Progressive voters group members have their say

Dona Ana County Democrats who consider themselves progressive voters listened to what their peers had to say Thursday on issues, events and candidates important to them. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#1 Feb 27, 2010
Wow, Meeting ,plotting and planning YOUR future and YOUR tax dollars for 5 years already in LC. Nationally, 40 years of liberalism and "progressivism" in our schools and universities, government institutions,foreign and domestic policies which is causing this country's decline. Does anyone know when the next Tea Party rally or meeting is?
LC Native

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Feb 27, 2010
The progressives are an insidious group led by a lousy writer named Don Kurtz. He's the guy pulling the string of the city council, and ALL of them but Dolores Connor are progressives. Their goal is to rid this town of las cruces natives and make it like Santa Fe, Boulder or other progressive cities. If you don't believe me, look at the vision 2040 plan yourself.
law abiding citizen

Farmington, NM

#3 Feb 27, 2010
These progressive voters are going to run us into the ground!
Concerned

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Feb 27, 2010
Check Boulder, all the plans have failed. Go see Thomas.
Violet - Las Cruces

Rio Rancho, NM

#5 Feb 27, 2010
Progressives are about looking to the future, that maybe the "status quo" is not all that wonderful. The group that ran us into the ground, literally, with overbuilding and under-planning suddenly had their power lessened by the last two or three City election cycles. Seems to me that most Las Cruces citizens want their city not only to be attractive and livable but have its City leaders look at planning for growth at least ten years ahead if not more. Lots of mistakes were made in previous city administrations who seemed to think building as many houses as possible was the only way to grow our economy. Now we are blessed with empty houses, unfinished subdivisions, and traffic problems because of no planning; looks like progressives have better ideas. I support progressive thinking.
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#6 Feb 27, 2010
Violet - Las Cruces wrote:
Progressives are about looking to the future, that maybe the "status quo" is not all that wonderful. The group that ran us into the ground, literally, with overbuilding and under-planning suddenly had their power lessened by the last two or three City election cycles. Seems to me that most Las Cruces citizens want their city not only to be attractive and livable but have its City leaders look at planning for growth at least ten years ahead if not more. Lots of mistakes were made in previous city administrations who seemed to think building as many houses as possible was the only way to grow our economy. Now we are blessed with empty houses, unfinished subdivisions, and traffic problems because of no planning; looks like progressives have better ideas. I support progressive thinking.
Everyone looks to the future. Some just have better plans than others and are more rational and empathetic of individuals rights and freedoms. That's were "progressivism" fails.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Feb 27, 2010
From the writing of the Declaration of Independence I can't think of a damn thing worth while changed in this country that wasn't initiated by progressives. If it had been left to the conservatives, we'd still be playing God Save the Queen as our national anthem and saluting the Union Jack.

The concept of 'freedom' is not the same for a liberal as it is for a conservative. Liberals/Progressives are aware that individual freedom is contingent on empathy and shared responsibility of the community. Conservatives feel freedom means freedom from any governmental interference.

Conservatives believe everyone should do it by themselves. Liberals say “Together, we can do it yourself!”

Conservatives think they are Daniel Boone, the individualist, while Liberals know they are Viking crews planning their raids as a group.
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#8 Feb 27, 2010
PlacitasRoy wrote:
From the writing of the Declaration of Independence I can't think of a damn thing worth while changed in this country that wasn't initiated by progressives. If it had been left to the conservatives, we'd still be playing God Save the Queen as our national anthem and saluting the Union Jack.
The concept of 'freedom' is not the same for a liberal as it is for a conservative. Liberals/Progressives are aware that individual freedom is contingent on empathy and shared responsibility of the community. Conservatives feel freedom means freedom from any governmental interference.
Conservatives believe everyone should do it by themselves. Liberals say “Together, we can do it yourself!”
Conservatives think they are Daniel Boone, the individualist, while Liberals know they are Viking crews planning their raids as a group.
lol. Hilarious.
TexasRanger

El Paso, TX

#9 Feb 27, 2010
Border Native-American wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. Hilarious.
I know, thought I put on the children's comedy channel.
Canadascalling

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Feb 27, 2010
Completely agree, Placitas. These hateful Tea Party posters likely don't even know what the original Boston Tea Party was motivated by. They listen to the likes of Glenn Beck (who goes to the library "where books are free"). I tried to listen to Beck's CPAC speech and I'm pretty sure he was drunk. There is no actual logic to his beliefs, but he rhymes words and that pleases the conservative audiences. They like rhymes. I heard a democrat today who said that he is a good candidate because his record gives the republicans nothing to attack. We all had a good laugh at that; republicans don't care about truth, silly! Their uneducated followers will believe any lie they are fed.

It is great that in order to hate the progressives, you have to admit that you are against progress.

I give Mattiace (and Greg Sowards) credit for attending the PVA meeting and not feeling the need to make negative comments about it publicly. Makes me respect the former mayor.
PlacitasRoy wrote:
From the writing of the Declaration of Independence I can't think of a damn thing worth while changed in this country that wasn't initiated by progressives. If it had been left to the conservatives, we'd still be playing God Save the Queen as our national anthem and saluting the Union Jack.
The concept of 'freedom' is not the same for a liberal as it is for a conservative. Liberals/Progressives are aware that individual freedom is contingent on empathy and shared responsibility of the community. Conservatives feel freedom means freedom from any governmental interference.
Conservatives believe everyone should do it by themselves. Liberals say “Together, we can do it yourself!”
Conservatives think they are Daniel Boone, the individualist, while Liberals know they are Viking crews planning their raids as a group.
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#11 Feb 27, 2010
Canadascalling wrote:
Completely agree, Placitas. These hateful Tea Party posters likely don't even know what the original Boston Tea Party was motivated by. They listen to the likes of Glenn Beck (who goes to the library "where books are free"). I tried to listen to Beck's CPAC speech and I'm pretty sure he was drunk. There is no actual logic to his beliefs, but he rhymes words and that pleases the conservative audiences. They like rhymes. I heard a democrat today who said that he is a good candidate because his record gives the republicans nothing to attack. We all had a good laugh at that; republicans don't care about truth, silly! Their uneducated followers will believe any lie they are fed.
It is great that in order to hate the progressives, you have to admit that you are against progress.
I give Mattiace (and Greg Sowards) credit for attending the PVA meeting and not feeling the need to make negative comments about it publicly. Makes me respect the former mayor.
<quoted text>
That's right cry "hate". It's the new "racism" cry. I will admit I am against "progressivism" in the radical anti-American left wing bent, but I am all for conservative progress, the same kind that made this the greatest nation on earth.

To end: YOU as a "progressive" would have to haved liked Stalin murdering 20 million farmers in the name of collectivism, or Mao murdering 100,000,000 people in the name of "collectivism". Or did the communists call that "progressivism" too?
Ed Frank

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Feb 27, 2010
As an outsider, who attended that PVA meeting, I have to say that it exemplified the true meaning of democracy. There was no hate. People spoke about matters of personal concern or items of community importance and the audience listened respectfully. PVA is group that hasn't lost its optimism for positive change in the community. A meeting like this wouldn't be possible in the big city in which I was born.
Jimmy Jam

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Feb 28, 2010
LC Native wrote:
The progressives are an insidious group led by a lousy writer named Don Kurtz. He's the guy pulling the string of the city council, and ALL of them but Dolores Connor are progressives. Their goal is to rid this town of las cruces natives and make it like Santa Fe, Boulder or other progressive cities. If you don't believe me, look at the vision 2040 plan yourself.
Well no matter what you think of the PVA they have won every election that they have pushed their agenda. They own the mayor, city council, Dona Ana Comm and the state legislative seats- the proof is there.
just info

El Paso, TX

#15 Feb 28, 2010
Lets see here, according to Roy the founding fathers were progressive/liberals. Lets look at a few things they said and then decide.

Lets start with the Declaration, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. "

Sounds kind of conservative to me but lets not stop there.

Thomas Jefferson, "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

So still sounds sort of Conservative to me.

Now how about a couple from Benjamin Franklin, "Mine is better than ours" "The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."

Still kind of conservative to me. Sounds like take care of yourself and keep what you earn. Conservative ideas.

There are many more but just a couple examples. The so called Progressive/Liberal want to take what one person makes and give it to those that don't make it on their own. No different than the King taking it for himself. The bottom line is that some are living of the labors of others. That is the Progressive/Liberal model while the Conservative model is earn what you can and keep what you earn. Live off your own labor.
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#16 Feb 28, 2010
just info wrote:
Lets see here, according to Roy the founding fathers were progressive/liberals. Lets look at a few things they said and then decide.
Lets start with the Declaration, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. "
Sounds kind of conservative to me but lets not stop there.
Thomas Jefferson, "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
So still sounds sort of Conservative to me.
Now how about a couple from Benjamin Franklin, "Mine is better than ours" "The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
Still kind of conservative to me. Sounds like take care of yourself and keep what you earn. Conservative ideas.
There are many more but just a couple examples. The so called Progressive/Liberal want to take what one person makes and give it to those that don't make it on their own. No different than the King taking it for himself. The bottom line is that some are living of the labors of others. That is the Progressive/Liberal model while the Conservative model is earn what you can and keep what you earn. Live off your own labor.
I was just going mention what you mentioned. The Founding Fathers, the original Tea bag party. I agree.
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#17 Feb 28, 2010
lol. Make that Tea Party. They didn't package tea in bags then.
just info

El Paso, TX

#18 Feb 28, 2010
Border Native-American wrote:
lol. Make that Tea Party. They didn't package tea in bags then.
Agree. It is funny how people like Roy now call what was done then as Liberal/Progressive. The whole premise of the Revolution was individual rights and the entire premise of the Libs is collective, sort of reminds me of the USSR.
As for the one that said the Tea Partiers can't remember why the Boston Tea Party was held I can tell him this. It was held for the same reasons that the Tea Parties are held today. There was an oppresive Govt. abusing the people and they were tired of it. The Tea Tax was imposed much as obama is doing now with his cronies. It may not be a Tax on Tea but it is many other things where our hard earned money is being taken from those of us that work for it and given to others.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Feb 28, 2010
just info wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. It is funny how people like Roy now call what was done then as Liberal/Progressive. The whole premise of the Revolution was individual rights and the entire premise of the Libs is collective, sort of reminds me of the USSR.
As for the one that said the Tea Partiers can't remember why the Boston Tea Party was held I can tell him this. It was held for the same reasons that the Tea Parties are held today. There was an oppresive Govt. abusing the people and they were tired of it. The Tea Tax was imposed much as obama is doing now with his cronies. It may not be a Tax on Tea but it is many other things where our hard earned money is being taken from those of us that work for it and given to others.
"There was an oppresive Govt. abusing the people and they were tired of it." Your ignorance is showing. The real story:

"The real Boston Tea Party was a protest against huge corporate tax cuts for the British East India Company, the largest trans-national corporation then in existence. This corporate tax cut threatened to decimate small Colonial businesses by helping the BEIC pull a Wal-Mart against small entrepreneurial tea shops, and individuals began a revolt that kicked-off a series of events that ended in the creation of The United States of America.

"They covered their faces, massed in the streets, and destroyed the property of a giant global corporation. Declaring an end to global trade run by the East India Company that was destroying local economies, this small, masked minority started a revolution with an act of rebellion later called the Boston Tea Party."

