Just Curious

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or saw what appears to be a black panther in Marion Co, or even in the state of Kentucky. My husband was driving the other night and as he was turning from one road on to another, I saw a large black mass out of the corner of my eye. Once we turned the mass had went into the ditch.... I was yelling at my husband "what is that" and "do you see that" And I am 100% sure that I saw a VERY large black cat (not a house cat size at all!) it had a tail like a cat, walked like a cat, and had eyes that glowed green. I told my husband that I thought I saw a "jaguar" which he laughed and said that they aren't even in the United States and he suggested that maybe it was a panther. Which I have never heard of panthers being in Kentucky either.... I googled panther sightings in Kentucky and didn't come up with much. But anyways I know that I saw an EXTREMLEY large solid black cat that was probably the size of a large dog..... Just wondering if anyone else has saw this. Can wild cats be black????
meee

New Haven, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Just Curious wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or saw what appears to be a black panther in Marion Co, or even in the state of Kentucky. My husband was driving the other night and as he was turning from one road on to another, I saw a large black mass out of the corner of my eye. Once we turned the mass had went into the ditch.... I was yelling at my husband "what is that" and "do you see that" And I am 100% sure that I saw a VERY large black cat (not a house cat size at all!) it had a tail like a cat, walked like a cat, and had eyes that glowed green. I told my husband that I thought I saw a "jaguar" which he laughed and said that they aren't even in the United States and he suggested that maybe it was a panther. Which I have never heard of panthers being in Kentucky either.... I googled panther sightings in Kentucky and didn't come up with much. But anyways I know that I saw an EXTREMLEY large solid black cat that was probably the size of a large dog..... Just wondering if anyone else has saw this. Can wild cats be black????
where at?
James

Latonia, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Just Curious wrote:
That's awesome. Where?
felicia carney

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

A friend of mine had a picture posted on her phone from a facebook post. The picture was taken on a servalence camera in juction, at first I though it was a mountain lion. However when I was telling a friend that it was dragging an 8-10 point buck in it's mouth he said it was probably a cougar because of the size either way I believe I would probably shit myself.
genforrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Just Curious wrote:
no, but panthers definitely are. And don't let anyone try and tell you a panther could not be in this area. People collecting exotic animals sometimes lose one or more and do not report it. They travel, also. I was told and laughed at that mountain lions don't exist in Kentucky. That's bull. When I lived in Green County9 years ago, my next door neighbor and I both saw it. Afternoon, about. 30 yards from us, walking across a field where the crop had already been harvested. We had heard it roar a few times days before we got a good look at it. I said it was a mt. lion and a few laughed at me about it. Well, my neighbor and I stood and watched it walk across the field as if it had been around there forever.Dogs woukd bark and cry at night, and cattle would be restless. But nobody thought about a big cat.
a former resident

White House, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

I know a couple of people that claims to have seen black panthers around Salleetown road, out towards Taylor county. I also know quite a few people that have claimed to have seen them around Crab Orchard KY.
genforrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Just Curious wrote:
sorry that I duplicated my response..I'm having problems with a signal on my android.

Since: Aug 12

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Coyotes have regained dwelling in Kentucky, so have Black Bear and yes, I feel certain that so have Cougars. There is a wide color range in cougars so it would easily be confusing to see a dark colored one and think it was a panther. About 5 years ago, I sat and watched a black bear mozie down the creek across from my house down on Loretto Rd and no one believed me untill it was sighted about 20 miles away MOVING so yep the animals are on the comeback.
I cant believe the amount of the HUGE redtailed Hawks anymore!
connie

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

I have seen a mountain lion with my own 2 eyes. In the woods behind my house on the Taylor/Marion county line. Scariest moment of my life being alone in the woods with that thing. I felt like he was hunting me down when I was trying to get the ::ll out of there. I have also saw pictures of a black panther that use to cross in a field across from a friends house down near shit creek area. That was def. a black panther. He had a real good pic of it. I wish I knew where that pic was now but my friend is dead and gone.
jesco

New Haven, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

got 2 bears and what looks like to be a black panther on my trail camera in bradfordsville, scares the shit out of me
Mortgage Mom

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Most large black cats are bred, not wild born. The few natural wild black cats live south of the equator. If a black panther is indeed living in Marion County, KY, it is most likely an escaped exotic pet. Stranger things have happened, there used to be lions kept in Raywick. It's great that big cats are returning to Kentucky's forests!
genforrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Mortgage Mom wrote:
Most large black cats are bred, not wild born. The few natural wild black cats live south of the equator. If a black panther is indeed living in Marion County, KY, it is most likely an escaped exotic pet. Stranger things have happened, there used to be lions kept in Raywick. It's great that big cats are returning to Kentucky's forests!
that is not so good. Hunters and those in the woods looking for mushrooms could end up being killed. Kids often go hunting,too. And if those big cats can't get deer, they will kill cattle and.other things. They stalk their prey..mountain lions, too..and are known to stalk humans and kill them.
felicia carney

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Ok so I looked on yahoo and it said even though it was most likely a black cougar or a puma it wasn't impossible. So it could be a couple of different animals all of them very large even the puma being the smallest is as big as a large dog. So be aware of your surroundings especially of your children being outside by themselves, because you don't nessesarily have to live close the woods to see one. Hence the servalence video I saw was from a business and was in an area where people often are.
genforrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

felicia carney wrote:
Ok so I looked on yahoo and it said even though it was most likely a black cougar or a puma it wasn't impossible. So it could be a couple of different animals all of them very large even the puma being the smallest is as big as a large dog. So be aware of your surroundings especially of your children being outside by themselves, because you don't nessesarily have to live close the woods to see one. Hence the servalence video I saw was from a business and was in an area where people often are.
you are correct. Big cats will go for a child quickly because it is less of a perceived threat. They STILL attack adults though. Be on you before you can react. Most big cat attacks on humans are fatal, so do not let your child play or roam outside without an adult being very close. And I hate to put it like this, but being armed and a good shot might be the difference between life and death. These cats are aggressive and do not fear humans. Better to be aware and prepared than become a statistic.
genforrest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

connie wrote:
I have seen a mountain lion with my own 2 eyes. In the woods behind my house on the Taylor/Marion county line. Scariest moment of my life being alone in the woods with that thing. I felt like he was hunting me down when I was trying to get the ::ll out of there. I have also saw pictures of a black panther that use to cross in a field across from a friends house down near shit creek area. That was def. a black panther. He had a real good pic of it. I wish I knew where that pic was now but my friend is dead and gone.
You are right to be scared. Big cats hunt people..if game is scarce, the animal is sick or injured, they will hunt humans. THEY ARE STEALTHY, AGGRESSIVE, AND ARE NOT AFRAID. Once they commit to the attack, they will not back down.You are very lucky to have made it out of the woods.
Buckwheat Zydeco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Yes I have seen several. They usually wear Black berets, carry Billy clubs and try to intimidate people who wont vote for Hussein Obama
cville

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Just Curious wrote:
Yes I have seen both a couger and a black panther. If you see either you wil know what what it is. They don't look like anything else other than what they are, I saw them seversl years apart. There have been others that have seen them in this area also.
felicia carney

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Buckwheat Zydeco wrote:
Yes I have seen several. They usually wear Black berets, carry Billy clubs and try to intimidate people who wont vote for Hussein Obama
Dude we're referring to large wild cats not the black panther party
Just Curious

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks everyone..... lol..... I felt really stupid even repeating what I saw! I was expecting everyone on here to tell me how crazy I was. I am glad that everyone confirms what I saw.... however it scares me too because it was near my moms house. She keeps my kids a lot and I am scared to let them play outside now.( That cat, cougar, or whatever it was, was HUGE!) Oh, for everyone that was asking.... it was out on HWY 289..... kinda between that trailor park and Cut Rate!
Wildlife Expert

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

There are NO black panthers anywhere in the world. Black Panther is commonly used to describe a Large cat with a melanistic color variant. They are mostly Leopards but can be Tigers and Jaguars. And we all know that NONE of these exist in ky. It is a possibility that they have been released by someone who illegally owned one, or escaped from a zoo, however NONE of these large cats have been seen in KY with normal colors as well.
Melanism is very rare and even when occurring in Leopards the color is not a solid black, and the Leopard spots can still be seen.
Now Kentucky is known to have Mountain Lions and while there are NO authenticated cases of Melanism happening to Mountain lions or Cougars, there is I guess a possibility. But again. No one has ever authenticated this to happen.
More than likely with most creatures this was a case of mistaken identity. It could have been a Black Coyote. Even though they don't look like cats, its possible if seen just for a few seconds that it could have been misidentified.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Lebanon Forum right now

Search the Lebanon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min DITCH MITCH 147,076
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 25 min yxv 1,020
Wilberts 59 min justcuzican 30
Carolyn Lewis-Castillo (Oct '13) 1 hr family 7
Lebanon Landlords or Slumlords 3 hr Outsider 9
why is MCDONALDS so slow (May '13) 3 hr The Rose 108
McDonalds drive thru too fast 3 hr Miss Rhoda 14
•••
•••
•••
Lebanon Dating

more search filters

less search filters