Olde Freehold Day to Make a Return

Apr 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

Showers. Breezy with highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds around 20 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.

Comments
1 - 20 of 74 Comments Last updated Sep 21, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
David Duke

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2011

Judged:

Get your sheets out and get ready for a good ole boys rally at the lake.
Turd Miller

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Ted, you relly are a sick f*ck. Get some help, dude!
Dukey

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

You mean like the time you punched your own jeep window out because you were pissed that a Mexican guy had a parking spot? I think you should put YOUR sheet on. It belongs well with the FV crowd.
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

i am against the name "olde freehold day" because it suggests a time when freehold practised segregation and bigotry openly.. do we really want to be reminded of this awful time in freehold's history.. that is what this name olde freehold day reminds me of.. why cant it be named just "old freehold day or something else that is not so negative.. if we celebrate "olde freehold day" i have no other recourse but to picket and to remind how freehold was and perhaps still is.. i wish that freehold would come into the 21st century and get past the ideas of segregation, bigotry and harassment..........
New Freehold

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Tom is right. Old Freehold is not a good thing and there is still racist attitudes running the town. How much of Freehold will really be represented at the festival? Latino's are now the largest group. Will that festival rightly show that?
shelly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

Tom is right. This puts Freehold in poor light and sends the wrong message.
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

thanks to all of the folks that agree with me.. i also respect the opinions of the people that do not agree with me.. i just wish that there are more people like shelly and new freehold in this community that are fair minded and wish to leave a shameful time in our community where it is, in the past.. i only hope that someday people like councilman kane and others like him wake up and face the fact that segregation and bigotry are ugly and yes, illegal.. celebrating "olde freehold day" is something that should not be done......
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

i went to the council meeting this past monday.. i again brought up my objections regarding celebrating olde freehold day.. i also questioned why the boro residents are receiving a tax hike when the budget is supposedly staying flat.. it is interesting the surronding cities are not having their real estate taxes increased.. mayor wilson told me he would not dignify my questions with any type of answer and advised all of the council members not to answer me also.. i feel that these are legitimate concerns and should have received some sort of answer.. this is typical "bring it on" wilson.. i am so very glad that this arrogant man is not running for reelection..... jan. l cannot come fast enough for me...
was there

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2011

Judged:

Mr. Baldwin I was at the council meeting. Your statement that other towns not having tax increses is false. Most Monmouth Co. towns are seeing increses in taxes thanks to Christy's cutbacks of state aid over the last two years. I also listened to your hateful, racist bigoted comments regarding Freehold and Old Freehold Day. I applaud the Mayor stating that your'e questions were not worthy of an answer. Keep up thegood work!
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

was there

thank you for your comments, at least you had the courage to comment. about the tax increases, i repeat that the towns in our area have not increased taxes.. about my "hateful, racist and bigoted" remarks.. apparently, you do not know or deny the history of freehold.. all of the remarks i have said about freehold's old history and recent history are true, no matter how you and people like you deny it or want to hide it.. as late as 2004, this city tried to deny some of our residents their civil rights, and the people that tried to help them were harassed by the police dept and code enforcement. i was one of them and so was my wife.. i can back up every statement that i made.. my remarks may not be popular, but they are true.. i realize that the past cannot be changed.. i just want this town to move ahead and not celebrate the ugly past.. unless you have experienced segregation, hate and bigotry, you are not qualified to judge me and my thought processes.. continue to keep your head in the sand
come on now

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Mr Baldwin,

With all due respect, I appreciate your thoughts and respect them. I do agree unless you have lived through harassment or hatred you can not understand it. With all that being said, almost all RACES in America have dealt with these situations. Not only African Americans but Irish, Italian, Spanish, the list goes on and on!

I agree that Olde Freehold wasn't a perfect place, yet either was Olde America. Sadly, we must reflect on our past with pride and sadness! Anyone who has been oppressed is sad! Freehold has and probably will always be a Melting pot! I think we as a town, have made great strides forward. We have had elected officials from all walks of life, religious and ethnic. Sure Freehold isnt perfect but we had a council president last year and a re-elected official that is African American.

With all that being said, instead of putting Freehold down like you often do, why not praise it for its growth. Sure, we still need to fix some areas but we have come a long way! Racism is NEVER ok, and shouldn't be forgotten, but how do we move forward if you cant let it go. Your oppressing people for acts that they had nothing to do with, these people are long gone, dead!

Lets embrace Freehold, wither the day is called olde or new, stop the hate and move forward sir!
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Judged:

come on now

i thank you also for your comments, which i feel were well thought out and concilitiory. i do agree that the past should be forgotten, and i also agree that many groups of people have suffered in this country before being fully accepted. that is exactly my point. i cannot understand why my comments are considered hateful or otherwise. they are certainly not intended to be so. i do not agree also that freehold has made great strides.. my group had to sue the town government in federal court for violating civil rights and harassment in 2004. as far as electing a afro american to the town council, that was a giant step, but i have also to add that when the mayor had a chance to appoint a councilman, he chose a man that founded the "people group" and who also was criticized and had to apologize publicy for remarks he made about the latino population.. this is what i mean by the term, "olde freehold days" which to me is a reminder of a very sad time in freehold history.. this is what i want left in the past.

i thank you again for your remarks.. they sound like a voice of reason.. i wish i could agree with everything you said, but i feel that there is room for us to meet in the middle......tom baldwin
Bernice

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

Mr Baldwin, with all due respect, you shouldn't be too proud of you having to "sue the town government in federal court." Your actions took away money from hardworking citizens in town, who now have to pay higher taxes, because of the lawsuit. If anyone should have to publicly apologize, it should be you. You are certainly no hero. And after all, you are a traitor for defending people who don't have the right to live here over hardworking, tax-paying Freehold residents. You should be ashamed.
Jimmy

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

I agree with Bernice. You should be ashamed. Freehold will be a better place when you pass on, sorry to say. Your time has come.

The people you constantly bash, such as the mayor and councilman levine, have done wonderful things in town. Name one thing you've done sir. And you're older than the both of them. You seem to waste all of your energy on pointing out problems and criticizing others, instead of helping with solutions. No one needs that. We need positivity in this town.
come on now

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Jimmy that is a horrible statement. You should be ashamed and embarrassed by your remarks. You are typical freehold trash!

Mr Baldwin, i agree with the "comments" made by the founder of the "people" group, were wrong and after his last election, the people of Freehold spoke and knocked him right off his high horse!!

Mr baldwin, i have alot of respect for your views. Thank you for sharing them and I hope they change the name of olde freehold day!
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Bernice wrote:
Mr Baldwin, with all due respect, you shouldn't be too proud of you having to "sue the town government in federal court." Your actions took away money from hardworking citizens in town, who now have to pay higher taxes, because of the lawsuit. If anyone should have to publicly apologize, it should be you. You are certainly no hero. And after all, you are a traitor for defending people who don't have the right to live here over hardworking, tax-paying Freehold residents. You should be ashamed.
bernice

i am sorry to have had to be a part of the lawsuit that sued the city, i am not sorry that i was a part of the lawsuit that sued the town government for violating civil rights.. of course, i am not any kind of hero and never claimed to be.. your call me a traitor.. i reject that..a traitor does not volunteer to go to war to try to help protect his country and citizens like yourself that will attack someone that has tried to help people less fortunate then myself.. i guess you would call me a traitor because i violated the laws of segregation and bigotry..i will never ever apologize to someone like you.. who the ---- do you think you are?
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Jimmy wrote:
I agree with Bernice. You should be ashamed. Freehold will be a better place when you pass on, sorry to say. Your time has come.
The people you constantly bash, such as the mayor and councilman levine, have done wonderful things in town. Name one thing you've done sir. And you're older than the both of them. You seem to waste all of your energy on pointing out problems and criticizing others, instead of helping with solutions. No one needs that. We need positivity in this town.
jimmy
thank you for your hateful remarks. keep them coming, so other people in this town understands that there are many other people like yourself here that have a lot of hatred.. as far as levine and wilson are concerned, true they have done things that have benefitted the city and especially in mr. levine's case, however, sad to say both mr. levine and mayor wilson have done many things which are well documented to hurt a lot of people in this city, including myself and my family.. i will continue to voice my opinions concerning anything i feel like.. i have earned this right and no one like will ever stop me.. i do not have to put up with the hatred and bigotry that a lot of people show in this city. what have i done for this city??? i pay my taxes
tom baldwin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

come on now wrote:
Jimmy that is a horrible statement. You should be ashamed and embarrassed by your remarks. You are typical freehold trash!
Mr Baldwin, i agree with the "comments" made by the founder of the "people" group, were wrong and after his last election, the people of Freehold spoke and knocked him right off his high horse!!
Mr baldwin, i have alot of respect for your views. Thank you for sharing them and I hope they change the name of olde freehold day!
thank you for your kind words of encouragement.. you know, sometimes i feel like i am swimming against the current all the time and sometimes, i get very discouraged.. i cannot understand why there are so many people in this world that are ready to embrace hatered for other people that are not in their inner circle and are willing to bash people for expressing views that do not agree with theirs.. words of encouragement are very helpful and keeps me going.. i just hope that one day before i die that i do not have to oppose the hateful views of others. i wish i could ignore these views, but my dna wont allow me to........
come on now

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

why has this become a bash Mr Baldwin session? He is speaking his mind, backing it up with proof and facts and still there is so much hate!

Mr Baldwin, hats off to you! Your right, Jimmy is the exact kind of person that makes me sad to be a member of the Freehold Community. I embrace people based on there actions and character, not color or religous belief!
anonymous

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Really now this has gone far enough. Tom, I understand your feelings and am really sorry you had to endure such evil acts of hate just because of your skin color. What's done in town was done let's all move on. Any day can be our last

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Howell Discussions

Search the Howell Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Weird NJ: The lost - Jersey Jungle' is foundWei... Sun Horace 1
Review: Kumon of Howell Jul 24 LaraCroft 4
Review: Ilease Auto Group (Aug '13) Jul 18 mordechai 3
Howell implements energy aggregation program, m... Jul 15 NJRetiree 1
Moped crew Jul 14 Buda10 1
Pro Wrestling Fundraiser in Jackson on July 19th Jul 7 Coastal Pro Wrestling 1
Review: MIZ Construction (Apr '13) Jul 4 Sub 3
•••
•••