Judge approves settlement over Indian royalties

Full story: Alamogordo Daily News

A federal judge on Monday approved a $3.4 billion settlement over mismanaged Indian royalties in a case that represents the largest settlement ever approved against the U.S. government.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated May 2, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kat

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

thank you so much from mescalero apaches for your fight
kat

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

thanks for your fight
kat

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

thanks elouise
mescalapache

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

this is a small victory compared to many years of mistreatment from the government. I can only wish this opens the eyes of the government to look into more of the problems among other tribe from the east coast to the west coast, being confined to reservations is no more different than confining livestock to corrals! i commend the victors in this case, 1 battle won, but not the war as they say.
Gramma

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

No surprise that the US Government has squandered a lot....Congrats to you!
end

Cloudcroft, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

2

mescalapache wrote:
this is a small victory compared to many years of mistreatment from the government. I can only wish this opens the eyes of the government to look into more of the problems among other tribe from the east coast to the west coast, being confined to reservations is no more different than confining livestock to corrals! i commend the victors in this case, 1 battle won, but not the war as they say.
end the reservations. send them to work for a living and be citizens.

enough welfare, ban the reservations.
denis Palmer

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 21, 2011
 
another case,,,
our tax money to pay for some one else's errors,,,
just what we need more Government...
Proud AMERICAN

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

mescalapache wrote:
this is a small victory compared to many years of mistreatment from the government. I can only wish this opens the eyes of the government to look into more of the problems among other tribe from the east coast to the west coast, being confined to reservations is no more different than confining livestock to corrals! i commend the victors in this case, 1 battle won, but not the war as they say.
If this is "small", what exactly would you consider fair. The last I checked, "Native Americans" are free to go wherever they want and do whatever they please on or off the reservation. I don't think corraled livestock can do that. Its this type of ridiculous exaggeration that wins you no sympathy. I see many "Natives" on your corral driving $55,000 dollar pickup trucks and none of them are exactly what anyone would call starving for food from the trough. Just think of what it would be like if you had to pay taxes like every other working stiff that pitched in for this settlement. Someone had (has) to work for that money you are getting for doing nothing but bitch and moan about how bad you have it. Its worse than welfare--get a job.
otero

Wilmington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

3

1

these native Americans are a proud people and their culture means a great deal to them. with this settlement they can spend a lot of time at the tribal lounge reliving their culture. they have the world at their door and are to reliant on hand outs to realize it. generation after generation they don't seem to care to catch up to the rest of the world.children with great promise grow up to be drunks because that is the example they live by. this settlement will trickle down to the surrounding communities mostly through liquor establishments. guess we will be taking advantage of them again.
Mr White

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 23, 2011
 
otero wrote:
these native Americans are a proud people and their culture means a great deal to them. with this settlement they can spend a lot of time at the tribal lounge reliving their culture. they have the world at their door and are to reliant on hand outs to realize it. generation after generation they don't seem to care to catch up to the rest of the world.children with great promise grow up to be drunks because that is the example they live by. this settlement will trickle down to the surrounding communities mostly through liquor establishments. guess we will be taking advantage of them again.
Agreed!!
Samuel Poe

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Once a coward always a coward. Your white descendants will prove it. Native Americans are allowing themselves to be bought during a time when the whites are waging a cowardly war against Native Americans and all other non whites in the America's. Google or youtube "chemtrails conspiracy" to learn about the cowardly actions of a cowardly race of stinking apes. Native Americans must not fall for the money plot intended to lure them into thinking all is fine. All is not fine. Not when we have to deal with a stinking race of cowardly apes and their stinking cowardly descendants.
Mr White wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, I say we keep paying our tax dollars to keep those stinking drunken trouble causing drum thumpers on their inbred grease stained land. Dont let those savages out of their cages. And why have these indian kids embraced the hip-hop thug life culture? It looks embarrasing to see a long haired indian in a honda trying to rap in a yankee hat.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 1, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

Native Americans have been ceding their rights and land since 1638, when the "Pilgrims" founded the first Indian Reservation in Connecticut. During the centuries that followed, Native tribes faced forced expulsion, forced conversion and forced assimilation into European culture, while the federal government bought their homelands or obtained oversight rights to the same.

In Montana appeals are being planned in a $3.4 billion settlement with the federal government over mismanaged Native American land royalties - this fight has been going on for 15 years!“This is the largest settlement involving the government in American history and it resolves egregious breaches of trust that have continued for more than a century,” lead plaintiffs' attorney Dennis Gingold wrote in an August filing with the court. The settlement is too important to give somebody a “free pass at delaying justice.” U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan of Washington, D.C.

Breach of Trust! The US government has been "screwing" the indigenous people of this Nation for too long now.

Perhaps some of you should think about taking a walk in their shoes. Perhaps read up on their plight - residential schools - the horrors - before you judge.

Many of you are ignorant to anything other than hate and racism. Take the time to learn about what has happened since the 1600's!
Samuel Poe

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Do not allow yourselves to be bought by the white cowards! Again you must google or youtube "chemtrails conspiracy" to learn what they are doing. If you do not take action to defend yourselves from the cowardly war the cowardly whites are waging, you will be exterminated! Do not fall for the money plot! Prepare for survival if you want to live to see the future!
Jean Rankin wrote:
Native Americans have been ceding their rights and land since 1638, when the "Pilgrims" founded the first Indian Reservation in Connecticut. During the centuries that followed, Native tribes faced forced expulsion, forced conversion and forced assimilation into European culture, while the federal government bought their homelands or obtained oversight rights to the same.
In Montana appeals are being planned in a $3.4 billion settlement with the federal government over mismanaged Native American land royalties - this fight has been going on for 15 years! &#8220;This is the largest settlement involving the government in American history and it resolves egregious breaches of trust that have continued for more than a century,&#8221; lead plaintiffs' attorney Dennis Gingold wrote in an August filing with the court. The settlement is too important to give somebody a &#8220;free pass at delaying justice.&#8221; U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan of Washington, D.C.
Breach of Trust! The US government has been "screwing" the indigenous people of this Nation for too long now.
Perhaps some of you should think about taking a walk in their shoes. Perhaps read up on their plight - residential schools - the horrors - before you judge.
Many of you are ignorant to anything other than hate and racism. Take the time to learn about what has happened since the 1600's!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 2, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Why have generations after generations of Indians failed to improve their life's, accomplish anything other than cashing the monthly government check they receive.

Why is the Inn of the Gods Casino so run down outside, there is not even a sidelwalk or paved path around the lake, and the trash can by the lake have been overflowing when i have stopped there.

Are Indians the oldest group that have fallen for the Government promise of a better life and sucking on the nipple of hand outs, just like the Blacks and Hispanics illegally in this nation.

All for a vote generation after generation.
White Trash Can

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 2, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Land Locked Sailor wrote:
Why have generations after generations of Indians failed to improve their life's, accomplish anything other than cashing the monthly government check they receive.
Why is the Inn of the Gods Casino so run down outside, there is not even a sidelwalk or paved path around the lake, and the trash can by the lake have been overflowing when i have stopped there.
Are Indians the oldest group that have fallen for the Government promise of a better life and sucking on the nipple of hand outs, just like the Blacks and Hispanics illegally in this nation.
All for a vote generation after generation.
Did you know the IMG is wholly managed by Warner Gaming of Las Vegas, NV? Whiter folks you will not find.

While we are at it, how is it you failed so miserably in life that you are of no value to anyone and have all the time in the world to post ignorant rant after ignorant rant throughout the day?
Samuel Poe

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 2, 2012
 
Drop the god of the sea, godzilla, and sailor nonsense and grow up and become a brave. To resort to blaming Indians for their plight is another act of cowardliness on the part of you whites. Stop the god dam excuses. Exterminating an innocent people the cowards way is an act you do not want to get involved in. That is, however, if you admit yor are a coward. Stop intruding. Indians don't need your attitude of selfishness.
Land Locked Sailor wrote:
Why have generations after generations of Indians failed to improve their life's, accomplish anything other than cashing the monthly government check they receive.
Why is the Inn of the Gods Casino so run down outside, there is not even a sidelwalk or paved path around the lake, and the trash can by the lake have been overflowing when i have stopped there.
Are Indians the oldest group that have fallen for the Government promise of a better life and sucking on the nipple of hand outs, just like the Blacks and Hispanics illegally in this nation.
All for a vote generation after generation.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 3, 2012
 
Samuel Poe wrote:
Drop the god of the sea, godzilla, and sailor nonsense and grow up and become a brave. To resort to blaming Indians for their plight is another act of cowardliness on the part of you whites. Stop the god dam excuses. Exterminating an innocent people the cowards way is an act you do not want to get involved in. That is, however, if you admit yor are a coward. Stop intruding. Indians don't need your attitude of selfishness. <quoted text>
All they want is that monthly government handout, and drugs and alcohol, Just look at the high rate of addiction on the reservations, and who do the indians blame Uncle Sam, yet they have had ample time to improve their life, and they do not...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 3, 2012
 
White Trash Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know the IMG is wholly managed by Warner Gaming of Las Vegas, NV? Whiter folks you will not find.
While we are at it, how is it you failed so miserably in life that you are of no value to anyone and have all the time in the world to post ignorant rant after ignorant rant throughout the day?
Manages does not yake away from the owners responsibility.

Your failure are no where i know, my life is great, and pensions that you are paying for make life even better for me.

I see that you are posting rants too, calling the kettle black too...
Your Local Liberal

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 3, 2012
 
What envy, what anger, what frustration, what hatefulness you direct to your neighbors who have managed to live their lives in their own community, in their own tradition, the way they want to, in spite of our interference in their lives. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Samuel Poe

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 3, 2012
 
Smart Indians no better than to blame Sam. They know the white cowards are to blame. As for you and your bit of rage over selfishness, go back to the land where your cowardly race was conspired. Stop intruding!
Land Locked Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
All they want is that monthly government handout, and drugs and alcohol, Just look at the high rate of addiction on the reservations, and who do the indians blame Uncle Sam, yet they have had ample time to improve their life, and they do not...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Las Cruces Forum right now

Search the Las Cruces Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BREAKING: Motorcycle officer injured in morning... (Apr '08) 2 hr Retired Fire Chief 9
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr SamBee 68,428
Review: Cisneros Locksmith 19 hr Yolanda Talamantes 1
Shake shops becoming cool spots to hang out (May '11) 22 hr moron 81
County has given hundreds of gay marriage licenses Sun Belle Sexton 3
affrique (May '12) Jul 25 Sailboat1107 210
Randy Mattingly and Olga Back Jul 24 Family 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Las Cruces Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Las Cruces People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Las Cruces News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Las Cruces
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••