Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
78,521 - 78,540 of 128,963 Comments Last updated 11 min ago
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81962
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Romans

8:1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them who are in
Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but
according to the Spirit.
8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life, in Christ Jesus, hath
made me free from the law of sin and death.
8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through
the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful
flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
8:4 That the righteousness of the law may be fulfilled in us,
who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the
Spirit.
8:5 For they that are according to the flesh, do mind the things
of the flesh: but they that are according to the Spirit, the
things of the Spirit.
8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually
minded [is] life and peace:
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is
not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81963
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Parental rights
http://overruledmovie.com/

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81964
Jul 4, 2012
 
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Since you don't KNOW he didn't... I might!
Only ifn he was ridin a Ostrich....
juggalo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81965
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

The truth sets you free wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the place for religion is not in the classroom neither should a place for teaching the religion of evolution be in the classroom.
Why can I label evolution as a religion is because it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in a creator!
Maybe for you ..but not all people are the same ..that is one of the main problems with a belief system ..its like having an emotional system and expecting everyone to have the same level of emotions that you have at any given time ...this is why religious groups have to work so hard keeping people "pumped up" religion has never been a success and never will be ...some people find it easier to believe certain things ,others don't
juggalo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81966
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

wrong wrote:
i do not believe that allowing a certified history teacher instruct young minds on the good, and evil, things done in jesus's name is a bad thing^
Funny thing is ..if the bible was taught from a historical point ..things like where the stories actually came from ..and the actual history of the writing of the bible ..the same people who are screaming to have bible class,would be the same ones protesting and trying to get it shut down
juggalo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81967
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I put no stock in anything un-righteous!
And this is why the Bible calls you guys a fool!
Don't worry... I was one too!
Thank God... not anymore!
But feel free to remain one if you want!
Wow I guess it does describe you ..

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81968
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Ignorance is Dangerous wrote:
The Almighty God is actually The God over both Good and Evil.
It states this both in the old and new testaments. The question is why? The answer is free will. The ultimate outcome that I've come to believe is that God wants a companion that he can Trust, which is the Bride that the Bible speaks of. It's just like when we fall in love with someone, it's not True Love unless the other person truly feels the same way about you as you do for them. It's not something you can force somebody to do, they must freely choose you, and you must freely choose them for it to be True LOVE. The Universe was created so that God could make himself a Bride, those that will LOVE him just as he LOVE's us, but so few choose to LOVE, they would rather find reason's to hate and that's ultimately why this world is destroying itself, and also why God is allowing it.
Psalm 34:21 Evil shall slay the Wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.
Matthew 18:7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
Romans 14:8,9 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord BOTH OF THE DEAD AND LIVING.
Matthew 13:30 Let BOTH GROW TOGETHER (((until the harvest))): and (((in the time of harvest))) I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and (((bind them in bundles to burn them))): but gather (((the wheat into my barn))).
Matthew 13:39 <<<<<<THE HARVEST IS THE END OF THE WORLD>>>>> >>
I see that this has been posted 2 or 3 times so maybe I'm replying to a person who isn't interested in having a discussion? I don't know.

But anyway, this conception of god and free will is, in my view, problematic as hell. In fact all free arguments are problematic, especially when used to justify belief in god.

If god created the universe for the sole purpose of ensuring that human beings could freely choose to love him then imagine for a moment how selfish and mean such a god would have to be. We struggle here on Earth every day with disease, violence, heartbreak, terror, and the impending threat of death. God is absolutely SILENT about it. We have a book that some people is the word of god, but god never shows up to tell us one way or the other. We are absolutely blind and left to our own devices. Why? So our choices will not be biased? So god can have a companion that isn't coerced?

Yet coercion is exactly what is going on. When I got saved as a young teen it was because the church I went to scared the crap out of me with talk of hellfire. I freely chose to get saved because I didn't want to be tortured. How is that free will?

No, I reject your hypothesis about reality. If a god exists as described in your post then that god is a selfish, mean, evil being and I have no desire to pay such a being any respect at all.

The free will defense of a Biblical god is, in a word, a dumb argument.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81969
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Barbadus wrote:
Well, currently science and evolution is being taught as facts to our kids right now. Most science is exact and factual. Such as if you mix this with this and you get that. But some things are guess works, even if it's educated guess work.
I think there should be an opening to the basics as part of the topics to give the kids an idea of the different religions and then choose to either pursue one or none at all. Not make it mandatory.
Also with some forms of religions having different denomination the Bible should be taught with a non denominational point of view and allow the Church they and their parents go to get deeper in details.
I can get on board with this.

I would also add that science needs to be taught from the proper context. I think people assume science is either 100% correct or 100% wrong. But the reality is that all science is provisional...it changes. Every theory we have is conditional. If new evidence challenges the theory then the theory has to change to accommodate it or it has to be replaced with a better theory the way Einstein replaced Newton.

The problem with Fundamentalists is that they do not like that kind of uncertainty. They want the universe to be exact and they want it to be exactly what they think it is. You tell them that a theory is provisional and they will reply that God is not, therefore God is superior. But their belief is not based on anything other than faith, which is not a good foundation for knowledge.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81970
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that this has been posted 2 or 3 times so maybe I'm replying to a person who isn't interested in having a discussion? I don't know.
But anyway, this conception of god and free will is, in my view, problematic as hell. In fact all free arguments are problematic, especially when used to justify belief in god.
If god created the universe for the sole purpose of ensuring that human beings could freely choose to love him then imagine for a moment how selfish and mean such a god would have to be. We struggle here on Earth every day with disease, violence, heartbreak, terror, and the impending threat of death. God is absolutely SILENT about it. We have a book that some people is the word of god, but god never shows up to tell us one way or the other. We are absolutely blind and left to our own devices. Why? So our choices will not be biased? So god can have a companion that isn't coerced?
Yet coercion is exactly what is going on. When I got saved as a young teen it was because the church I went to scared the crap out of me with talk of hellfire. I freely chose to get saved because I didn't want to be tortured. How is that free will?
No, I reject your hypothesis about reality. If a god exists as described in your post then that god is a selfish, mean, evil being and I have no desire to pay such a being any respect at all.
The free will defense of a Biblical god is, in a word, a dumb argument.
I never get that far in contemplation on the subject... I stop at "That's just Silly" .....

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81971
Jul 4, 2012
 
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I never get that far in contemplation on the subject... I stop at "That's just Silly" .....
I'm masochistically interested in it. I enjoy the philosophical side of the debate more than I should...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81972
Jul 4, 2012
 
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm masochistically interested in it. I enjoy the philosophical side of the debate more than I should...
Every boy needs a hobby.....
Believer

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81973
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You might wonder Why it's everywhere.... I'll tell you...
God is real!
God's word will stand when even you breathe your last!
Amen. They laugh at God and the Bible.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81974
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen. They laugh at God and the Bible.
No we don't... We laugh at the Believers of that Silly make believe crap... Big Difference...

“Tesla”

Since: Jul 11

Los Altos Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81975
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen. They laugh at God and the Bible.
Why would I do that? I love books. Especially ones on myths. Greek mythologies are a joy to read, though not as gory as the bible.
Believer

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81976
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No we don't... We laugh at the Believers of that Silly make believe crap... Big Difference...
And they still laugh at God.
Believer

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81977
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I do that? I love books. Especially ones on myths. Greek mythologies are a joy to read, though not as gory as the bible.
And they still laugh at God.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81978
Jul 4, 2012
 
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
And they still laugh at God.
No they don't... I never laugh at make believe figures, I laugh at the people that believe make believe figures are real.... I don't laugh at Santa Clause or the Ester Bunny, I don't laugh at Thor or The Green Lantern.... I Laugh at people that think they are Real.... I don't laugh a Captain Pacard or Mr. Spock ... I chuckle my A$$ off at the people wearing little Star Trek Uniforms learning to speak Klingon...
Known fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81979
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The place for religion is not in the classroom neither should a place for teaching the religion of EVOLUTION be in the classroom.
Why can I label evolution as a religion is because it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in a creator! Religion should be taught at home or your place of worship not the public school classroom
ThisIsStupid

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81980
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

The truth sets you free wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the place for religion is not in the classroom neither should a place for teaching the religion of evolution be in the classroom.
Why can I label evolution as a religion is because it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in a creator!
Evolution is fact. The theory of evolution doesn't involve apes becoming humans, if you took a AP Biology class in school, you could learn this. Evolution basically teachs how good genes are passed on to the next generation while bad genes die out, it's natural selection. Please don't get Evolution confused with 'Origins', I believe that's the name of the group teaching about apes becoming humans.
ThisIsStupid

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81981
Jul 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

Known fact wrote:
The place for religion is not in the classroom neither should a place for teaching the religion of EVOLUTION be in the classroom.
Why can I label evolution as a religion is because it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in a creator! Religion should be taught at home or your place of worship not the public school classroom
Please excuse me, but you call Evolution a 'religion', this is false. Religion is the practice and/or worshiping of a god or gods...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

125 Users are viewing the London Forum right now

Search the London Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min shish 147,020
WE THE PEOPLE Are Not Laughing Anymore 8 min turkeyz 22
GOP take over of Illinois 10 min Funny 3
Times Are Getting Bad, We're Losing More Freedoms 17 min Dawg 287
Laurel County cops shoot child's dog for no reason 28 min Justice 23
another rich lib liar 35 min ha ha ha 2
Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fab... 51 min truth 2
Stop Odumba WAR ON COAL 3 hr Billy 267
•••
•••
•••
•••

London Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

London News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in London
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••