Where to next? Ukiah Unified ponders its options for new district o...

During heated Ukiah Unified School District board meetings, the boardroom can be quite stuffy and cramped, and parking is always an issue with cars pouring down Brush Street. Full Story
Concerned tax payer

Coalinga, CA

#1 Aug 19, 2010
Why does the office have to be central to anything, and why do we need so much space for bureaucrats to sit, or someone to call substitute teachers? There is already a duplication of services carried out by the county office of education. How about consolidating services and move UUSD bureaucrats out to MCOE's buildings. If a big meeting place is needed, then go to one of the gyms at the many schools in the district.
More teachers and materials for our schools is what is needed, not a useless building.
TangentToWhat

Covelo, CA

#2 Aug 19, 2010
Precisely
monkey boy

Fort Bragg, CA

#3 Aug 19, 2010
"Stuffy and cramped" seems like the perfect location for a group of idiots to meet.
greenmom

Fort Bragg, CA

#4 Aug 19, 2010
Concerned tax payer wrote:
Why does the office have to be central to anything, and why do we need so much space for bureaucrats to sit, or someone to call substitute teachers? There is already a duplication of services carried out by the county office of education. How about consolidating services and move UUSD bureaucrats out to MCOE's buildings. If a big meeting place is needed, then go to one of the gyms at the many schools in the district.
More teachers and materials for our schools is what is needed, not a useless building.
I wish you'd run for the school board.
Haiku Girl

Mill Valley, CA

#5 Aug 19, 2010
That is like saying The City of Ukiah duplicates the services of The County of Mendocino.

Ukiah Unified is responsible for a very specific group of children and ideally it should be in a location that is central to the students it serves.

Apparently none of you have attended a school board meeting or even gone in Ukiah Unified' office. It has been too small for years. The district serves 6,300 students. The board's meeting area only holds 50 people total. It is totally inadequate.

I agree our students need to be a priority. Redevelopment money however, cannot go toward hiring teachers.
Mike-Lakeport

Oakland, CA

#6 Aug 19, 2010
Return the money to the redevelopment agency. It might come in handy down the road for something you really need. You say the office is stuffy and cramped. Install a small air conditioning system to cure the stuffiness and put everyone on a weight loss program to relieve the cramps. See how easy and uncomplicated it is to save money?
Disappointed

Jackson St Forest, CA

#7 Aug 19, 2010
No matter what happens, I hope Nash will be gone by then, if not sooner. Time for new leadership. Four years of her dictatorship has been long enough. I hope a school board member is reading this.
why not share

Fort Bragg, CA

#8 Aug 19, 2010
Why doesn't Ukiah Unified approach MCOE for some office space at one of the various facilities that MCOE holds...
They could also use MCOE's board room with a little cooperation...
Or is that too much like either common sense, or infringing on King Paul's turf at MCOE?
No new digs

West Tehama County, CA

#9 Aug 19, 2010
I think that the money that they want to spend on this new facility needs to be instead spent on our children. The school district can make its cut right here and make due. Our kids should not suffer because a few district employees dont like the size of their office.
brilliant

San Jose, CA

#10 Aug 19, 2010
No new digs wrote:
I think that the money that they want to spend on this new facility needs to be instead spent on our children. The school district can make its cut right here and make due. Our kids should not suffer because a few district employees dont like the size of their office.
Please, go back and reread the article. This money cannot be spent on anything but redevelopment, thank the bigger bureaucrats for that...
Concerned tax payer

United States

#11 Aug 19, 2010
greenmom wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you'd run for the school board.
I would love to run for the school board, but the long term board members are intractable. If you read the DAIT report at UUSD website, the evaluation clearly describes problems at the district that have been in place for more years than the new superintendent has been on the job.

It is time to elect board members who are educators, and time for parents to be more involved with their child's education at home, at school, and in the community.

Board members who are not educated and not monitored by parents will do what they have been doing-nothing.
Hank R

Redwood Valley, CA

#12 Aug 19, 2010
Haiku Girl wrote:
That is like saying The City of Ukiah duplicates the services of The County of Mendocino.
Ukiah Unified is responsible for a very specific group of children and ideally it should be in a location that is central to the students it serves.
Apparently none of you have attended a school board meeting or even gone in Ukiah Unified' office. It has been too small for years. The district serves 6,300 students. The board's meeting area only holds 50 people total. It is totally inadequate.
I agree our students need to be a priority. Redevelopment money however, cannot go toward hiring teachers.
I have been to board meetings and for meetings so few people attend that you could swing a cat by the tail and not hit anyone. Unless teachers job are on the line people don't go to the meetings.

50 staff is too many. The problem is not that the building is too small; it is that staff is too big. If the space is too small for board meetings hold the board meetings in a larger venue. Say a school gym. We have a few in town.

The student population in UUSD is shrinking at the same time staff is expanding. The problem is that without jobs for young working families the school population will continue to shrink. In five years they could move the office to Nokomas and have plenty of room to bloat up staff positions.
If Only

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Aug 19, 2010
The district offices should stay right where they are, if they need a better meeting room, ask the city if they can use the council chambers or use the COC meeting room.

Then return the 2 mil to the RDA.
If Only

Santa Clara, CA

#14 Aug 19, 2010
Even better....Let them work in portables like the students.
We could make a deal and put them out in the old Masonite parking lot.
Why build

Santa Rosa, CA

#15 Aug 19, 2010
What about using the Redwood Valley Elementary School? It is empty and has PLENTY of room. It my not be central but it is not that far from Ukiah. Don't spend the money if we don't have to!
threechars

Ukiah, CA

#16 Aug 19, 2010
If Only wrote:
Even better....Let them work in portables like the students.
We could make a deal and put them out in the old Masonite parking lot.
Fun fact: there IS a portable at the current DO.
TangentToWhat

Covelo, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2010
Just one solution. A proposition on the ballot that allows lawsuits against bureaucrats PERSONALLY. Just watch the attitudes change.
Go away

Fort Bragg, CA

#18 Aug 20, 2010
Fire Nash. That will solve many of UUSD's problems.
Concerned tax payer

United States

#19 Aug 20, 2010
Firing Dr. Nash is not the solution. Instead, recall school board members who can be identified by reading the findings of the DAIT report that is posted on UUSD’s website, and insist that school administrators have at least a Master's in Education.

The problems delineated in the report have been problems for years and have not been adequately handled by the school board. Those board members need to go.

Most if not all administrators only have bachelor degrees, and completed an administrator course at Sonoma State or Humboldt state. Someone with at least a Master’s degree has conducted basic research and written a thesis attesting to that fact. These folks at least can read the research and have a general idea of how to be an educated administrator, and not someone who just is repeating what the previous principal did.

Dr. Nash has completed a Doctorate in Education, which is more than the county superintendent of schools has.
threechars

United States

#20 Aug 20, 2010
Note: The district owns the building and property that the current district office is on. If the district were to HYPOTHETICALLY take this development money and HYPOTHETICALLY build a new office, they could HYPOTHETICALLY sell the building/lot that the current office is on, and HYPOTHETICALLY come out ahead, and HYPOTHETICALLY have a chunk of money that isn't specifically earmarked for any one thing. So, HYPOTHETICALLY the district could come out ahead and HYPOTHETICALLY have a chunk of HYPOTHETICAL money that could HYPOTHETICALLY be put to good use. In anticipation of people saying 'they wont get much money in the poor economy', consider this: If you were hard-up like the district is, when there's no room in the budget for pencils, would you hold out for 'top dollar'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hopland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legionnaires disease hotline for those who stay... 4 hr the fearless spec... 81
Child molester sentenced (Mar '10) 18 hr iamthechild 29
Palace Hotel owner given more time 23 hr Here Is One 16
oslama wants more ebola in the USA Thu Both ways one 6
Ukiah police and fire log: Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014 Thu Here Is One 1
Ukiah police and fire log: Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014 Tue Here Is One 1
Homeless shelter closes in Ukiah Oct 21 Here Is One 13

Hopland News Video

Hopland Dating
Find my Match

Hopland Jobs

Hopland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hopland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hopland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]