Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
First Prev
of 137
Next Last
Barbara

Erie, PA

#1 Jun 23, 2006
My 2002 Malibu has a turn signal oddity--I'm not sure the turn signal really is working (perhaps intermittantly it works) judging from the honking horns! Can anyone comment on this
eric

Bristol, CT

#2 Jun 27, 2006
there was a recall on the hazard light switch on my 01 check that
pinchi1

Tel Aviv, Israel

#3 Jun 27, 2006
my 2006 malibu is the best returen for the israeli shekel compering with all the cars in its class.
John

Canada

#4 Jul 5, 2006
Your 4 way hazzard switch has a cold solder joint in it, there is a recall on some 2000 to 200? Malibu's. Call dealer with your VIN to see if it is included in the recall. My 2000 Malibu had same problem but wasn't in the recall list, cost me $40.00 Canadian for switch. Replaced switch myself took 30 minutes.
Ron

Tulsa, OK

#5 Jul 14, 2006
Barbara wrote:
My 2002 Malibu has a turn signal oddity--I'm not sure the turn signal really is working (perhaps intermittantly it works) judging from the honking horns! Can anyone comment on this
My 2005 Malibu Maxx had a simlar problem. The dealer replaced the turn signal/running lamp socket under warranty. You usually can tell if you have a turn signal bulb out by how rapid the dash indicator lights flash. If one or both (front&rear) is not working then the dash light will flash about twice as fast as when they are working properly. I hope this helps
Severino Ruiz

Willow Springs, IL

#6 Jul 21, 2006
My 2002 Chevy Malibu started beeping on me. The beepin sounds like its comin from my drivers side front door. I tried takein out the fuses but nothin happened. I think it has somethin to do with my doors. Can someone please help me out.
Michael

Seattle, WA

#7 Jul 25, 2006
My 2004 Maxx has the turn signal issue on the left front. While getting that repaired, I found out the back disk brakes had 10% left on them, the fronts are hardly worn - estimated cost by the dealer $480. Current milage is 23,800 miles, no towing or heavy hauling. Is anybody else having brake issues? Any comments or solutions?
tmm

Gainesville, FL

#8 Jul 26, 2006
My 04 maxx had a squealing brake sound and was due to the caliper sticking and would have worn my brakes unevenly.
MY dealer was appreciative that I noticed befor e great damage was done.
Michael wrote:
My 2004 Maxx has the turn signal issue on the left front. While getting that repaired, I found out the back disk brakes had 10% left on them, the fronts are hardly worn - estimated cost by the dealer $480. Current milage is 23,800 miles, no towing or heavy hauling. Is anybody else having brake issues? Any comments or solutions?
dwg

Ballwin, MO

#9 Jul 27, 2006
Michael wrote:
My 04 Malibu Maxx has had a complete brake job at 29000 miles, rotors turned at 35000 miles and 39000 and am now replacing the front rotors at 45000 miles. I believe that the materials used are inadequate for the heat build up in the system. I have never replaced rotors or brakes under 40000 miles on any car that I have owned. I believe that GM should recall all 2004 Malibus for brake problems and make it right for the customers. These are not the only stories I have heard about the brakes on the 04's. The front left light was totally replaced on mine also.
granleli

Niceville, FL

#10 Jul 30, 2006
Can someone tell me what my miles to the gal should be in town for my 2000 malibu LS?...I have had it 2 years but just now checked my mileage....I get 19 miles in town. Is that normal?
Ra in Germany

Montgomery, AL

#11 Jul 31, 2006
Michael wrote:
Have noticed braking problems with my 2004 Malibu Maxx. Have you been able to resolve your problems?
DAMN BEEPING

Willow Springs, IL

#12 Jul 31, 2006
Hey Guys,
My car is goin nutzzzz. It started makein this beeping noise. It`s comin from my driver side front door speaker. I pulled every damn fuse out and it still beeps. I noticed my passenger side front door lock appears to be jammed. The only way i can get out my car is manually unlocking it from the inside or by pressing the keyless entry . Can someone please help me with this problem.
Karen

