Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lexington

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2012
Does anyone know if she can actually face the death penalty for this if proven guilty? I did a little research and it looks like the worst age can get is life in prison
UKGrad

Lexington, KY

#2 Oct 18, 2012
Depends on what she is charged with... there are different degrees of murder/manslaughter. Depends on if jury finds it was in self defense or premeditated. She can be convicted on a lower manslaughter charged and serve 15-25 years or 1st degree murder for 25 to life. Time will tell...we are only in the shallow end of this trial and it WILL go on for good year or more before anything happens.
anon

Frankfort, KY

#3 Oct 19, 2012
She was scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 this morning. Anyone heard anything? I'm hoping the news websites will update.
Lexingtonian

United States

#4 Oct 19, 2012
anon wrote:
She was scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 this morning. Anyone heard anything? I'm hoping the news websites will update.
No news report yet, they said they are rescheduling for early this afternoon. The judge is apparently going to give a press report explaining her reasoning behind the bail drop from $2 mil to $1 mil and then up to $5 mil
Lexingtonian

United States

#5 Oct 19, 2012
I would speculate the reasoning of the increase in bail is bc of her age and the lack of the publics knowledge over the crime. I'm betting the judge simply wants to protect her from herself or from harm from others.. If I were shayna I think I wouldn't want to make bail, at least until some more info pertaining to the possibility of self defense arises. Anyways, We will see what the judge says her reasoning is today
Anonymous

United States

#6 Oct 19, 2012
I think this is going to make national news at this rate
Lexingtonian

United States

#7 Oct 19, 2012
Shayna Hubers, 21, had a bond hearing in Campbell County Court Friday morning. A full bond hearing is set for Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.
well

Lexington, KY

#8 Oct 19, 2012
I'm going to speculate that the increase in bail is because of evidence review. She's 21, so her age wouldn't figure into anything, and the Court isn't concerned with what the public does or does not know.
TUV

United States

#9 Oct 19, 2012
I have very limited knowledge of the court system but i have, as many of you seen things like this on the news before. With that said I do not see her serving life or a being sentenced to death. My guess is a first degree murder charge and her serving 20-25 years. Knowing shayna personally I don't see her holding up too well in prison tho, not that any one holds up well though.
ANON

Detroit, MI

#10 Oct 19, 2012
http://wcpo.m0bl.net/w/local/story/76023527/

Hubers appeared in front of Judge Karen Thomas and Hubers' attorney, Wil Zeverly, asked to have her bond amount lowered from $5 million on the argument that the bond amount was too high and Hubers' family couldn't afford it. Judge Thomas denied the request, calling Hubers a danger to the community.

Hubers' bond amount was increased to $5 million early Wednesday morning -- a move that came after a visiting judge lowered her bond from $2 million to $1 million during a court hearing Tuesday. The judge who reduced the bond was visiting judge David Hayse from Lexington, Ky.

Zeverly also requested that Hubers be put on home electronic monitoring instead of being held in jail, but was also denied by Judge Thomas, citing that Hubers could be a flight risk, or a risk to run from the area.
anon

Frankfort, KY

#11 Oct 19, 2012
Lexingtonian wrote:
<quoted text>
No news report yet, they said they are rescheduling for early this afternoon. The judge is apparently going to give a press report explaining her reasoning behind the bail drop from $2 mil to $1 mil and then up to $5 mil
I read that a visiting judge dropped her bond from two to one million cash and that the original judge returned and was furious so he upped it to 5 mil. Not sure that was just one story circulating as an explanation for the increase.
anon

Frankfort, KY

#12 Oct 19, 2012
ANON wrote:
http://wcpo.m0bl.net/w/local/s tory/76023527/
Hubers appeared in front of Judge Karen Thomas and Hubers' attorney, Wil Zeverly, asked to have her bond amount lowered from $5 million on the argument that the bond amount was too high and Hubers' family couldn't afford it. Judge Thomas denied the request, calling Hubers a danger to the community.
Hubers' bond amount was increased to $5 million early Wednesday morning -- a move that came after a visiting judge lowered her bond from $2 million to $1 million during a court hearing Tuesday. The judge who reduced the bond was visiting judge David Hayse from Lexington, Ky.
Zeverly also requested that Hubers be put on home electronic monitoring instead of being held in jail, but was also denied by Judge Thomas, citing that Hubers could be a flight risk, or a risk to run from the area.
Thanks. Sorry, I responded below before reading this explanation.
Yeah

United States

#13 Oct 19, 2012
She's certainly a flight risk and I'm sure there is a factor of protecting the accused in such a wild case.
JuJu

Sioux Falls, SD

#15 Oct 19, 2012
Judge Thomas not only deemed her a flight risk, but also a danger to the community.
Upset

Chicago, IL

#16 Oct 19, 2012
Here is what I think will come out. Once again we won't know until trial. Apparently shayna was waiting at Ryan's condo bc she still had a key. Not only did she shoot him in the face but to put him 'out of his misery' she shot him again to end his life. Not only did she wait 15 Mins to call police but she allegedly was wearing his blood soaked clothes with his handgun in her hands while the police came in singing a lullabye! Why doesn't she plead insanity??
Interested

United States

#17 Oct 20, 2012
Upset wrote:
Here is what I think will come out. Once again we won't know until trial. Apparently shayna was waiting at Ryan's condo bc she still had a key. Not only did she shoot him in the face but to put him 'out of his misery' she shot him again to end his life. Not only did she wait 15 Mins to call police but she allegedly was wearing his blood soaked clothes with his handgun in her hands while the police came in singing a lullabye! Why doesn't she plead insanity??
Where did you hear about her wearing his clothes and singing a lullabye when the police arrived?
Abc

Newark, OH

#18 Oct 20, 2012
Anyone hear what came out at the 3:30 hearing yesterday?
Sad

Chicago, IL

#19 Oct 20, 2012
Abc wrote:

Has it been released yet?
ANON

Detroit, MI

#20 Oct 20, 2012
The meeting was canceled after a bond agreement was reached.
insider

Newport, KY

#21 Oct 20, 2012
Abc wrote:
The full bond hearing was called off. There was an agreed entry approved by Judge Thomas in lieu of the hearing. This agreed entry kept the bond at $5mill CASH; neither 10% down nor property is allowed. If her parents can somehow meet bond, she will be released subject to a ton of stipulations (GPS tracker, etc, etc). The entry is sealed so I don't know the specific stipulations outside of GPS, but from what I was told they are very stringent.

For what it's worth I am only 23, so whomever gave title to this forum can suck it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 6 min well 1,584
Kentucky Football 13 min yup 1
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 35 min Tollesboro Guy 81,601
Barbershop! 52 min try a new place 10
Quest Community Church is Evil (Nov '10) 1 hr Lol 552
Bicurious/Bisexual women (Jul '11) 2 hr Anonymous 127
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Cornelius Scudmister 151,291
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 7 hr matt95 5,567
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Fayette County was issued at August 30 at 8:22PM EDT

•••
•••
•••

Lexington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lexington People Search