Final resolution of Meadowview truck stop expected tonight

Jun 14, 2012 Full story: TriCities.com 16

DAVID CRIGGER/BRISTOL HERALD COURIER - Several signs are posted in opposition to the proposed truck stop just off Exit 24 in the Meadowview, Va., community.

Full Story
neone

Chilhowie, VA

#1 Jun 14, 2012
if they are worried about the asthma i would understand but they are all worried about truck drivers being near their kids because they discriminate against them. if it wasnt for truck drivers what would you eat, what would you wear, what would you drive? they need places to eat and sleep too. its pretty obvious to me that the kids are pretty much bullying and having fun killing each other on their own case in point when those kids bought a gun to meadowview elementary. im afraid to send my children to public schools. im more worried about whos teaching my kids and the psychos they go to school with, exit 24 wouldnt be a good choice in that the overpass is like 13'8 in height so no oversized loads could go there maybe something after exit 35 towards marion
Ruth C

Rocky Mount, VA

#2 Jun 15, 2012
the board should either approve it or not but why should a company have to pay money to the school and put in a sewer for the school they should be thankful for the new jobs Loves have created
Slander

Shelby, NC

#3 Jun 15, 2012
neone wrote:
if they are worried about the asthma i would understand but they are all worried about truck drivers being near their kids because they discriminate against them. if it wasnt for truck drivers what would you eat, what would you wear, what would you drive? they need places to eat and sleep too. its pretty obvious to me that the kids are pretty much bullying and having fun killing each other on their own case in point when those kids bought a gun to meadowview elementary. im afraid to send my children to public schools. im more worried about whos teaching my kids and the psychos they go to school with, exit 24 wouldnt be a good choice in that the overpass is like 13'8 in height so no oversized loads could go there maybe something after exit 35 towards marion
I wouldn't be worried about the asthma being caused by the truckers using the truck stop. I'd be MORE concerned with getting MXI out of that area because I'm a business owner in that area, & the nasty perfume smell that's in the air constantly up there is enough to cause lung cancer, let alone asthma.
My 2 Cents

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jun 17, 2012
Slander wrote:
<quoted text> I wouldn't be worried about the asthma being caused by the truckers using the truck stop. I'd be MORE concerned with getting MXI out of that area because I'm a business owner in that area, & the nasty perfume smell that's in the air constantly up there is enough to cause lung cancer, let alone asthma.
Why did you put your business in an industrial park if you did not want to have other industries around you? Do you have any proof that the smell from MXI causes cancer? Does your business not produce ANY pollutants of any kind? Will your business hire all of the workers from MXI if it is shut down?
durant

United States

#5 Jun 17, 2012
I bet these idiots didn't know that the same people that owns loves,owns the O.K thunder,which could very easy win the nba title!
Jim Naysium

Johnson City, TN

#6 Jun 17, 2012
durant wrote:
I bet these idiots didn't know that the same people that owns loves,owns the O.K thunder,which could very easy win the nba title!
Why heck then, let's build two, one on each side of the Interstate!
Worried

United States

#7 Jun 18, 2012
My 2 Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you put your business in an industrial park if you did not want to have other industries around you? Do you have any proof that the smell from MXI causes cancer? Does your business not produce ANY pollutants of any kind? Will your business hire all of the workers from MXI if it is shut down?
First of all, we are a small family business who is primarily automated & only work family if additional hands are needed. Maybe the MXI workers could try getting hired by one of the many local factories we supply machined parts for that keep these places up & running & have hundreds of employees and can offer more benefits for them than a small, family owned business can. Second, MXI was not located anywhere near the industrial park when we opened our business over 15 years ago. They were located off Hwy 58 across from a subdivision I lived in when something they were burning caught fire & I had to be evacuated from my home with my 2 week old child in tow and couldn't return for 24 hours. Thirdly, I hold a bachelors degree in nursing & have studied and been part of research about how exposure to chemicals, especially those that are burned off into the environment, are harmful to the communities & their residents. These negative effects most always include cancer; lung cancer to be exact. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, really. Fourth, our business DOES NOT give off any pollutants, & any cutting fluids, hydraulic fluids, etc. that need to be disposed of, are disposed of properly through companies that handle that type of environmental disposal. Lastly, I feel like my personal & professional experiences with MXI & my education in this area qualify myself to make such a statement as I did. I know for a FACT I'm not the only person who has a business, works, or lives in that area, who doesn't feel the same way I do about this issue with MXI.
Jim Naysium

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jun 18, 2012
Worried wrote:
<quoted text> First of all, we are a small family business who is primarily automated & only work family if additional hands are needed. Maybe the MXI workers could try getting hired by one of the many local factories we supply machined parts for that keep these places up & running & have hundreds of employees and can offer more benefits for them than a small, family owned business can. Second, MXI was not located anywhere near the industrial park when we opened our business over 15 years ago. They were located off Hwy 58 across from a subdivision I lived in when something they were burning caught fire & I had to be evacuated from my home with my 2 week old child in tow and couldn't return for 24 hours. Thirdly, I hold a bachelors degree in nursing & have studied and been part of research about how exposure to chemicals, especially those that are burned off into the environment, are harmful to the communities & their residents. These negative effects most always include cancer; lung cancer to be exact. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, really. Fourth, our business DOES NOT give off any pollutants, & any cutting fluids, hydraulic fluids, etc. that need to be disposed of, are disposed of properly through companies that handle that type of environmental disposal. Lastly, I feel like my personal & professional experiences with MXI & my education in this area qualify myself to make such a statement as I did. I know for a FACT I'm not the only person who has a business, works, or lives in that area, who doesn't feel the same way I do about this issue with MXI.
If you have a Bachelors Degree and your writing skills are no better than this, I pray I never have you as a nurse. I not defending MXI, but come on...at least make sense.
really

Saltville, VA

#9 Jun 18, 2012
Jim Naysium wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have a Bachelors Degree and your writing skills are no better than this, I pray I never have you as a nurse. I not defending MXI, but come on...at least make sense.
While this comment may be off topic, I feel it is no less so than the one to which I am responding. As far as Topix goes, anyone who has ever read more than one post on here knows that this site isn't exactly a Mecca for intellectual discourse. That being said, the previous post being discussed is completely understandable and doesn't contain that many grammatical errors. I'm not really sure why you feel that this post would make that person an incompetent nurse. Do you routinely give your healthcare providers English tests to determine their capability? I doubt it. You would probably be surprised by the results, including doctors. You don't have to know how to spell cardiopulmonary resuscitation correctly in order to know how to perform it and save someone's life. Some professions require a mastery of written language, while others require a completely different skill set. Your post was disrespectful. And by the way, if you are going to call someone out for their "writing skills", at least try to make sure your own post is grammatically correct.
Jim Naysium

Johnson City, TN

#10 Jun 19, 2012
I never claimed to have such a Degree but I am sorry that I left out the word "am". If this person can't write properly in my chart than I don't want them as a nurse, I've been down the wrong dosage of meds already!!!

Good Luck!
Jim Naysium

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jun 19, 2012
Sorry, meant then instead of than.
Needjob

Fort Campbell, TN

#12 Jul 18, 2012
Well,with the lawsuit pending against the towm Id say the truck stop is done.I hope most of you lose your jobs in next few months and see how it feels.This truckstop was jobs for us and food for my family.
Truck stop is coming

Abingdon, VA

#13 Nov 27, 2013
It was on the news today, not sure if it will put our small towns businesses out in the cold or not...but a McDonald's in meadowview would be exceptional!
sobeit

Johnson City, TN

#14 Nov 29, 2013
Jim Naysium wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have a Bachelors Degree and your writing skills are no better than this, I pray I never have you as a nurse. I not defending MXI, but come on...at least make sense.
Here what makes sense, the nurse is right about a few things but has she forgotten that M X I paid out thousands of dollars for the cleaning of them homes on 58, I renember that.Is it not true that M X I is moving all that perfume to Bristol an set up cooking their, it was on the news six mounths ago well here a little advice MXI is nothing like the threat of what runs up and down the rails God help us all
good grief

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Dec 6, 2013
A truck stop in Meadowview will not provide jobs for everybody. Why do you people want to mess up a nice quiet little town? This is a rural area, not a big city. Why is everybody afraid to oppose this idea and come up with something more logical? Think before you make your decisions. Consider everyone, not just yourselves.
Andy Griffith

Chilhowie, VA

#16 Jan 6, 2014
What about the thousands of trucks that pass every day already? Those drivers could use some common courtesy and have a place to eat and sleep. Without them all of you scared small town people would have nothing at all. These man and women miss out on alot with their families just to deliver freight, freight in which we all buy and use every day. Everyone needs to stop and think about EVERYONE just like good grief said including the truckers. It will bring jobs in, no not 100s but every little bit helps. A single truckstop is not gonna turn little ole meadowview into downtown New York. Though it might be a nice thing to have around. Before anyone has a neurological meltdown right after their heartastroke about my post please stop and think of everybody unlike you, the ones unemployed, the professional drivers, and the people that this would make their life just a little bit easier. Thank You

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meadowview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah 1 hr Eternal truth 2,836
Queer working at Marathon 3 hr I know her 3
Doug Ellis is suing Ecumenical Faith In Action 4 hr In the Know 6
johnathan hill ~finley aka slim (Dec '11) 8 hr sfinley 29
Falcon Football 13 hr Blockandtackle 11
Jerry Stroupe 17 hr tom 6
Landis 18 hr Intheknow 1

Winter Storm Warning for Washington County was issued at October 31 at 3:13AM EDT

Meadowview Dating
Find my Match

Meadowview People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Meadowview News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Meadowview

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]