Knife was true legend, retired jersey or not

Full story: ArgusLeader.com

In the winter of 1959, I was one of those thousands of would-be basketball heroes who watched Freddie Knife and the Cheyenne Braves in newspaper and on radio.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Arlen Lee

Burke, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2006

I got to see Freddie Knife play at the Job Corps gym in Swiftbird when the place was still open. This was back in the late 60's and as Mr. Woster commented, Knife was back then, still a fine ballhandler as I saw him dribble the ball as he slid on the floor among other fancy ballhandling he had the skill to perform. He was as always will be one of the best in the state. I regret the way Mr. Knife died but in reality he had a true gift and those who had the opportunity to see him perform and who could appreciate that gift know what I'm talking about. May he RIP.
waylon johnson

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2006

this was a great article,
its great to see a legend get reconized, then to have his jersey retired, how amazing. alot of people forget he help bring home a championship to eagle butte. yes i wore the number 31 and never realized i was playing for mr. knife. i will always charish the number 31, for the young braves growing up, they have something to work for.
sam

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2006

i go to school in Eagle butte everybody loves freddie knife
wacantiognakawin

Yuma, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

I heard many stories about him, his legacy will go on...
Indian basketball fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

cheyenne agency players were all legends. these players put eagle butte on the SD map when we moved to Eagle Butte. Without us eagle butte would of died. They were ball handlers like the Harlem Globetrotters but only better. I knew all the players and most of them were from the west-end of the rez. Legends never die but live on. True BRAVES colors are royal blue & white---go blue and white! there is a basketball heaven where some of our players are watching the indian team below. they worked as a team. Hooray to Coach Kolb, your the best!
Indian basketball fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Royal blue and white. Go BRAVES from Cheyenne Agency. You are all legends, true ball players and you work as a team thanks to Coach Kolb! The town of Eagle Butte would of died, if we didn't move here. the best ball handlers in the state of SD. You went to State 3X and put EAgle Butte on the map. BAsket ball is your passion even when you retired Fred. You were all honored at the tournaments at the STATE, LNI, TRibe and community.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huron Discussions

Search the Huron Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
My Voice: Officials chose handout instead of ha... (Aug '10) Mar 26 Doralyn 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Huron, SD (Feb '11) Dec '13 Ana 16
found green stone 1971 Huron High Class Ring (May '13) Sep '13 Debbra 3
find lo ve free here! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Domitila Massenberg 1
Any Pizza Hut employees in the Huron area worki... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Billy Finds 1
bigappol site to help students expatriates (Nov '12) Nov '12 Mark 1
Alex Wayne Pettit, 25 (Jul '08) Aug '12 Trevor 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Huron Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Huron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE