United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

----------

I've always used Frontline for my dogs. But, this year, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm having a horrible time with fleas. There's a new once a month pill that is out now, called "Comfortis". It's suppose to kill the fleas on your dog within 30 minutes, and then keep fleas off them for 30 days. A vet recommended it....so I bought a months supply for my dogs to try it.

UGH!!! Within 45 minutes of giving it to all of them....3 of them threw up all over my carpet. The fourth one, didn't throw it up. But was sick, and I mean SICK....for two days! She wouldn't eat, drink, and was listless. She didn't even want to get up to go outside to potty. And, YES....they still have fleas! This stuff wasn't cheap.

Now, they tell me, "it seems that a lot of dogs are having an allergic reaction to this new pill." Why didn't they tell me that BEFORE???

Apparently, the makers of Frontline, ommitted an ingredient in the product, because it was getting too costly to make. So, it's not as effective as it used to be.

If anyone else is using Frontline, and having problems with it, I'm told to switch to the Advantix, if you are wanting to continue with a topical flea control product. Just DON'T get the Comfortis flea pill, it's HORRIBLE and EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing works

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Girly wrote:
----------
I've always used Frontline for my dogs. But, this year, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm having a horrible time with fleas. There's a new once a month pill that is out now, called "Comfortis". It's suppose to kill the fleas on your dog within 30 minutes, and then keep fleas off them for 30 days. A vet recommended it....so I bought a months supply for my dogs to try it.
UGH!!! Within 45 minutes of giving it to all of them....3 of them threw up all over my carpet. The fourth one, didn't throw it up. But was sick, and I mean SICK....for two days! She wouldn't eat, drink, and was listless. She didn't even want to get up to go outside to potty. And, YES....they still have fleas! This stuff wasn't cheap.
Now, they tell me, "it seems that a lot of dogs are having an allergic reaction to this new pill." Why didn't they tell me that BEFORE???
Apparently, the makers of Frontline, ommitted an ingredient in the product, because it was getting too costly to make. So, it's not as effective as it used to be.
If anyone else is using Frontline, and having problems with it, I'm told to switch to the Advantix, if you are wanting to continue with a topical flea control product. Just DON'T get the Comfortis flea pill, it's HORRIBLE and EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!
I have used Pill, Front Line, Advantixand all kinds of sprays, Nothing has worked. I have been giving them a bath, usin DAWN dish washing liquid. It kills fleas on contact. I also heard ,if you go over your floors with Pineso, it would help. If any more suggestions, please post. THANKS
Girly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

I have been told that spreading Boraxo on the carpet and waiting a few minutes before vaccuming it up helps. I tried it once a few years ago and didn't see much difference, but other people say it works.
No Problems

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

I have used Frontline Plus for several years and the last three years have seen the fleas back within 2 weeks of using it. I switched to Comfortis 3 months ago with my two small dogs (one is 11 years old and the other is 14) and have had no problems with allergic reactions, sickness, nor have I seen any fleas. It has worked great for us.
Gossips

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Our dog usually doesn't get fleas even as an outside dog. But this year she has had a few. Has anyone else noticed more fleas this year?
Lets Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Yea BIG problem here. Frontline not working this year at all.
Info

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Lets start with the flea problem... Fleas are a HUGE problem in West Virginia this year. A lot worse then the prev. years! The best thing to do is not only treat all of your animals every month, but to treat your house and your yard. One thing to remember is Frontline is not a repellent, meaning that the fleas can still jump in your animals. However, when the fleas jump on your animals, then they will die. You may still see fleas on your animals, but they will die if you are using Frontline every 30 days. I would recommend giving the flea infested animal a capstar which will kill all the fleas in less than 30 minutes, then applying a fronline. This will help. If you still do not think that the frontline is not working, then use the capstar to kill the fleas and then use Advantage. A lot of people find that it is better to switch from Frontline and then back to Advantage every month. That seems to work for the flea problem too! Treat yard, house and animals (every 30 days) to get rid of a flea infestion. Regular plain jane Dawn dishing liquid works to kill fleas on animals as well. Bath the animal in it and let it set for 5 minutes! If you do not think that you have fleas in your house take some plain jane blue dawn dishing liquid and mix it with a litte water in a litte bowl, then put it under a night light in the floor, the fleas will jump towards the light and then fall in the bowl of dawn. This will kill the fleas and let you know exactly how bad of a flea infestion you have! Just some advice!
Gossips

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Info wrote:
Lets start with the flea problem... Fleas are a HUGE problem in West Virginia this year. A lot worse then the prev. years! The best thing to do is not only treat all of your animals every month, but to treat your house and your yard. One thing to remember is Frontline is not a repellent, meaning that the fleas can still jump in your animals. However, when the fleas jump on your animals, then they will die. You may still see fleas on your animals, but they will die if you are using Frontline every 30 days. I would recommend giving the flea infested animal a capstar which will kill all the fleas in less than 30 minutes, then applying a fronline. This will help. If you still do not think that the frontline is not working, then use the capstar to kill the fleas and then use Advantage. A lot of people find that it is better to switch from Frontline and then back to Advantage every month. That seems to work for the flea problem too! Treat yard, house and animals (every 30 days) to get rid of a flea infestion. Regular plain jane Dawn dishing liquid works to kill fleas on animals as well. Bath the animal in it and let it set for 5 minutes! If you do not think that you have fleas in your house take some plain jane blue dawn dishing liquid and mix it with a litte water in a litte bowl, then put it under a night light in the floor, the fleas will jump towards the light and then fall in the bowl of dawn. This will kill the fleas and let you know exactly how bad of a flea infestion you have! Just some advice!
Thanks for the info.I know that the fleas are attracted to heat, but I'd have never thought about the nightlight trick.
Maybe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

