Alligator in Lake Hickory

May 17, 2008 Full story: Hildebran News 48

Hickory- An alligator has been spotted in Lake Hickory. The gator was spotted on Sunday and then spotted Wednesday by two North Carolina Resource Commission Officers. via Hildebran News

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Trish

Temple, TX

#1 May 18, 2008
With all the other crap dumped in Lake Hickory, the gater won't go hungry.
LORI

Greenville, SC

#2 May 24, 2008
I ope the gator dont die from all the pollution in Lake Hickory.
dang

Hickory, NC

#3 May 25, 2008
All these people are worried about the gator in the lake when they go swimming. I'd be more worried about the pollution. No way would I go in the lake. Gator or no gator!
Hayley

Advance, NC

#4 May 25, 2008
Please take the alligator out of the lake so he and all of us humans can live and enjoy our summer!
questions

AOL

#5 May 27, 2008
Why wouldn't the alligator survive a winter in that lake. The lake doesn't freeze over. Sewerage is pushed into it, wouldn't that mean warm areas? Fish and turtles live in there, isn't that food? And if the alligator goes on shore, there are other sources of food, wild and domestic.

I heard a rumor that the alligator had been shot by a landowner. Is that true?
NC girl

United States

#6 May 27, 2008
the gator should have been taken out..
ALF

Asheville, NC

#7 May 28, 2008
Some Redneck fisherman needs to shoot the damn
thing before it kills someones child. Who the hell is in charge and are they sick in the head?
NC Guy

Hickory, NC

#8 May 28, 2008
I say we kill it as soon as possible before any animals such as dogs or cats start to come up missing.
ALF

Asheville, NC

#9 May 28, 2008
You go NC GUY. Why let the thing die a slow death
or kill one of our own.
NC Guy

Hickory, NC

#10 May 28, 2008
You said it ALF ! By the way, what does ALF stand for anyway ?
NC girl

United States

#11 May 28, 2008
Why are they not getting out of the lake anyways? Are they afraid to catch it? Whatever, It need to be gone, rid of..
Rhodhiss 18 years

United States

#12 May 30, 2008
i would be afraid it would get a child! but also why would they have there child in a place so nasty. so u got to think of it as the parents not thinkin of there health or the childs health! the Alligator needs a home i guess he found one thats almost or could be as nasty as a sawmp! but i think we still need to get it out!
MELANIE H

Hickory, NC

#13 Jun 6, 2008
i think if the gator is in danger itself or may harm others it should be moved where it could live, not be killed! people are so stupid!
Burke County

Fayetteville, NC

#14 Jun 9, 2008
Thats rediculious to leave something that can kill someone swimming in the lake, that is not known for gators, so people take there families and enjoy the water are now going to have to be afraid to have fun beacuse they want take it out! How messed up do you have to be to leave something like that in a extremly poulated and housed area. So what, its gonna have to kill somebody before you do anything about it? That makes alot of sence you wildlife guys!
Julie Lowe

Conover, NC

#16 Jul 23, 2008
Why does the alligaor have to be at fault? Sure no one wants it in theri yard or turning up eating kids,pets or ect but at the sametime the alligator is not at fault the human is and if it is to be taken away then wildlife should eb the one to do it.It could be taken to Florida and turned loose and it would be safe.It is thriving in it's natural habitat so why not help get it removed? Wildlife is a poor excuse and it is their fault it could pose such a threat.Call Wildlife and voice your oppinion.I love wildlife and I support all nature and it's cause.Don't kill the gator ,call wildlife and complain so we can get this thing done.The gator did'nt dump itself ,humans did.Julie
Read this Or not

Wilmington, NC

#18 Aug 22, 2008
WE SAW IT!!!! its Grown bigger its about 4-5ft we saw it while cat fishing and well we saw what we think was it We saw sumthing ina cove about 4-5ft long there was a head so we suspected ya no maybe a log a snapping turtle shell oora snake hey maybe even a big fish But when it started sturing up dusty water and disappeared underwater we suspected that it was One. If it was, The owner of the dock Will report it so we can trap it and make sure it doesnt harm any1.i mean all we do is take a decent sized cage and sum rope puta steak at waters edge w8 for him to come if he does and then trap him. Now were Not sure it was an Alligator But may it have been he'll be back and so will we. Dont worry Animal control will take care of it. so Until then just take caution cause thats all you can do. Gators might not be prone to attack unless you Antagonize it so don't poke it with a stick.
Read this Or not

Wilmington, NC

#19 Aug 22, 2008
Well like i said it might not have been it so dont Say there is one. i mean there coulda been a log at the botom floated up and back down or really a big turtle ora fish we dont know!
Read this Or not

Wilmington, NC

#20 Aug 22, 2008
Animal control will deal with watever
Floridian

Asheville, NC

#21 Oct 1, 2008
Hey, what is the problem with having an alligator in Lake Hickory? Where I come from in north Florida gators are in nearly every lake and pond around. I grew up with gators up to 11' long in the pond behind the house I was raised. Gators that are not tormented by ignorant people and that don't get hand outs rarely ever venture near people. Gators don't hunt people to eat because we are not part of their food web. Yes, gators have big teeth and look like scary dinosaurs but they are really just trying to exist here like all of God's creatures. With the summers getting hotter every year and the winters getting milder you can expect alligators to eventually proliferate in NC lakes. Don't freak out about it though, learn to deal with living with them...we do in Florida and very rarely ever have a real issue to worry about. Come on you people quit talking like scared cave men and start acting like the higher life forms we actually are.
just me

Smyrna, TN

#23 Feb 7, 2009
any new sightings on the alligator? anybody know how big it has gotten?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hickory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PLEASE control your Children!!!!!! 7 hr Casey Jenkins 7
walmart Neighborhood market Fri hopper235 1
Complete Laser Clinic Reviews? (Sep '12) Dec 24 mooksmom 102
hobby lobby building Dec 23 Dixie 2
Canceled North Carolina High School Production ... Dec 23 yuntt 1
New Stores Coming to Hickory (Apr '07) Dec 23 goldengirl 237
Who is the best looking hairdresser in Hickory? Dec 23 Repeatly 3
Hickory Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web