Carriage Company Learns Costly Lesson

Full story: Fox4KC

Horse drawn carriages have been a favorite for tourists and locals on the Plaza for many years.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2010
zeety

Liberty, MO

#1 Jul 25, 2010
gotta love the philosophical attitude of the owner. because of this incident i know exactly who NOT to patronize for carriage rides or recommend to friends when in town.
Well OK

Grain Valley, MO

#2 Jul 25, 2010
Some animal rights crazy loon is probably responsible for this.
Why wasn't anyone warned or informed?
No profiling!
Someone was profiling..
Maybe they were making too much honest hard working money..
KCwildguy

Independence, MO

#3 Jul 25, 2010
Just another example of Kansas City enforcing stupid regulations instead of solving murders, stopping the gangs, and making the highways safe.
KC truth

Warrensburg, MO

#4 Jul 25, 2010
So....what KC politician is partnered up with Surrey's competition?
carriage fan

United States

#5 Jul 25, 2010
It seems like a warning would have been a good idea, since the party was unaware of the law.
Curious

Kansas City, MO

#6 Jul 25, 2010
No problem with the Surrey's except they are incredibly expensive. If the price keeps going up, maybe no one will be able to afford to ride them.

Since: Oct 09

Leawood, KS

#7 Jul 25, 2010
A bit heavy handed considering that it was not preceded by a warning. Way to go, KCMO, way to put hardworking people out of a job.
bobby

Kansas City, MO

#8 Jul 25, 2010
as far as i know theres' never been any acciddents, on a carriage ride. I think this hurts kcmo more than helps our immage.My brother who lives oon the east coast brought his fiaancee and went straight to the plaza. no problems what so ever.
Margie

Lees Summit, MO

#9 Jul 25, 2010
This is a cruel business. All of you should be shut down permanently.

Since: Feb 10

Mission, KS

#10 Jul 25, 2010
KC truth wrote:
So....what KC politician is partnered up with Surrey's competition?
Prolly tht stupid C Aggis Crackhouse!

Since: Feb 10

Mission, KS

#11 Jul 25, 2010
Aggie
oops lol

Adrian, MO

#12 Jul 25, 2010
Most people do get warnings before a ticket or FINE but if there is only two carriage company on the Plaza I guess we know whom to put the blame on shame shame,I personal have been on the rides alot and only choose the same company every time We love Surrey's and all our friends and family choose the same,good drivers,and i must say some huge good looking horses.Time to eat at the Cheesecake Factory again and then enjoy a nice ride,,,Love the Plaza and all it has to offer. To far to walk to the other company anyway hehehe.
J Norris

Lenexa, KS

#15 Jul 26, 2010
Taxi cab drivers beware, you're next? Oh Pleeeaasse, what next. That's as bad as No Smoking in a,PRIVATE CLUB!!
sks

Kansas City, MO

#16 Jul 26, 2010
Margie wrote:
This is a cruel business. All of you should be shut down permanently.
What's cruel about it? Horses doing what they were put here to do? Get people from one place to another....plow fields...haul harvest. I assure you they are taking very good care of these animals and watching them in this heat, making sure they have water, just like humans. get off your holier than thou platform.
sks

Kansas City, MO

#17 Jul 26, 2010
oh and by the way...wow, the owner is taking this very well. kudos to you. a traffic ticket you say? they don't suspend my license if they ticket me for not wearing a seat belt. so why the suspension? reasonable fine and get back to work. Happy vacation Surrey's...hope all are well.
Taxpayer

Cary, NC

#18 Jul 26, 2010
Another example of the corrupt city government of KCMO. No doubt the competition has some city bureacrats in their pocket. This is an embarrassment to the city.
kitcatkiss

Lyndhurst, NJ

#20 Jul 26, 2010
I use to work for Surrey's more than 13 years ago. They care very much for their animals! I am a little confused about this, because back then we made sure we didn't have anyone ride next to us. However there wasn't a co-owner that I knew of back then.
Farm Boy

Olathe, KS

#21 Jul 26, 2010
Carriage company did learn a costly lesson.I have looked up the rule and regulations for driving carraiges down at the plaza their is not a specific regulation for livery drivers it is combined with the taxi driving the test for taxi drivers is also the same test surrey drivers take. Their is not a plain drawn out line between the two Regulatory Industries who gives these test and liscence Fox 4 ploblem solvers heres one for you.
Mo State Retiree

Overland Park, KS

#22 Aug 3, 2010
Being a horse owner myself, I would never allow an animal of mine to stand on the hot pavement this time of year to make a few bucks.

They ought to be ticketed for that as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 22 min RayOne 1,815
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Believer 97,049
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Samuel-6g-Jackson 18,855
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 13 hr stupid bills for ... 6,930
MO Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 22 hr neveratfault 223
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... Wed i kno 327
My wife Jennifer Thompson cheated on me while I... (Aug '11) Wed record keeper 77
•••

Flood Warning for Jackson County was issued at August 28 at 10:31AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Kansas City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kansas City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE