Tasha

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Long story short, my husband got addicted to pills real bad and started pawning a lot of stuff in the house. A lot of it was MY stuff, as far as I can tell I'm gonna need close to $1000 to get everything back. Some of it I can take the hit on, but he also pawned some stuff that has a lot of sentimental value. Apparently since we're married it can't technically be reported as stolen since its considered his property too. So how do I go about getting at least some of my things back? He's gone (god knows where) but I have our marriage certificate to prove I'm not jut some random person trying to pick up pawned items. Now what?
1 post removed
Tasha

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Um, I have a job? Perhaps I wasn't clear: I'm going to have to save for a little while to be able to get everything, what can I do to work with the pawn shop in the meantime so that things don't get sold? I don't have all the pawn tickets and since we're married the things he pawned can't be classified as stolen.
Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

You should be asking these questions at the pawn shop.
Tasha

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I wanted to get an idea of how it works before I go in there and publicly announce I married someone who turned into a junkie.
Zaphod Is An Idiot

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Dumbass! I don't think she is asking for money, stupid, your reading comprehension skills aren't really up to par, huh?
Anyway, Tasha, it really depends on the pawn shop. Some places have rules that ONLY the person that pawned the item can pick it up, other's will let someone else as long as you have the pawn slip, and some will let anyone. Who told you it couldn't be reported as stolen? If it was not the police department, I would contact them and tell them what has happened and there may be some sort of loop hole that allows your things to be reported stolen, I don't really know for sure. Either way, contact the pawn shop(s) he pawned your things at and also let them know what has happened and they may be able to work with you on giving you an extension to pay interest on certain items.
Unfortunately, I'd say the only thing you are going to be able to do is pay the interest on the items you don't want to lose each month until you can save up the money to get them out, if you're even able to get them out without your husband or the pawn tickets, or both. If he pawned several items together then typically you can't pay interest or get out one item without getting all of them out/ paying interest on all of them. If items were pawned individually then you can pay interest and get them out individually. I worked for a pawn shop in Huntington for a while and our policy was very lax, anybody could pick up anything as long as they knew what the item was and what name it was under. But, most pawn shops have more rules than that so don't get your hopes up.
Long explanation shorter. Contact the police if you haven't already to make sure you have no legal recourse. Then contact the pawn shop(s) and find out their policies, when payments are due, if they will do anything to work with you, what items were pawned together, what you need to get the items out, etc. And then go from there.
Sorry this happened to you, drugs have taken over this city and it is a shame what these addicts do to their family for a fix. Also, you may want to contact the proper authorities and see if you can get a mental hygiene hold placed on your husband. It usually takes two family members to sign it and it probably won't make him get clean but it may be just enough to open his eyes and want to change. You never know.
Zaphod

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Tasha wrote:
I wanted to get an idea of how it works before I go in there and publicly announce I married someone who turned into a junkie.
You don't have to explain yourself to them. Just ask their policy. They should be able to let you pay a percentage to keep them in hock but you'd have to ask that particular pawn shop their policy.
Zaphod

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Zaphod Is An Idiot wrote:
Dumbass! I don't think she is asking for money, stupid, your reading comprehension skills aren't really up to par, huh?
Anyway, Tasha, it really depends on the pawn shop. Some places have rules that ONLY the person that pawned the item can pick it up, other's will let someone else as long as you have the pawn slip, and some will let anyone. Who told you it couldn't be reported as stolen? If it was not the police department, I would contact them and tell them what has happened and there may be some sort of loop hole that allows your things to be reported stolen, I don't really know for sure. Either way, contact the pawn shop(s) he pawned your things at and also let them know what has happened and they may be able to work with you on giving you an extension to pay interest on certain items.
Unfortunately, I'd say the only thing you are going to be able to do is pay the interest on the items you don't want to lose each month until you can save up the money to get them out, if you're even able to get them out without your husband or the pawn tickets, or both. If he pawned several items together then typically you can't pay interest or get out one item without getting all of them out/ paying interest on all of them. If items were pawned individually then you can pay interest and get them out individually. I worked for a pawn shop in Huntington for a while and our policy was very lax, anybody could pick up anything as long as they knew what the item was and what name it was under. But, most pawn shops have more rules than that so don't get your hopes up.
Long explanation shorter. Contact the police if you haven't already to make sure you have no legal recourse. Then contact the pawn shop(s) and find out their policies, when payments are due, if they will do anything to work with you, what items were pawned together, what you need to get the items out, etc. And then go from there.
Sorry this happened to you, drugs have taken over this city and it is a shame what these addicts do to their family for a fix. Also, you may want to contact the proper authorities and see if you can get a mental hygiene hold placed on your husband. It usually takes two family members to sign it and it probably won't make him get clean but it may be just enough to open his eyes and want to change. You never know.
Sorry Charlie. You can't sue a spouse for pawning shared property.
pawner

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I know my son pawned something of his that I bought for him, he was underage and had someone else pawn it for him and I found the receipt in my son's wallet. So, I went to Gold and Pawn, explained the situation and since I had the pawn ticket, I was able to pick it up.
I would honestly file a police report and then take that to the pawn shop and if you were able to do like in another case i had years ago when my wedding ring was stolen, I was able to get the stuff back without having to pay at all. Again, that was Gold and Pawn. All I did was give the person's name, described the ring and they told me to have the cops come get it.
Tasha

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Thanks for actually answering my questions!
Zaphod Is An Idiot

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say you could? I NEVER said she could or should sue, I said contact the police and see if there are any loop holes that could get the property classified as stolen and even at that I told her to contact the police because I WASN'T SURE WHAT THE LAWS WERE REGARDING THAT ISSUE.

First you can't comprehend what has been written, now you're seeing things that aren't even in there. Get off topix and go work on your reading skills.
Zaphod

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

<quoted text>Where did I say you could? I NEVER said she could or should sue, I said contact the police and see if there are any loop holes that could get the property classified as stolen and even at that I told her to contact the police because I WASN'T SURE WHAT THE LAWS WERE REGARDING THAT ISSUE.

First you can't comprehend what has been written, now you're seeing things that aren't even in there. Get off topix and go work on your reading skills.
Ok then. You can't find loopholes regarding a spouse pawning shared property. It's an easy answer to a stupid question either way.
hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

If you can catch it at the right time you can let the items default and then out them in layaway at the shop and make payments on them that way. Most pawn shops offer layaway programs and would allow you to make smaller payments ont he items to keep them safe.
1 post removed
wait1sec

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry Charlie. You can't sue a spouse for pawning shared property.
I saw it on Judge Judy once :p

Level 9

Since: Aug 11

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Tasha wrote:
Um, I have a job? Perhaps I wasn't clear: I'm going to have to save for a little while to be able to get everything, what can I do to work with the pawn shop in the meantime so that things don't get sold? I don't have all the pawn tickets and since we're married the things he pawned can't be classified as stolen.
Yes thay can .,
Doesnt buy the BS

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

My first call would be to the police. There's a good chance they can help. I would not take a friends word that the items can't be reported as stolen.
I'm willing to bet they can be.
Happy Here

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

I agree, talk to the police first, you never know.

If that does not work, go talk to the pawn shop, explain what happened, most of these shops do NOT want your items, they already have enough stuff, more so after the holidays when everyone is hocking all that new junk they got for christmas.

If you explained what happened, they may work out a payment arrangement with you. I doubt they will just give you the stuff, but if you are nice, explain that you want to get everything back, but need time, they will likely allow you to pay the interest on the loan each month as you pay the value down with payments.
1 post removed
vegeta

Sweetwater, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the State, some states don't consider marriage assets as shared. Also, if your state coungs them as shared, if tbeh were aquired pre marriage, or it might require consent of both spouses to be sold or pawned.
Silent majority

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
Cliff Claven is wrong again!...lmao. Never gets old pal.
Derper

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Not positive, but I THINK that items that you owned BEFORE marriage are not "joint property". So yes, they could be called stolen. Like if grandma left you jewelry in her will and you received it before marriage.

Not positive, but pretty sure about that. Good luck.
Level 3

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Simple. Make your payments. Frisk your husband.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hpd as lazy as the nodders 7 min tired 10
Dispatchers Say Man Stabbed Several Times In Hu... 11 min tina 1
Debate: Ferguson - Huntington, WV 20 min adam 194
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 30 min bacon hater 57,003
VA Medical Physician Sexual Assault & Harrasment 57 min toucher 9
jerome mcneely 1 hr Unhappy 4
Community church? evil?? 1 hr Concerned watcher 13
Cabell County Courthouse Girls 1 hr Not Hot But Ready 7
•••
•••
•••

Huntington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••