Tornado kills Canadian motorist in northwest North Dakota

Full story: TwinCities.com

A tornado touched down in northwest North Dakota, tossing a car about a quarter of a mile and killing its 51-year-old Canadian driver.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Aug 13, 2010
zingbopper

Sparta, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

If the weather is that bad, why would you continue to drive in it?
Same kind of mentality as those people who drive out on the lake before the ice is thick enough.
Paul

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

zingbopper wrote:
If the weather is that bad, why would you continue to drive in it?
Same kind of mentality as those people who drive out on the lake before the ice is thick enough.
It was 10:30pm in the middle of nowhere. What exactly would suggest they have done? It's not as if they were driving through St. Peter in the middle of the afternoon during a severe thunderstorm without their radio turned on oblivious to all that was around them. It was just bad luck.
Patrick S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

When your in N.D. and there is a tornado and your stuck out in the country, the only thing to do is try to out drive it until you can find shelter. This was late at night when you really can't see whats going on except for when there is lightning and even then its hard to tell. I have seen many tornadoes in my life and have been stuck out on the freeways and there is nothing to do but either try and drive as far away from as you can, and or watch where its going and try to determine where its heading and head the opposite way if possible. But in N.D. there isn't really any place to hide or run to, or even side roads to take to out run or runaway from a twister.
I feel bad for these two and their family, but they are from Canada which only gets on average about 10 or so twisters a year and mainly out in the open farm fields where no damage is done. So they aren't mentally raised on how to prepare or how to react in a tornado warning.
Rightright

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

A rain wrapped tornado in the dark is almost impossible to see. There was nothing these people could have done to avoid it out in the middle of nowheresville, ND. Short of being aware of severe weather and stopping earlier in the night, not much they could have done. Condolences to the family.
Wizconie

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

Why doesn't Obama just outlaw tornados? i mean he promissed everything else...just thinkin.

Since: Dec 08

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Your odds are never good on a motorcycle versus a tornado. Bushes fault!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kenmare Discussions

Search the Kenmare Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lady at Cenex in Stanley, ND that drives a blac... (Jan '14) Aug 7 stanleygal 3
ND Who do you support for Tax Commissioner in Nort... (Oct '10) Mar '14 pompeium lectus 4
history of flaxton and the people (Jan '07) Mar '14 pompeium lectus 2
Geor ge Zimme rman back on trial (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ty Naveed 1
Housing (Aug '13) Aug '13 Newbie 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in North Dako... (Oct '10) Jul '12 S Deitrich 24
Small towns, big booms (Jun '11) May '12 NUSRI 5
•••

Flood Warning for Ward County was issued at August 19 at 2:44PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Kenmare Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kenmare Jobs

•••