Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage fight

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Iowa Independent 411

Differences between the two Democrats competing for the Iowa House District 66 seat couldn't be more stark.

Full Story
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Kyra

Jordan, MN

#1 Jun 5, 2010
Well, this should be simple: vote for the actual Democrat!

Mr. Rudison is in the wrong primary.

(Also: really loving how he thinks it's accurate to say he's "pro-family" and "pro-marriage" when he's actively working to destroy people's marriages and leave people's families defenseless.)

Since: Feb 08

Iowa City, Ia.

#2 Jun 5, 2010
Well at least he can't do anything about equal marriage rights in Iowa, since our state's supreme court ruled on it unanimously. He could still try to influence national votes, so hopefully people will see that and vote for the other guy.

I always have to wonder how people can be against equal marriage rights if they are of that age and non-white. Surely they remember having similar laws about interracial couples. It's just sad, really.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#3 Jun 9, 2010
at least Branstad is the least nutty of the three Republicans who ran for Governor. we survived him once, we could again. he is a relatively nice person, as an individual. not a fanatic. even in his twenties, when he was in the state legislature, and more extreme, he was still personable. and he got lots of training as Lt. Gov. serving with Bob Ray, in how to try to get along with people of different views, at least as a person, if not in his political views. we will have a good enough choice in the fall. not great, but not as bad as in some places. poor South Carolina~ it is downhill from Sanford~ even the teaparty types in Iowa are not as nuts as they are in many other states. some of them locally are nice folks.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#4 Jun 9, 2010
I think Roberts might have been a stronger candidate in Iowa, for Governor, since he does not have a record like Branstad does, and did not have opposition from the extreme rightwing religious fanatics - I did not say all Iowans are sensible - including many who voted for the third candidate, and who threaten not to support Branstad.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#5 Jun 9, 2010
Local Iowan wrote:
Well at least he can't do anything about equal marriage rights in Iowa, since our state's supreme court ruled on it unanimously. He could still try to influence national votes, so hopefully people will see that and vote for the other guy.
I always have to wonder how people can be against equal marriage rights if they are of that age and non-white. Surely they remember having similar laws about interracial couples. It's just sad, really.
I agree with you. so sad to see that black minister, being put up front as a spokesman for an anti-equal rights position. I personally would prefer to see a legalization of civil unions, with equal rights for all, rather than using the term marriage for legal or governmental purposes, for anyone. It has a religious usage and connotation, and could be left to individuals, families, communities, churches. Civil union sounds more formal and businesslike, for government usage, and more appropriate for conveying rights to people. civil union for all couples, not a separate status for just gay couples, I mean. The Iowa Constitution guarantees equal rights.
Boyd

Racine, WI

#7 Jun 10, 2010
Iowa has gone to the dogs

Judged:

14

11

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 11, 2010
To Boyd... The dogs? Who are the dogs?

BTW... I think! Therefore I do not listen to Rush Limbaugh.
BVW

Fort Dodge, IA

#9 Jun 11, 2010
baboon lips might be the most appropriate screen name I have ever seen. Well maybe you should add 'baboon brain' and 'baboon fingers' too. Very intelligent discussion there...

I'm not gay but gay marriage isn't stopping me or anyone else from getting married if they want. If it doesn't affect me, I don't worry too much about it...how would you like someone else telling you how to live YOUR life simply based on THEIR religion? Do Jewish people stop Christians from eating pork or do Hindus stop anyone of another religion from eating beef? This is exactly why we separate church and state in this country.
ahhh geeez

Milton, FL

#13 Jun 13, 2010
what is with all the name calling ????? sounds like 2nd graders to me, first of all why do you care who gets married to whom gay people are not inviting you or anyone else to their wedding or into their lives for that matter so wtf does it matter to you people out there with nothing better to do than but into peoples lives. it's just like people who live together have no rights, none what so ever. a piece of legal paper stands between you and your personal rights, all americans should have the right to be with who they want as long as it does not hurt anyone so who are gay people hurting by wanting the same rights as all should have,,, the God I was brought up to serve loves everybody, there is only one God that I know of so back off and mind your own business. haters are not of God they are evil so the next time you go to hate someone for no reason ask yourself is it because they have personally done something to you or do you think you are better than the God who loves everyone or is it because it's what everyone else expects you to do ? I have a mind of my own I don't let anyone influence me one way or another, I live by if you are good to me I'm good to you, if you are disrespecting me then seee ya don't need ya, live life on your own terms not someone elses you will be alot happier it is that easy...
Boyd

Racine, WI

#15 Jun 13, 2010
Let's see - a chop here, a chop there, a chop here .k . . . bow wow. .. . chop there . . .
scrappy doo

Cookeville, TN

#17 Jun 24, 2010
progressive wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you. so sad to see that black minister, being put up front as a spokesman for an anti-equal rights position. I personally would prefer to see a legalization of civil unions, with equal rights for all, rather than using the term marriage for legal or governmental purposes, for anyone. It has a religious usage and connotation, and could be left to individuals, families, communities, churches. Civil union sounds more formal and businesslike, for government usage, and more appropriate for conveying rights to people. civil union for all couples, not a separate status for just gay couples, I mean. The Iowa Constitution guarantees equal rights.
Civil unions for gays and marriage for hetersextuals. Man + Woman = Marriage.
Little me

Old Hickory, TN

#18 Jul 3, 2010
I know someone who just left Iowa, not long ago. Sure can see why from the comments on here.

One man plus one woman equals marriage.

Judged:

13

13

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#19 Jul 3, 2010
Little me wrote:
I know someone who just left Iowa, not long ago. Sure can see why from the comments on here.
One man plus one woman equals marriage.
Not in Iowa.

Not in Vermont, Massachusettes, Connecticut, New Hamshire, or Washington DC either (not to mention numerous other countries).
Whatever

Anita, IA

#20 Jul 6, 2010
If it were only a religious beef that people had, I could see the confusion. There's nothing logical about homosexuality in general. Not biologically--scientifically OR morally. So why should we condone the symptoms of what amounts to little more than a personality disorder? Should we also then legislate for schizophrenics and others to make their uninstitutionalized lives seem more normal? I don't think so. They need to address the problems of their particular group and not make everyone else conform.(Press 1 for English.) I should never have had to process that MY gov't has taken it upon themselves to equate the confusion and perversion that is homosexuality with my marriage. Its sad.

Judged:

12

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
just me

Chesterfield, MO

#21 Jul 6, 2010
Being gay is not a personality disorder. Its love ! Its just as simple as not being able to get enough of the person you are with. Im sure you all had this 'personality disorder' when you met your spouse !
Christian Order

United States

#22 Jul 6, 2010
I don't understand homosexuality, I don't beleive it is right but that is my opinion I have gay friends and would help them anyway i could i just personally beleive it is wrong i have friends that do things i don't agree with or beleive in but that is their choice but one thing gets me... Marriage is between a man and a woman says so in the Bible and like it or not that is what this country is based off of, or was i think it would be ok for them to have civil unions that gives them the same rights as a married hetrosexual couple but it should NOT be called marriage that is a straight abomination to God. God forgives most things but that is blasphemy to say to of the same sex are married in terms of Christianity, Judism, or Islam. This is why our country is going to shit becasue God Once looked on us with favor and now we have turned or backs and our doing things our way after living so well we think we have no need of the Lord all we need is our money and our liberal politicians telling us how to live like here in keokuk. I say again i am not prejudice everyone makes their own choices and are judged accordingly by the Lord not man! So there for I hope all the gays find happiness just please as I am not stepping on your toes do not step on mine or the other God-fearing beleivers and say that your union is Marriage in Holy Matramony!!!!
cloud

United States

#23 Jul 6, 2010
Is there a branch of westburo Baptist church in hawarden? Whatever said. " I should never have had to process that MY gov't has taken it upon themselves to equate the confusion and perversion that is homosexuality with my marriage. Its sad." my answer to that is if there was any confusion and perversion that is homosexuality with your marriage, that is a problem that you will have to take up with you or your spouse. The only way gay marriage can affect a straight marriage is if one of the spouses is gay to start with. If gays want to make a life long commitment to their partner, then let them! Then the government can take their money, and the numbers for cheating spouses in the u.s. will drop as well.
how would all of you anti gay marriage people have to take an I.q. test before you are allowed to have children? And if the government felt that you were not intelligent enough to provide a stable home or instill proper moral values you would not be allowed to procreate? Would you not want the right to have children? I know that it is not the same argument, but I am sure that I would rather be surrounded by intelligent gay people, than narrow minded simpletons.

