Question

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Someone who went to the commission meeting last night said one person asked a question and was told by a commissioner they didn't have to answer it for him.Then the very next person asked a lot of questions and got answers to every one of them.Did anyone out there go?Did this happen?If it did it doesn't sound right or fair.
no comment

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Sounds like they don't have answers. Their smoke screen is getting thin. Hope people will get out and vote when the time comes.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Question wrote:
Someone who went to the commission meeting last night said one person asked a question and was told by a commissioner they didn't have to answer it for him.Then the very next person asked a lot of questions and got answers to every one of them.Did anyone out there go?Did this happen?If it did it doesn't sound right or fair.
Yes, that's exactly what happened. The guy who asked the vision question 2 weeks ago asked Webb the same question last night. He also questioned whether or not it was wise to not answer questions from taxpaying citizens who care enough about the town to come to the meetings. He was told that the commission meetings were not the time and place to ask questions, but that the end of the meetings were for people to make comments only. The commissioners and city official do not have to answer questions period. Then a woman who is on good terms with the commissioners started asking question along the same line and was rewarded with an actual discussion in which her questions were answered. So ... the lesson learned here is your questions will be answered if only you learn to kiss ass.
McMolly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Question wrote:
Yes I was there. A person asked what was Mickeys vision for Independence. The board thanked him for his comment. he then asked another question and made made some comments. They again thanked him for his comment. Then a lady in the audience came forward and made another comment then they thanked her for the comments. Then for the first time someone at the head table made a comment to the 10 people gather there. The town lawyer said that the forum was not for asking questions. Some questions and answers were exchanged. It was for comments only and the board was not required to answer any questions. So technically the board did not answer any questions. We were informed that the vision was already presented to the town in the past. They are not required to give monthly updates for the pleasure of the citizens. Mr. white also commented that the majority of the citizens are pleased with the boards actions.

I tend to believe that comment because of the lack of interest and attendance at the meetings.
Question

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

McMolly wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I was there. A person asked what was Mickeys vision for Independence. The board thanked him for his comment. he then asked another question and made made some comments. They again thanked him for his comment. Then a lady in the audience came forward and made another comment then they thanked her for the comments. Then for the first time someone at the head table made a comment to the 10 people gather there. The town lawyer said that the forum was not for asking questions. Some questions and answers were exchanged. It was for comments only and the board was not required to answer any questions. So technically the board did not answer any questions. We were informed that the vision was already presented to the town in the past. They are not required to give monthly updates for the pleasure of the citizens. Mr. white also commented that the majority of the citizens are pleased with the boards actions.
I tend to believe that comment because of the lack of interest and attendance at the meetings.
From what I was told, a woman asked some questions and got answers. If the commission answers questions for one person (who's friendly to the board) but won't answer questions for another person (who's questioning the board's actions), isn't that discrimination?

Besides the lack of interest and attendance at meetings, I can't help but wonder if they feel most people like their actions because they usually only come in contact with people from their part of town.I bet if they went south of Main Street they wouldn't get the same reaction.
Listen Up

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

It's been said more times than can count, Elect 2 like minded commissioners that will be transparent next time, and then and only then will Independence government be "fixed" again. 2 like minded commissioners can walk into meeting #1 after being sworn in, dismiss the city manager, appoint an interim CM, that they know ahead of time what needs to be done, then you can have the Fire Dept as a Fire Dept again, a EMS as its own dept again, and no need to break up the current city hall. Sell off the properties that have been bought in stealth mode, and restore Independence to a functioning city once again. Irs not hard people.. Listen up!
no comment

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Not sure when it is ok to talk to the commissioners. Personally I wouldn't go to their place of business, I would not call them at home.Do they stick around after the meeting to be available to people?
Answer

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

no comment wrote:
Not sure when it is ok to talk to the commissioners. Personally I wouldn't go to their place of business, I would not call them at home.Do they stick around after the meeting to be available to people?
A friend of mine tried to ask two commissioners a question after the meeting. They told her to right them a letter.I wonder if they answer questions for other people after the meeting.More discrimination?
no comment

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

I don't understand the thinking of not answering questions. If the meeting or after is not the right venue, when is it? The no answers statement makes one wonder why. Any elected official should be open and available to the people who elected them.Maybe people would not be so angry if answers were given as to why they have made the decisions.You know how an argument goes when a parent says " because I said so!" We adults are much like that in that we just want a good reason!
I am the one

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Likely the reason they won't talk to you is because you are habitual grippers, NO ANSWER will satisfy you.. You jump from gripe to gripe. You just wan't to control and bitch, you will pick any subject you can think of to bitch about.

