Up in smoke: East Buffet in Huntington Station

Aug 27, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newsday.com

Gourmands and gluttons will have to search elsewhere for the endless supper; East Buffet in Huntington closed due to a fire earlier this month.

Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Sep 9, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Sterling, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

Judged:

This is too sad, loved to go there whenever I got out to the island.......
Joey

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

Judged:

Just wish a few Bodega's would suffer the same fate!!!
Wayne

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

Judged:

It was one of our favorite places to eat at. Has anybody heard about them reopening? We are not from the neighborhood but it was always worth the drive from the South Shore to dine there.

“Yes, you can die of stupidity.”

Since: Nov 07

Huntington Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

Judged:

It's been renamed to "the Best Buffet," but I don't know when it's opening.
niso

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Wayne wrote:
It was one of our favorite places to eat at. Has anybody heard about them reopening? We are not from the neighborhood but it was always worth the drive from the South Shore to dine there.
MARCH 19 2009 THURSDAY
mike

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

Portabella wrote:
This is too sad, loved to go there whenever I got out to the island.......
On this day 3/19/09, The restaurant fomerly known as East Buffet has reopened under the name Best Buffet, let us rejoice...
mike

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

Let the gluttony begin.
Joey

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2009

Judged:

mike wrote:
<quoted text>On this day 3/19/09, The restaurant fomerly known as East Buffet has reopened under the name Best Buffet, let us rejoice...
What? No Bodega? End the Hate will be so sad!!!
DEE

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Judged:

Wayne wrote:
IT'S OPEN NOW....$26.99 DINNER....IT'S OK
DEE

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Judged:

It's open now.....called Best Buffet....Dinner is $26.99 it's ok.They need coupons for what you get
opening night and the food was all cold...i hope they get better
too fat

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Judged:

I don't know about this new place, or if it is the same (mean) owners, but if you people had a clue as to what the health Dept found at the old East Buffet you'd drive faster down rt. 110 when passing it....

ooffaah
Wayne

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

They reopened on March 19th and now call themselves the Best Buffet. One thing it's not, is the best buffet. It is now a below average Chinese buffet. We drove there from the South Shore yesterday and got suspicious when we saw the name change. Once inside you had to pay before you sat down. The food was nothing great and many of the dishes the East Buffet had are no longer available, such as: chicken terayaki, chicken in black bean sauce, filet mignon Chinese style and others, even the desserts changed. Many of the dishes aren't labeled and they have no liquor license. We won't be back. RIP East Buffet you were the best.
Joe

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Judged:

Wayne wrote:
East Buffet has reopened as Best Buffet and it has the same and better food! Better staff and the same great dishes!
Con

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Judged:

We went there last weekend and everything seemed pretty similar to before. Quality was still good, and the grilling stations along the wall were all there as before. A few dishes have been changed - shrimp "har gow" were swapped out for some fried shrimp ball thing; the cold tuna in the salad section was missing while there was a grilled tuna at the next table; there is now a dish with tofu and a bunch of different mushrooms that I liked. Pan-fried flounder was no longer breaded, which is good. Most dishes were labeled, but there were a bunch of labels of dishes that weren't there. The sushi/raw bar is still there with a different presentation, but I'm not enough of a sushi snob to say how it compares. I do like the hot sauce more now.

All the desserts that I remembered from before were still there, including their almond cookies and the fridge of dessert cups. I don't know about the liquor license, but soda is included in the cost now. I don't remember exactly how much we were paying at the end before the fire, so I'm not sure how the price compares. We did have to pay before the meal, which is a little weird.

Service was still good; food is replenished quickly. The carving guy was much less grumpy but that probably comes with starting a new job.
Shell

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Judged:

Save yourself the trip to Best Buffet (was East Buffet, back in business as "Best Buffet"). After you clear your lungs of the smoke still in the air from the fire, the food is not good at all. I was a regular at East and loved it, Best is not good. Owners don't seem to know how to run a restaurant, the food wasn't fresh and the gravy had dried up so they took a pail of water and poured some into each of the Italian food dishes. Not in the bottom of the chafing dish, right over the food. Nothing good, everything cold and old.
Con

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Judged:

@hate: Sorry, but I wouldn't say that it's anything like Ponderosa. There are some Italian and American dishes, but it's definitely focused on Chinese food.

These bad reviews are confusing to me; I wonder if it has something to do with whether you go on the weekend or weekdays? Maybe I'm less picky, but I still can't imagine any reasonable restaurant pouring water into the food. Everything was fresh and hot on Saturday.
Buffet Lover

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

I have not been there yet - East was the top buffet on LI for a long time - though very expensive.

A recent Newsday reviewer wrote that it was a mistake to have gone on a weeknight as the food was not kept moist and much was dried out.

I do intend to try it - but have wondered why it opened with no fanfare and no advertising - at least not in Nassau County?

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

This place is HORRIBLE, and if you people knew what goes on in the kitchen...

you want good Chinese buffet at half the price this dump charges?? check out Good Taste Buffet on Jericho in Commack, very nice people working there and the food is fresh and good.

BEST buffet should change their name to WORST buffet,

PLUS, they STEAL the waiters' tips, STILL.
Best Buffet not at all

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

Front of house staff still the same. Bus/wait staff all different. Food is mostly the same but so much of it is cold. Crab legs are out of this world.Huge sweet and one of the few things that are hot. Price is higher and not worth it unless your hitting the place for unlimited seafood, raw bar is also top of the line. Some of the sushi looked suspicious dry around the edges. Also grilled beef was cold and its sitting on a hot tray? Strange been there twice since it reopened same both times dont think it will make it as soon as the dept of health hits the place for all the temp problems. EAST was BEST.
too fat

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

This place is HORRIBLE, and if you people knew what goes on in the kitchen...
you want good Chinese buffet at half the price this dump charges?? check out Good Taste Buffet on Jericho in Commack, very nice people working there and the food is fresh and good.
BEST buffet should change their name to WORST buffet,
PLUS, they STEAL the waiters' tips, STILL.
i agree 100% and Good Taste buffet in Commack is very, very good, and not expensive

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Huntington Station News Video

•••
•••

Huntington Station Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Huntington Station People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE