After outcry, event to help Sanford's homeless moved to Longwood

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

First, Sanford officials decided they didn't want 200 homeless people flocking downtown for a daylong event that would offer them medical care, showers, meals, employment counseling and identification.
Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Mar 10, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Kuhn should be ashamed.
continued

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

"I believe in what they're doing," Kuhn said. What she meant to add was "as long as they're not doing it in my backyard."
Matt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Kudos to Northland Church for stepping up. Truly a great church doing Christ's work.
kmjn

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Holy Bible, New Testament, Book of Matthew, Chapter 25, Verses 34 through 40; "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."
Jim Dandy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

It won't be much longer until many thousands more will be homeless. Some of these people once had homes, families and jobs. God have mercy on the cities and people who trample over the less fortunate. Building B-Ball arenas, throwing money left and right but can't feed the homeless.
ordinary guy

Cape Canaveral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

The mayor is doing what the people want, trying to accomodate the masses and while also tying to do the right thing. She is good at compromise. People do not realize the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to get anything accomplished in this city.
Pooh Bah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

"We're not really evil, mean and wicked," said Sanford Mayor Linda Kuhn.
Sure they are!
george anderson jr

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Jeff Triplett for mayor,Linda Kuhn is another Larry''commie'' Dale flunky.I didn't vote for her the last time and i sure as heck aint voting for her this time.shes been nothing but a screwup every since she became mayor,VOTE FOR JEFF TRIPLETT FOR SANFORD MAYOR.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
george anderson jr

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

BTW DESPITE WHAT MY POST SAYS I AM A SANFORD RESIDENT AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 1991,AND HAVE SERVED ON ONE OF THE CITY BOARDS.
Sarah

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Good. Social services belong in the private sector. Kudos, Northland!
george anderson jr

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

lol now commie is a bad word omg you gotta be kidding me.
george anderson jr

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

COMMIE,COMMIE,COMMIE NOW CENSOR THAT YOU TOPIX FASCISTS.
bumfight

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Good job, Linda. Keep those stinky, smelly BUMS out of town!

I note that nobody from Sanford is complaining (other than one token liberal apologist). Only those from other towns.

If I lived in Sanford you'd get my vote! Come on down to Tampa Town!
MaryAnne Shennett

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Sanford's loss was Northland's gain. The important thing is many people were given some form of care.
Sanford

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

MaryAnne Shennett wrote:
Sanford's loss was Northland's gain. The important thing is many people were given some form of care.
We're glad they received their care IN LONGWOOD.
Dazed and Confused

Lake Placid, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

I do live in Sanford, Most all the homeless staying in Sanford are druggies and theives. These camp dwellers reside in woods behind my home - countless times me and my neighbors have had to call SPD b/c they were fighting, shots being fired, harrassing mine and the neighbor's daughters when they are in the pool in backyard and Oh yeah - breaking into our utility sheds stealing tools and stealing bicycles from our fenced in backyards. One guy had the nerve to kick my dog in the face while climbing over our backyard fence and threaten to sue us when the dog tore his leg up. Needless to say when SPD got there the guy had an outstanding warrant for B&E and assault w/ firearm. I know not all those who are homeless are bad people, be it seems those who really have fallen on hard times go to the shelters and try to work for a living and change their situation. Anyone living in Sanford around wooded lots know what I am talking about. Even the SPD knows they have hugh problem with the homeless crackheads. AND YES I am a christian person and I do beleive in helping those less fortunate, but many of them are just taking your handouts b/c they can or they steal from those who work hard for what they have.
pete

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

I was there yesterday and the event was wonderful, went off without a hitch.
Not all homeless are druggies and drunks! The best part of it was that many of the volunteers told about how they found themselves once homeless and pulled things around.
hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2008

I presume you are calling me a "token liberal apologist". If you knew me, which thankfully for me you do not, you would know how far from the truth you are. I am pretty conservative but smart enough to see wrong when I see it. As an example, when a city mayor that has a large population of homeless whines about having an event to provide those people care, that is simply wrong and if you don't see it then you are blind.
bumfight wrote:
Good job, Linda. Keep those stinky, smelly BUMS out of town!
I note that nobody from Sanford is complaining (other than one token liberal apologist). Only those from other towns.
If I lived in Sanford you'd get my vote! Come on down to Tampa Town!
Sanford Citizen

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2008

Vote Rich Santos for Sanford Mayor, March 3, 2009.
www.richsantos.org
Strider

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2008

Dazed and Confused wrote:
I do live in Sanford, Most all the homeless staying in Sanford are druggies and theives. These camp dwellers reside in woods behind my home - countless times me and my neighbors have had to call SPD b/c they were fighting, shots being fired, harrassing mine and the neighbor's daughters when they are in the pool in backyard and Oh yeah - breaking into our utility sheds stealing tools and stealing bicycles from our fenced in backyards. One guy had the nerve to kick my dog in the face while climbing over our backyard fence and threaten to sue us when the dog tore his leg up. Needless to say when SPD got there the guy had an outstanding warrant for B&E and assault w/ firearm.
Have you already forgotten the "stand your ground" law that was enacted 3 years ago? Instead of calling the cops (who are under no obligation to even respond, much less do anything else), get a gun and use any bum that climbs your fence or burglarizes your shed as target practice. When enough of them leave your property in body bags, the remainder will get the message and steer clear.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Longwood Discussions

Search the Longwood Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 22 min HCS 2,388
All us blacks should go back to Africa (Jul '13) 1 hr Secktre 193
The Comfort of Men Wearing Panties and Why.. (Nov '11) Tue dale miller 161
Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Tue nina roth 2,063
All white People are Evil (Jul '13) Tue busterwatch 22
Review: Johnnys Taxi & Airport Transportation (Feb '13) Tue Tom Stubbs 4
Printerpix Tue Nancy 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Longwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••