Monteagle, TN

#13 Aug 2, 2006
My 2004 Malibu LS continues to blow fuses for the turn signals and the horn. Love the car but I am tired of replacing the fuses.
Also, the steering column has a clicking noise in it when turning sharp as if the brakes are bad. Dealership hears the noise can't find any thing wrong. Electrical system must be bad on these cars. My daughter also has the same model and has the same problem.
GaryR

United States

#14 Aug 4, 2006
granleli wrote:
Can someone tell me what my miles to the gal should be in town for my 2000 malibu LS?...I have had it 2 years but just now checked my mileage....I get 19 miles in town. Is that normal?
I have a 6 cylinder '02 Malibu - get about 29-30 mpg 100% hiway driving, 25 mpg with a 50/50 mix hiway/in-town, and about 20-21 mpg in town. So depending on how you drive this sounds about right. Easy thing to do to improve mpg is change air filter if it is dirty.
GaryR

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2006
Turn signals are not working...Checked the fuse and it is OK. Must be turn signal switch. Can anyone tell me where the turn signal blinker switch is? Under the dash board?
GaryR

United States

#16 Aug 4, 2006
GaryR wrote:
Turn signals are not working...Checked the fuse and it is OK. Must be turn signal switch. Can anyone tell me where the turn signal blinker switch is? Under the dash board?
Found the problem - the turn signal flasher switch is also used for the hazard light blinker. Took off the wood simulated fascia on the dashboard for access, and then removed the white plastic plug going into the hazard switch and then plugged it back in. The turn signals started working. Evidently the plug and switch connection had gotten corroded (from small amount of arcing over the years of use) giving a poor connection.
GaryR

United States

#17 Aug 4, 2006
Barbara wrote:
See my reply "GaryR on 8/4/06" about turn signals not working. You could have a poor connection also like I did. Try unplugging and replugging the hazard light switch.
susan scouten

AOL

#18 Aug 11, 2006
dwg wrote:
<quoted text>
My 04 Malibu Maxx has had a complete brake job at 29000 miles, rotors turned at 35000 miles and 39000 and am now replacing the front rotors at 45000 miles. I believe that the materials used are inadequate for the heat build up in the system. I have never replaced rotors or brakes under 40000 miles on any car that I have owned. I believe that GM should recall all 2004 Malibus for brake problems and make it right for the customers. These are not the only stories I have heard about the brakes on the 04's. The front left light was totally replaced on mine also.
I just had brake pads replaced and rotors turned at just 17000 miles. I was told that the next time the pads give out I would have to replace the rotors for a cost of about 400 dollars. I think that GM should recall 04 Malibus (mine is a Malibu Maxx) and correct this problem. There is no reason for brakes to wear out that quickly. I have never had this problem before and have owned Malibus previously.
Wool

Columbus, OH

#19 Aug 11, 2006
My 1997 Malibu LS- failed to start all of a sudden. Took it to three shops, none could figure it out. Went to the dealer, they charged me $500 bucks to tell me they had replaced the fuses, 15 amp and 30 amp.
It seems the fuse box on this car is hopeless.
Michael

Scarsdale, NY

#20 Aug 14, 2006
My 2002 Chevy Malibu's turn signals are working intermintantly. The fuse is fine. Any other suggestions?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 137
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trick or treat 2014 Oct 4 pboyer 1
Jim Stoyle Allegations? Oct 1 wonderingmind 1
New bus line targets New Albany commuters Sep '14 They cannot kill ... 15
The late Jerry Halls wife Sep '14 flossy2 1
Subway Robbery Named Crime Of Week | WBNS-10TV,... (Aug '10) Sep '14 Motherof2 30
A great experiance at an auto body shop (Mar '08) Aug '14 Pedro Cintas 4
Carlos. Blanton Jul '14 whocares 1
Johnstown Dating
Find my Match

Johnstown Jobs

Johnstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Johnstown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Johnstown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]