Its you, get a life. Or continue to have your feeble mind occupied on strife. No skin off anyones sack but your own!
Question

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

I am the one wrote:
Likely the reason they won't talk to you is because you are habitual grippers, NO ANSWER will satisfy you.. You jump from gripe to gripe. You just wan't to control and bitch, you will pick any subject you can think of to bitch about.
Its you, get a life. Or continue to have your feeble mind occupied on strife. No skin off anyones sack but your own!
Your comment is a little confusing: If the commission refuses to answer any questions (as evidently is the case), how can you say, "NO ANSWER will satisfy you..."? If you don't get an answer in the first place, you can't be dissatisfied with it. The commissioners CHOSE to run for the commission. If they weren't prepared to answer questions for the people whose money they're spending (and wasting), maybe they need to step aside for someone who is willing to answer questions. Quite frankly, you sound like someone adversely affected by the people trying to get some answers. You wouldn't happen to work for the City, would you?
Really

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

If they can not answer questions on what decisions they are making, it makes for a cover up. That is the reason for open meetings laws. This isn't the day of Hilter. Give me the money and go away. Better idea - Mickey go away!!!!!!!!!!
McMolly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I was told, a woman asked some questions and got answers. If the commission answers questions for one person (who's friendly to the board) but won't answer questions for another person (who's questioning the board's actions), isn't that discrimination?
Besides the lack of interest and attendance at meetings, I can't help but wonder if they feel most people like their actions because they usually only come in contact with people from their part of town.I bet if they went south of Main Street they wouldn't get the same reaction.

I will talk real slow

the
commission
did not
answer any questions
Jeff Chubb the commission lawyer
said the meeting time is for comments
only not questions.
a dialog was between Jeff and a citizen

Jeff is not a commissioner
therefore the commission did not answer any questions

They politely listened to all comments. But did not respond.
It was stated that the vision has already been given to the people and the meetings are not the proper forum for Q&A.

Go figure
Really

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Maybe it should be put in writing asking for a meeting for Q & A. Also does anyone remember a vision put out for 30 or more years? The last I remember was how the town was to grow in a study and the rules to follow such as the size of the land a store could go on.
I am the one

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comment is a little confusing: If the commission refuses to answer any questions (as evidently is the case), how can you say, "NO ANSWER will satisfy you..."? If you don't get an answer in the first place, you can't be dissatisfied with it. The commissioners CHOSE to run for the commission. If they weren't prepared to answer questions for the people whose money they're spending (and wasting), maybe they need to step aside for someone who is willing to answer questions. Quite frankly, you sound like someone adversely affected by the people trying to get some answers. You wouldn't happen to work for the City, would you?
You are a paranoid idiot..Bad combination..... I do not work for the city, they don't pay enough....
I have never had a problem getting an answer to a question. But I am not a trouble making, chronic whiner!
Question

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

McMolly wrote:
<quoted text>
I will talk real slow
the
commission
did not
answer any questions
only not questions.
It was stated that the vision has already been given to the people and the meetings are not the proper forum for Q&A.
Go figure
Where I work, our employers emphasize the importance of giving good customer service. If a customer asks a question that none of us knows the answer, we've been trained to tell them that we don't know the answer, but we'll get it and give them a call back: We do the research, they get their answer, and we learn something new.

There are some answers Micky and his fellows would know without any research, for example: "Who is doing the consulting work on ADA improvements?" They could immediately answer those questions when asked and everyone should be happy and feel respected.

Then there are questions that might require a little research, for example: "When was the last time the parking lot at City Hall was repaved?" They could follow our employers' policy and tell the person they will research and call them back. Good customer service and everyone would be happy and feel respected.

Then there are questions that might get them into legal problems, for example, "Why did John Smith get fired?" Jeff Chubb could immediately step in and tell the person asking the question that the commission could not answer that question. The question is not answered, everyone should understand, be happy, and feel respected.

I don't know why people who want questions answered either have to take time off work and talk to someone in control or not get them answered at all. It doesn't make sense to me, but much of what our city government is doing these days doesn't make sense to me. If anyone out there can explain this to me, it would help. I don't see any reason for anyone to feel disrespected.
Question

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

I am the one wrote:
<quoted text>You are a paranoid idiot..Bad combination..... I do not work for the city, they don't pay enough....
I have never had a problem getting an answer to a question. But I am not a trouble making, chronic whiner!
You reminded me of someone at City Hall who is thin-skinned and becomes easily angered for no logical reason at all. Generally, that type of individual is very insecure, and will immediately resort to questionable antics and nasty, unprofessional comments. Fortunately, those of us with experience with that sort of individual don't give much credit to their actions, their words, or them. Otherwise, they don't deserve the time of day, so they most certainly don't deserve our time.
twofer

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

I am the one wrote:
<quoted text>You are a paranoid idiot..Bad combination..... I do not work for the city, they don't pay enough....
Shut up Tim you dumbass!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

McMolly wrote:
<quoted text>
I will talk real slow
the
commission
did not
answer any questions
only not questions.
Go figure
You are right about Jeff Chubb being the main one answering questions from the woman, but the commissioners did not sit there mute like statues, McMolly. There was definitely a discussion going on with them all, and they were all answering her questions. The only one I saw who didn't participate was Tony Royce. And Micky Webb. To me it looked like they were all stepping in to protect Webb against the awful guy with the scary vision question.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Its all in the Reporter tonight, front page.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

73 Users are viewing the Independence Forum right now

Search the Independence Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
cost to have lawn mowed 1 hr Helping Hand 3
city to pursue no parking in your yard like c'v... 2 hr burnett-lignon 43
Independence Substitute Teacher Accused of Chil... 3 hr Do some research people 36
Legalize marijuana in Kansas 4 hr response 108
Montgomery County Swap (Apr '13) 7 hr hehe 10
The "Fountain" at Riverside Park (May '13) 10 hr on the mend 409
Women's Lib Destroyed America 11 hr Dr Dr 3
Leonhard Caflisch's Listening Tour 22 hr devilbaby 55
•••
•••
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••