Boones Creek Elementry school dances

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
graygal

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 9, 2012
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behing having school dances for children 8 or 9 years old and younger? Seems like we are exposing our children to these life events at younger and younger ages. What's next?? 4th grade prom? I just think its a bit ridiculous.
This is funny

Johnson City, TN

#2 May 10, 2012
graygal wrote:
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behing having school dances for children 8 or 9 years old and younger? Seems like we are exposing our children to these life events at younger and younger ages. What's next?? 4th grade prom? I just think its a bit ridiculous.
GRAYGAL-----Don't know what your problem is, but I along with 400 other parents think that it is a "GREAT THING" that the school finally has a social event for "ALL AGES" of our children....Not just a select few. If you don't like the event, and you have child there, by all means "KEEP THEM AT HOME" or send them to another school. We used to have events when I was in elementary school, like dances and fall festivals at night. This is "AWSOME" what the school is doing for "OUR" children. So I would suggest that you keep you big nose out and stay at home.
This is funny

Johnson City, TN

#3 May 10, 2012
graygal wrote:

Ohhhh BY THE WAY. I have a child that goes there !!!!!!!!!
Gray Parent

United States

#4 May 10, 2012
graygal wrote:
If you have been at one of these dances than you would know, it is NOT the kind of dances we used to have in middle school! The DJ has the kids doing games and fun dances the whole TWO HOURS they are there. PTO normally sponsors them so the money always goes back into the school which benefits the children and Teachers ! Almost every teacher and both Principal. And Asst Principal attend plus many parents! Middle school dances are not even what they used to be! They are very monitored. Kids cannot go out and play without constant supervision anymore. These kids look so foward to these dances. Please, in the future, have some facts before you post!
Beekeeper

Johnson City, TN

#5 May 10, 2012
graygal wrote:
I agree 100% It is ridiculous. Just another of the umpteen fundraisers to get money.
graygal

Johnson City, TN

#6 May 11, 2012
Thanks Beekeeper.. I wasn't aware it as a fundraiser. And everyone else who has their panties in a wad over my question, you can just calm down... Must have hit a nerve though for you to react with your BIG WORDS.. lol.
Graygal

Johnson City, TN

#7 May 11, 2012
Gray Parent wrote:
<quoted text>If you have been at one of these dances than you would know, it is NOT the kind of dances we used to have in middle school! The DJ has the kids doing games and fun dances the whole TWO HOURS they are there. PTO normally sponsors them so the money always goes back into the school which benefits the children and Teachers ! Almost every teacher and both Principal. And Asst Principal attend plus many parents! Middle school dances are not even what they used to be! They are very monitored. Kids cannot go out and play without constant supervision anymore. These kids look so foward to these dances. Please, in the future, have some facts before you post!
...duh.. obviously I was posting to get the facts.. hence me starting out "would someone please explain to me..."
Nothamama

United States

#8 May 11, 2012
This is funny wrote:
<quoted text>
GRAYGAL-----Don't know what your problem is, but I along with 400 other parents think that it is a "GREAT THING" that the school finally has a social event for "ALL AGES" of our children....Not just a select few. If you don't like the event, and you have child there, by all means "KEEP THEM AT HOME" or send them to another sc
hool. We used to have events when I was in elementary school, like dances and fall festivals at night. This is "AWSOME" what the school is doing for "OUR" children. So I would suggest that you keep you big nose out and stay at home.
I certainly hope that the other parents who attend can act more mature than the middle schoolers. You flying off the handle over another parent's simple question does not speak well for you. You do realize that every family is different and has different values, correct? And just because someone might have qualms about something, it is completely irrational to think that means their child should not attend events, or that they are the only parent who feels this way.
Yes, I also think it is really weird the way Wash Co Schools have dances for elem/middle school. I do think events like that should be saved for older ages. No, there's no 4th graders making out, but they do play pop music that I feel is off color, & they vote on homecoming king & queen in lower grades----gross!
Dances should be special events for teens old enough to date. We want to treat our 10 yr olds like teens, our society is quickly losing rights of passage that used to signify growing older & more responsible, & the result is adults who never grow up, see above post.
Wondering

Boone, NC

#9 May 11, 2012
What is old enough to date? Would that not vary as well? Some parents allow their children to "date" at 11 or 12.(which I think is stupid) Kids "go together" in middle school. Some parents will not let their children date until 16,17,18. It is a supervised social gathering that allows kids to learn how interact in group settings. I do not agree with the fourth grade dance, but see nothing wrong with 7th or 8th grade.
curious

York, SC

#10 May 11, 2012
I have attended all of the dances held this year at bce. Parents line the walls. Teachers and the principal were there. No slow songs were played. They had games, the dj went over the rules several times, I along with other parents and teachers danced around with the kids and they had a great time. The kids did not get "dates" and none of the children slow danced together. If there is a problem with it keep your child at home and let the rest have a good time.
Nothamama

Chicago, IL

#11 May 11, 2012
curious wrote:
I have attended all of the dances held this year at bce. Parents line the walls. Teachers and the principal were there. No slow songs were played. They had games, the dj went over the rules several times, I along with other parents and teachers danced around with the kids and they had a great time. The kids did not get "dates" and none of the children slow danced together. If there is a problem with it keep your child at home and let the rest have a good time.
It's not the speed of the songs, it's the words in them. I think it is kinda sad that your attitude is "keep your kids at home then." Even my kids know to try to accommodate their friends' rules to make them comfortable & welcome when they come to our house, I personally think kids should feel that way at school, too. I just can't comprehend where you are coming from there.

And I am not in any way saying I know everything that goes on in my kids' lives, but, yes, they do get "dates." Why wouldn't they, it's a dance! They just might not tell you, or talk to each other while they are there, lol.

For me, keeping my kids home because I think it's odd to introduce dating situations to kids this age would be kind of a psycho overreaction, & also pretty bad parenting. Just because you might not love a certain thing about your community doesn't mean you have to sit everything out. It means you find out more info, like the original poster is doing, engage in discussions. You can choose to change things for the better, or you can do what I do with the dances-- talk to my kids about what messages they are receiving, how that relates to our values & rules, & then go to the dance.
Nothamama

Chicago, IL

#12 May 11, 2012
Wondering wrote:
What is old enough to date? Would that not vary as well? Some parents allow their children to "date" at 11 or 12.(which I think is stupid) Kids "go together" in middle school. Some parents will not let their children date until 16,17,18. It is a supervised social gathering that allows kids to learn how interact in group settings. I do not agree with the fourth grade dance, but see nothing wrong with 7th or 8th grade.
Very good points.
I think 7th/8th grade is a good age for dances, but you are right, it would vary by family.
Nothamama

Chicago, IL

#13 May 11, 2012
Why can't they just call them "parties"?
curious

York, SC

#14 May 11, 2012
Nothamama wrote:
<quoted text>It's not the speed of the songs, it's the words in them. I think it is kinda sad that your attitude is "keep your kids at home then." Even my kids know to try to accommodate their friends' rules to make them comfortable & welcome when they come to our house, I personally think kids should feel that way at school, too. I just can't comprehend where you are coming from there.

And I am not in any way saying I know everything that goes on in my kids' lives, but, yes, they do get "dates." Why wouldn't they, it's a dance! They just might not tell you, or talk to each other while they are there, lol.

For me, keeping my kids home because I think it's odd to introduce dating situations to kids this age would be kind of a psycho overreaction, & also pretty bad parenting. Just because you might not love a certain thing about your community doesn't mean you have to sit everything out. It means you find out more info, like the original poster is doing, engage in discussions. You can choose to change things for the better, or you can do what I do with the dances-- talk to my kids about what messages they are receiving, how that relates to our values & rules, & then go to the dance.

I do talk to my daughter and she was asked to the valentine dance by two boys but she knows she is not allowed to do that or have a "boyfriend" So she said no. My daughter and I have very open discussions. While at the the dance I saw kids doing what kids that age do. Dancing around acting goofy with their friends. The op was coming off with a negative opinion from the get go. If she/he thinks it's too early for kids to go to a dance then keep them at home.
intheknow

Johnson City, TN

#15 May 11, 2012
You can blame the assistant principal for allowing pto for this. She along with some pto members do not look at hte big picture and are trying to push their ways on the community. Harrell needs to remember where she came from. Certain boardmembers think Harrell, Leonard, Noto and Mahoney can do no wrong and are blind when it comes to some of the teachers there. If you have a problem call school board but good luck.
Unconcerned Citizen

Kingsport, TN

#16 May 11, 2012
After looking at this topic... I feel like I have wasted 2 minutes of my life. Wow.... just go and bitch about something that, at the end of the day, will be forgotten by all children by Wednesday of the following week. This is stupid, this topic dumb, and I feel like you should worry about other things than your child going or not going to a dance... like them doing well in school and planning for their future.... oh wait... too young to be concerned about that too right?
Gray Parent

United States

#18 May 11, 2012
Unconcerned Citizen wrote:
After looking at this topic... I feel like I have wasted 2 minutes of my life. Wow.... just go and bitch about something that, at the end of the day, will be forgotten by all children by Wednesday of the following week. This is stupid, this topic dumb, and I feel like you should worry about other things than your child going or not going to a dance... like them doing well in school and planning for their future.... oh wait... too young to be concerned about that too right?
agree! 100%
Gray Parent

United States

#19 May 11, 2012
Graygal wrote:
<quoted text>
...duh.. obviously I was posting to get the facts.. hence me starting out "would someone please explain to me..."
explained
Jane doe

Johnson City, TN

#20 May 12, 2012
"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." - Ephesians 4:31-32 better yet i am sure all of you have a family why not spend time with them instead of on here maybe all would be better in other words for you who dont understand get a life
Mary

Johnson City, TN

#21 May 12, 2012
Jane doe wrote:
"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." - Ephesians 4:31-32 better yet i am sure all of you have a family why not spend time with them instead of on here maybe all would be better in other words for you who dont understand get a life
I agree....this forum is entertaining at times ,however, it should be done away with. It is nothing more than gossip and lies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ebola control 1 hr Independent 13
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 1 hr DonotbesoNaive 250
Where do people go for assistance with food or ... 15 hr OldTennGranny 4
Get Amy Lynn fired from Daytime Tri-Cities!!! (Jan '11) 20 hr Offbutton 134
Erwin is called Urine 21 hr CityHick 6
Obama Doesnt Know His ISIS From a Hole in the G... Mon Independent 80
Intimate treasures Mon Ashley 7
Johnson City Dating
Find my Match

Johnson City Jobs