Teen driver in 2005 fatal wreck killed in I-25 crash

A Berthoud teenager who pleaded guilty tothe deaths of two teens in a 2005 car wreck was killed early this morning in a crash near Fort Collins that investigators believe was alcohol-related. Benjamin Moden, ... Full Story
Kait Englert

Greeley, CO

#1 Oct 10, 2006
You would think that Ben, of all people, would learn to be smarter than he was before and wear a seatbelt after Kurtis and Shawntae were killed because they weren't. Berthoud has already lost 4 teenagers since 2003, we don't need to lose 2 more. My prayers are with JD and Ben's family. They may have made a stupid choice, but they still are too young to die.
annonymus

Dickinson, ND

#2 Oct 11, 2006
you would think that he would have been smarter after killing other people, but apparently not. he must have been a very selfish uncaring individual to put other peoples lives at risk (not just his own but people he or his freinds and family dont even know) and not care. its not just about seatbelts and alcohal and learning a lesson its about selfishness and the greif that he carelessly put on untold hundreds of people. this little note may never be read by anyone but some thing was stolen from my heart on sunday morning when this crash happened (and you should be glad you did not see the horror of it) knowing that i will probably be misunderstood when i say this it doesnt just greive me but it makes me angry and i would like to say something to all of his freinds and people that partied with him that this was not an "accident" but an "act" of selfishness. my prayers go out to the families involved my heart greives with you and for you. i hope that his freind that was in the van with him recovers well. lets become caring and not careless. what an unnecessary nightmare we have to live with the rest of our lives.
anonymous berthoud CO

Pueblo, CO

#3 Oct 12, 2006
First off, you didn't know ben, so don't make assumptions. You said he was a selfish, uncaring individual, and you couldn't be farther from the truth. Ben had the biggest heart of anyone i knew and would have never wished this upon anyone. He made a few mistakes in life... who hasn't? He woke up everyday having to deal with the last accident and remorsed everyday. You forget about the people close to Ben and how they are grieving. Don't assume anything because obviously you didn't know him and know truly what kind of person and friend he was.
anonymous

Lawton, OK

#4 Oct 16, 2006
im not going to say much but apparently you didnt read or understand the complete content of the previous comment in order to have been offended by it, if you cant understand the heart of what the previous commenter said then it must be you that needs to get some understanding.
anonymous berthoud CO wrote:
First off, you didn't know ben, so don't make assumptions. You said he was a selfish, uncaring individual, and you couldn't be farther from the truth. Ben had the biggest heart of anyone i knew and would have never wished this upon anyone. He made a few mistakes in life... who hasn't? He woke up everyday having to deal with the last accident and remorsed everyday. You forget about the people close to Ben and how they are grieving. Don't assume anything because obviously you didn't know him and know truly what kind of person and friend he was.
Kristine

United States

#5 Dec 28, 2006
anonymous berthoud CO wrote:
First off this is a boy that took 2 of his friends lives because he "cared" about them. Give me a break...He had to wake up every morning with the guilt and remorse, but HE woke up every morning. Unlike my brother who we will never see again, and his twin who has to deal with the fact that he is alone after having a companion since before birth. Like I have always said before I am sorry for Ben's family, but he obviously didn't learn a single thing, cause you can't tell me he was doing drugs and drinking the night before because of sorrow...no he was having a good time and living life, while the rest of us are still living with his MISTAKE. And now once again WE are living with his mistake, while he does not have to deal with it.
faith

Concord, NC

#6 Sep 29, 2007
this is crazy that all these yong pople are having wrecks cause they hvae been drinking or cant drive or just make the wrong choices
RANDALL

United States

#7 Oct 2, 2007
OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO BEN'S FAMILY,THAT WAS THEIR SON AND REGARDLESS OF HIS PAST MISTAKES THEY STILL LOVED AND CARED FOR HIM, SO LET'S REMEMBER ALL THE FAMILIES ENVOLVED AND PRAY FOR THEM, THEY NEED OUR SUPPORT. GOD BLESS THEM ALL.
annonymous

Loveland, CO

#8 Oct 3, 2007
it is selfish to write such a comment as the comments of anger above. Grieve with the family. They live it every single day. I know em personally. It is a terrific tragedy that the familie's live in- more like a nightmare! Their son was taken to heaven that night. No one could ever feel that tremendous pain that the family and mother is going through! My heart and my soul brakes for their family. We love you MODENS! May God blanket you with peace!... for one day you will be reunited with your son & brother.

love someone close.
Erin

Eugene, OR

#9 Oct 9, 2007
I propose that we take this time to recognize that every young life lost is a heartbreak for many people involved, while we hold out hope that tragic mistakes made in the past will allow others the opportunity to learn from the errors of others...and leave it at that.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#10 Oct 15, 2007
There have been MORE wrecks since they took drivers ed out of the High Schools back in the late 80's, and privatized it.
Oklahoma

Denver, CO

#11 Dec 5, 2007
Yes people Kristine is right Ben was a great kid, when are you people going to understand that this child was sick. He almost died once and wished that he had and yes I know that for a fact I am so sorry for all the people lives that he touched my prayers are with all of you.
chicago

Urbana, IL

#12 Dec 10, 2007
This upsets me greatly. I was a good friend of one of the victims from the May accident and I am tired of hearing this kind of news. How many more teenagers need to die in careless accidents before more realize that driving is a serious privilege and should be taken seriously. If you drink don't drive, if you drive wear a seatbelt and don't blow a stop sign. I couldn't understand what kind of hell Ben went through after the May accident because I never been in that position. I feel for the families of everyone involved and pray for them but its ironic that how a boy who killed two others not too long ago in a careless accident repeats his mistakes again, this time claiming his own life. Theres no excuse.
anon imus

United States

#13 Dec 17, 2007
This demonstrates my point of IRRESPONSIBLE DRINKING. It happens at all ages, and leads to bad decisions, and repeated bad decisions. The problem here is not with alcohol, but with the people who make these decisions. There should be a system where only those responsible enough to understand moderation can drink. One would think that having killed 2 people, Benjamin would have sworn of alcohol for life...
emily

United States

#14 Feb 12, 2009
this 19 year old was comming home from college for easter break. she was a mile away from the exit and a drunk driver spun out of control hit her made her go across the median hit an 18 wheeler and died by impact. she was a sweetheart, and a christian girl. her family is wonderful. i love you ashley and wont forget you.
kaitlyn

United States

#15 Feb 12, 2009
damn drunk drivers. you kill everyone.
carly bailey

United States

#16 Feb 12, 2009
matthew was killed in car wreck when he was 18 yrs of age. he was hit by a 17 drunk guy. please raise the driving age! stupid drunk drivers.
yes...the drunk driver died to.
ps. there is more teen fatal car wrecks EACH AND EVERY YEAR than in 9/11. not adults too. TEENS!-raise the driving liscense age to 17 and permit to 16! please!
whatever

United States

#17 Feb 12, 2009
whatever....just raise the age.
WhyDoesIt

Fort Collins, CO

#18 Feb 13, 2009
Raising the legal driving license age is not going to stop under-aged people for getting the beer, wine or liquior, That also applies to driving a vehicle or riding a cycle.

Even if the legal driving license age is raise to 99 years old, people are still going to drive!
Rational

Longmont, CO

#19 May 1, 2012
Good riddance to the drunk drivers. And to those who still drink and drive I suggest you just take yourself out quickly rather than slow suicide where you take out innocents. I have no sympathy for imbeciles. Take yourselves out with cheap bullets and spare the rest of us. Please.
South Carolina---Rhond a B

Locust, NC

#21 Aug 9, 2013
Tonight I received a shock when I realized Kelly and Marie and their family had lost a child/brother/nephew. I graduated with Ben's Uncle Dillon and his death came as a shock too. I will not hide behind anon...his parents will know who I am by looking in their year book. I had large glasses. My sister was killed in a car accident involving black ice in 1979, her name was Roxanne and she was 20. Either way a life is taken it is never easy. I just pray for the hateful people who will judge a child by one of two large human mistakes. I am a recovered alcoholic, so I am sad to hear someone wishes me ill. I will pray for the families and those left behind regardless of who they are. Hate never opened the doors to Heaven....GOD's FORGIVENESS came to us as a gift by the DEATH of HIS SON.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Longmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Christmastime' in Boulder: Extras sought for f... 8 hr Mary E Brewer 1
Old evidence at new trial (May '06) Oct 28 Dad 1,111
Review: T V Service Center Oct 12 bill Brennan 4
Boulder researcher: 2013's flood-triggering rai... Oct 1 Boulder Jeep Fan 1
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 30 Lee 25
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) Sep '14 Brian_G 25
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Jim 4
Longmont Dating
Find my Match

Longmont People Search