Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
1 - 20 of 129,039 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
First Prev
of 6452
Next Last
concerned

Burkesville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
religious literacy

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

this could be a good thing for the state of Kentucky - there needs to be some structure around how people teach religion in our schools.
kellerman

Howard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
ky girl

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

this would be a good thing.when i went to school we had a lady come once a week, she didnt teach religion, she told bible stories,it was a good break,she told the stories with pictures, also the first thing in the morning, we sang songs said the pledge for about 15 minutes.it set the tone for the day,as a child grows into adult hood,they will adopt their own beliefs,this is a stepping stone. they will believe in something, why not let them start with the goods things, if they dont hear good things when they are small, they wont know they have a choice.as i got older and heard different things,i choose what was to me the best,our children need a good positive in their lives.for some it will be the only time they will hear the name god, jesus, lord.at least they will have a choice.
Gregg

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

What's the legislature doing this for? They are $1 billion + short on the budget.
wow

Chesapeake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

well the worlds going to hell so do you really think it would be that bad of an idea..... this is KY..... if we lived in a more diverse place I could see your point..... Just like saying the pledge they should have the choice to say no but at least offer it to those who want it. I seriously doubt there are more opposed to this than those to encourage it. Oh and while there at it.... bring prayer back and the all mighty paddle. Kick these kids asses and teach them the right things and maybe society as a whole would benefit.
Sue

Flatwoods, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Our school was founded on beliefs of the bible. Schools began in churches. How could it be wrong to teach morals? To me, it's unconstitutional to not teach what our founding fathers believed so much in.
ky girl

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

this is not a goverment funded thing.also not state funded,.
Believer

Greensburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

There might not be so many killings in the schools if the Bible was taught. Kids are hurting so they try to find an outlet for their pain.
Awesome

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

What a waste of time, this will never fly. 1. Beshear would rightfully vetoe it. 2. It blatantly violates the establishment doctrine. We got a budget crisis and our reps are spending the salary that we pay them on legislation that a middle schooler knows is unconstitutional. Great.
I like it

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

If they put a stop to this I think they should put a stop to "CHRISTMAS" break also.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

I believe teaching Bible in schools would give a child a more rounded education. Not only would it give them a better understanding of references made to the Bible by authors of other works of literature which are required reading; but it would also give them a deeper insight into our history, culture and current events in the world.
NAH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

PeaceSpeaker wrote:
I believe teaching Bible in schools would give a child a more rounded education. Not only would it give them a better understanding of references made to the Bible by authors of other works of literature which are required reading; but it would also give them a deeper insight into our history, culture and current events in the world.
I do not want my tax dollars propagating religion, I say this as a God fearing person. Christianity today, the koran tomorrow, no thanks. Let good parents do their job it will give their children an advantage like no other.
Lolhaiti

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

PeaceSpeaker wrote:
Okay, okay, I agree with this. Teach, but not preach.
what

Rouseville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

This would be in direct conflict to the 1st Amendment to the Constitution - Separation of Church and State - and everyone's right to their own religious belief (or non-belief).

“Man on Rider Births Mini Self”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

As far as giving the kids something good to learn, how about science? It is the only belief system we have that even strives for truth, and that is also a good moral lesson, to expect and strive for truth, no matter the consequences. I am not against teaching religion in schools, but only if it is framed in a philosophical or sociological way, like a world religions course.
biggreenbud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

noway not in public schools,thats a bunch of bullcrap
Yeah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

I like it wrote:
If they put a stop to this I think they should put a stop to "CHRISTMAS" break also.
They did, it is now called "Winter Break." They also have fall, spring, and summer break.
just my opinion

Baxter, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Isn't there a way that it could be taught and the parents have a choice as to whether their child did or did not attend that specific class? I myself think it is a good idea, but I can't speak for everyone. There is so much going on in our schools nowadays, maybe for some this will help. It's scary how things have become. When I attended high school, there was a class there, but it was our choice as to whether or not to attend. This is just my opinion.
Mohandas Ghandi

Port Deposit, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Which bible? There are several hundred different religions and interpretations of those religions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6452
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Letcher Discussions

Search the Letcher Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min wtf 147,244
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 39 min Gfm 81,565
Condoms 1 hr Super Stud 7
Trina mcclain 3 hr daisey doodle 43
j.b 4 hr Dry fork 1
Rachel Frazier 9 hr she a ho 9
James Ramey 10 hr rut roll raggie 7
•••
•••
•••
Letcher Dating

more search filters

less search filters