south lewis school, at fault?

Posted in the Lowville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MsMagillacuti

Camden, NY

#1 Feb 2, 2010
my son goes to south lewis.Last week another stedent was threatening him,he told the student to shut up or hed hit him,South lewis called the sheriff had him taken to samaritan lying saying he threatened suicide he didnt ,doctors and cops both said the same.i was not notified by the school..i was called by my daughter whom my son called from the sheriffs car [cell].i called the school they said they left a message you cant leave a message on a non working cell? and i dont think thats legal.docs and cops said id sue them.. they send 5 or 6 there a week the doc told me? any good opinions.
anonymous

Caroga Lake, NY

#2 Feb 3, 2010
Hmm, doesnt sound like South Lewis school... but I suppose with all of those accusations from doctors and such u could always call someone. Sounds to me like ur kid got pissed and threatened it... and realized it wasnt a joke a little too late!
i know

United States

#3 Feb 8, 2010
SoutH lewis is known for calling the police on kids or throwing them in court for inschool behavior issues....IF they are to much trouble they get rid of them one way or another and anyway they can.IT is school not the damn military.......I CANT WAIT UNTIL MY KIDS ARE ALL DONE WITH THAT SHIT HOLE..Parents have to kiss ass just so their kids get treated like humans while they are at school.No wonder kids want to drop out so much.I dont blame them one bit.
How bout the truth

Lowville, NY

#4 Feb 9, 2010
Sounds like you're only telling about a quarter of the whole story, MsMAgilicudy. Your kid must be a big troublemaker for his situation to be handled this way. And whose fault is it that the only phone number the school had for you was a non-working cell phone? There are so many errors in your post- capitalization, spelling, punctuation, mechanics- that it makes you appear to be a person of very little brain. If you're going to express yourself this poorly, people aren't going to take you seriously, even if you DO have a legitimate complaint.
fyi

Cleveland, NY

#5 Feb 9, 2010
i'm so glad i homeschool.......
iknowtoo

Syracuse, NY

#6 Feb 10, 2010
I know what the poster is talking about. My brother has gotten into alot of trouble at South Lewis. He has known anger issues and adhd, he was put into an 8-1-1 class because of that, yet everytime he acts out even slightly he gets kicked out of school or gets the cops sent after him. He has been sent to samaritan too. im not saying hes perfect, obviously, but he was put in the 8-1-1 class so they would know how to handle him more, and they still can't. I never have problems with him. i was under the impression that teachers in classes like that were supposed to know how to handle the children in them...
Uggggg

AOL

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Every once(a year)in awhile I just have to throw my two cents in. all my kids graduated SL and as I told them all those years is "School is like a job, a big factory with bosses, Bosses are human, not perfect and just do ur job and u will be fine... life will always throw things at ya and its the WAY u handle it"..:) We were just named one of the best schools and theres always those parents that wont like something or have a problem with things OBVIOUSLY...:) Oh well this is "Topix" do we expect anything else...:)
Business Cents

Constableville, NY

#8 Feb 11, 2010
iknowtoo wrote:
I know what the poster is talking about. My brother has gotten into alot of trouble at South Lewis. He has known anger issues and adhd, he was put into an 8-1-1 class because of that, yet everytime he acts out even slightly he gets kicked out of school or gets the cops sent after him. He has been sent to samaritan too. im not saying hes perfect, obviously, but he was put in the 8-1-1 class so they would know how to handle him more, and they still can't. I never have problems with him. i was under the impression that teachers in classes like that were supposed to know how to handle the children in them...
Maybe your lack of control over your child at home is what's causing his misbehavior in school. Teachers only get to influence your child 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. If you're basically undoing everything they do the rest of the time, you're setting both him and his teachers up to fail.

I'm sure my kid would love it if I let him do whatever he wanted with no supervision or consequences at home.
Business Cents

Constableville, NY

#9 Feb 11, 2010
EDIT:... That should read "Your parents lack of control over their child"
anywho

Constableville, NY

#10 Feb 11, 2010
they have taken things a bit too far, it seems they dump kis they dont want to deal with, in fact when teenagers act they way they do - you know what I mean, nothing unusual, teasing, rumours, they dont handle it properly, some kids said something mean about this boys girlfriend, it was unkind, the school counsler asked this boy "how does that make you feel?" he answered honestly- it makes me want to beat them up! OK what do you expect a 15 yr old boy to say? but BAM! sheriff was called, suspension was ordered and he HAS TO attend an alternative class.parents need to organize get involved and reveiew the SL policy and advocate for changes.
just wondering

Champlain, NY

#11 Feb 11, 2010
What exactaly is Mr.Browns title at SLCS? Is or is he not suppose to be a school meadeator (resource officer)? This is a nonsence job that was created for him and is a waste of money. The state is pulling the state police officers (resource officers) out of school because of the lack of money. Mr. Brown should go to and look at the saving. SLSC calls the police anyway.
About time

