Kelsey Smith-Briggs' Mom Receives Nothing From Suit Settlement

Full story: News on 6 Tulsa

The mother of a 2-year-old girl who died in October 2005 after enduring child abuse won't receive anything from the settlement of a wrongful-death lawsuit.
Comments
1 - 20 of 227 Comments Last updated Dec 9, 2010
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
bps10

Mannford, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

?
mom

Sand Springs, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

This woman wanted half the money received due to a death that she helped create. Is she insance? Good job judge. May this baby girl now rest in peace.
just1

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

I'm glad the judge ruled the way they did. I can't believe the gall of this woman that wanted money from the death of her daughter that she killed, at least as an accessory!
Good

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

She killed that baby, and she really thought she'd collect on the settlement? I understand the father, who was deployed, filing a suit. DHS NEVER should have kept giving that baby back to that woman! DHS failed that little girl. May the baby rest in peace, and may that so called mother rot in jail!
Allyson

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

Is it just me or does she look pregnant in this picture?
Tjuan Taylor

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

Allyson wrote:
Just a beer belly....
Maxwell

Cushing, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

She doesn't deserve a dime.
ohmy

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

Allyson wrote:
I think this is a old pic. She had a baby after she was arrested. She had a baby boy. Yes, the father of the baby boy was the the monster who killed Kelsey. She makes me sick!
momoftwo

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

You gotta be kidding me...She really thought that she would get a portion of the settlement? She was the reason that baby girl was killed! She is outta her mind. Way to go judge.

“When u get the chance, dance”

Since: May 08

Stillwater

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

ohmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this is a old pic. She had a baby after she was arrested. She had a baby boy. Yes, the father of the baby boy was the the monster who killed Kelsey. She makes me sick!
I thought the father was overseas. How could he kill Kelsey? Perhaps the step-pig killed her instead?
depew ok

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

The step dad no the man that Kelsey mother was married to and Kelsey mom should be put to death!!!
bystander

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

They should extend her jail time just for asking.
guess what

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

you can't cure stupid
KelseysVoice

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

bystander wrote:
They should extend her jail time just for asking.
I agree with you.
ohmy

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Bubble wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the father was overseas. How could he kill Kelsey? Perhaps the step-pig killed her instead?
The step father was the monster who killed Kelsey. Kelsey's father was Lance Briggs. Michael Porter was the father of the baby boy and the step father to Kelsey. Hope that makes sence....
mine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

scum thats all she is is just scum
KelseysVoice

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

ohmy wrote:
<quoted text>
The step father was the monster who killed Kelsey. Kelsey's father was Lance Briggs. Michael Porter was the father of the baby boy and the step father to Kelsey. Hope that makes sence....
A lot of this can be very confusing.
just1

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

At least for her efforts, she has another attorney bill...haha!!

Since: Sep 09

in God we trust

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

By Associated Press

5:01 AM CST, February 10, 2010
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP)— The mother of a 2-year-old girl who died in October 2005 after enduring child abuse won't receive anything from the settlement of a wrongful-death lawsuit.

Raye Dawn Smith is in prison after being convicted of enabling the abuse of her daughter, Kelsey Smith-Briggs of Meeker. Smith had asked for half of about $345,000 left over from the settlement, but a federal judge ruled Tuesday that the money instead will go to Kelsey's father, Lance Briggs.

Briggs was returning to Oklahoma from military duty when Kelsey died. He sued the state Department of Human Services and others in 2006, alleging Kelsey died because of "systemwide failures" at DHS.

The state paid $525,000 and a private agency provided another $100,000 to settle the lawsuit.

___

Information from: The Oklahoman, http://www.newsok.com

Since: Sep 09

in God we trust

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

Judged:

Laura Taylor Free wrote:
So sad to hear about these continuous injustices and people not getting accurate information.

This is a high profile case, you would hope that they would look at both sides with a neutral stance and an open mind.

I will continue to support Raye and her family as I just don't think accurate info has been given about what happened to poor Kelsey.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Meeker Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Meeker Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••