United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Mindseye wrote:
When is the next comissioners meeting? Does anyone know the proper procedure to present pictures?
The local government has recieved letters about this subject, but perhaps a more direct approach is required.
Show up to the commission meeting early and ask to be put on the meeting agenda. Without being on the agenda, you may not get a chance to speak. If you are on the agenda, they will give you a chance to speak on an issue. Keep your speech short and to the point. Try to have your facts in order and well researched.

Good Luck
Hometown girl

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Was just at the park on Sat. evening. The flower beds are out of control. I saw the pipe and the spring that were sticking out of the ground. Very dangerous! And my daughter and her boyfriend got locked in the zoo about 2 weeks ago. They checked the time before they went in and it said the gates were locked at 9pm. Then tried to get out at 8:45 and the gates were already locked! They had to climb over the fence to get out.
But Really

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

There is a park board that meets every first monday of the month. You can find the link on the city site under calander of events. It even lists the members.?ope this helps!
Matt

Sterling, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

jackbone wrote:
Seriously what I want to know is Why it is still called a zoo? It use to be, when there was seals, elephants, lions and tiger and bears. Ooo my. Now it is nothing more than a park. Maybe it is time for some new blood in the park.. Maybe some of you Topix City Leaders, should bring it up at the next commission meeting.
So many changes in USDA regulations make it hard for small town zoos to have some of the animals you referred to. Zoos are required to keep at least two elephants now, and RMZ doesn't have the space or money for that. Lions and Tigers eat meat, which is expensive. Any animals that would have a water enclosure would require too much time and money, as well as someone with training in dealing with aquatic mammals. They do the best they can with what they can.
Bat Fastard

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Where is Riverside Zoo at? Is it in another town? But speaking of Zoo's, has anybody been to Ralph Mitchell Zoo lately in Independence Ks? Here is a Link to its website...
http://www.forpaz.com/zoo.htm
tiredinindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

using the inmates to do the clean up would be one good idea,but where is the community pride? i grew up in this as well as some of you and enjoyed the park as a kid. i have taken my children there too, and i would be willing to give back by helping lend a hand. why leave it to inmates whose community pride may be nonexistent. if we aren't willing to do more than complain or bitch in this forum, then no matter what "improvements" are made, we will still sit back and bitch about something else. "they didn't fix this right" or "they cut this shrub wrong", etc. let's step up to the plate people and help beautify a piece of our community
organizer

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

If you would like to organize a community group, do it, I am sure you could find pleanty of recruits. Start your community organization, name your selfs, and petetition the city counsil to make it happen.. I bet they would go for it, with restrictions...
But Really

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Did i mention there is a park board that decides where funding goes and improvements. At least that what the city page says?
lifetimeresident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

If you go to the web sight it states there are 200 spices of animals at Ralph Mitchell Zoo. I wish someone would learn to count. There is know where near that number of animals in the zoo.
GGGZZZ

Spring Hill, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

The website stated there were bears and cougars at the bottom- I must have missed the cougars due to the empty bages
GGGZZZ

Spring Hill, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

"cages"
But Really

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

They didnt say different types of species did thay? With the animals on the one way the rabbits ducks geese birds squirles and other animals in cages their could be 200 animals.
wakeupppl

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

GGGZZZ wrote:
The website stated there were bears and cougars at the bottom- I must have missed the cougars due to the empty bages
you didn't miss the cougars...they died.. maybe you should ask what they were being fed and how quickly their diets were changed.
moving to the 21st

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

By leaving the exhibits "natural" it's easy to maintain and they really can put their time into important things.(sleeping on park benches). Also do we really want a $30,000+ director mowing, clean restrooms and watering flowers. Seems like that would be an entry level job and he should be make decisions and improving the park and zoo.
lifetimeresident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2009

moving to the 21st wrote:
By leaving the exhibits "natural" it's easy to maintain and they really can put their time into important things.(sleeping on park benches). Also do we really want a $30,000+ director mowing, clean restrooms and watering flowers. Seems like that would be an entry level job and he should be make decisions and improving the park and zoo.
Amen to that. I couldn not have said it better.
wakeupppl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

lifetimeresident wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to that. I couldn not have said it better.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
those who know

Ottawa, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

all he has to do is appoint someone or hire someone or acctually do the work. He's a nice guy but he either needs to run the zoo, or let someone with the time to do it. And leave the poor guy doing therapy alone! You can't even believe the truth when its shoved where the light don't shine. No your nose stupid.
wakeupppl

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

those who know wrote:
all he has to do is appoint someone or hire someone or acctually do the work. He's a nice guy but he either needs to run the zoo, or let someone with the time to do it. And leave the poor guy doing therapy alone! You can't even believe the truth when its shoved where the light don't shine. No your nose stupid.
I think it's time for someone with new ideas for the park and zoo to take over. Maybe if the guy doing "therapy" would help out then we wouldn't have Ned having to clean the restrooms and pick up trash. The guy that mows does a great job, but he also has to haul the trash and weedeat. Seems like the ones that really do work hard don't get the credit for the great jobs they do.
I Voted No

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

The problem is if the park was perfect, and there was one 3' x 4' area that wasn't, that would be what got noticed, pointed out, and discussed.

Since: Jun 09

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

Judged:

Except we aren't talking about one 3'x4' area.

We are discussing flower beds in disarray, overgrown paths, deteriorating facilities, unsafe playground areas with metal sticking out of the ground and exposed electrical wiring and empty light sockets that are within reach of children, empty zoo exhibits, and lack of care and upkeep on the rest of the parks in town.

We are discussing people being locked into the zoo because it is locking the gates early, with no walkthrough. We are discussing local community groups not being allowed to participate in making improvements to the zoo.

The problem is that some people would rather defend inadequate workers and poor management rather than make an effort to make things better.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

75 Users are viewing the Independence Forum right now

Search the Independence Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
isreal defense 46 min Wow 19
What is it with realtors? 1 hr dirt boy lover 51
2014 Taxes 1 hr Former Local 14
Good roofing contractors 2 hr homeowner 25
Should the downtown Astra mural be painted over? 3 hr simple man 30
Who do you favor for County Commissioner? 7 hr Disco Inferno 0
Why Vote Democrat? 7 hr SEKGuy 31
Host at Vintage Steak House 10 hr Fun Time 21
The Car Shop 10 hr interesting 27