-to-door scam

Posted in the Middletown Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 75 Comments Last updated Jul 18, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
dgm1960

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 6, 2008
 
There is a scam going on in Middletown that involves 2 college age young men who come to your door requesting that you purchase childrens' books so that they can win some "scholarship" to go to intern with the BBC in London. They claim to be kids of neighbors, but they are not. Be careful.
ccj67

Somerville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 14, 2008
 
This happened to me! Is there any further information as to what happens after you purchase their books?
dgm1960 wrote:
There is a scam going on in Middletown that involves 2 college age young men who come to your door requesting that you purchase childrens' books so that they can win some "scholarship" to go to intern with the BBC in London. They claim to be kids of neighbors, but they are not. Be careful.
Turd Ferguson

Middletown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 18, 2008
 
ccj67 wrote:
This happened to me! Is there any further information as to what happens after you purchase their books?
<quoted text>
Yes, will notice that you do not have as much cash as you did prior to the purchase. Interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge?
michael cameron

Crouse, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 18, 2008
 
i just want to say these kids are not bad i sell magazines door2door the company i work for is ligit i checked it out my self we are not aioud to lie the proper canvass should be 1,000 dollers and a trip somewere cool. they should not say any thing school. if they do call police as soon as it happens. befor they leave the area you would still get your books or magazines in 120 days but dirty canvassing kids make hard for the ones that dont lie they are shown the right way and we are not allowed to do any kind donations to hospitals or troops so if a kid comes by telling the truth now that you know what the truth is be friendly with he/she he is just trying to eat i was homeless be for this job or a home. you try being 16 under a bridge in a box with no food for a week thank you god bless and merry christmas
Phil McCracken

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 18, 2008
 
before you consider selling your books, you must ask yourself...'what would Bernard Madoff do?" Religious affiliations aside, you must ask yourself that very important questions...
Paul in Ventnor NJ

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 30, 2009
 
dgm1960 wrote:
There is a scam going on in Middletown that involves 2 college age young men who come to your door requesting that you purchase childrens' books so that they can win some "scholarship" to go to intern with the BBC in London. They claim to be kids of neighbors, but they are not. Be careful.
same story in my neighborhood. Young man got my neighbor for $50 and made an excuse to get away when I asked for ID. Said he was "from around the corner" and acted all "aw shucks". Very plausible except lays it on a little thick; claimed his "mom" told him he'd have to come back and do chores for neighbors who were especially generous
Paul in Ventnor NJ

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 30, 2009
 
same story in my neighborhood. Young man got my neighbor for $50 and made an excuse to get away when I asked for ID. Said he was "from around the corner" and acted all "aw shucks". Very plausible except lays it on a little thick; claimed his "mom" told him he'd have to come back and do chores for neighbors who were especially generous
jeanne

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 2, 2010
 
Paul in Ventnor NJ wrote:
same story in my neighborhood. Young man got my neighbor for $50 and made an excuse to get away when I asked for ID. Said he was "from around the corner" and acted all "aw shucks". Very plausible except lays it on a little thick; claimed his "mom" told him he'd have to come back and do chores for neighbors who were especially generous
do you know if they did more damage than take off with the check? Same thing happening here in CA and I stupidly wrote a check, concerned they may go after my account. Already put stop payment on check. thanks
Brad Warner

La Mirada, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

jeanne wrote:
<quoted text>
do you know if they did more damage than take off with the check? Same thing happening here in CA and I stupidly wrote a check, concerned they may go after my account. Already put stop payment on check. thanks
I live in Southern California. Last night two Kids about 19 or 20 yrs old came to my front door with the same scam. Well, I did'nt by into it and called the police both kids were arrested. These kids are from Florida they drove an old SUV scamming people from state to state.
Cathy

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 23, 2010
 
Also in SoCal and sounds like same night I foolishly fell for their story of being with UCLA music program trying to go to London. Just lost $20 bucks I guess
Calmdown

Brentwood, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 22, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

1

This is not a scam people. There is a company that recruits college students to sell educational childrens books door to door. There is no reason to be worried it was possibly from this company The Southwestern Co in Nashville Tennessee. They have been in business since 1855 an orginally sold bibles. Google the Southwestern Co they are a great company that train college students into being business owners of large corporations. The door to door sells trains them to keep working hard and builds confidence to use for future endevors. It's a shame that anyone would be worried of a college student giving up his/her whole summer to work hard and make money to provide food and a placeto live for themselves while gaining life experience in business all while selling great educational books for children. Do not
be fooled into thinking everyone is out to get your money.
Very true

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 3, 2010
 
The same thing happened to me and I live in Southern California. It's happened 3 times. The first time, I fell for it. When I asked the guy what courses he was taking in college, he seemed clueless. I lost $60. The next time, another young guy tried and I told him that I had already donated to his "friend". The 3rd time it was a young lady, saying she had a child and was trying to "do right by her baby" to try to raise money for tuition. The area I live in is a very well to do area. All of these kids said they were from "around the way", which in hindsight is impossible because their grammar and carriage made them appear like they were from the ghettos of somewhere, but definitely not here. It's sad really. To go around nice neighborhoods begging strangers for money is pretty pathetic.
Very true

