First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mmm

Lillington, NC

#1 Apr 11, 2011
Anyone else having speed problems with CenturyLink DSL? I have called tech support/cust service numerous times now over the past months, replaced my wireless router, the modem (Embarq 660 series) and the lines from the wall. I pay for 5.0mg and most of the time am only getting around .30mg - 2.0mg. I had Charter previously (over two years ago) and dumped them since they couldn't deliver either. Curious if anyone else is having these issues and what they did about getting it resolved. I'm at whits end and am feeling a bit postal at this point. Thanks in advance...

Since: Jul 10

KDH

#2 Apr 11, 2011
Yes! It's been slow, and for a while, I was having problems staying connected. A friend of mine also had similar problems and they gave her the "we've been working on the lines" excuse...
Mmm

Lillington, NC

#3 Apr 11, 2011
JustAListener wrote:
Yes! It's been slow, and for a while, I was having problems staying connected. A friend of mine also had similar problems and they gave her the "we've been working on the lines" excuse...
Including all of the other excuses, that is one I got too. I asked if they could send a repair guy, which the answer was yes. But, they were quick to note, if it wasn't their problem, they would be sure to bill me for their time.
Magogo

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#4 Apr 11, 2011
Charter is the best of the two. Best you can do is go to free wifi areas and ween your self off both of the blood suckers.
Mars

Lillington, NC

#5 Apr 11, 2011
Magogo wrote:
Charter is the best of the two. Best you can do is go to free wifi areas and ween your self off both of the blood suckers.
LOL - Bloodsuckers. You nailed it! I guess I'll have to tuck my tail and check out Charter again. Although, that means now I need to break up the deal I have with Dish Network. Darn, now I need to cough up an extra $5/month because I'm breaking up the "bundle"!

Hmmmmm, which monopoly do I choose this time around?

Since: Feb 10

Overland Park, KS

#6 Apr 12, 2011
My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'll be glad to help out anyone here on the message board who is having trouble with their CenturyLink DSL. Just email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with details on the issue and I'll be glad to help out. If you could reference the topix messageboard that would be great too. Thanks.

Joey H
CenturyLink Customer Outreach
Reachout@CenturyLink.com
Mediacom Su_ks

Dubuque, IA

#7 Apr 12, 2011
At least Century link responds, Mediacom will swear it is your problem not theirs. I think I know their troubleshooting guide better than their technicians! When they finally agree maybe something is wrong they say they will send a tech out on Tuesday (which is six days later) only six days later! Their excuse is now we already know what the problem is and it not in your house so there is no need for us to come to your house.On a good day I get 2.01mbps download and .77mbps upload I pay for 12 down and 1. upload. I understand speeds arent guaranteed but I would expect to get somewhere close.
Yuck

Belhaven, NC

#8 Apr 12, 2011
They both suck.
Stewart Fan

Suitland, MD

#9 Apr 12, 2011
I dropped my cable internet provider and switched to Verizon Mifi. $35/month for wireless internet that I can take anywhere, and it services 5 computers.
Scott Wanner

Lillington, NC

#10 Apr 13, 2011
Slow as hell! more then once a week !! On a business account with 3 pcs running! Daytime!
Mmm

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#11 Apr 14, 2011
CenturyLinkJoey wrote:
My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'll be glad to help out anyone here on the message board who is having trouble with their CenturyLink DSL. Just email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with details on the issue and I'll be glad to help out. If you could reference the topix messageboard that would be great too. Thanks.
Joey H
CenturyLink Customer Outreach
Reachout@CenturyLink.com
Okay Joey. How about some advice first before I decide to call CenturyLink and ask for you personally. I have already installed an new Embarq 660 series modem and all of the filters and phone line that came with it. I also replaced my wireless router with a Netgear N600. Can you prove you work for CenturyLink other than an email address? And, how much is this going to cost me?
Wondering

Spring Hope, NC

#12 Apr 29, 2011
Mmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Joey. How about some advice first before I decide to call CenturyLink and ask for you personally. I have already installed an new Embarq 660 series modem and all of the filters and phone line that came with it. I also replaced my wireless router with a Netgear N600. Can you prove you work for CenturyLink other than an email address? And, how much is this going to cost me?
Did Joey help you?? Just wondering?!?

Since: Oct 07

Southern Shores, NC

#13 Apr 30, 2011
For all you CenturyLink DSL customers out there, try putting your DSL modem in Bridge Mode and letting your router make the internet connection.
curritucker

Raleigh, NC

#14 Apr 30, 2011
Get a gateway. This is the modem/router and wireless in one.
Pissed Off

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Aug 9, 2011
I hate CenturyLink my computer has never been the same since the big switch. Trying to run a business has been difficult when I keep losing internet connection. This is bullshit! It would be something if they could just admit there is a problem but they don't they simply say it will cost to have a repair tech come out. I'm going to be changing my IP because these assholes do not care about customers.

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#16 Aug 10, 2011
To all:

I was with Charter for years. Pretty good speed but not a reliable connection. Every few days the internet would disappear; I'd call my neighbors and they'd say "Yah, mines out too".

6 months ago got sick of the huge bill ($55/mth just for internet) and hooked up with a CL bundle. CL DSL and TV with Direct TV (no phone). I cheaped out on the speed so that's my fault. What I'm pleasantly surprised at is the reliability; my CL DSL doesn't drop out like my Charter connection did.
Mmm

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#17 Aug 18, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Joey help you?? Just wondering?!?
Absolutely not. He never responded as far as I know. I ended up dumping CenturyLink for Charter. Glad I did too!!
Mmm

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#18 Aug 18, 2011
Stewart Fan wrote:
I dropped my cable internet provider and switched to Verizon Mifi.$35/month for wireless internet that I can take anywhere, and it services 5 computers.
Great, but does it have a cap on how many MB's you use a month and charge an arm and leg for overage? I actually use my internet, extensively, so that kind of capped service is not for me. If all you do is check email and browse the internet for recipes, you'll be fine though.
nancy

Gig Harbor, WA

#19 Sep 13, 2011
I have truly awful DSL from CenturyLink--and, due to my location, I have been a reluctant customer of CenturyLink through all its name changes. DSL became impossible in the last month. Outlook Express for e-mail is OK, but Internet Express just sits there "waiting for..". This is beyond tiresome and seems to be common out here, yet CenturyLink says thatt all is well. NOT TRUE.

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#20 Sep 14, 2011
Nancy, see my post Aug 10th. I have a similar experience as you, waiting for some web pages to load. Again, I chose a slower speed for cost reasons. If you need a faster connection CL would be happy to up your speed....for a price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kill Devil Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Dare Commissioner Allen Burrus Resign? Tue Avon native 29
Bad experience in Knitting Addiction (Mar '10) Dec 22 vergie sentura 55
Puzzle Shop in Kitty Hawk Dec 21 Kim Jong Un 6
BeWare! of Vineyards of the Scuppernong (Nov '09) Dec 21 haha 11
Nags Head Police Chief charged with assault Dec 20 Kim Jong-un 20
all car fracus (Jan '11) Dec 19 Linda 19
Veterinarian Recommendation Dec 19 Agreed 8
More from around the web

Kill Devil Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE