United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

Judged:

Parents Refused To Mix Mingle With Blacks At School.

White Parents expressed mixed feelings about the St. Landry Parish School District's proposed desegregation plan to mix with Blacks.

The board presented the plan late Monday to an almost-full auditorium of parents and school district employees.

It held a question and answer session afterward.

Nicole Saurez, an Arnaudville resident, voiced her concerns about busing children from low-income families to schools miles away. Busing would make it hard for parents to pick up their children, she said.

But Leonville resident Edward Stelly left the meeting satisfied. "I'd must rather see the plan right here than have the court say 'This is it. Take it or leave it,'."

Saurez and Stelly are examples of the mixed emotions parents and district employees exhibited the plan's details were placed in their laps.
LA Education Department

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

Judged:

White Superintendent Michael Nassif of Palmetto said he understands that school desegregation is emotional to the White parents.

"I've traveled all over the parish. I've heard your White concerns," he said from Palmetto City Hall. The objective is present the best plan to the U.S. Justice Department and U.S. District Court Judge Tucker Melancon.

Many of the seats at intergrated Opelousas High School, where the meeting took place, were vacant Monday.

But the White parents who did attend said they wanted to know where their child's future held.

John McKeel, who runs the town of Melville as the Melville Black police chief and father, said he is not entirely sold on the district's plan.

"I'm hoping they come up with a different plan other than the two they showed us about White kids," he said.

Big Chief McKeel has a 15-year-old Black child at North Central High School, a 9-year-old White child and three Mixed-Raced grandchildren attending Melville Elementary School which is mostle all Black as parents do not care about their children.

Big Chief McKeel said he is not convincing that his young child and grandchildren will be bused to Lebeau.

Big Chief McKeel said he also doesn't like that White Krotz Springs is untouched for the most part. According to the plan, a small area zone for Krotz Springs near all White Schexnayder Road is slated to go to North Central High School.
Big Chief McKeel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

Judged:

But Big Chief McKeel said he thinks more of the school should be paired with Black and White dating and marrying each other. Stelly said the board will never please everybody.

The Leonville man said he is concerned the school district will revert back to its current status, and the wheels of the desegregation process will turn again.

Parents were already discussing physically moving their children before the meeting was over, Stelly said.

"In five, 10, 15 years from now, we'll be right back where were started," he said.
Felix

Broussard, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

Judged:

LA Education Department wrote:
Parents Refused To Mix Mingle With Blacks At School.
White Parents expressed mixed feelings about the St. Landry Parish School District's proposed desegregation plan to mix with Blacks.
The board presented the plan late Monday to an almost-full auditorium of parents and school district employees.
It held a question and answer session afterward.
Nicole Saurez, an Arnaudville resident, voiced her concerns about busing children from low-income families to schools miles away. Busing would make it hard for parents to pick up their children, she said.
But Leonville resident Edward Stelly left the meeting satisfied. "I'd must rather see the plan right here than have the court say 'This is it. Take it or leave it,'."
Saurez and Stelly are examples of the mixed emotions parents and district employees exhibited the plan's details were placed in their laps.
How did you arrive at “Parents Refused To Mix Mingle With Blacks At School” from the two comments you posted??
Majors Clan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Felix you need to shut up and pay up.
majors family is crooks

Maringouin, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Majors Clan wrote:
Felix you need to shut up and pay up.
of course the majors would say that they only money hungry look at all the cars and ranches and etc Ray Majors never worked a day in his life but now has cars cause the people in church never opened thier eyes to see he would pass the plate every Sunday and count it up and take half and write on book less then what was collected
if he collected 1000 from people their would be 100 left in plate

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Melville Discussions

Search the Melville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 2 hr Red Dodge Pickup 2,113
Wreck 2 hr Janie 1
Swinging Lifestyle Apr 14 Slide the glide 2
Blonde that used to work at Billy's years ago Apr 14 Slide the glide 25
Fast times in Washington, La. Apr 11 Stay away 4
White girls with black babies (Jun '13) Apr 5 Yup yup 115
Derrick James Apr 5 Well well well 1
•••
•••
•••
Melville Dating

more search filters

less search filters