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 3, 2010
 
I doubt they are legit. No one with integrity goes door-to-door begging strangers for tuition money. There are plenty of minimum wage jobs for real students out there. There's really no need to be bothering nice people in nice communities.
Calmdown wrote:
This is not a scam people. There is a company that recruits college students to sell educational childrens books door to door. There is no reason to be worried it was possibly from this company The Southwestern Co in Nashville Tennessee. They have been in business since 1855 an orginally sold bibles. Google the Southwestern Co they are a great company that train college students into being business owners of large corporations. The door to door sells trains them to keep working hard and builds confidence to use for future endevors. It's a shame that anyone would be worried of a college student giving up his/her whole summer to work hard and make money to provide food and a placeto live for themselves while gaining life experience in business all while selling great educational books for children. Do not
be fooled into thinking everyone is out to get your money.
Turd Ferguson

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 3, 2010
 
Calmdown wrote:
This is not a scam people. There is a company that recruits college students to sell educational childrens books door to door. There is no reason to be worried it was possibly from this company The Southwestern Co in Nashville Tennessee. They have been in business since 1855 an orginally sold bibles. Google the Southwestern Co they are a great company that train college students into being business owners of large corporations. The door to door sells trains them to keep working hard and builds confidence to use for future endevors. It's a shame that anyone would be worried of a college student giving up his/her whole summer to work hard and make money to provide food and a placeto live for themselves while gaining life experience in business all while selling great educational books for children. Do not
be fooled into thinking everyone is out to get your money.
Screw you...
Kevin

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 4, 2010
 
Last night i had two girls come to my door with the same story, thier class is going to london and they are trying to sell children's books to get enough points. They also claimed they lived in the neighborhood. When i told them i wasn't interested, they responded "Well if you daughter comes to my parents house selling stuff for school, my parents will help her out", i told them they were very rude and please leave my property. few min later i saw a mini van drive through the neighborhood with them in it with a few other kids. If this is legit (which i think it is) why do they lie and say they are from the neighborhood when they really aren't, and be so rude when i don't want to buy.
First Class Jerk

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 4, 2010
 
Kevin wrote:
Last night i had two girls come to my door with the same story, thier class is going to london and they are trying to sell children's books to get enough points. They also claimed they lived in the neighborhood. When i told them i wasn't interested, they responded "Well if you daughter comes to my parents house selling stuff for school, my parents will help her out", i told them they were very rude and please leave my property. few min later i saw a mini van drive through the neighborhood with them in it with a few other kids. If this is legit (which i think it is) why do they lie and say they are from the neighborhood when they really aren't, and be so rude when i don't want to buy.
Either you are an idiot, or you were hoping for a two on one. Your pick...
not falling for it

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 10, 2010
 
I'm in tulsa, and a girl came and asked me to support her for going to school because she wanted to get her teaching degree. She wanted me to buy books because her broadcasting class was having a contest and she only needed 3 more people to buy books from her so she could get a trip to london to go to the BBC. She then said she was going to interview Rush Limbaugh but that she was going to be on ESPN. She kept asking would you listen to me, would you watch me? It was very rehearsed and she was very into telling me what books I should buy to benefit the children's hospital. I wanted to believe it was legit, but she never told me her name, and when i asked if she lived in our complex, she oh no, but didn't say where she lived, and told me she would be back tomorrow. She stood out on the corner of the street for over 4 hours after that. She had cards, that she let me look at, but it looked like she printed them off the internet. Just wasn't sure about it, and don't want to run into her again tomorrow everytime I take my dog out. Think I'm gonna alert the complex managers.
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I had a young girl come over tonight trying to sell me books so she could go to London and intern w/ the BBC. She said she was my neighbor so the first thing I asked her was her address. She immediately told me it was only her parents that lived here and she had a falling out with them...blah, blah. Really? You don't know your parents address? How about their name or phone number? No? Well, I politely told her "no" and called the police when she left so that none of the older people in my neighborhood would fall for her story.
Jerod

Glasgow, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Find books you need for college at collegebooksnow.com . A great place to start your search for college text books.

Oh by the way I would not trust anyone who showed up on my door step selleng anything, but thats just me.
houma La

Thibodaux, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 12, 2010
 
Cathy wrote:
Also in SoCal and sounds like same night I foolishly fell for their story of being with UCLA music program trying to go to London. Just lost $20 bucks I guess
Kid just came by asking for money to buy books for kids in childrens hospital (New Orleans) said he was neighbors kid.when I asked about his parents (ummm ummm) could get it out...Hmm
He's not from around my neighborhood. Afterletting him know I wasn't interested he was rude and left.
If this kid was hungry I would have given him food.
Don't like the lying.
Houma, La.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Middletown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eli looks sharp. 18 hr DaStraw 8
DaStraw Wed DaStraw 4
A rather unique local topic for sure.... Aug 16 DaStraw 1
Ball fields at Clearwater! Aug 16 DaStraw 1
Understanding Medical Surgical Nursing 4th Edit... (Feb '14) Aug 8 jack 2
Don't forget the Fireman's Fair in Navesink thi... Aug 7 DaStraw 1
Red Bank Cocktail Week! Aug 6 DaStraw 7

Search the Middletown Forum:
•••

Middletown News Video

•••
•••

Middletown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Middletown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Middletown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Middletown
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••