First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Erin

Johnson City, TN

#1 Oct 29, 2012
I've always been interested in "adopting" an angel from the angel tree program. For those of you that have done it before, how does it usually work? What do most people budget? Thanks!
ciera

Sumrall, MS

#2 Nov 1, 2012
Hi im trying to find a angel tree program but the deadline is up i need help with my son christmas im a single mom with no help my son is 2
ciera

Sumrall, MS

#3 Nov 1, 2012
Email me at,robbygirl2393@gmail.com
Good age

United States

#4 Nov 3, 2012
Ciera,
The great thing about that age is that they are happy with anything! My best Christmas was one where nothing but our regular groceries were under the tree. My 2 yr old was so excited about unwrapping Mac n cheese.
Here's some tips from another single mom whose been there:
Start shopping early in the year at yardsales. You can get awesome deals on everything your little one would want. Too late for this to help now, but Christmas will come again next year.
Start hitting thrift stores now, & keep going back between now & the holidays. People start cleaning out old toys & donating this time of year. They often have boxes of free stuff like happy meal toys, stuffed animals, so even if you're flat broke, you can find something.
Find someone with a kid 2 yrs older than yours, & clean their house or babysit in exchange for some old toys.(I love this one, bc if your friend has old toys but no money, you can be helping her too).
Start saving your toilet paper rolls, & on Christmas use them to build a marble track together.
Make the focus more about giving to other people. Have your kid draw pictures to give away.

I have $ now & I still shop like this for my kids, & off clearance racks year round to stock up. I probably spend about a quarter of what my friends do & have just as good gifts for my kids. We also make a lot of stuff together, like decorations.

Mainly, don't stress yourself out trying to meet expectations put on you by advertisers & others. Don't compare yourself to middle class families, compare yourself to the majority of the world you're richer than. Your kid will be able to tell you're stressed & that will ruin things for him.

If you have any cash now, costumes are on clearance & 2 yr olds love costumes. Thrift stores also have a lot of costumes now.

Mainly hang in there. It's not too late, you have plenty of time to get an awesome christmas together for your kid, even if you have to scramble & do it no cash, or do extra work for cash. This is a great time of year for babysitting.

When you get your calandar for the new year, write on there for the first week of October to find out about angel tree if you want other people to buy your kid gifts next year. But you can totally do this, & have the best Christmas ever. Two yr olds are so fun & easy to please.
Good age

United States

#5 Nov 3, 2012
Erin wrote:
I've always been interested in "adopting" an angel from the angel tree program. For those of you that have done it before, how does it usually work? What do most people budget? Thanks!
You just grab an angel off a tree, they have them at various places like the mall. The tag has sizes & a toy wish list. You just need to return it all by the due date so they can see if Angels got taken but not returned. I'd say plan to spend 100-200 dollars.(there are usually clothes, shoes & toys on the list. This can get pricey, so most people I know go in with friends or coworkers). Some cheaper options are donating toys or cash to places like toys for tots or salv army for the kids who don't get picked.

You can also just keep an eye out for struggling families, especially grandparents raising kids, as they often don't sign up for Angel Tree.
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#6 Nov 3, 2012
Good age wrote:
Ciera,But you can totally do this, & have the best Christmas ever.
Advise from a very wise parent!
honest opinion

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Nov 8, 2012
what irritates me about the Angel Tree program is the toys that the kids put on their "wish list". Yes, they get needed items such as coats, shoes, etc. but the kids who put expensive gaming systems, iPads, etc. on their list.. for real? I bet a lot of two-income familes can't buy such items for their children. I agree with the previous post.. put food under the tree, learn to be thrifty all year long...I feel the Angel Tree program is abused by dead-beat parents who would rather drink or smoke away their Christmas money rather than put it away for their children... and don't give me attitude about my comment.. you know I'm right.(don't expect us to fund your Christmas for your 6 kids, all under the age of 10, all with different daddies and you can't afford daycare so you can work.. its called birth control and self control). I think the program needs to be stricter and you have to prove your need.
hmmm

United States

#8 Nov 9, 2012
Children are not responsible for their parent's actions or choices in life. Granted, everyone should know this already. The angel trees are for the children and Christmas is about love and giving, at least in some people's eyes. Give if you have the funds and make a child who may not have any presents under their tree at least the hope that someone cares.
Hunter

Johnson City, TN

#9 Nov 11, 2012
honest opinion wrote:
what irritates me about the Angel Tree program is the toys that the kids put on their "wish list". Yes, they get needed items such as coats, shoes, etc. but the kids who put expensive gaming systems, iPads, etc. on their list.. for real? I bet a lot of two-income familes can't buy such items for their children. I agree with the previous post.. put food under the tree, learn to be thrifty all year long...I feel the Angel Tree program is abused by dead-beat parents who would rather drink or smoke away their Christmas money rather than put it away for their children... and don't give me attitude about my comment.. you know I'm right.(don't expect us to fund your Christmas for your 6 kids, all under the age of 10, all with different daddies and you can't afford daycare so you can work.. its called birth control and self control). I think the program needs to be stricter and you have to prove your need.
This comment definitely shows your self control. If you dont want to help out kids who have nothing for Christmas than just don't. For me I find great joy in helping out the kids, no matter the situation at home.
1mom2amom

Johnson City, TN

#10 Nov 13, 2012
Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment definitely shows your self control. If you dont want to help out kids who have nothing for Christmas than just don't. For me I find great joy in helping out the kids, no matter the situation at home.
families like mine are so greatly appreciative for these wonderful angels..if not for these donations my children will have nothing this year for Christmas.yes I work but after paying bills and buying a few groceries there's nothing left to get anything for Christmas.so anyone willing to help please comment for info
1mom2amom

Johnson City, TN

#11 Nov 13, 2012
Does anyone know where I could sign up for getting help to give my children anything at all for Christmas?
Sami

Louisville, KY

#12 Nov 15, 2012
ciera wrote:
Hi im trying to find a angel tree program but the deadline is up i need help with my son christmas im a single mom with no help my son is 2
Where are you from? We would live to help you with Christmas! I have a two year old son as well you can email me at samistarr88@gmail.com
Kesha

United States

#13 Nov 17, 2012
For those of you who may not know about the Marines Toys for Tots foundation they are still taking toy request and you can do it online. Fill out the request form and your kids ages. They email you right back in minutes.
meto

Kingsport, TN

#14 Nov 17, 2012
Erin wrote:
I don't do this anymore because that when someone don't return their stuff for there angel then they take part of yours and give it to another one...this is what I do I find a family that I know really needs help and I buy for them and help them out and that works better for me...like the guy said in the earlier statement they have things on there that I can't afford to buy...I don't adopt the Angel's anymore because they tell you NOT to wrap the stuff you buy and that is because the kid you bought it all for probably won't get it...they take all the stuff in and if someone don't take there stuff in then they take part of the stuff you bought don't make it to the kid you bought it for...and I know this for a fact you have people that knows how to play the system on this and I have saw them do this by the time they are done they have got stuff off of about three angle trees....so mine is going to someone that needs it badly...that is just me...
true

Kingsport, TN

#15 Nov 18, 2012
meto wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't do this anymore because that when someone don't return their stuff for there angel then they take part of yours and give it to another one...this is what I do I find a family that I know really needs help and I buy for them and help them out and that works better for me...like the guy said in the earlier statement they have things on there that I can't afford to buy...I don't adopt the Angel's anymore because they tell you NOT to wrap the stuff you buy and that is because the kid you bought it all for probably won't get it...they take all the stuff in and if someone don't take there stuff in then they take part of the stuff you bought don't make it to the kid you bought it for...and I know this for a fact you have people that knows how to play the system on this and I have saw them do this by the time they are done they have got stuff off of about three angle trees....so mine is going to someone that needs it badly...that is just me...
.I help wrap the gifts a couple years .What you say is true
right on

Chatsworth, GA

#16 Nov 18, 2012
honest opinion wrote:
I agree with some of your post. Many people don't even TRY or do the things that the poster above suggested (buying off clearance racks throughout the year, etc.) and they don't try because they DEPEND on the Angel Tree to buy for them.

Programs like that should be a last resort, but instead it's become a tradition and an expectation.

I don't fault kids for wanting iPads and video games because they ARE kids and most kids want those things. However, the parents need to be responsible and considerate when filling out the papers and realize that if they are truly in need that an iPad shouldn't be on their list and therefore leave it off.

There were some years when I would have qualified to sign up on the Angel Tree, but I never did. Just because you CAN get something doesn't mean you HAVE to. Some families who qualify for the program based on income don't have children who are going to go without because they have relatives (grandparents and aunts, etc.) who spoil them rotten, even if the parents can't.

I think it's a great program that started with wonderful intentions and is extremely abused. I would much rather help out a family that is in REAL need, but doesn't want to ask for help.

The guidelines are not strict at all. All you have to do to qualify is be on food stamps. Lord knows that lots of people on food stamps still have extra money to spend. I was on food stamps as a single, working mother which is when I qualified for the program, but I didn't sign up. Instead, I was grateful that I could use the food stamps to fill my baby's stocking. I bought halloween costumes that were discounted down to a dollar or $2 bc kids LOVE to play dress up. Then, I went to dollar stores that usually have a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale and each toy is only $5 so for $10 you can get 3 toys. For $50 you can get 15 toys! That's enough really, but if you really want to have more then go to the dollar tree and get TEN more toys for a buck each!

To each their own. If someone wants to spend their money on the Angel Tree then they certainly have that right. I just like to know where my money is going and it's not going to go to make some woman's Christmas better than most kids because she doesn't claim her live in boyfriend's income and signs up for help even though her mother is getting the kids iPads for Christmas.
true

Kingsport, TN

#17 Nov 19, 2012
Volunteer to help with the gift wraping or on the days they give out the gifts and food boxes .It may open your eyes and heart.The little ones cant help what mom and dad do or dont do .They just know its Christmas
nah

Chatsworth, GA

#18 Nov 19, 2012
true wrote:
Volunteer to help with the gift wraping or on the days they give out the gifts and food boxes .It may open your eyes and heart.The little ones cant help what mom and dad do or dont do .They just know its Christmas
i don't need to see a happy kid's face on christmas to have my eyes opened. i've known plenty of the "angel tree" parents personally and i know what is really happening. the kids would get gifts if the angel tree wasn't providing them, and they still do get gifts in addition to the angel tree. there are lots of people who will take, take, take anything you'll give them whether they need it or not as long as there are people willing to give give give. nothing wrong with giving, but doing so blindly is only enabling.
Cindy

Bristol, TN

#19 Nov 19, 2012
As a former employee of The Salvation Army, I wouldn't donate a dime to their "cause". Before I get started with this story you should know that I did not go to The Salvation Army seeking employment, they sought me out. I accepted the job because they promised amazing benefits that I honestly could not pass up (health, dental, paid holidays, etc). I was willing to work for scrap pay (minimum wage w/o any chance of a raise) in order to get such benefits, but I soon learned it was too good to be true.

The Salvation Army requires full-time employees complete a 90 day/40 hour per week probationary period before receiving benefits. Unfortunately at the end of that 90 day period you are dropped down to part-time hours for two weeks. At the end of that two weeks you are then bumped back up to 40 hours. This is an ongoing process put into place to keep employees from actually receiving their promised benefits. Doing the most good, eh? I think not.

Now lets talk about employees who rifle through donations in search of forgotten money, accidentally donated jewelry, etc. If you happen to lose your wedding ring in a bag while dropping off your donations... consider it gone. While I was working there I found a gold bracelet and ring that were obviously donated by accident. I turned them into one of the women who works with The Ladies Auxiliary and the look of surprise on her face was priceless. She informed me that no one ever turns in jewelry and that I was a good person for doing so. I found out later the set was appraised for around $800. I guess they didn't attempt to find the owner.

There were many other shady happenings during my time at The Salvation Army, but I think this is enough for now.
Samantha

Johnson City, TN

#20 Nov 20, 2012
Good age wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say plan to spend 100-200 dollars.(there are usually clothes, shoes & toys on the list.
That seems a little high. They have a sign on the tree that tells people to only spend around 25. I usually do about 50 or so. There are thousands of kids on the tree, and this is a poorish town :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What has happened to Morgan King on Daytime Tri... 3 hr Seriously 19
Welcome To URINE, Tennessee 37650 (formerly kno... 17 hr OldTennGranny 3
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 20 hr melissa 305
Buttercup Bakery closes in downtown Erwin Sat StupidStomper 8
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare Sat Truthout 21
narcs (Apr '13) Fri attention 14
Fuzzy Holes (Mar '09) Fri curious1 75

High Wind Warning for Washington County was issued at November 23 at 8:35PM CST

Johnson City Dating
Find my Match