DHL will cut 9,500 jobs and discontinue domestic service

Full story: Newsday 70
On the same day shipping provider DHL announced it will slash 9,500 jobs and discontinue its U.S.-based air and ground services, driver Pat Beiger - who turns 60 in January - learned that one of those jobs is ... Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HK Craig

Central District, Hong Kong

#2 Nov 10, 2008
NO_Bama wrote:
Amazing how liberal, left-wing, communist newsday allows comments on this nonsense.....but not on the ILLEGAL getting murdered in Patchogue!!!!!!!! racist rag!!!!!!!
Nonsense? Were talking about over 9500 jobs here. I bet you wouldn't think it was nonsense if one of those jobs was yours!
letter carriers wife

Lady Lake, FL

#3 Nov 10, 2008
Obviously the US Postal Service comes through again....and their employees don't make $24.85 per hour. You can still get a letter delivered to Bumblepuff, USA for .42 cents a letter.
Long Island NY

Albertson, NY

#4 Nov 10, 2008
UNIONS are KILLING this Country.
FEDupEX

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Nov 11, 2008
Have no fear.....OBAMA CLAUS will save the day.
UPSet

Montvale, NJ

#6 Nov 11, 2008
This is a shame but this is an example of 'trickle up' economy.The average homeowner isn't spending so the delivery companies have nothing to deliver.Problem is when there's only two delivery services remaining the word monopoly comes into play.
Just wondering

Fort Lee, NJ

#7 Nov 11, 2008
Where's Dasburg these days?
wolf

Bronx, NY

#8 Nov 11, 2008
letter carriers wife wrote:
Obviously the US Postal Service comes through again....and their employees don't make $24.85 per hour. You can still get a letter delivered to Bumblepuff, USA for .42 cents a letter.
I am a retired letter carrier and what the Postal Service is doing isn't that great either. They are making huge cutbacks and letting people go also. My local PO just sent 5 window clerks to different offices. Now there are 2 clerks at the window and the waiting time is ridiculous. sad to see.
Jay

New York, NY

#10 Nov 11, 2008
NO_Bama wrote:
Amazing how liberal, left-wing, communist newsday allows comments on this nonsense.....but not on the ILLEGAL getting murdered in Patchogue!!!!!!!! racist rag!!!!!!!
does it matter if the victim is illegal or not? they don't allow comments on those issues due to racists such as yourself.
EugeneVDebbs

AOL

#11 Nov 11, 2008
Unbridled capitalist greed and mindless, robotic consumption are killing this country.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Nov 11, 2008
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>does it matter if the victim is illegal or not? they don't allow comments on those issues due to racists such as yourself.
It actually does, since the people who committed the crime may actually have had a vested interest in defending their country from an invader. When the state fails to enforce the law, citizens sometimes must take the matter into their own hands.

“Miss Princess Evaya”

Since: Sep 08

Purgatory

#13 Nov 11, 2008
The less money people spend because they are worried about the economy the less money companies are going to have to survive... thus layoffs and companies going under.

Please just lie to us Newsday and tell us everything is going to be a-ok and let us run out and spend our money, that will be the best economy boost.. ever.. ever ever ever.
UPS Sucks

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Nov 11, 2008
Wait till the layoffs at UPS start.
Estimated 16,000 people.
Bocca della Verita

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Nov 11, 2008
A few things... anyone who thinks murder is justified depending on who the victim is should be ashamed of themselves. This has nothing to do with legal or illegal and should not be turned into a cultural war.

I believe just as strongly as anyone that the flow of illegal immigrants needs to be stopped immediately in order to save American jobs, but this is a heinous act that should not have taken place.

These animals took someone's life thanks to that ignorant type of thinking ingrained in them by this society and should be severely punished... it's one thing to protest against illegal immigration and quite another thing to take someone's life.
thegreatone-99

Bronx, NY

#16 Nov 11, 2008
Teamsters local 295 had no response? No action, and no talk, they are to busy spending members dues on lavish Christmas Parties or buying Escalades with 24 inch rims
Del

Howey In The Hills, FL

#17 Nov 11, 2008
FEDupEX wrote:
...I can envision the illustration now....
Former UPSer

Morrow, GA

#18 Nov 11, 2008
So now you take the old Airborne and DHL out. Just Fedex and Big Brown left..... UPS is in trouble
Whateva

Bronx, NY

#19 Nov 11, 2008
Just waiting for GM to go belly up. US automakers dug their own grave when the customer was no longer the priority and instead the demands of the unions was their number one concern.
UPS Sucks

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Nov 11, 2008
UPS is in a TON of trouble.
Murray

Southold, NY

#21 Nov 11, 2008
FEDupEX wrote:
Now that's funny. Hey,love the name too
PkD

Orlando, FL

#22 Nov 11, 2008
UPSet wrote:
This is a shame but this is an example of 'trickle up' economy.The average homeowner isn't spending so the delivery companies have nothing to deliver.Problem is when there's only two delivery services remaining the word monopoly comes into play.
The real problem here is that it is a badly run company.

A friend is in management at their N. American HQ in Ft. Lauderdale. He told me the N American operations have been losing 100's of millions of $$ per year for years (since well before they moved the HQ from San Francisco). DHL does well in the rest of the world and that has been supporting the US business.

The operations are really messed up -- they lose a significant % of packages. They have a large call center that does nothing but take customer complaints.

I feel bad for my friend, but if you can't run a good company, you shouldn't survive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Ronkonkoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Slime Bags (May '12) 54 min Busted 16
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Rat jeez loaded 119,644
Complaints against CPS, Supervising Judge David... (Dec '09) Thu Scottu 56
Subway (May '14) Thu Taxes Due 3
10,000 packets of heroin seized in Smithtown dr... (Nov '08) Dec 15 Streetrunner 153
Mother loses custody of daughters over 'House o... (Apr '07) Dec 14 Democracy 7
Aunt paroled in 1983 murder of niece, 5, in NY (May '09) Dec 7 Justice for Sherrie 14
Lake Ronkonkoma Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lake Ronkonkoma People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lake Ronkonkoma News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lake Ronkonkoma

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:56 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:56PM
Jets' Ryan on sense of humor: 'I'm not dead yet' - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 3:38 PM
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Washington Redskins: Live Washington Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 3:40 PM
Can the Jets upset the Patriots in Week 16?
Bleacher Report 8:11 PM
Why Pats Are Legitimate Super Bowl Contenders
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
DeSean Jackson Can Earn Ultimate Revenge with Big Week 16 vs. Eagles