Osceola, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Guest wrote:
I am 62, graduated from high school in 1964. The roller rink was open when I was in the 9 or 10th grade. I don't know just when it did open.
I think it closed around 1975 about the time the other skating rink opened up down from the old bowling alley on nettleton ---- the one with the blue floor.
old school

Montgomery, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

So they left the old skates in there huh? Thats creepy and weird. It would be a good location to shoot a scary movie, "haunted roller rink".

“i am free”

Since: Sep 08

Jonesboro, Arkansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

i went by there the other day and the roller coaster carts are still there...there's a chainlink fence around the whole property so i couldn't go in...and the people i was with didn't want to climb the fence...so i didn't get to go in...
fan

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

We used to go there when we were teenagers back in the late 60's. Was a neat place to spend time rollerskating and having fun. Took my future wife there on some of our first dates. Had lots of good memories skating around and around holding hands and listening to some good music. Was a much simpler time to grow up than kids are experiencing now. I worry about all the crap my grandkids are exposed to now compared to how it used to be.
Went by there too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

I also went out there just to see what it looked like. Like Jtownboy said, it was fenced up with "No Trespassing" signs posted around it, so I looked at it from the street. You can see the old overgrown train cars from the road, as well as several of the old structures. While I thought it would be need to take some pictures out there, and I did notice that a few places of the fence had fallen down, I had no interest trying to sneak in and risk having to explain to the police what I was doing in there. It would be neat, though, to find out who owns that property now and see if there would be any way to take some photos of it.
Went by there too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Oops, that should say I thought it would be NEAT to take pictures.

Lake Charles, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2009

does anyone remember the bands playing out there?

Lake Charles, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2009

does anyone remember the bands that played out there?

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2009

omg!!! so long ago
Spirit of Reagan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2009

Judged:

Mr. Hester's comment was very rude. He could have been nicer.
tcb

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2009

America 1st wrote:
<quoted text>
They used to have a Lion..........
I remember the lion used to roar when we were out there at night. A little unsettling to say the least.
mrdontplay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2009

all of this is very neat very interresting to me I had no clue.
No offense

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

-don't be such a dick, it's important to people do keep your mouth shut.

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

No offense, You were about 3 years late on this topic

“Screw you guys, I'm going home”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

I remember as a sixth grader at West School we had our spring picnic there. South School kids were there also, and we were shocked their boys and girls were holding hands with each other.

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Bob Hester wrote:
<quoted text>The Chamber has more important things to do than track down pictures of redneck amusement parks for senior citizens who don't have anything to do all day. Try the library.
Senior citizens? I'm 37 and I remember skating at the old roller rink with my family. Actually when I saw this post I laughed because I was just telling my kids about it a couple of weeks ago.
hogjawl

North Richland Hills, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Went by there this weekend. Very cool and creepy. Does anyone know who owns it? It looks like sometjing the American Pickers wud like. The old train looked so cool. Its a shame it has been neglected these last 25 years. The city shud buy the property and redo it.

Trumann, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

hogjawl wrote:
Went by there this weekend. Very cool and creepy. Does anyone know who owns it? It looks like sometjing the American Pickers wud like. The old train looked so cool. Its a shame it has been neglected these last 25 years. The city shud buy the property and redo it.
I think thats a great idea!
Jonesboro needs something like that again!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

guest wrote:
<quoted text>Senior citizens? I'm 37 and I remember skating at the old roller rink with my family. Actually when I saw this post I laughed because I was just telling my kids about it a couple of weeks ago.
I remember going out there to and actually watching women's roller derby( I think it's called that) with my grandmother. It was a very cool place!! I didn't know I could get my senior citizen discount at 40! Thanks Bob Hester!! Lol It would be really great for Jonesboro to have a place like that again!
Memories

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

cool wrote:
My wife used to live close to it when we were dating.(bout 11 yrs ago)We used to take walks out there and look around. It was so wierd because all the games were still there and all the rollerskates were still lined up on the shelves as if everyone left the day before. It has a real goast town feel to it and as we looked around it was easy to imagine all the kids playing. I know a guy that grew up in this area and he owns one of the trains and track that was there. It is actually a real steam engine I think, and he keeps it in storage in Jonesboro. It is a really neat place, maybe more so to me because of the nostalgia and mystery it holds, not ever having been there while in operation, and because of the weird feeling we get when there. Me and my wife are writing books and we incorporated it into our story as a small part. It made an impression on us for sure.
my aunt and I used to go roller skating there all the time when I was kid. My mom did too. My grandpa actually built the house my mom grew up in( right across from the old golf course), and we used to go there all the time. Oh the memories. Pat Beneta's "hit me with your best shot" was the best roller skating song. The ferris wheel was kinda creepy when I was a kid, but I rode all the rides out there. I am so glad to see this post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of68
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

206 Users are viewing the Jonesboro Forum right now

Search the Jonesboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Being gay is wrong!!! (Feb '10) 6 min Rose_NoHo 4,530
Mark Pryor 48% --- Tom Cotton 38% 8 min guest 106
automax jonesboro (Oct '11) 9 min Help you how 10
Simple things my 8yr old understands but libera... 15 min Farton Barley 139
How to Tell a Democrat from a Republican 19 min Barton Farley 66
Could City of Jonesboro Use Alternative Energy? 22 min guest 8
Ultrasound Shows Chelsea Clinton’s Unborn Child... 46 min Disclaimer 2
fire 4 hr Wow 25
•••