Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,873

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#82010 Jul 5, 2012
Stupidppl wrote:
Some of you are bout crazy and I will pray for you nothing you can say or prove will ever make me doubt that my savior came and died for me so I could have a chance to live.
"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of humankind, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18)."
There are many reasons people do not believe in God but it is not because of lack of evidence. People do not believe because of pride or an ignorance of God's Word and His power. Those who are ignorant of God want to be ignorant. They do not want to know Him.
Horsey Puckey Doo Doo...
fact

Grayson, KY

#82011 Jul 5, 2012
you ppl base you whole religon on a book wrote by just men not a god if god had wrote the bible there wouldnt be so many mistakes
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82012 Jul 5, 2012
fact wrote:
you ppl base you whole religon on a book wrote by just men not a god if god had wrote the bible there wouldnt be so many mistakes
you are making an assumption about the nature of the god.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82013 Jul 5, 2012
Stupidppl wrote:
Some of you are bout crazy and I will pray for you nothing you can say or prove will ever make me doubt that my savior came and died for me so I could have a chance to live.
"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of humankind, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18)."
There are many reasons people do not believe in God but it is not because of lack of evidence. People do not believe because of pride or an ignorance of God's Word and His power. Those who are ignorant of God want to be ignorant. They do not want to know Him.
interesting that you wrote that "nothing you can say or prove" etc. even proof would not be sufficient to change your mind. that is really devoted!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82014 Jul 5, 2012
No Religion wrote:
There is more evidence of science than religion. This planet has been here for billions of years not millions and thanks to evolution we exist. Stephen Hawkins, the smartest man in the world, said there is no creator. Sorry
The argument from authority is usually made by idiots on the other side. first of all, who says Stephen Hawkins (sic) is the smartest man in the world, and how would they know if they were not extremely smart themselves? and how would some smartness or other be relevant to whether that would be useful in knowing whether there is a creator? you are being silly, and extreme, going too far. and then you have the nerve to say "sorry"! it is hard atheists who claim to have knowledge or have proof or to be sure there is go good who give the hope to the silly believers - all they have to do is say "prove it" to you. you can't prove it, nor could a smart man like Stephen Hawkins (sic) prove it. it is very likely beyond proving by any reasonable standardproof, in a reality we as humans cannot reach and maybe can never reach, even with math and science.

all you have to do to be smarter than Stephen Hawkins(sic) is to admit you do not know whether there is a god, and then go and say that personally you doubt it. nonbelief is perfectly respectable if it is not bragging that you know something you don't know.

I keep telling people it is totally unnecessary and even counterproductive and silly, arrogant and hard-headed, to claim to know or to be able to prove there is no god of any sort. All one has to do is challenge a believer in some god to prove that god exists, and the believer will not be able to do it, and then you have won. Once you say you know, then someone asks you to prove it, and you can't, and then you have lost - when you did not have to even play that silly game.

A hard atheist is the name for the foolish ones who claim to know or be able to prove there is no god. an agnostic atheist is the name for the smart ones who do not claim to know, but certainly do not believe in any god. all we have to do is ask any believer to prove that what he believes is true, and we have an easy road - he cannot do it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82015 Jul 5, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawking said no such thing....
I don't think he did either. Besides, some people say one thing in one context, and a slightly different thing in another context. your other comment was very helpful and well stated, by the way - regarding science.

I still do not know whether you think that not believing is on the same footing with believing. You seem to think believing leads to some sort of arrogant insistence - which it certainly often does, especially in the case of religion. Do you think nonbelief also leads to arrogant insistence? I think the hard atheists who claim to know do not know, and that this makes them arrogant - whereas agnostic (notknowing) atheists (notbelieving) like me are refusing to claim more than we can prove. I have to be careful even when I am phrasing my belief that mankind does not know and cannot prove whether a god exists or not, and my doubt that we can ever know - I have to be careful not to say it will always be beyond us, though that is my opinion. but I don't know it.
MirrorMan

Palatka, FL

#82016 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> interesting that you wrote that "nothing you can say or prove" etc. even proof would not be sufficient to change your mind. that is really devoted!
"Devoted" isn't quite the word I'd use. I think Beaconsfield would be too uptown for some of these folks.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82017 Jul 5, 2012
Stupidppl wrote:
what you mean is that you want a chance to live on as something like yourself after you die - or you want to be raptured up before you die normally, I assume. and for that privilege you want someone to suffer and die. not very nice of you.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82018 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I can get on board with this.
I would also add that science needs to be taught from the proper context. I think people assume science is either 100% correct or 100% wrong. But the reality is that all science is provisional...it changes. Every theory we have is conditional. If new evidence challenges the theory then the theory has to change to accommodate it or it has to be replaced with a better theory the way Einstein replaced Newton.
The problem with Fundamentalists is that they do not like that kind of uncertainty. They want the universe to be exact and they want it to be exactly what they think it is. You tell them that a theory is provisional and they will reply that God is not, therefore God is superior. But their belief is not based on anything other than faith, which is not a good foundation for knowledge.
well written. have you seen my criticisms of socalled hard (knowledge-claiming) atheism, versus my praise of what I call agnostic (not-knowing) atheism? I do not know how many real skeptics on here are agnostic atheists, which I think is genuine skepticism. Some atheists word their comments in ways which look like they are making a knowledge claim, when I doubt if they really think they can prove it in an adequate way - they only feel very sure they are correct. This is too much like what the fundy believers do, in saying they know, for my taste. if you say you know, you gotta prove it - either way - is my standard. if you don't say you know, you just challenge the fool who says he does know! the doubter wins, in my view.
Believer

Jamestown, KY

#82019 Jul 5, 2012
Stupidppl wrote:
They laugh at God. I believe too.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82020 Jul 5, 2012
MirrorMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Devoted" isn't quite the word I'd use. I think Beaconsfield would be too uptown for some of these folks.
I used the word devoted in an attempt to get a funny, I admit it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82021 Jul 5, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Horsey Puckey Doo Doo...
is that reply something along the lines of occam's razor and the concept of elegance? shortest and simplest says it best?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82022 Jul 5, 2012
ThisIsStupid wrote:
If they're going to teach us about christianity in schools, then they're also going to have to teach us about Buddhism, Greek Mythology, Judaism, Samaritanism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Mysticism and Occult, Neopaganism, and etc.
AMERICA WAS AND STILL IS A MELTING POT OF DIVERSITY, THIS INCLUDES RELIGION, WE ARE NOT ALL CHRISTIANS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS, THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS, AND TO FORCEFULLY TEACH OUR CHILDREN ABOUT CHRISTIANITY IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
I agree in part - however, I do not think that their intent is to teach children about Christianity. I would love to have children actually taught about Christianity - how it arose, the wars between denominations, the Inquisition, its support of slavery, the iffy behavior of the Popes during WWII, its teachings to the oppressed to stay down and wait for heaven or to inherit the earth at a later date, etc. The fundies would howl with rage if children were taught the whole truth about christianity, even if a few of the nicer things about a few nice Christians were also mentioned.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82023 Jul 5, 2012
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
You also get weppins of mass destrucktions.
that was funny, though I have to check the context and some of your other comments to be sure what point you are making!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82024 Jul 5, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>"What is the God particle?" In the religious world it is a dingleberry on god's arse.
actually I read somewhere that originally when someone started looking for it he called it that goddamned particle, and that was deemed inappropriate.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82025 Jul 5, 2012
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand pure common logic.
Different religions holding claim to the same holy land? Those religions don't really like each other? They're going to fight over the holy land? Who would have thought!
OK, I like your humor. if I have to figure out your views from your various funny comments, it is worth the bother.
MirrorMan

Palatka, FL

#82026 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I used the word devoted in an attempt to get a funny, I admit it.
And when you drive thru Beaconsfield I think you get my humor, too.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82027 Jul 5, 2012
bigballs wrote:
i can tell you this there is no god so get over it . we in are in a wolrl of pain . right from the beging of time we allways wanted to belive in something. something that will get us throu are day. its called hope for happeness. all we long for is peace. and hope . the world is a terrible place to b in. so we have to look up to someone. even if it is not real. even before this GOD . ther were many GODS so . whos gods whos . mm thats right .the will of man will always go on even if thers a glimmer of hope. this is and aways will b are way of life.
well, I take that as more of an emotional statement than as an intellectual one, and will try to reply to the emotions.

yes there is pain and suffering, and it is possible for individuals to make the world have less or more pain and suffering. so I say, first do no harm. try not to hurt others. and do not harm yourself either.(and others include animals) it is ok to defend yourself if attacked however, but that is not an excuse for excessive force. these are realistic notions.

yes, people are full of a will to live - and sometimes to live in horrid conditions. we should not - as voters - support political leaders who are eager to get us into wars against nations that have not attacked us. that would reduce suffering.

as a woman, I should get a mammogram, and urge other women above a certain age to get a mammogram, at least every year, and sometimes in six months. the machines take such good images now that a small problem can be detected before it even becomes dangerous. that makes possible surgery and radiation, and a 95% of 10 year survival. these little non-yet-dangerous cancers are called a DCIS, and are called stage zero! catching them early will save horrible pain, suffering, expense, worry. there are things men need to have early tests for too, I am sure. and we all need tests for colon cancer as we age. it is not as yukky as it sounds.

we should drive carefully, not recklessly and not drunk that would save lots of pain and suffering. so much more is under our control now. one thing is to make sure the cops arrest drunk drivers, by complaining when they don't - and calling cops to report drunk or reckless drivers.

we are not as helpless as you make it seem.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82028 Jul 5, 2012
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
To prove you're not as smart as you think you are.
that was to some other guy, I think. so it is a competitive male ego thing. of course - whether god exists or not is just another bone to fight over to test the level of testosterone.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82029 Jul 5, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>First tell me how to prove nothing.
OK - you being smarty, and that was funny and you got me. of course I mean that as "it does not prove anything" so now you can have some fun with that also. I do not mind when you are funny to avoid answering, because your funnies are funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
loan 44 min rob 1
ppl claiming 2B christians, gambling W/bingo games 50 min MrsGladToBeMe 17
Designers Catering (May '12) 6 hr girl that loves b... 13
If You Worship Your Christmas Tree, You Are SIN... 9 hr girl that loves b... 9
Democrat Liberal party a CULT spawned by satan. (Aug '12) 18 hr Gee13 9
Christmas lights on Main St. 19 hr onevoter 10
best place for short trendy haircut 22 hr Kychick 5
London Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web