THE REAL BOSTON TEA PARTY WAS AGAINST THE WAL-MART OF THE 1770S - Or watch the video here: WHAT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY WAS REALLY ABOUT
TexasRanger

El Paso, TX

#20 Feb 28, 2010
just info wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. It is funny how people like Roy now call what was done then as Liberal/Progressive. The whole premise of the Revolution was individual rights and the entire premise of the Libs is collective, sort of reminds me of the USSR.
As for the one that said the Tea Partiers can't remember why the Boston Tea Party was held I can tell him this. It was held for the same reasons that the Tea Parties are held today. There was an oppresive Govt. abusing the people and they were tired of it. The Tea Tax was imposed much as obama is doing now with his cronies. It may not be a Tax on Tea but it is many other things where our hard earned money is being taken from those of us that work for it and given to others.
Amen Brother,

The Boston Tea Party was a direct action by colonists in Boston, a town in the British colony of Massachusetts, against the British government. On December 16, 1773, after officials in Boston refused to return three shiploads of taxed tea to Britain, a group of colonists boarded the ships and destroyed the tea by throwing it into Boston Harbor. The incident remains an iconic event of American history, and reference is often made to it in other political protests.

The Tea Party was the culmination of a resistance movement throughout British America against the Tea Act, which had been passed by the British Parliament in 1773. Colonists objected to the Tea Act for a variety of reasons, especially because they believed that it violated their right to be taxed only by their own elected representatives. Protesters had successfully prevented the unloading of taxed tea in three other colonies, but in Boston, embattled Royal Governor Thomas Hutchinson refused to allow the tea to be returned to Britain. He apparently did not expect that the protestors would choose to destroy the tea rather than concede the authority of a legislature in which they were not directly represented.

The Boston Tea Party was a key event in the growth of the American Revolution. Parliament responded in 1774 with the Coercive Acts, which, among other provisions, closed Boston's commerce until the British East India Company had been repaid for the destroyed tea. Colonists in turn responded to the Coercive Acts with additional acts of protest, and by convening the First Continental Congress, which petitioned the British monarch for repeal of the acts and coordinated colonial resistance to them. The crisis escalated, and the American Revolutionary War began near Boston in 1775.
TexasRanger

El Paso, TX

#21 Feb 28, 2010
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
"There was an oppresive Govt. abusing the people and they were tired of it." Your ignorance is showing. The real story:
"The real Boston Tea Party was a protest against huge corporate tax cuts for the British East India Company, the largest trans-national corporation then in existence. This corporate tax cut threatened to decimate small Colonial businesses by helping the BEIC pull a Wal-Mart against small entrepreneurial tea shops, and individuals began a revolt that kicked-off a series of events that ended in the creation of The United States of America.
"They covered their faces, massed in the streets, and destroyed the property of a giant global corporation. Declaring an end to global trade run by the East India Company that was destroying local economies, this small, masked minority started a revolution with an act of rebellion later called the Boston Tea Party."
THE REAL BOSTON TEA PARTY WAS AGAINST THE WAL-MART OF THE 1770S - Or watch the video here: WHAT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY WAS REALLY ABOUT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =azo_44D6UZkXX
That is only a small part of what The BTP was about.

The Boston Tea Party was not a party but a raid that happened in the Boston harbor. The reason the Boston Tea Party happened was because the British government called, "The Parliament" put duties or taxes on some imported items (tea, for one) in America. The colonist had TWO fears about this. One: The local merchants that sold tea would be put out of business due to the tax on their tea, but the East India Company (a British trading company) would be able to sell theirs at a low price. TWO: If they paid the tax on tea the British would enforce more taxes on other things. Because of their fears, the colonists planned a raid on the British ships carrying tea. On the night of December 16, 1773, almost 100 patriots dressed up as Native Americans and threw the taxed tea into the Boston harbor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 70,022
Kiki has no qualifications 7 hr George 2
Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied (Jun '11) Sun maturesinglesdate 12,365
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Oct 18 justice is just a... 6,084
Maobama and Ebola Oct 18 Bloodonhishands 1
Sound Off Oct 17 kimberly atencio 4
Sheriff's office reports burglary spike in area... Oct 16 Sonia 1
Mesilla Park Dating
Find my Match

Mesilla Park Jobs

Mesilla Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mesilla Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mesilla Park

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]