First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Susie Galea

United States

#1 Jun 6, 2012
As Mayor of Alamogordo, I spend 40+ hours devoted to City business and meeting with civic and charitable groups. I've gotten several complaints that I'm not centered enough to be accessible to the general public. How can I become more centralized? I just found this public site, and I hope it's a good source to ask for help. Anyone can call city hall or my listed phone number to arrange a meeting with me. I realize now that not many feel comfortable reaching out to me despite my eagerness to learn, understand, and address problems with Alamogordo. What do I need to do to become more centralized, so that any and all citizens feel comfortable conversing with me?
Also, for the record, I did pay for my skydive adventure. It was $220 each for my spouse and I. Though it was offered to me, I don't accept benefits to available to the entire public of Alamogordo. It was a matter of question on this forum, and I feel it important to note as it would be contrary to my character. Yes, I will promote tourism by diving from a perfectly good airplane. No, I will not accept a free ride. I love Alamogordo, and I know that this city will see its prime again and economic development will abound. Thank you in advance for your feedback.- Mayor Galea
Fly on the Wall

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Jun 6, 2012
Mayor Galea, You have been seen out in the community more than any of the past mayor's. Keep it up, it is refreshing.

Chance too fast is hard for the community to accept until they see the result's of honesty and open communication. You are doing a great job of having numerous ways for the citizens to communicate with you.

Topix requires a thick skin.

There are a core issues with a lot of citizens here, from lack of grocery stores, activities for children and teenagers, lack of shopping, image of Alamogordo, past assumptions of city commissioners pet projects, etc, all of these you have heard before.

Maybe a monthly town hall meeting with the citizen's at each district fire station, or a Mayor's Comment Box at city building where the public go to on a regular basis. I do like the Alamogordo Live video's.

You are a breath of fresh air, and wish you all the best, just watch your back, and trust no one.
Mike J In Alamo

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Jun 6, 2012
From everything i've read about mayor Galea i have to say that i'm really stoked that she's our mayor! She seems very concerned about the city's well being as well as where it should be in the future.
I was in high school here back during the 1980's and back then we had four grocery stores (IGA, Furrs, Big 8 and Safeway), we had a bowling alley, we had a nice miniture golf up on 1st street. and while small at least all of the shopping centers including the mall were all full back then and so i know that we can get back to those times if we just had citizens and gov officials who really care for Alamo.
Couple of ideas as firstly i just read about how the White Sands Mall will be expanding and remodeling soon and so why couldn't we offer tax incentives for other shopping outlets to renovate as they were built back in the 70's/60's and just look so old and wore out e.g. Granada Center 1st Street and Shopping Plaza East 10th Street.
We sure use more parks here and so why not convert one or more of the closed down mobile home parks that were cleared out like the one at Indian Wells and Oregon Ave and the other one at Indian Wells and North Florida Ave as they're very shady in those locations as they still have lots of large trees through out them.
Yeap i wish Albertsons and a Bowling Alley would come into town and while i'm not pushing alcohol however it would be nice to also have a couple of nice sports bars for all of us who love college and pro sports etc.
In closing i really do wish our mayor all the success and hopefully she'll have an excellent new city manager hired on soon who really wants to be in Alamogordo and is ready to roll up his/her sleeves and get to work for our city and yeap i definitely plan to vote for mayor Susie Galea if she runs for mayor again!
Mike J In Alamo

Alamogordo, NM

#4 Jun 6, 2012
NOTE: I separated the paragraphs and yet they are stuck together as i apologize if hard to read.
Thank You

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Jun 6, 2012
Thanks for reaching out. My main concern is not enough grocery stores, no competition leaves you at the mercy of bad produce,bad bakeries, and no selections, because you simply have no choices.
Thanks
Me Too

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Jun 7, 2012
"Thank You", I couldn't agree with you more. Even if this town is now 30,000, a town of 30,000 can't support 3, 4, even 5 grocery stores??? You know something is going on behind the scenes when years and years go by with Alamogordo citzens begging for more grocery choices and still we are left with only two main choices. Please Mayor, get to the bottom of this and make something happen.
whatever

Port Angeles, WA

#7 Jun 7, 2012
One of the reasons Alamogordo may not be able to support another grocery store may be due to the commissary at Holloman. There are a boat load lot of military retirees in the area. Captial is tight these days and major chains have to carefully evaluate return on investment.
whatever

Port Angeles, WA

#8 Jun 7, 2012
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, the new mayor shows great promise if she can avoid toxic nitwits.
Me Too

Alamogordo, NM

#9 Jun 7, 2012
whatever wrote:
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, the new mayor shows great promise if she can avoid toxic nitwits.
What "original topic of this thread"? The title of this thread is "Mayor - Reaching Out". And from what you are saying, it sounds like you didn't even read her comments, part of which were, "I realize now that not many feel comfortable reaching out to me despite my eagerness to learn, understand, and address problems with Alamogordo. What do I need to do to become more centralized, so that any and all citizens feel comfortable conversing with me?"

