Fentress county charter

Posted in the Jamestown Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#1 Jun 19, 2012
I have a question. How did a charter get written and put on a web site before it was discussed in public? Also the charter commission has stated they would get input from the citizens be fore presenting the charter to the people. What is going on here? Is it already written or what, and are they violating the "sunshine" law by putting it on the computer before a public meeting.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 19, 2012
fentress county citizen wrote:
I have a question. How did a charter get written and put on a web site before it was discussed in public? Also the charter commission has stated they would get input from the citizens be fore presenting the charter to the people. What is going on here? Is it already written or what, and are they violating the "sunshine" law by putting it on the computer before a public meeting.
There is probably a much longer answer,but here is the shorter version..The committee here is using the Giles county proposal as their template for ours.They are also putting things in there that they know is illegal and will not pass muster in court.I kind of thought the committee members took an oath to adhere to state and federal laws..Maybe I am wrong on that.Hmmmmmm.
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#3 Jun 20, 2012
I have another observation........All I am seeing is this charter commission is adding high paying jobs, dru testing for ALL employees and elected people at approximately $15.00 per person, but in order to be legal to fire someone tested positive for drugs, will you need a CERTIFIED PERSON TO DO THE TESTING?? What will that cost? A CPA to run the finance office, What will that cost? Elect a judge and pay him 2 or 3 times as much as what we pay now. Hold a primary election every 2 years, how much does each election cost this county? They have just begun, and so far all they have accomlished is adding more debt to this county and so far they have NOT said where the money is coming from to pay for all this. They have told people this charter will save taxes, and so far they seem to be spending peoples money with no explaination of where the money is coming from. At the rate they are going, the propertyt tax will have to be raised another 49% just to pay for their wonderful charter. See last weeks paper and count the school personel and figure the amount it will cost just for them. This charter commission is a spend, spend commission and not one word of what this is going to cost. They have all these ideas, but have no clue of what it takes to run a county government. Of course if we do not like it, WE CAN SUE. That is what they like to do best!!!!!
Tnhillbil

Hilham, TN

#4 Jun 20, 2012
I do not thnk the jc was discussed in the open and the taxes were put on the citizene without much ado.It was certainly not transparent.It reminds me so much the president and his transparency of government which turned into one of the most cloak and dagger administration all-time.How many of us would have loved to see the RFID chips in the Obamacare plan.Why would they put a chip in yur hand or forehead when they can pull you up on the computer in a few seconds.Then of course,you will have to have this chip to buy and sell.It seems as though the end is nigh.God forgive us for what we have done.
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#5 Jun 20, 2012
The JC WAS discussed at the commission meetings. Most people did not attend, David Beaty asked for the final vote to be put OFF until after the election in 2010 and it was and in Sept the vote was taken, approved and you know the rest of the story!!!!!!!!!! It was even written in the newspaper!!!!!
local voter

Jamestown, TN

#6 Jun 20, 2012
look what this co. is being led by almost never wins by more than 30% vote and you want more of this. i am 100% for the charter
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#7 Jun 20, 2012
I made a mistake in my previous thread #3, It should have read, " Electing a County Attorney" instead of judge. Also the figure of $15.00 for a drug test is the figure for a urine test. What Sharon Garrett mentioned was a hair test which can cost upwards of $300.00 per test. They need to be specific
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#8 Jun 20, 2012
checked with the election board today and it costs the county about $30,000.00 to $35,000.00 to hold an election.It takes a staff of about 75 people to run the election, plus paper and mateials for machines and all elections must have early voting, so extras to work at the office in town. Oh, yes, unless I misunderstood, no more voting at York Elementary school, moved to Allardt elementary, 3 precincts will be voting there.
DrEvil

Jamestown, TN

#9 Jun 20, 2012
I have read a lot about the charter and i am 100 per cent for it if L.B B.P and F.S wants to retire from the county let them get a job with Solid Waste or the High Way Dept .if they had to work a real job they would be screwed.

Location hidden

#10 Jun 20, 2012
local voter wrote:
<quoted text>look what this co. is being led by almost never wins by more than 30% vote and you want more of this. i am 100% for the charter
You do not need a Charter government,which will cost a whole lot more money per year to take care of this issue..All you have to do is have a run off election for everyone that does not get over 50% of the vote..Take the top 2 people and have a run off..Simple,less costly and quite effective.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 20, 2012
Tnhillbil wrote:
I do not thnk the jc was discussed in the open and the taxes were put on the citizene without much ado.It was certainly not transparent.It reminds me so much the president and his transparency of government which turned into one of the most cloak and dagger administration all-time.How many of us would have loved to see the RFID chips in the Obamacare plan.Why would they put a chip in yur hand or forehead when they can pull you up on the computer in a few seconds.Then of course,you will have to have this chip to buy and sell.It seems as though the end is nigh.God forgive us for what we have done.
Wrong again..The building of the JC was discussed,off and on,for over 10 years..When the current commission got into office,they were faced with the fact that a larger facility had to be built or face getting the current one shut down.The CC then discussed it quite a bit,and even held town hall meetings that was advertized in the paper,and I believe some of the schools put it up on their bill boards outside.
he he

Jamestown, TN

#12 Jun 20, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again..The building of the JC was discussed,off and on,for over 10 years..When the current commission got into office,they were faced with the fact that a larger facility had to be built or face getting the current one shut down.The CC then discussed it quite a bit,and even held town hall meetings that was advertized in the paper,and I believe some of the schools put it up on their bill boards outside.
I think you dream a lot. You remember things other folks never heard about. I think you may have,still been in Sandusky 10 years ago.
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#13 Jun 20, 2012
Read the newspaper from July-August 2010 and it is front page news, David Beaty asked for and received a vote delay on Justice center. The new incoming ommissioners voted for it in September, after the election on the first thursday in August. There were only a handful at the meeting. There were only a handful at the 2 meetings this week andthe same last week, and the same last month. When the charter commission raises your property taxes 49% to pay for what they want, then you can then yell at them!!
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#14 Jun 20, 2012
...... See last weeks paper and count the school personel and figure the amount it will cost just for them..........
The County or Charter Commission has NOTHING to do with the school board, they are a separate entity.

Quit trying to spread lies as you have accused others of doing.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#15 Jun 20, 2012
...... When the charter commission raises your property taxes 49% to pay for what they want, then you can then yell at them!!
I thought they wanted to put the property tax issue on the ballot to vote on/for/against?!!!?

More lies spewing from your gums!!

Location hidden

#16 Jun 20, 2012
he he wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you dream a lot. You remember things other folks never heard about. I think you may have,still been in Sandusky 10 years ago.
What a major fishing expedition..By the way,I went to one of the town hall meetings,read the advertisements,and saw a school sign with it on it..

Location hidden

#17 Jun 20, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought they wanted to put the property tax issue on the ballot to vote on/for/against?!!!?
More lies spewing from your gums!!
Think about it for just a second..If everyone is drug tested especially hair follicle,it will cost a lot of money..Also the many other things being put in the Charter will cost the county a lot more money every year..Where will the money come from?Looks like another tax increase..Even if the Charter has the property tax issue on it,it will not be any good..Why? Because the state says property taxes are controlled by the CC totally..State trumps local law...
fentress county citizen

Jamestown, TN

#18 Jun 20, 2012
If you attended meetings, you would know they want control of ALL elected offices, Including school board when state allows it. That was stated in the paper and they told it on the radio. If there is a need for more money, more taxes. Against the constitution to vote on a property tax raise, so, if it is in the charter, it is NOT legal!!!!!!!!!!commissioners can and will raise taxes to support their new government. DO NOT CALL ME A LIAR, THE CHARTER COMMISSIONERS SAID IT AT AN OPEN MEETING, AND ON THE RADIO. They said it was the AttorneyGenerals opinion it is not legal, but they would put it in the charter anyway. The state of tennessee legislature has a bill pending in the house and senate to either limit property tax raise to 25% or $1.00, which will change the law, but until then, commissioners can legally raise property taxes and the charter CANNOT override a state statue!!!!!!
liability

Jamestown, TN

#19 Jun 20, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about it for just a second..If everyone is drug tested especially hair follicle,it will cost a lot of money..Also the many other things being put in the Charter will cost the county a lot more money every year..Where will the money come from?Looks like another tax increase..Even if the Charter has the property tax issue on it,it will not be any good..Why? Because the state says property taxes are controlled by the CC totally..State trumps local law...
Think of the discounts which the liability insurance carrier will offer based upon approved testing. This is something that should be done now. It shows the County means business and reduce future liabilities, i.e., auto accidents or on the job injuries. Safety first, regardless of the cost.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#20 Jun 20, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like your usual MO, you try to muddy the waters with your statements.

The Charter Commission wants to put the property tax raising on the ballot, that is a fact. Whether or not it is "illegal", we'll soon find out.

I was rebutting that person's statement about the Charter Comm going to raise the property tax to pay for x,y, and z; when in fact they want to put any property tax increase to a vote.

If you can't come up with a substantiative reply, you shouldn't waste your time and mine by posting on here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
YAI Teachers 23 min wherearetheynow 31
Liberals (Oct '13) 53 min just common cents 258
Voter Fraud 2014 Mid-terms 5 hr just common cents 18
Long Term Food Storage? (Jun '09) 6 hr dollop 53
Mayor of Allardt 8 hr Todd 1
This oughta lift your spirits. 8 hr Stray- Dog 1
Democrat women.....Who is the ugliest? 11 hr Stray- Dog 9

Freeze Watch for Fentress County was issued at October 30 at 1:35PM CDT

Jamestown Dating
Find my Match