also to help get fleas out of your carpet, the dawn & nightlite trick works very well but i was told to also be sure & put your water & dawn in a white plate or whatever container u use, make sure its white (i found a regular dinner plate works better i guess cause of a bigger space & being lower to the ground). They are attracted to white & this means u can leave it out during the day & u will kill them all day long as well.
Girly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2009

I wonder if you could put some Dawn in a carpet cleaning machine and clean the carpets with it and kill the fleas??
ME TOO

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2009

Yes it will. I put Dawn & water in a spray bottle, spray the carpet (& everything) just to damp and than vac it when dry. Also use moth balls in your vac, that why it will kill them & spiders too.
The flea problem has something to do with the weather we have had this year, do not know what, but something. Also do not forget to treat your yard. There is a dust you put down to kill fleas and other things.

Has anyone have problems with ticks this year?
Info

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2009

Ticks are bad this year as well. One problem with ticks is that they are carrying Lymes disease. I know of 2 cases of Lymes Disease in dogs and 1 case in a person. Please vaccinate your dog for Lymes as well!!
working like crazy

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2009

have you been to the vet and tried Advantage? Or if you know someone that sells avon,you can get the Skin So Soft bath oil and rub your dog down with that and it is suppose to kill fleas too, and alot of people have told me that it really does work.
Tried n true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2009

I'vetried the avon stuff & it seems all it does is make your dog oily and smell a little better. But it seems different things work for different animals so it maybe worth a try. Also there does seem to be a lot more ticks his year. Like someone said before, seems to me that switching from advantage and frontline each month seems to work a lot better. Also thanks for all the tips about dawn, the only thing i had tried was the white plate and it waorks great! You wont believe how many fleas u have n your carpet.
Fleas

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2009

working like crazy wrote:
have you been to the vet and tried Advantage? Or if you know someone that sells avon,you can get the Skin So Soft bath oil and rub your dog down with that and it is suppose to kill fleas too, and alot of people have told me that it really does work.
Advantage works really well for fleas. Switching from Advantage to frontline every month works really well. If you give a capstar then apply the advantage or frontline then that is a big help as well. I wouldn't recommend the Skin So Soft, all it does is make the dog extremely oily and greasy!
Pam G

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

My dog didnt used to get fleas until last year. She is 6. Then suddenly she started chewing herself on her back near her tail. She chewed the blood out of herself overnight. It was the size of a grapefruit. I took her to the vet & they said one flea could cause this, even though Id never seen one. They gave her a shot & Comfortis. Ive been giving her the Comfortis ever since. Yes, its a little expensive,$16 a month at my local vet, but its so worth it to keep her healthy. Her hair has grown back, she never digs or chews & takes the pill easily. Id recommend it to anyone. Of course ANY medication has a potential to cause an allergic reaction. Dogs, like people, are all different.
Need help

Lavalette, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

My dog has really dry skin and chews her tail-rubs against the fence and scratches her fur off. She really looks bad. I have bathed her in skin so soft-t-jel- oatmeal shampoo and nothing seems to help. Please any ideas will help. thanks
Hinton girl

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

I read a while back that one problem with all flea medicines is that they are made in China. There is a huge problem with counterfeit flea meds being brought into the country and sold as the real deal. It was on one of the news shows, I just don't recall which one. They did a simple study--bought flea meds from 25 vet offices--and the majority were fake.
I've tried Capstar and didn't see much of a difference. Dawn does work, but fleas do not die immediately from any water/soap combination. Instead, fleas are able to burrow their heads into the animal and live. You should rub you dog well to make them come loose. Also, make sure that you rinse your tub immediately, because the soap actually makes them shut down their metabolism for a while. This allows them to live and regain mobility later. WAsh them down the drain..immediately after moving the dog.
Flea eggs can live and hatch for extremely long periods of time. They are attracted to heat, such as the heat from a warm body. That triggers them to hatch and go searching for food. Those insect bombs work for your house. But you must remove all animals, including fish aquariums.
Hinton girl

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

Oh, and if you have a short haired dog, you can use a flea comb. They have them at the pet supply stores in Beckley. They look like the little combs that you see with lice kits, only they are for fleas. They make the fleas come loose from the skin and then you can wash them down the drain. Use them while you are washing you dog or cat.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Hinton Forum right now

Search the Hinton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 23 min Innocent Bystander 43,500
Elizabeth Yopp 2 hr OldBoyfriend 38
Should a child pass school if... 2 hr Teacher 7
No good 3 hr Neighborhoodwatch 4
drive by in hinton 3 hr Lol 40
Missing Money 3 hr Old codger 5
Does a child deserve to know who their biologic... (Apr '11) 12 hr In the dark 56
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hinton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hinton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance