First Prev
of 4
Next Last
UNSATISFIED AN DISGUSTED

Franklin, OH

#1 Jun 23, 2010
I just want everyone to know that this is not a place that you want to be if you want your child to have fair shot at playing ball. It is ran improperly an is all about rubbing elbows an sucking the right people !!!!!!!!! I spoke with one of the leagues presidents about this told him i grew up playing at South Eastern an was down graded because of that an told him how South West runs there league which is a little more fair to kids an he continued to down grade that league as well..... ENOUGH SAID I JUST WANT ALL TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!!
wellknown

United States

#2 Jun 24, 2010
It's well known that both South and Southeastern are ELITE youth baseball leagues and are pretty much ran as such (they like to give each other a hard time, but both are as good as it gets). They are the best of the best...and that includes the entire nation. If you want a goody goody feel good parks and rec league, you're looking in the wrong place. That's not to say they are bad, not at all. I have been involved with both for 9+ years now and LOVE it. It's different strokes for different folks. You have to know that going in.

If there were no other options in Lexington it would be a different story but there are many other leagues that offer a more "fair" (your words) approach.
UNSATISFIED AN DISGUSTED

Franklin, OH

#3 Jun 24, 2010
wellknown wrote:
It's well known that both South and Southeastern are ELITE youth baseball leagues and are pretty much ran as such (they like to give each other a hard time, but both are as good as it gets). They are the best of the best...and that includes the entire nation. If you want a goody goody feel good parks and rec league, you're looking in the wrong place. That's not to say they are bad, not at all. I have been involved with both for 9+ years now and LOVE it. It's different strokes for different folks. You have to know that going in.
If there were no other options in Lexington it would be a different story but there are many other leagues that offer a more "fair" (your words) approach.
LIKE I SAID I GREW UP PLAYING IN SOUTH EASTERN SO I KNOW THEY ARE GOOD AND JUST TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE UP AT SOUTH LEXINGTON ARE BAD PEOPLE THERE ARE SOME WONDERFUL PEOPLE THERE ..........I JUST THINK THAT THE KIDS SHOULD BE JUDGED BY THE TALENT AN EFFORT THEY PUT OUT NOT BY WHO THEIR PARENTS ARE OR WHO THEY KNOW OR BY THE AMOUNT OF TIME THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE LEAGUE IS ALL I AM SAYING !!!!!!!!!
slyb sucks

Lexington, KY

#4 Jun 28, 2010
I agree completely. We played up there for a few years before we realized how political it is. It's all about who you know and if you'll kiss their butts or not. Thank goodness we got out of there! We've talked to dozens of other people who have horror stories of the political nightmares that go on up there. Several of them said SLYB turned their kids against baseball forever - I'm glad it didn't do that to mine! And now we have been playing against SLYB (and winning!) What's funny and sad is that they actually THINK they are the best league in town! When you comprise your all star teams with kids just because of who their parents are or how much money they "sponsor" the league with- it's no wonder your All Star teams suck! The best kids should be picked, but it's not that way there! I would advise everyone to GO ELSEWHERE - there are leagues in this town that don't have district regulations!
slyb is great

Lexington, KY

#5 Jul 3, 2010
My son played T-ball at SLYB for three years and he just finished his first year of Rookie ball. As "wellknown" said, it is a very competitive league. From what I have seen in my four years around the league, they have the best coaches around. My son is not old enough to worry about the All-Star teams yet (and not good enough either), but it bothers me when I see grown adults like some of the other posters saying that a kids' team "sucks". Perhaps their kids, who their parents must think are little Ted Williams, display the same poor attitude and sportsmanship....and that is why they were not selected to SLYB's All-Star Teams. Lastly, SLYB teams won both the Major and Rookie City Tournaments...not to shabby for teams that suck!
Enough said

Dayton, OH

#6 Jul 4, 2010
17 former SLYB Players named to All-City baseball teams: Seventeen former South Lexington Youth Baseball players were named to All-City high school baseball teams which were selected by Lexington’s high school coaches. Six of the former SLYB players were named to the first team. Here is breakdown with the SLYB Major League team name at the time the players were in the league in parenthesis:
FIRST TEAM: Logan Shaftner (White Sox); Tanner Lockard (Mariners-now Astros); Nick Fergerson (Rebels-now Orioles); and Johnny Youngblood (Braves) all of Lafayette. Taylor Martin (White Sox) of Lexington Catholic; and Ryan Fucci (White Sox) of Tates Creek.
SECOND TEAM: Brent Cobb (Royals) of Lafayette; Clay Mossbarger (Cardinals) of LCA; and Brad Harp (Rebels) of Dunbar.
HONORABLE MENTION: Jason Fibel (Royals); Chris Graves (Braves) and Chad Warner (Cardinals) all of Lafayette; Tyler Cox (Rebels) of Dunbar; and Michael Lyon (A’s) of LCA.
ACADEMIC: Brett Durbin (Reds) and Chad Warner (Cardinals) of Lafayette; Drew Walls (White Sox) of LCA; and Austin Meek (Cubs) of Dunbar.
4 ex-SLYB Players Chosen in Major League Draft
Four former players at South Lexington Youth Baseball --Thomas Royse, Jayson Langfels, Tyler Oliver and Casey Lucchese -- were chosen in this week’s Major League Baseball draft of college juniors and high school seniors.
Royse, a hard throwing right-handed pitcher, went to the Chicago White Sox in the third round and was the overall 114th selection in the MLB draft. Royse, who was a South Lexington Cardinal (1998-2001) and a starter on the 2001 SLYB Cal Ripken World Series championship team, just completed his junior year at the University of Louisville where this season he had a 9-1 record and a 2.85 earned run average for the Big East regular season and tournament champion Cardinals. Royse was the ace of the Dunbar High School pitching staff when the Bulldogs won the 2007 Kentucky State High School baseball tournament championship.
Langfels, an infielder, went to the Colorado Rockies in the 16th round. Langfels, too, was a SLYB Cardinals (1998-2001) and a prominent member of the 2001 World Series championship team. He starred as an infielder at Lafayette High School before moving on to an excellent three-year college career at Eastern Kentucky University. He won several individual honors in the Ohio Valley Conference and during the 2010 college season hit .353 with 16 home runs and 52 runs batted in.
Like Royse and Langfels, Oliver and Lucchese were starters on SLYB’s 2001 World Series championship team. Oliver (drafted by the Washington Nationals) and Lucchese (drafted by the Chicago Cubs) went in later rounds of the MLB draft. At SLYB, Oliver played for the Major League A’s and Lucchese the Cubs
Quit your whining and grow up, it's about the kids, not the parents.
have to disagree

Lexington, KY

#7 Jul 7, 2010
I am a mother who just happened to stumble across this forum and I have to disagree with the last two posts. While those are very impressive statistics and numbers, and while I don't dispute the fact that you teach kids to play baseball, to think that SLYB is a league about the kids is completely wrong. We have played there the last three years and seen many players off of our teams leave to go elsewhere because they were unhappy. We will be doing the same next year. This league is most certainly not about the kids. It's all about politics, who you know and what you'll do for them. The more you do for the league, the more your kid will play. bottom line. Our coach showed us an email this season from a board memeber instructing him to sit kids on the bench if their parents didn't pay the $20.00/HOUR BUYOUT for concession duty (This was during the tournament so we had already bought out candy, bought out concession for the regular season, donated money to fun day, worked game times during fun day, and paid our registration fee). Really? Punish the kid because his/her parent can't pay the ridiculous $20/hour buyout for concession? That doesn't sound like it's about kids. And all those players you mentioned before- how many of their parents were board members/coaches who would jump when the league told them too? A lot I bet. It's not hard to make a kid good at something when you do whatever the league tells you to so they can play whatever position you want during fall, spring and summer. And that last line "Quit your whining and grow up"- sounds like what a board member from this league would say- that's the problem with the league and as long as they continue this way it will never get any better. After we decided to leave I have been pulled aside by so many people telling me their stories from how bad it was when they played there. I don't know if the other leagues in town are any different but we will find out because we will not be back to SLYB. It's not about kids or parents at SLYB- it's all politics.
UNSATISFIED AN DISGUSTED

Evansville, IN

#8 Jul 10, 2010
Thank you very much my son just went through the same things you mentioned ... We just played today at a tournament where slyb was playing also an the coach came an told me he wished he had my son on his team but he is not because of politics ...Now evryone can think what they want but the truth is the truth!!!!!!1
have to disagree wrote:
I am a mother who just happened to stumble across this forum and I have to disagree with the last two posts. While those are very impressive statistics and numbers, and while I don't dispute the fact that you teach kids to play baseball, to think that SLYB is a league about the kids is completely wrong. We have played there the last three years and seen many players off of our teams leave to go elsewhere because they were unhappy. We will be doing the same next year. This league is most certainly not about the kids. It's all about politics, who you know and what you'll do for them. The more you do for the league, the more your kid will play. bottom line. Our coach showed us an email this season from a board memeber instructing him to sit kids on the bench if their parents didn't pay the $20.00/HOUR BUYOUT for concession duty (This was during the tournament so we had already bought out candy, bought out concession for the regular season, donated money to fun day, worked game times during fun day, and paid our registration fee). Really? Punish the kid because his/her parent can't pay the ridiculous $20/hour buyout for concession? That doesn't sound like it's about kids. And all those players you mentioned before- how many of their parents were board members/coaches who would jump when the league told them too? A lot I bet. It's not hard to make a kid good at something when you do whatever the league tells you to so they can play whatever position you want during fall, spring and summer. And that last line "Quit your whining and grow up"- sounds like what a board member from this league would say- that's the problem with the league and as long as they continue this way it will never get any better. After we decided to leave I have been pulled aside by so many people telling me their stories from how bad it was when they played there. I don't know if the other leagues in town are any different but we will find out because we will not be back to SLYB. It's not about kids or parents at SLYB- it's all politics.
UNSATISFIED AN DISGUSTED

Evansville, IN

#9 Jul 10, 2010
Oh an cram your stats JESS lmao!!!!!!1
Enough said wrote:
17 former SLYB Players named to All-City baseball teams: Seventeen former South Lexington Youth Baseball players were named to All-City high school baseball teams which were selected by Lexington’s high school coaches. Six of the former SLYB players were named to the first team. Here is breakdown with the SLYB Major League team name at the time the players were in the league in parenthesis:
FIRST TEAM: Logan Shaftner (White Sox); Tanner Lockard (Mariners-now Astros); Nick Fergerson (Rebels-now Orioles); and Johnny Youngblood (Braves) all of Lafayette. Taylor Martin (White Sox) of Lexington Catholic; and Ryan Fucci (White Sox) of Tates Creek.
SECOND TEAM: Brent Cobb (Royals) of Lafayette; Clay Mossbarger (Cardinals) of LCA; and Brad Harp (Rebels) of Dunbar.
HONORABLE MENTION: Jason Fibel (Royals); Chris Graves (Braves) and Chad Warner (Cardinals) all of Lafayette; Tyler Cox (Rebels) of Dunbar; and Michael Lyon (A’s) of LCA.
ACADEMIC: Brett Durbin (Reds) and Chad Warner (Cardinals) of Lafayette; Drew Walls (White Sox) of LCA; and Austin Meek (Cubs) of Dunbar.
4 ex-SLYB Players Chosen in Major League Draft
Four former players at South Lexington Youth Baseball --Thomas Royse, Jayson Langfels, Tyler Oliver and Casey Lucchese -- were chosen in this week’s Major League Baseball draft of college juniors and high school seniors.
Royse, a hard throwing right-handed pitcher, went to the Chicago White Sox in the third round and was the overall 114th selection in the MLB draft. Royse, who was a South Lexington Cardinal (1998-2001) and a starter on the 2001 SLYB Cal Ripken World Series championship team, just completed his junior year at the University of Louisville where this season he had a 9-1 record and a 2.85 earned run average for the Big East regular season and tournament champion Cardinals. Royse was the ace of the Dunbar High School pitching staff when the Bulldogs won the 2007 Kentucky State High School baseball tournament championship.
Langfels, an infielder, went to the Colorado Rockies in the 16th round. Langfels, too, was a SLYB Cardinals (1998-2001) and a prominent member of the 2001 World Series championship team. He starred as an infielder at Lafayette High School before moving on to an excellent three-year college career at Eastern Kentucky University. He won several individual honors in the Ohio Valley Conference and during the 2010 college season hit .353 with 16 home runs and 52 runs batted in.
Like Royse and Langfels, Oliver and Lucchese were starters on SLYB’s 2001 World Series championship team. Oliver (drafted by the Washington Nationals) and Lucchese (drafted by the Chicago Cubs) went in later rounds of the MLB draft. At SLYB, Oliver played for the Major League A’s and Lucchese the Cubs
Quit your whining and grow up, it's about the kids, not the parents.
Slyb cheats

Erlanger, KY

#10 Jul 10, 2010
Slyb's minor team made it to the city championship this year then got disqualified for cheating. Enough said.
Its about the kids

Lexington, KY

#11 Jul 11, 2010
South East and South Lexington are by far the best baseball leagues in Lexington. They are well respected within the Babe Ruth organization. These 2 leagues serve more than all of the other leagues combined. They have the smallest area the draw from becasue Babe Ruth confines them to certain areas. Pony and Western Little League both have larger territories but have fewer players. Sure there are a few disgrunted parents that their kid did not make a post season team and choose to bash a league, but the facts are that more people choose to play with these leagues than any other. The above posts shows that South Lexington teaches the game of baseabll ( judging by the number of players selected to the MLD draft, number of players on high school teams). Both these have close to 800 people in them so if you have a 5% of the people disgrunteled ( and believe you me in youth sports that is a low number) you are still going to have 40-50 people upset. Simply put, judging by the timing of this first post ( Late June) some parent thinks their little Johnny should have made an All Star team but he didnt so they bash a good system. The "knock" on these 2 leagues over the years is that they are over competive, so if their kids were good enough they would have been on the team. Maybe these paretns should look themselves in the mirror and try and help their kids improve their game and their attitude.
have to disagree

Lexington, KY

#12 Jul 13, 2010
I still have to disagree with you. I challenge anybody to try SLYB for one season- really get involved and get to know your coach and your board members. You will see how crooked things are up there and how political it is. They do teach baseball but they show horrible examples of how to be decent people. Let's face it - when our kids are all grown up is it going to matter that they have learned how to play baseball or that they've learned to lie, cheat and manipulate their way to the top? Because I promise they will learn baseball at SLYB but they will also learn that fairness doesn't matter as long as you get what you want- there are leagues in this town where they can learn baseball and fairness and SLYB is NOT IT!
fan

Mount Morris, MI

#13 Jul 13, 2010
i will agree, at south eastern alot is about politics and they are elite no doubt. i played there starting at 9 in the major league level or what ever they may call it now. i came from a somewhat not completely middle class more poor, and we lived in frankfort 45 minutes away. i worked my ass off and for the next three seasons started on 2 championship teams. if you can get past the politics and are not afraid to get dirty anybody with talent and dedication can make a name for themselves up there. plus the level of elite play there will have your kids ready for the next level if that is what you want that is what you will get. most kids that come out of there are almost ready to be on a high school team. ultimately the next step is college and south eastern and south lexington are college baseball factories!
INSIDER

