|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Judged:

http://www.google.com/search...

There has been a lot of talk around campus about 20 minute evictions. Somebody said that that this happened to their grandparents, then somebody said that it happened to their Auntie.

As I go out on the weekends, I overhear occasional conversations about how it happened to their best friend, a co-worker and so on.
What is going on here? is this some kind of urban legend? I don't think that it is.

So I Googled the information to see what I would come up. It appears that it happens a lot. Number seven down the list there were some that happened right here in Hawaii.

Has anybody else heard about this? why isn't somebody doing something about it?

“Pehea 'oe”

Since: Dec 11

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Not Urban Legend wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?q =20+minute+evictions&ie=ut f-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t& rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official &client=firefox-a
There has been a lot of talk around campus about 20 minute evictions. Somebody said that that this happened to their grandparents, then somebody said that it happened to their Auntie.
As I go out on the weekends, I overhear occasional conversations about how it happened to their best friend, a co-worker and so on.
What is going on here? is this some kind of urban legend? I don't think that it is.
So I Googled the information to see what I would come up. It appears that it happens a lot. Number seven down the list there were some that happened right here in Hawaii.
Maybe it's in the rental agreement where the owner does have this right?
leeward lolo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Judged:

Eviction not possible without court appearances. Sheriff does not evict people just because someone asks him/her to.

This one story about the people who abandoned their beloved pets has been around for years.
ONE STORY.
Magnum PI

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Not Urban Legend wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?q =20+minute+evictions&ie=ut f-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t& rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official &client=firefox-a
It's really funny that you brought this up. If you saw the "Raid Style Forced Evictions in Hawaii" thread posted here, you'll see where I was answering questions about this very thing to posters who were asking about it.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/honolulu-hi/T...

I have heard of select cases of the so called 20-minute eviction, usually it's used with misrepresentation by the land owner.

It's history goes back to the plantation days when the plantation owners would run the workers off the farm to keep from paying the workers.

In Hawaii, the same thing applies today. However the landlords use the old approach to collect the past due rent with seizure of any merchandise left on the premises. The renters of course have no time to collect all of their belongings with such short notice.

I don't remember the exact code number or section but the sheriff who is a public servant takes payment for the action.

Refer to the Hawaii tenant landlord code section or try to google old Hawaii laws still on the books. I'm guessing a little bit, but I believe I've heard some discussion regarding this. Good luck.
Magnum PI

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

leeward lolo wrote:
Eviction not possible without court appearances. Sheriff does not evict people just because someone asks him/her to.
This one story about the people who abandoned their beloved pets has been around for years.
ONE STORY.
I'de say anything could be possible. Many actions have been taken without court appearances.
Is it legal? maybe it is, maybe it's not. It could depend on the law of the area, state, county or city.
Is it moral? definitely not. Would a private eye do it? never. Would a bounty hunter do it? If the price was right and he was a good trickster maybe.
Magnum PI

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Nimitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's in the rental agreement where the owner does have this right?
It could be in the fine print. It could be that it's how they get around the three or five day to vacate the premises posting laws.
But it wouldn't explain sublets by homeowners who get foreclosed on, the renter had nothing to do with the agreement if they were a third party.

So is it 20 minute evictions by banks to owners who rent their houses? or is it 20 minute evictions by landlords directly? there's probably at least a couple of different scenarios here.
leeward lolo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

Magnum PI wrote:
<quoted text>It could be in the fine print. It could be that it's how they get around the three or five day to vacate the premises posting laws.
But it wouldn't explain sublets by homeowners who get foreclosed on, the renter had nothing to do with the agreement if they were a third party.
So is it 20 minute evictions by banks to owners who rent their houses? or is it 20 minute evictions by landlords directly? there's probably at least a couple of different scenarios here.
This story has been circulating for years but nobody has come forward and said it happened to them.
Watch them crawl out of the walls now with more made up stories. lol

[But it wouldn't explain sublets by homeowners who get foreclosed on, the renter had nothing to do with the agreement if they were a third party.]