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#24 Jul 6, 2010
Christian Order wrote:
I don't understand homosexuality, I don't beleive it is right but that is my opinion I have gay friends and would help them anyway i could i just personally beleive it is wrong i have friends that do things i don't agree with or beleive in but that is their choice but one thing gets me... Marriage is between a man and a woman says so in the Bible and like it or not that is what this country is based off of, or was i think it would be ok for them to have civil unions that gives them the same rights as a married hetrosexual couple but it should NOT be called marriage that is a straight abomination to God. God forgives most things but that is blasphemy to say to of the same sex are married in terms of Christianity, Judism, or Islam. This is why our country is going to shit becasue God Once looked on us with favor and now we have turned or backs and our doing things our way after living so well we think we have no need of the Lord all we need is our money and our liberal politicians telling us how to live like here in keokuk. I say again i am not prejudice everyone makes their own choices and are judged accordingly by the Lord not man! So there for I hope all the gays find happiness just please as I am not stepping on your toes do not step on mine or the other God-fearing beleivers and say that your union is Marriage in Holy Matramony!!!!
G-d has NEVER called homosexuality an abomination. And, yes, you ARE a bigot!
young iowan

United States

#26 Jul 14, 2010
Do you ever wonder if the state got to vote on this issue, what the outcome would be? It seems a lot of things are decided by our leaders without getting a general concensus first. Then after the fact, we all debate the crap out of an issue. The coming election won't make a difference in the long run, democrat or republican, they are still a politician.
jacjamm

Ashland, OR

#27 Jul 14, 2010
ahhh geeez wrote:
what is with all the name calling ????? sounds like 2nd graders to me, first of all why do you care who gets married to whom gay people are not inviting you or anyone else to their wedding or into their lives for that matter so wtf does it matter to you people out there with nothing better to do than but into peoples lives. it's just like people who live together have no rights, none what so ever. a piece of legal paper stands between you and your personal rights, all americans should have the right to be with who they want as long as it does not hurt anyone so who are gay people hurting by wanting the same rights as all should have,,, the God I was brought up to serve loves everybody, there is only one God that I know of so back off and mind your own business. haters are not of God they are evil so the next time you go to hate someone for no reason ask yourself is it because they have personally done something to you or do you think you are better than the God who loves everyone or is it because it's what everyone else expects you to do ? I have a mind of my own I don't let anyone influence me one way or another, I live by if you are good to me I'm good to you, if you are disrespecting me then seee ya don't need ya, live life on your own terms not someone elses you will be alot happier it is that easy...
I agree.I'm not religious but, the name calling is the last resort of frustrated people who are angry because they cant force their beliefs on everyone else.Reminds me of the terrorists who want to kill the infidels, or anyone who does'nt buy into their belief system.Gay bashers are the ground zero of hate and intollerance.
Anyone with a contrary opinion is viewed as a threat to their weak argument.The idea that gays and lesbians have a personality disorder is really over the top.
I'm not gay myself but I've never felt threatened by them.
This is an issue of love---not psychosis.
I've never seen gays bashing man woman marrige and I've never seen atheists protesting the building of yet another chuch.
Lets live and let live and dump the bigoted fear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 63
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
IA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Iowa in 2... (Oct '10) Sep '13 So true 52
Any Pizza Hut employees in Iowa Falls who have ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Serious Money 1
Isabelle Ketchum (Mar '13) Mar '13 Judy 1
Two Fired Over Alleged Bus Drag Racing in Iowa (Mar '13) Mar '13 btincc 1
•••
•••
•••

Iowa Falls Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Iowa Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Iowa Falls News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Iowa Falls
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••