Erlanger, KY

#14 Jul 16, 2010
HMMMM, well you can quote all the stats, throw in all the great players "YOU" say came from SLYB, and make excuses for the rest of the inadequacies of yourself as well as your league but he truth is this! Those kids worked hard to get where they are and it has nothing to do with SLYB (again you morons taking credit for something you did'nt do) I can skew any stats to make anything look good, Politician do it all the time.......Such as the FACT that your league had the fewest returning players this year than any previous year WELL I DID NOT HAVE TO SKEW THAT....see how honesty works! or the FACT that your board members are board members because thier kids are not athletic enough to play all-stars so this gets them in wow I didnt have to skew that either....guess I couldnt be one of those politicians you guys trade off with (GEORGE MYER) Your league is run by Liars (JUDE RITHIE), Thieves (PERRY DUNN), Cheaters (DALE HAMLIN) not to mention the fact that if you dont comply with the MASTERS commands you get blackballed. And lets not even go into the corrupt umpiring of (JASON LONG) he falSl into all three of the previous groups. And as for the ELITE league of the city....SLYB has not won anything this year, even being disqualified from one tournament for cheating. There is only one ELITE league in this city and that is SE. SLYB goes out of its way to steal players from SE such as telling parents to find an address within the SLYB district to put on thier registration to try to get them to play at SLYB instead of SE (you turds cant even cheat right). SALL I GO ON.....Lets go into the extortion of parents after they have commited to the league such as buying out concession for 20.00 an hour, or putting up money for the auction basket, or candy sales (which i will give you credit for ALMOST keeping your promise to the kids and rewarding top sellers)....all this after requiring the team to come up with a sponsor. Then threatning the coach that you are going to make kids sit if they do not participate in these extortion practices. At least inform the new parents of all the extortion events prior to signing up. BOTTOM LINE IS YOUR LEAGUE SUCKS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM> I COMPARE IT TO THE LEXINGTON MOB>>>JUST GLAD I GOT OUT WITH MY KNEE CAPS INTACT...OR NOT TAKING YOURS!
INSIDER

Erlanger, KY

#15 Jul 16, 2010
Its about the kids wrote:
South East and South Lexington are by far the best baseball leagues in Lexington. They are well respected within the Babe Ruth organization. These 2 leagues serve more than all of the other leagues combined. They have the smallest area the draw from becasue Babe Ruth confines them to certain areas. Pony and Western Little League both have larger territories but have fewer players. Sure there are a few disgrunted parents that their kid did not make a post season team and choose to bash a league, but the facts are that more people choose to play with these leagues than any other. The above posts shows that South Lexington teaches the game of baseabll ( judging by the number of players selected to the MLD draft, number of players on high school teams). Both these have close to 800 people in them so if you have a 5% of the people disgrunteled ( and believe you me in youth sports that is a low number) you are still going to have 40-50 people upset. Simply put, judging by the timing of this first post ( Late June) some parent thinks their little Johnny should have made an All Star team but he didnt so they bash a good system. The "knock" on these 2 leagues over the years is that they are over competive, so if their kids were good enough they would have been on the team. Maybe these paretns should look themselves in the mirror and try and help their kids improve their game and their attitude.
YOUR SO FULL OF IT! IF IT WAS ABOUT THE KIDS YOU WOULD DO IT RIGHT...SUCH AS A DRAFT...SUCH AS MAKING SURE THAT YOU GET THE BEST KIDS ON YOUR ALL-STAR TEAMS NOT THE KIDS WHO PARENTS FALL ON THIER KNEES WHEN YOU IDIOTS WALK IN THE PARK....YOU DO NIETHER! YOU LIE TO PARENTS YOU CHEAT THE KIDS AND YOU EXTORT MONEY AFTER THE LEAGUE STARTS AND YOUR NUMBERS OF 5% UNHAPPINES IS A LAUGH TRY 45% AND THAT JUST BECAUSE THE OTHER 55% ARE EITHER BOARD MEMBERS OR COACHES AFRAID TO STAND UP TO YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID OF WHAT YOU GUYS WILL DO TO THIER KIDS.
INSIDER

Erlanger, KY

#16 Jul 16, 2010
slyb is great wrote:
My son played T-ball at SLYB for three years and he just finished his first year of Rookie ball. As "wellknown" said, it is a very competitive league. From what I have seen in my four years around the league, they have the best coaches around. My son is not old enough to worry about the All-Star teams yet (and not good enough either), but it bothers me when I see grown adults like some of the other posters saying that a kids' team "sucks". Perhaps their kids, who their parents must think are little Ted Williams, display the same poor attitude and sportsmanship....and that is why they were not selected to SLYB's All-Star Teams. Lastly, SLYB teams won both the Major and Rookie City Tournaments...not to shabby for teams that suck!
MAN IS YOUR INFORMATION WRONG....AND IF THE COACHING WAS SOOOOO GOOD AFTER THREE YEARS YOUR KID WOULD MKE THE ALL-STAR TEAM. I AM ASSUMING YOUR JUST A HO-HUM PARENT AND JUST PUTTING YOUR KID IN THE LEAGUE FOR SOMETHING TO DO. AND THE FACT THAT "AS YOU STATED" YOU KID ISNT THAT GOOD JUST MEANS YOU DONT KNOW WHAT REALLY GOES ON. MY BE NICE WALKING THROUGH LIFE WITH BLINDER ON.
LMAO

Lexington, KY

#17 Jul 16, 2010
SLYB.....LOL...MY SON PLAYED THERE THIS PST SEASON.....AND MOST OF YOU ARE RIGHT IF YOU AINT SUCK'N SOMEONE THEN YOUR NOBODY....JASON IS A HORRIABLE UMP NO FAIR CALLS UNLESS IT SOMEONE HE SUCKS........I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE NOW ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOU SUCK.....THEN YOU WILL LOVE THAT PLACE AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU!!!!
get real

United States

#18 Jul 16, 2010
the league might have some politics involved, but everything in life does. Look at Terrel Owens great football player nobody wants him, because he is illrational. Parents if you want you kids to have the best shot. Do not act like Terrel Owens calm your emotions. And if you have a problem get the coach to the side and communicate like adults.
SLYB is all politics

Lexington, KY

#19 Jul 16, 2010
get real wrote:
the league might have some politics involved, but everything in life does. Look at Terrel Owens great football player nobody wants him, because he is illrational. Parents if you want you kids to have the best shot. Do not act like Terrel Owens calm your emotions. And if you have a problem get the coach to the side and communicate like adults.
It's probably true that most things in life are political- but that doesn't make it right! And youth baseball is especially not the place for it! Some of those kids are only 4 years old! How do you explain to a 4 year old about politics? "I'm sorry honey- the league sat you on the bench and wouldn't let you play because I couldn't pay the $20.00 concession buyout" or "I'm sorry - the coach moved you to the end of the line up even though you are the best hitter out here because I had an opinion about something". If the parents do something- or don't do something- if they act in a way that SLYB doesn't like - the KIDS are punished! I DID NOT want to have to explain to my child about life and how the world is a cruel place at such a young age but this league forced me to- because he thought he had done something wrong! Adults that are cruel to children because they don't like their parents - that's what SLYB is all about! But if your parents act how/do whatever SLYB says then your kid will be fine - whether they can play baseball or not!
get real

United States

#20 Jul 16, 2010
I have coach youths in different areas of the country and alot of different leagues. This story is the case in every league. The politics I mentioned are for the PARENTS and not the kids. All the coaches do this for free and the way the parents act, treat other kids is a factor, lets not be blind to that. We as coaches hate the politics, but if there a parent that can't control there emotions, is way to tuff on there kids. Then there kids is unfairly past over. I feel sorry for the kids. Why don't we as parents look at ourselves and see if there are things we can do differntly to make it a more positive experince for all. I have older kids. I have been there. Way to serious and hard on my kids. I felt same way until I looked in the mirrow. I enjoy my kids sports so much more now. And about the $. I don't have alot. Never been able to give sponsorship $, and always been treated great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 7 min Hmmmmmmm 5,185
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min No Surprize 153,737
The Truth about Mitch McConnel 15 min Guest 8
every girl 37 min pow 5
Michelle Buford (Feb '11) 1 hr just a matter of ... 58
Review: Chandler James A DMD (Jun '12) 2 hr More please 3
Lex 18 opinions 2 hr Been There Too 24
Pete Hise & Sharon Clements: How Long? Thu Former quester 15
Quest church (Aug '09) Thu Ex-Quester 2,910
Quest community church (Dec '09) Thu Ex-Quester 361
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) Thu hornyukguy622 5,622
•••
Lexington Dating

more search filters