In one foreclosure I observed notices were posted on the doors and residents were contacted by phone and granted extra time to vacate if they promised not to trash the property.
Crackhead Obama

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

leeward lolo wrote:
<quoted text>
In one foreclosure I observed notices were posted on the doors and residents were contacted by phone and granted extra time to vacate if they promised not to trash the property.
Excatly Lolo. I've never seen one done any other way. One family was evicted in just this way, given plenty of time. To pay the landlord back for his kindness, the tenants flushed coiled stainless-steel wire down the main sewer drain, dropped screws down the tub drains, pounded tree branches into the water pipes, flushed make-up compacts down the toilets, disconnected outlets and wires in the panel, and removed the guts from the oven. Blatant time-bomb sabotage that took a full two years to find and repair. I know because I did the work. The owner was so disgusted that I finally bought the home for a lot less than value, and still rent it out to this day. The owner had ten other homes rented out, and she learned a good lesson about profiling.
candice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

Crackhead Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Excatly Lolo. I've never seen one done any other way. One family was evicted in just this way, given plenty of time. To pay the landlord back for his kindness, the tenants flushed coiled stainless-steel wire down the main sewer drain, dropped screws down the tub drains, pounded tree branches into the water pipes, flushed make-up compacts down the toilets, disconnected outlets and wires in the panel, and removed the guts from the oven. Blatant time-bomb sabotage that took a full two years to find and repair. I know because I did the work. The owner was so disgusted that I finally bought the home for a lot less than value, and still rent it out to this day. The owner had ten other homes rented out, and she learned a good lesson about profiling.
2 years to repair this sabotaged rental and you did the work? The bill was so big she had to sell it to pay you and you are the buyer. I hope you are not in business anymore because your a rip off contractor that needs to be put out of business. Your story is so unbelievable I really hope this did not happen.
leeward lolo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

It also happened to me. After months sitting empty new people came along and fixed it up and are now living there happy as can be. I paid for materials and they got a few months free rent.

I have heard stories of living room floors being removed and a hole dug in which to cook.
Crackhead Obama

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

candice wrote:
<quoted text> 2 years to repair this sabotaged rental and you did the work? The bill was so big she had to sell it to pay you and you are the buyer. I hope you are not in business anymore because your a rip off contractor that needs to be put out of business. Your story is so unbelievable I really hope this did not happen.
Harry, you MORON, the sabotage was discovered over time, as it took effect. You're such an idiot when it comes down to it. Who borescopes their sewer line or removes showerheads to check to see if they've had tree branches pounded up them? How do you tell if screws are dumped in your drains until they start backing up? How do you tell is your electrical is wired to cause a fire in the wall? How do you fix a toilet line before it clogs up? You're a real dim bulb, I gotta say. Just be happy I was able to find and fix it all and make it profitable, I know you are.
Tiki

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Judged:

Not Urban Legend wrote:
The 20 minute evictions are real in Hawaii and it's very unfortunate, because they do a great job of covering it up. It's not going to change until our lands are taken back.
Crackhead Obama

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Judged:

Tiki wrote:
<quoted text>The 20 minute evictions are real in Hawaii and it's very unfortunate, because they do a great job of covering it up. It's not going to change until our lands are taken back.
Who are you taking the land from? Not me, I won't let you. Can you give any credible evidence of a twenty minute eviction? I'd really like to look into it. So far all's I've seen are bullshyt stories about it.
Patriot

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Crackhead Obama wrote:
<quoted text> Who are you taking the land from? Not me, I won't let you. Can you give any credible evidence of a twenty minute eviction? I'd really like to look into it. So far all's I've seen are bullshyt stories about it.
I'de agree with that poster about the 20 minute eviction part, maybe not the other. It's on this video link here.

http://www.foreclosurefish.com/blog/index.php...

During the boom years, thousands of people were moving into the area every month. Now, with the collapse of the economy, just the opposite is the case, with thousands moving out before they are evicted from rentals or foreclosed homes.

The most disturbing part of the above video, though, is the so-called "immediate eviction" of the family of renters, who were given no notice that they were to be removed from the property.

The former homeowner did not tell them the house had been lost to foreclosure, the new bank owner did not inform them, and the county sheriff's office itself did not post a notice on the house days before announcing the eviction.
Harrys my bitch

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
The former homeowner did not tell them the house had been lost to foreclosure, the new bank owner did not inform them, and the county sheriff's office itself did not post a notice on the house days before announcing the eviction.
The owner might not even have known about the foreclosure and eviction. That is exactly what happened to a relative of mine almost a year ago. He owned a home in Phoenix, but he rented it out and was living in Honolulu. He got notice that his house had been foreclosed, and a contact number. His payments were only missed because the property management company was stealing the rent money instead of paying the mortgage. He was referred to a law firm that told him he had to come up with $14,000 in legal fees, etc, to get his house back, so so much for that. Now, this past week he's received a letter saying the whole affair was a scam by a number of entities, I don't know who, and now he may get his house back. I sure hope somebody goes to jail over this. Botton line, he NEVER EVEN KNEW about the tenanats being evicted.
RA agent

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Harrys my bitch wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner might not even have known about the foreclosure and eviction. That is exactly what happened to a relative of mine almost a year ago. He owned a home in Phoenix, but he rented it out and was living in Honolulu. He got notice that his house had been foreclosed, and a contact number. His payments were only missed because the property management company was stealing the rent money instead of paying the mortgage. He was referred to a law firm that told him he had to come up with $14,000 in legal fees, etc, to get his house back, so so much for that. Now, this past week he's received a letter saying the whole affair was a scam by a number of entities, I don't know who, and now he may get his house back. I sure hope somebody goes to jail over this. Botton line, he NEVER EVEN KNEW about the tenanats being evicted.
All 50 states that license professions will provide FREE a attorney in cases like this. Like contractors, or any business that requires a state issued licence part of the licensee yearly fees goes towards legal representation where the victim is scammed by a licensed agent. First of all the mortgage holders would've notified the owner on the first missed payment. If this agent was stealing funds from a absentee home owner he would be prosecuted to the hilt by the states prosecuter who would stop the mortgage companies foreclosure proceedings. Please stop posting bogus stories that you have conviently made up to fit the title of the thread. You have done this throughout this eviction issue and have been corrected many times by people that know better.
Slum Whoares

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Harrys my bitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! never even knew that Lani Properties managed properties in Phoenix. I appreciate the posting about it and I'll be sure to warn the posters on the threads over there about it. Thanks!
Jack Meoff

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Slum Whoares wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! never even knew that Lani Properties managed properties in Phoenix. I appreciate the posting about it and I'll be sure to warn the posters on the threads over there about it. Thanks!
Why don't you verify if it's true before you make a fool of yourself?
Slum Whoares

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

RA agent wrote:
<quoted text> All 50 states that license professions will provide FREE a attorney in cases like this. Like contractors, or any business that requires a state issued licence part of the licensee yearly fees goes towards legal representation where the victim is scammed by a licensed agent. First of all the mortgage holders would've notified the owner on the first missed payment. If this agent was stealing funds from a absentee home owner he would be prosecuted to the hilt by the states prosecuter who would stop the mortgage companies foreclosure proceedings. Please stop posting bogus stories that you have conviently made up to fit the title of the thread. You have done this throughout this eviction issue and have been corrected many times by people that know better.
Ide have to disagree and believe the poster is correct.
Mortgage companies were ripping people off big time and many got away with it.
How did couples earning below $30,000 for the two afford $600,000 houses? it's because the qualifications were falsified by the lenders.

There were many cases that when the three year variable rates changed, these ignorant and greedy borrowers got slammed with payments way beyond what they could afford, maybe two to three times more after the three year limit came due.

As far as renters who were unfortunate enough to rent from the homeowner fools who didn't do their research, they became the ones who got the 20 minute evictions.

Knock knock, your crap is being stolen and your pets will die! get the hell out before you get arrested for trespassing. The rest is history. The people who do these evictions should be put behind bars and throw away the keys.
Jack Meoff

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Jack Meoff wrote:
<quoted text> Why don't you verify if it's true before you make a fool of yourself?
Why don't you shut up and pound sand. Don't talk to your twin brother that way.

No I don't quit changing my IP address and I don't live in Waianae.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Honolulu Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Honolulu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••