United States

#12 Feb 11, 2010
After 3 years of my son being bullied and the school doing nothing about it. They said that they could'nt because the dirtball parents just would'nt send them to school. I talked to the parents and they basically said to bad for you. So at this point I taught my son how to step back and put his weight into the punch. Well when he knocked the other kid out (yes he was suspended) the problem was solved. Good to see they have finally changed there policy. Nobody should have to be afraid to go to school! If your kid is a problem You deal with him. It is not the schools responsiblity. It is your responsiblity to raise your kids right!
opqrs

Constableville, NY

#13 Feb 11, 2010
There are trouble makers in all schools , always has been and always will be .South Lewis as well as other schools are more worried about how they look to the people that have the right last name .It is fact that if you are with the right social groups in the county , your kids will get away with more . In school as well as out of school . I would love to tell you all what I think of our education system and the people in it . But my blood pressure wouldn't take it . Until everyone agrees that " ALL PEOPLE ARE CREATED EQUAL " nothing will change !
A-b-C

Rome, NY

#14 Feb 11, 2010
i went to south lewis and i think that school sucks they push students ahead even if failing and they pick their favs, and their staff always pushes it on the parents saying they are bad kids when really they just cant deal with kids and should find another job
binder

Constableville, NY

#15 Feb 11, 2010
I also find it amusing that Lisa Strait is still in control of the lunch program and handles all the money for such,specially after being convicted for stealing from jefferson county pop warner,and with another case under review for the same in lewis county.Anybody else would have lost their job and been thrown behind bars,makes me sick.
SL Taxpayer

Lowville, NY

#16 Feb 12, 2010
binder wrote:
I also find it amusing that Lisa Strait is still in control of the lunch program and handles all the money for such,specially after being convicted for stealing from jefferson county pop warner,and with another case under review for the same in lewis county.Anybody else would have lost their job and been thrown behind bars,makes me sick.
I believe it was Lisa Staie that stole from Pop Warner, not Lisa Strait.
we want to win

Rome, NY

#17 Feb 12, 2010
A-b-C wrote:
i went to south lewis and i think that school sucks they push students ahead even if failing and they pick their favs, and their staff always pushes it on the parents saying they are bad kids when really they just cant deal with kids and should find another job
I will have to agree. teachers today are union and just want to punch the time clock. I came from the old school when teachers were dedicated to students, didn`t show favors and banged you in the head if you needed it, but them teachers used common sense. I remember when I got in trouble and the principal knocked my head off, next day we walked hand in hand down the hall. Now days when they get down on each other in school it lasts till graduation. Teachers with kids should live outside the disrict so there kids can go to neutral school. Better yet make South Lewis a community college and give the schools back to the villages they came from. Its easier to control a small group then a large one. Most of the old timers from these villages turned out to be hard working citizens and community people. The state changed the system now look at the mess we got
just amom

Watertown, NY

#18 Feb 13, 2010
binder wrote:
I believe you have the wrong person; under Mrs. Strait's leadership, the cafeteria is finally coming ahead financially.
bite me

United States

#19 Feb 14, 2010
MsMagillacuti wrote:
my son goes to south lewis.Last week another stedent was threatening him,he told the student to shut up or hed hit him,South lewis called the sheriff had him taken to samaritan lying saying he threatened suicide he didnt ,doctors and cops both said the same.i was not notified by the school..i was called by my daughter whom my son called from the sheriffs car [cell].i called the school they said they left a message you cant leave a message on a non working cell? and i dont think thats legal.docs and cops said id sue them.. they send 5 or 6 there a week the doc told me? any good opinions.
Hmmm...my brother went to and graduated from south lewis and nothing like that had happened while he attended and my cousin is a teacher there and said he's never heard of it either.
Listening

Old Forge, NY

#20 Feb 14, 2010
While reading through these posts I can't help but notice that the parent of this child has done nothing but blame others for her child's situation.

There is a reason this boy is in the BOCES alternative class, he doesn't fit anywhere else in the educational system. Why? There are a number of reasons, he has behavioral problems, he has learning disabilities, he has social-emotional issues or some of all three.

There is no magic pill or solution for these kids, the school system does the best it can with what they have and sometimes parents have done the best they can. In my experience there is usually too little done too late by parents, and then the school system is left holding the bag of responsibility. And if the child's problems can't be addressed there then the law ususally becomes responsible.

I don't know what happened to this boy to get him to this point, but I do know what DID NOT happen. He most likely didn't have enough involvement early on from the people he should have had it from....I'd bet he learned little to no socialization skills, no coping skills, no self-control, no accountablility and had no bolstering of his self-esteem for the good things he did.

Mom, if you read this, its time to stop the blame game and start worrying how your son is going to make it in the real world because you're sending him the wrong message.

He needs to know that you are in his corner, he needs to know that YOU are responsible and that HE is responsible for his actions and behavior. If he can't count on you then who can he count on?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowville man charged with second-degree assault 1 hr shaun elliott 1
Lewis County man charged with sexually abusing ... 15 hr heart of god 11
Luke Racine 16 hr jhdhgfhubjdcbdshb 3
no life Wed Vic 10
music Wed Truth 2
child molester Wed Truth 2
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... Tue Thick Bodied Utican 46
Lowville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web