Horse Farrier Highland or Adams Co?

Posted in the Hillsboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 11

Dayton, OH

#1 May 28, 2011
Anyone know of a good farrier in Highland or Adams county? If so who and what experience have you had with them? Would appreciate any info,
odjxhspsjbw

Barnesville, OH

#2 May 30, 2011
mommybluebird wrote:
Anyone know of a good farrier in Highland or Adams county? If so who and what experience have you had with them? Would appreciate any info,
The Amish farrier, Dennis, on Sinking Springs road just off of 41 is my fav around here. He is cheap, patient, great with horses of all sizes, and easy to work with. I've used Dave Gable and would never recommend him to anyone. He is quick to get the job done and doesn't do things like he should, and he has a short temper and has been known to hit and beat on horses that don't stand well. I've used Dustin Crothers also, he is excellent, and I would still be using him if he hadn't raised his prices.
mitch

Peebles, OH

#3 May 30, 2011
look up zach bess. he is really good

Dayton, OH

#4 May 30, 2011
Thanks for all the info,I really appreciate it. I need someone to do my horse and mini donkeys and will not tolerate someone being mean to them.
Horse Feathers

United States

#5 May 31, 2011
Dave Gable is a great man. Does wonderful things with and for horses. Get your info from a better source before you say someone is involved in animal cruelty.

Location hidden

#6 May 31, 2011
I mean no disrespect to you, Horse Feathers,but I personally saw Dave Gable hit one of my animals. He was aggravated because she wasn't cooperating in a timely manner and he punched her in the face with his fist. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I wish I had. His actions changed her temperament and she acts head-shy now. It breaks my heart every time I see her duck her head in fear and makes me angry that I actually paid someone to make her that way. Does anyone else have personal experiences with any of the farriers mentioned? I only know of Mr. Gable in this area and would be interested in contacting another to care for my animals. If Mr. Gable is treating other's animals the same way he did mine, everyone should know and have the opportunity to make a better informed choice in their animal's care.
Horse Feathers

United States

#7 May 31, 2011
Untill you use your real name (I know I'm not) you're just another gossip. I suspect that if this really took place, you would have called the proper authorities. I would have. This its poppycock.

Dayton, OH

#8 May 31, 2011
angel_face wrote:
I mean no disrespect to you, Horse Feathers,but I personally saw Dave Gable hit one of my animals. He was aggravated because she wasn't cooperating in a timely manner and he punched her in the face with his fist. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I wish I had. His actions changed her temperament and she acts head-shy now. It breaks my heart every time I see her duck her head in fear and makes me angry that I actually paid someone to make her that way. Does anyone else have personal experiences with any of the farriers mentioned? I only know of Mr. Gable in this area and would be interested in contacting another to care for my animals. If Mr. Gable is treating other's animals the same way he did mine, everyone should know and have the opportunity to make a better informed choice in their animal's care.
Thank you Angel face,I appreciate your input and would like to hear from others in the area on different farriers as I want to make the right choice.

Location hidden

#9 Jun 1, 2011
I tried to keep my post respectful and relayed a personal experience about what happened to my animal under Mr. Gable's care. You can criticize me all you wish. I had never dealt with such a situation and would certainly handle it differently now that I have become a more experienced horse-owner. Horse Feathers, why are you taking criticism of Mr. Gable so personally?
odjxhspsjbw

Barnesville, OH

#10 Jun 1, 2011
Dave hit my yearling filly in the gut with a rasp and made her go into a colic state. She was wild when I got her and had only had her a week...this was her first farrier visit and you can just guess how hard it was after that for me to be able to touch her feet. She is permanently scared.
Another lady I talked to said her horse was old and arthritic and couldn't hold his back legs up well, when the horse pulled away, Dave punched the horse and made him fall over. We are talking about a 30+ year old horse in pain! The man should not be allowed around horses.
I could go on and on about people that I have talked to about him that have asked me to help them find a real professional and not a bully with a rasp and a pair of nippers.
If you chose to use him, and if you like him, to each his own, but I would NEVER recommend him to ANYONE who loved their equines.

Dayton, OH

#11 Jun 1, 2011
I started this post in hopes of finding a good farrier for my animals, I did not mention any names as I wanted to see what other people thought of different farriers in this area,but since some of the responses have been what they are, I will elaborate more. I too have had personal experience with Dave Gable. I think he is an excellent farrier with a good background (especially education). But he does have a temper and he punched one of my animals in the face because she wasn't as cooperative as he wanted her to be. He is always in a hurry to get the job done and has no patience with the animals. As for you Horse Feathers,if you are not using your real name why would you expect others to? Is your name Dave?
This post was not started to create arguments, just to get different opinions, which is what living in America is all about. I would still appreciate hearing from others on this subject. Speak up Equine owners and let us know your thoughts. Thanks!
Horse Feathers

United States

#12 Jun 1, 2011
No, I'm not Dave. My name is Daniel. And I'm not bashing people, I'm sticking up for a friend. You ask for opinions, and someone had to slam Dave, if you can't say something nice..... And since when has a horse become a pet? I thought they were beast of burden....not saying they need to be mistreated, but if you want a pet to love and hold, get a dog. Horses are animals that are used for work. This isn't Disney Land, this is the real world.
defender

Barnesville, OH

#13 Jun 2, 2011
Horse Feathers wrote:
No, I'm not Dave. My name is Daniel. And I'm not bashing people, I'm sticking up for a friend. You ask for opinions, and someone had to slam Dave, if you can't say something nice..... And since when has a horse become a pet? I thought they were beast of burden....not saying they need to be mistreated, but if you want a pet to love and hold, get a dog. Horses are animals that are used for work. This isn't Disney Land, this is the real world.
This is coming from a person who is using the name Horse Feathers on a topix board?
Yea, this is the real world. No one except the Amish use horses for work anymore. And I am sure you are not Amish because you would not be on here. So, if you have any horses, what do you do with them?

Dayton, OH

#14 Jun 2, 2011

I looked over all the posts and not once did anyone call their horse a pet,altough I will be the first to say my equines are pets,I love them dearly same as my dogs. SO whether they are pets or as you say " beasts of burden" they do not deserve to be hit,punched or mistreated in any way. I have always heard you can judge a person by how they treat their animals and kids. If they mistreat defenseless animals or children, speaks for itself.
Horse Feathers

United States

#15 Jun 2, 2011
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
This is coming from a person who is using the name Horse Feathers on a topix board?
Yea, this is the real world. No one except the Amish use horses for work anymore. And I am sure you are not Amish because you would not be on here. So, if you have any horses, what do you do with them?
Yup, Horse Feathers....and you're defender. Cool. But, I'm not making accusations, so my name isn't relevant....those making the accusations should user their real name. Otherwise, your just another gossip. And, as for the Amish, they are some of the worst for treatment of animals. So please don't put me in with that group of loonies.
defender

Barnesville, OH

#16 Jun 2, 2011
Horse Feathers wrote:
<quoted text>Yup, Horse Feathers....and you're defender. Cool. But, I'm not making accusations, so my name isn't relevant....those making the accusations should user their real name. Otherwise, your just another gossip. And, as for the Amish, they are some of the worst for treatment of animals. So please don't put me in with that group of loonies.
Well Daniel, I'm Susan, but without last names being said, first names don't matter. And I have to disagree with your comment on the treatment of Amish animals. They are not all the same and the ones that I associate with treat their work horses better than most people treat the family dog. I also know the Amish farrier mentioned above and if you met him once, I am sure you would change your opinion about saying ALL Amish are inhumane. He is one of the best natural horsemanship trainers I have met in a long time, as well as a patient farrier. I get in a lot of rescue horses and he has never once given up on any of them or been abusive no matter how bad the horse was.
Horse Feathers

United States

#17 Jun 2, 2011
So then, what's your last name? You all are the same, its easy to hide behind a screen name and talk smack, and endanger a mans career. These accusations could ruin a mans life. You all need to grow up. As for me, I'm done with Topix....nothing but a bunch of hillbillies running their mouths.

Location hidden

#18 Jun 2, 2011
My name is Tammy. I don't feel I owe anyone my last name in a public forum talking to strangers. Daniel, I'm sorry you feel that we are being mean and spiteful. I wish him no ill will. I have found the posts to be pretty well respectful and educated. Dave was even complimented on his education and experience. Perhaps my glass is half-full, but instead of seeing this forum as the destruction of a man's career it could give him some constructive insight into how his customers perceive his actions with their animals. Perhaps he's not aware that many animal owners take issue with his rough treatment of their pets or beasts of burden as you put it. I too believe that Dave is a skillful farrier and I admire the relationship with his dog, which is his constant companion. The best in their field, any field, have room for improvement. I also believe that Dave could improve on controlling his temper and being kinder to the animals when his anger takes over. If you are truly Dave's friend perhaps you could use this forum as a tool to help him find a way to improve his customer relations.
defender

Barnesville, OH

#19 Jun 3, 2011
Horse Feathers wrote:
So then, what's your last name? You all are the same, its easy to hide behind a screen name and talk smack, and endanger a mans career. These accusations could ruin a mans life. You all need to grow up. As for me, I'm done with Topix....nothing but a bunch of hillbillies running their mouths.

Don't be a hypocrite. What exactly do you think you have been doing here?

Anyway, Tammy is right and I will leave it at that.
defender

United States

#20 Jun 3, 2011
But then again, I'm just a fat lazy woman. I really don't know what I'm talking about. I just like to stir the pot... I'm sure your smarter than me, Horse Feathers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashlee bear is missing 1 hr Iknowmorethanu 41
We need a skatepark in hillsboro ohio for our y... 1 hr not even 11
Eli burkard is a snitch 1 hr Lol 7
Jason Reno 2 hr oscar 5
Wesley Howard 5 hr Like a Boss 4
Miranduh Hensley 6 hr Like a Boss 3
Zach Arnold 18 hr lol 16
Hillsboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web