First Prev
of 2
Next Last
crestfallen

United States

#1 Apr 28, 2011
does anyone know if there is a food not bombs chapter in jonesboro?
crestfallen

United States

#2 Apr 29, 2011
The first group was formed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1980 by anti-nuclear activists. Food Not Bombs is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to nonviolent social change. Food Not Bombs has no formal leaders and strives to include everyone in its decision making process. Each group recovers food that would otherwise be thrown out and makes fresh hot vegan and vegetarian meals that are served in outside in public spaces to anyone without restriction. Each independent group also serves free meals at protests and other events. The San Francisco chapter has been arrested over 1,000 times in government's effort to silence its protest against the city's anti- homeless policies. Amnesty International states it will adopt those Food Not Bombs volunteers that are convicted as "Prisoners of Conscience" and will work for their unconditional release.
crestfallen

United States

#3 Apr 29, 2011
Food Not Bombs is one of the fastest growing revolutionary movements and is gaining momentum throughout the world. There are hundreds of autonomous chapters sharing free vegetarian food with hungry people and protesting war and poverty. Food Not Bombs is not a charity. This energetic grassroots movement is active throughout the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Australia. Food Not Bombs is organizing for peace and an end to the occupations of Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine. For nearly 30 years the movement has worked to end hunger and has supported actions to stop the globalization of the economy, restrictions to the movements of people, end exploitation and the destruction of the earth.
crestfallen

United States

#4 Apr 29, 2011
Food Not Bombs is often the first to provide food and supplies to the survivors of disasters. During the first three days after the 1989 Earthquake, Food Not Bombs was the only organization in San Francisco providing hot meals to the survivors. Food Not Bombs was also the first to provide hot meals to the rescue workers responding to September 11th World Trade Center attacks. Food Not Bombs volunteers were among the first to provide food and help to the survivors of the Asian Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. Our volunteers organized a national collection program and delivered bus and truckloads of food and supplies to the gulf region. We were one of the only organizations sharing daily meals in New Orleans after Katrina. Food Not Bombs is now preparing for the economic crash organizing Food Not Lawns community gardens, housing the homeless with Homes Not Jails, organizing additional meals each week and starting new Food Not Bombs chapters.
Buckwheat-sucks

Little Rock, AR

#5 Apr 29, 2011
Why waste your time? It's about as revolutionary as Obama's movement for change and transparency. Plenty of assistance needed at the NEA Food bank or the Salvation Army and they're in the phone book.
crestfallen

United States

#6 Apr 30, 2011
Buckwheat-sucks wrote:
Why waste your time? It's about as revolutionary as Obama's movement for change and transparency. Plenty of assistance needed at the NEA Food bank or the Salvation Army and they're in the phone book.
i have no idea how you came to the conclusion that Food Not Bombs is anything like obama'a campaign. Food Not Bombs has been around for 30 yrs and doesn't mutually support any party Its awesome that you mentioned the food bank and salvation army because Food Not Bombs works closely with charitable organizations like these. most of what Food Not Bombs does involves recovering food for these groups and volunteering with them. once a week the group gathers to cook a meal for anyone who is hungry. Food Not Bombs is NOT a charity. we do not accept monetary donations and we do not look to receive tax breaks or any other monetary gain from our work. we are simply a group of individuals giving our time and food that would otherwise be wasted to people who need it. a group of people fighting to make life better for all of mankind yet you still have found baseless reasoning for being critical of us. FOOD NOT BOMBS!
crestfallen

United States

#7 Apr 30, 2011
there is not a local chapter in jonesboro but there is a need for one. anyone else interested in starting up a local jonesboro chapter?

“truth is a three edged sword”

Since: Jan 11

Babylon 5, Epsilon Eridani

#8 Apr 30, 2011
you forgot to mention that fnb members spend time in jail in most cities they have chapters in too
crestfallen

United States

#9 Apr 30, 2011
my truths wrote:
you forgot to mention that fnb members spend time in jail in most cities they have chapters in too
i did briefly mention it. I also mentioned that amnesty international will endlessly fight for the unconditional release of anyone who is arrested for participating in Food Not Bombs peaceful protests. Because of amnesty international a lot of the cities in california have stopped arresting people. florida and the rest of the world are also following suit. over the history of this country which is supposed to support free speech local gov has sought to silence people excercising their rights to peaceful protest for positive hange. food is a right not a privelage! FOOD NOT BOMBS!
Patriot

Jonesboro, AR

#10 Apr 30, 2011
How about a side of socialism with that Broccoli ? Food not Bombs is just another liberal socialist group hiding behind non profit status.
crestfallen

United States

#11 Apr 30, 2011
Patriot wrote:
How about a side of socialism with that Broccoli ? Food not Bombs is just another liberal socialist group hiding behind non profit status.
explain how you've come to this conclusion. Food Not Bombs is neither conservative or liberal. Food Not Bombs is a non profit organization. more so than most organizations. the members receive no personal gain other than the feelings of doing something good for someone else and standing up for the causes they find important. Food Not Bombs will not ask for your money only your time. if a liberal group is protesting and a conservative groups is counter protesting then Food Not Bombs will feed both sides. Food Not Bombs will feed anyone regardless of social status political stances etc. food is a right not a privelage. Food Not Bombs only goal is to show that with kindness all our differences can be overcome. war poverty suffering can all be completely eliminated through positive change and kindness regardless of creed color money or politics.. when we love each other and show this love everything else will fall by the way-side
Patriot

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Apr 30, 2011
crestfallen wrote:
<quoted text>explain how you've come to this conclusion. Food Not Bombs is neither conservative or liberal. Food Not Bombs is a non profit organization. more so than most organizations. the members receive no personal gain other than the feelings of doing something good for someone else and standing up for the causes they find important. Food Not Bombs will not ask for your money only your time. if a liberal group is protesting and a conservative groups is counter protesting then Food Not Bombs will feed both sides. Food Not Bombs will feed anyone regardless of social status political stances etc. food is a right not a privelage. Food Not Bombs only goal is to show that with kindness all our differences can be overcome. war poverty suffering can all be completely eliminated through positive change and kindness regardless of creed color money or politics.. when we love each other and show this love everything else will fall by the way-side
Basically because this group is just that. They protest war and millitary spending. They promote the idea of global warming and are Vegans promoting the idea that people that eat meat are Evil.
Patriot

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Apr 30, 2011
I honestly don't know how you can say that FnB is not political. When the main purpose is to oppose and protest political policies.
crestfallen

United States

#15 Apr 30, 2011
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically because this group is just that. They protest war and millitary spending. They promote the idea of global warming and are Vegans promoting the idea that people that eat meat are Evil.
how is any of that socialist? the answer is simple. its not! i'm not a vegan or a vegatarian. Food Not Bombs does serve vegan or vegatarian meals but by no means does it require its members to follow this same diet. and it does not consider those of us who eat meat as "evil". as a patriot you should understand that this country was formed from protest and our right to protest our government is the one thing our forefathers sought to secure for this country. Food Not Bombs doesn't require you support any political stance but our opinions on this war are fairly mutual. we have spent $1,187,323,165,576 on the war in iraq and afghanistan since 2001. this equals out to $200,000 for every man woman and child in iraq and afghanistan. if we had simply given them this money every man woman and child in those countries would love and support america. it would end terrorism and the war! not to mention the american lives that would have not been lost as a result of the war. you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. however if you do not share these views then Food Not Bombs will feed and accept you.
crestfallen

United States

#16 Apr 30, 2011
Patriot wrote:
I honestly don't know how you can say that FnB is not political. When the main purpose is to oppose and protest political policies.
i have never said that friend. Food Not Bombs is very political but we are also accepting of everyones views even if we don't agree with them. the main purpose however is not to protest. the main point is kindness. the main point is feeding ANYONE who is hungry. the main point is acceptance. would you be willing to do something good for mankind and help Food Not Bombs gather food for the food bank and homeless shelters? if you do then we can sit down afterwards and have a conversation about our different views. and we can both walk away feeling like we've helped our fellow man and learned a lesson in humility by looking past our differing views. I hope to see you there friend.
crestfallen

United States

#17 Apr 30, 2011
DORTHY wrote:
Hugs not drugs lol
haha yeah that's the motto. kinda. more like hugs not bombs. would you like to help us make a difference mrs dorthy?
Patriot

Jonesboro, AR

#18 Apr 30, 2011
I wouldn't be associated with this organization. Much less help their cause. I mean hell, who would sign up to be affiliated with a organization that the FBI has placed on the Terrorist watch list.
You are right, you never said they were not political and their website doesn't say meat eaters are evil. My apologies. You said they were neutral. The political views of this organization are in line with socialist liberal left. Anti-military, global warming, and they do promote being Vegetarian. I do not oppose peaceful protest by any means. I do oppose domestic terrorist.

Since: Apr 11

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Apr 30, 2011
Exactly what the website says.
Patriot

Jonesboro, AR

#20 Apr 30, 2011
Hmmm
crestfallen

United States

#21 Apr 30, 2011
Patriot wrote:
I wouldn't be associated with this organization. Much less help their cause. I mean hell, who would sign up to be affiliated with a organization that the FBI has placed on the Terrorist watch list.
You are right, you never said they were not political and their website doesn't say meat eaters are evil. My apologies. You said they were neutral. The political views of this organization are in line with socialist liberal left. Anti-military, global warming, and they do promote being Vegetarian. I do not oppose peaceful protest by any means. I do oppose domestic terrorist.
you know friend you have brought up a very good point and one that boggles my mind. how can a group who's entire goal is peace be on a terrorist watch list? but you're right they are viewed as terrorists. this isn't the first time a group or individual preaching a message of peace has been labeled as a terrorist and actively investigated by the fbi regardless of finding no reason to connect them with terrorism. an obvious example of this would be martin luther king jr his fbi file was extensive and he was viewed by the fbi as a terrorist despite his message of peace. mlk jr's protests were the epitome of peaceful protests. but because he excercised those rights to peaceful protest he was labeled as a terrorist then and now he is a national hero a key figure in our history and has his own holiday. Food Not Bombs is no different. they preach a message of peace. their protests are the epitome of peaceful protests yet they are viewed as a terrorist group. the truth iS ANYONE who voices opinions that oppose the governments are included in this watch list. Food Not Bombs has nothing to hide. thank you for supporting peaceful protests friend. I urge you to see a local chapter of Food Not Bombs for what it truly would and wouldn't be. it would not be a terrorist group. it would simply be a group of individuals fighting to prevent hunger and poverty and wastefulness while promoting concepts of peace and love.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arkansas Early Voting - Rock the Vote! 3 min Disclaimer 171
Why do black people lie all the time (Dec '13) 9 min ernee 5
Wet/Dry issue 13 min guest 385
Asa = Bad for Arkansas 20 min Disclaimer 89
ebola hits dallas 22 min Billy 718
Palin Family Throwdown 40 min Disclaimer 301
T - 29 Days until Midterm Elections 55 min DemsStillCheating 276
Jonesboro Dating
Find my Match

Jonesboro Jobs

Jonesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jonesboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jonesboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]