More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,138

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6526 Aug 21, 2012
Wife didn't like the bully hummingbird dive bombing the others so she put another feeder at the other end of our front porch and he can't guard them both. This morning a big bird landed in one of the young maple trees and the hummingbird ran it off! Guess that old saying is true: Its not the size of the bird in the fight, its the size of the fight in the bird.

Forrest City, AR

#6527 Aug 21, 2012
dead birds
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#6528 Aug 22, 2012
When did they delete the first post on this thread? Many more are gone too?):

United States

#6529 Aug 22, 2012
This is such old news ?
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6530 Aug 22, 2012
fifty1fifty wrote:
When did they delete the first post on this thread? Many more are gone too?):
The first post (from January 2, 2011) has not been deleted. Don't go paranoid on us okay?

United States

#6531 Aug 23, 2012
delete Old Army I say..
Churmudgeon

Cherokee Village, AR

#6532 Aug 23, 2012
We had a dead bird this morning. When I let then out of their pen. I noticed something had killed one of the ducks. Just ate the head . Completely gone rest of the duck intact. Must have been something smakk to get in the cage, Im thinking a weasel or mink. Ill set some traps tonite.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6533 Aug 23, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
We had a dead bird this morning. When I let then out of their pen. I noticed something had killed one of the ducks. Just ate the head . Completely gone rest of the duck intact. Must have been something smakk to get in the cage, Im thinking a weasel or mink. Ill set some traps tonite.
I had dead birds all over the place yesterday! They were all quail. I shot them and put them in the freezer. I think I'll have quail tonight!
ICEMAN

Tomball, TX

#6534 Aug 23, 2012
Lol
Churmudgeon

Cherokee Village, AR

#6535 Aug 23, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I had dead birds all over the place yesterday! They were all quail. I shot them and put them in the freezer. I think I'll have quail tonight!
I have a few quail on my farm. They are indeed good eating. I dont hunt my quail there numbers are few & I like that they eat lots of grasshoppers ticks & other insects.
sparrow

Hot Springs Village, AR

#6536 Aug 23, 2012
barbarian
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#6537 Aug 23, 2012
Where is post #1 by drunken master? I guess it shows up on your PC Old swArmy?
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6538 Aug 23, 2012
fifty1fifty wrote:
Where is post #1 by drunken master? I guess it shows up on your PC Old swArmy?
Damn, you're right and I'm wrong. Since you have it memorized, why not just post it again? Is it that important?
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#6539 Aug 23, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, you're right and I'm wrong. Since you have it memorized, why not just post it again? Is it that important?
History is being erased at this very moment worldwide, even shit about why the Civil War happened, Constitution is wrote in disolving ink so our masters think. Can you dispute?(:
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6540 Aug 24, 2012
fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>History is being erased at this very moment worldwide, even shit about why the Civil War happened, Constitution is wrote in disolving ink so our masters think. Can you dispute?(:
Nope, I can't dispute that our Republic and our Constitution is under attack by progressives, but I can dispute all the bullshit theories about what killed the blackbirds in Beebe.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6541 Aug 24, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I have a few quail on my farm. They are indeed good eating. I dont hunt my quail there numbers are few & I like that they eat lots of grasshoppers ticks & other insects.
I feed over 100 Gambels with a deer feeder. I also do not harvest them. No challenge, I hunt the desert and take the dumb ones. LOL!
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#6542 Aug 24, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I feed over 100 Gambels with a deer feeder. I also do not harvest them. No challenge, I hunt the desert and take the dumb ones. LOL!
There are game farms in Arkansas that let you hunt quail for a fee. They are pen raised and released just before the hunt. The wild bobwhite Quail are almost extinct in Arkansas. Habitat loss due to farmers cleaning up the overgrowth and fence rows. And the Fescue pastures and lack of winter forage all contribute. And the predators are on the increase. Coyotes ,fox, racoon, armadillo Snakes and dogs & cats ect. find the nest and eat the eggs. Then in the winter Hawks kill the grown birds. My farm has overgrown fence rows. I dont bushhog the blackberry patches and I plant scersia lespedisa and other wildlife food plots. Even the cotton tail rabbitts numbers are down. Ive always wanted to travel to the Navaho Dam New Mexico Area and bow hunt for rabbitt.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#6543 Aug 24, 2012
This is funny... more than 6 posts on this topic per bird that got caught up in this.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#6544 Aug 24, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> There are game farms in Arkansas that let you hunt quail for a fee. They are pen raised and released just before the hunt. The wild bobwhite Quail are almost extinct in Arkansas. Habitat loss due to farmers cleaning up the overgrowth and fence rows. And the Fescue pastures and lack of winter forage all contribute. And the predators are on the increase. Coyotes ,fox, racoon, armadillo Snakes and dogs & cats ect. find the nest and eat the eggs. Then in the winter Hawks kill the grown birds. My farm has overgrown fence rows. I dont bushhog the blackberry patches and I plant scersia lespedisa and other wildlife food plots. Even the cotton tail rabbitts numbers are down. Ive always wanted to travel to the Navaho Dam New Mexico Area and bow hunt for rabbitt.
We have similar problems here. I used to be an avid pheasant hunter growing up in Eastern NM but the pesticide and some of those things you mentioned have just about wiped all of them out. As far as the quail go the rattle snakes and road runners have taken their toll on a lot of them. Here in NM we have excellent big game hunting. I hunt Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bear, Oryx, Barbary Sheep and Javelina. I just wish we had the lakes and rivers like Arkansas. My grandfather when he was alive lived in Ft. Smith and he took me fishing all over the place, Ft. Chafee, the Arkansas River, private lakes. You guys have some of the best Bass Fishing in this country. Keep hunting and fishing my friend!
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#6545 Aug 25, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We have similar problems here. I used to be an avid pheasant hunter growing up in Eastern NM but the pesticide and some of those things you mentioned have just about wiped all of them out. As far as the quail go the rattle snakes and road runners have taken their toll on a lot of them. Here in NM we have excellent big game hunting. I hunt Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bear, Oryx, Barbary Sheep and Javelina. I just wish we had the lakes and rivers like Arkansas. My grandfather when he was alive lived in Ft. Smith and he took me fishing all over the place, Ft. Chafee, the Arkansas River, private lakes. You guys have some of the best Bass Fishing in this country. Keep hunting and fishing my friend!
I saw my first coyote here in 1969. Aramadillo Turkey & roadrunners appeared in the mid seventies. Now we are over run with armadilo coyote & deer.There are a growing number of mountian lions & bald eagles now. The latest is the arrival of black vultures. They will kill cattle. large numbers of them surround a young calf and peck its eyes out. The calf will die from shock. If they find a cow down in the process of calving they will peck its eyes out and kill the cow and calf both. Then there is the problem with peoples free roaming dogs that form pack,s . the people work and the children are at school. the bored dogs pack up and liik for something to kill. They always seen to have some that are pitt bull or rott mix that are the killers. I keep a female Burrow and a male horse with my livestock and they are very good at keeping predators away. Out turkey population really blossomed for a time we had flocks that numbered in the hundreds. then the commercial chicken grow houses came in. The litter when the building are cleaned is spread on the fields. Baby Turkeys are very succeptable to pullorum diseases. So now the young turkeys have a high mortality rate and the numdrs are diminishing. This year all the rivers and Lakes are very low. Some of the rivers where they pump irrigation water are completly dry. My creek is not running past my land. There is a big water hole with a gravel bar and the water doesnt go past it. Its simply dissappears like the colarado river. I believe something is up with the planet we might be at the end of an age?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McGehee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I heard this town is full of hatin a** females Oct 22 Confident 1
jospeh Lockwood and ashley clayton Oct 16 horrable people 1
Laura Valentine Aug '14 Mike 3
Terri Lynn Humphries (Jul '13) Aug '14 The real Terri Lynn 45
moving to Arkansas city Aug '14 family of three 1
brian spratt (polite) who knows em Aug '14 slinky 3
bryan .k spratt a.k.a brian polite Aug '14 slinky 1
McGehee Dating
Find my Match

McGehee People Search