As far as I can see, YOU are the only "toxic nitwit" that I have seen on this thread. Now, crawl back under your rock.
Me Too

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Jun 7, 2012
whatever wrote:
One of the reasons Alamogordo may not be able to support another grocery store may be due to the commissary at Holloman. There are a boat load lot of military retirees in the area. Captial is tight these days and major chains have to carefully evaluate return on investment.
You obviously are ignorant of the money that Wal-Mart makes here. According to their General Manager, Walmart is the highest volume store in the Western US. In the WESTERN U.S.! Now, that's not because people are going to shop at the base, that's because people are shopping here in town and don't want to drive out to the base. I know lots of military retirees who have the right to shop on the base and who don't simply because of the drive. And I also know lots of base dwellers who shop in town. So your theory holds no water.

I have been in towns of under 15,000 that were able to support 3 or more grocery stores, including a Wal-Mart. Maybe it's just that you haven't travelled much and don't know how the flow of money works for a town this size. Yes, it could definitely support a MINIMUM of 3 grocery stores if not more. Just talk to people who have been here for decades. Even with the base here, this town at one time had 4 or 5 grocery stores that were thriving, until Wal-Mart did its normal predatory pricing. When there were very strong rumors about Albertson's returning a couple years ago, you should have seen the prices drop at WM. But as soon as the rumors subsided, you guessed it, the prices went back up.

Since then, I have been in email contact with one of the Albertson's liasons who was involved with working on their return, and she said even though things didn't work out at that time, that they were still VERY interested in Alamogordo as a market location. So if they still have interest, that must mean that Alamogordo has profit potential outside of the two stores here.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#11 Jun 7, 2012
Without a doubt, this town can easily support another major chain supermarket such as Albertsons.

I understand Walmart rakes in well over $1m a day.

And I think it could also support as well an IGA, a decent butcher shop, a smaller grocery to cater to the Hispanic community. At least one decent bakery, not something like "The Bread Store", which essentially sold the same generic stuff Lowes and Walmart did.

A Target, a decent electronics Store, like Baillos in Santa Fe, and even a Costco would especially be wonderful.

That would place Walmart in a more competitive situation, vying for customer's dollar (sales). The customer, ultimately is the winner in such a scenario.
Me Too

Alamogordo, NM

#12 Jun 7, 2012
I once lived in a town of under 20,000 and in addition to the Wal-Mart it had at least 4 other well-known grocery chains: Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Save-A-Lot in addition to locally owned stores as well as close-out and discontinued food item stores. This town also had an AF base with a BX and Commissary.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Jun 7, 2012
I sort of chuckled after I posted.

Thinking maybe, we're putting in a "wish list" with Susie, like she's a Santa Claus, which of course she isn't.

If others don't line up behind her, support her, work with her, and try hard to improve this community, Susie might fail with the implementation of a Porta Potty installation.
there is hope

United States

#14 Jun 7, 2012
I commend Mayor Galea for not accepting free anything. It may seem harmless to accept meals or gifts from people as an elected official, but it is wrong. It speaks to Mrs. Galea's character that she refused such an offer!
Loving the New Mayor

United States

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Susie Galea wrote:
As Mayor of Alamogordo, I spend 40+ hours devoted to City business and meeting with civic and charitable groups. I've gotten several complaints that I'm not centered enough to be accessible to the general public. How can I become more centralized? I just found this public site, and I hope it's a good source to ask for help. Anyone can call city hall or my listed phone number to arrange a meeting with me. I realize now that not many feel comfortable reaching out to me despite my eagerness to learn, understand, and address problems with Alamogordo. What do I need to do to become more centralized, so that any and all citizens feel comfortable conversing with me?
Also, for the record, I did pay for my skydive adventure. It was $220 each for my spouse and I. Though it was offered to me, I don't accept benefits to available to the entire public of Alamogordo. It was a matter of question on this forum, and I feel it important to note as it would be contrary to my character. Yes, I will promote tourism by diving from a perfectly good airplane. No, I will not accept a free ride. I love Alamogordo, and I know that this city will see its prime again and economic development will abound. Thank you in advance for your feedback.- Mayor Galea
The recent revelation that the County Treasurer officials admit taking all kinds of free stuff from people who do business with them is a shame. They should follow Mayor Galea's lead and not accept anything.
Let us not digress ok

Rio Rancho, NM

#16 Jun 7, 2012
Let's stay on topic here, ok? Mayor Galea has asked us for our opinions concerning improving the city. Let's tell her (nicely). We've covered needing grocery stores, but how about actual city government business and other things that the mayor has power over. I would like to suggest that she and the commission become more educated in the way the city departments provide service and the improvements that are needed within the City gov't itself. The City Manager and dept. heads/city administration need oversight. You need good, QUALIFIED supervisors in each facility. Mayor, why not get information on the turn-over rate in the city gov't. and find out why it's high.
Go Susie Go

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Jun 7, 2012
Kick butt and clean house Mayor Susie!!!
Say What

Alamogordo, NM

#18 Jun 7, 2012
Let us not digress ok wrote:
Let's stay on topic here, ok?
Who has been "off topic" other than numbnuts "whatever"? Everyone else has been responding to Mayor Galea's request for "any and all citizens (to) feel comfortable conversing with me". All others commenting have been doing that and it's certainly not up to you to tell others when a topic is finished or what they should be conversing with the mayor about. If 10 or more people want to get on here and talk about grocery stores, then that is their right and it's not up to you to tell them differently.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#19 Jun 7, 2012
Let us not digress ok wrote:
Let's stay on topic here, ok? Mayor Galea has asked us for our opinions concerning improving the city. Let's tell her (nicely). We've covered needing grocery stores, but how about actual city government business and other things that the mayor has power over. I would like to suggest that she and the commission become more educated in the way the city departments provide service and the improvements that are needed within the City gov't itself. The City Manager and dept. heads/city administration need oversight. You need good, QUALIFIED supervisors in each facility. Mayor, why not get information on the turn-over rate in the city gov't. and find out why it's high.
Ypu have a city here, who pays a city manager $111K a year, who was an invisible man, who didn't want to know this city from jack.

I'm not saying he didn;t do his job, the man possibly was very educated, and had great financial expertise. Still, that falls short. I know him, I met him, and I didn't think much of him.

Of course I could say the same for the other 85% of people here running the city.

Supervisors that are heads of city departments? Hell, I wouldn't give you ten cents for most of them. Notice I say "most". Like in any other job, or company, 80% of thw workers, and bosses are deadbeats, pulling thier puds, while the other 20% do their works, and pick up the rest of the slack.

Slackers.

The city? Who wants to work for them? With 3rd world turd wetback pay scale, it might be a good springing off point for a kid, but for anyone with higher than a 4th grade education, use such jobs as a startng point, go find a job with the county, or state, they will more likely give you a better pay rate, in line with what an average human being makes (here) Note, I say here!

In chicago, I knew many city workers, that were my friends. Sweeping cig butts off an El Platform (Subway)$20/hr

Painting stripes on the streets,$22/hr. Driving the garbage truck,$26-%28/hr.

Forman,$26-$30/hr.

You think that's big pay? That's nothing! That what middle class citizens should be making as of the year 2012.

Those wetback beaner wages they pay people here are beyond ridiculous, and beyond a blatant, hard slap in the face.

Oh wait, maybe I'll go work out at WSMR, where they'll pay me a whopping $32K a year! Wow, all that money that I don"t even know what to do with! Yeah, bullshit!$32K, wow, I'm freakin rich here, think I'll go out and buy me a brand new Beemer, and a nice French Bros house in back of the hotel on Panorama! Not!

How do you improve quality of life here? Simple, raise rates across the board. Raise fees, taxes, rent, utilities, fines, tickets, and it doesn't have to be by much.

By doing so, more money comes in, and the lowlifes leave for cheaper pastures, like wherever. Let em go, It's a win-win situation.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#20 Jun 7, 2012
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>
Who has been "off topic" other than numbnuts "whatever"? Everyone else has been responding to Mayor Galea's request for "any and all citizens (to) feel comfortable conversing with me". All others commenting have been doing that and it's certainly not up to you to tell others when a topic is finished or what they should be conversing with the mayor about. If 10 or more people want to get on here and talk about grocery stores, then that is their right and it's not up to you to tell them differently.
Who's "Numbnuts whatever"? LOL You got a clue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

High Rolls Mountain Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family Dog Shot Nov 20 (Dec '12) 12 min Coach 115
What is the New world order? 15 min Yvonne 36
They were right 1 hr Yvonne 3
New evidence that global warming is BS (Nov '09) 1 hr Gorky 7,290
AKC dog show in town this weekend ... 1 hr People First 8
Alamogordo Motel Owner Sexually Assaulted Women 1 hr Doctor Bang 2
Carlsbad at Artesia: Battle for Eddy County 2 hr Artesia 1

High Rolls Mountain Park Jobs

High Rolls Mountain Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE