LetcherSt

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

In Henderson, Kentucky around autumn time, it has become a fairly regular sight to see men and women, usually in mid-twenties, walking along the side of highways with huge rucksacks and desheveled dress. Sometime they may openly hold signs asking for a ride or spare change on the side of the road.
These people are a part of the nationwide population of traveling homeless, commonly known as hobos. They hitchhike or ride freight trains (such as the local CSX) around the country living off of the land, the dumpsters ad the kindness of others. About this time of year, a lot of them that live in the cold northern states make their way to the warm south, to such places as Louisiana and New Mexico. Over the last few years, Henderson, with it's many railroads, has seemed to become a stopping point for many of these nomads
It was about a summer ago or so that a friend of mine rode into Henderson from Nashville on a freight train to visit. Upon his arrival, he went to the local shelter to meet some of the area's "old-timers" or retired hoboes. Upon mentioning his journey by freight, he was quickly shooed out of the building. They told him several years ago, a notorious serial killer known as "Side Track" had rode into town by train and stayed at the very same shelter. When I learned about this, I decided to do some research on this character. To my suprise, "Sidetrack", the mythical hobo serial killer was as real as day. Robert Joseph Silveria Jr. was his name; along with "Sidetrack" and "The Boxcar Killer" and he was responsable for the deaths of at least 34 hobos, drifters and other homeless men over a 15 year period of riding the trains coast to coast.
Silveria was arrested in California in 1996 and for a savage rampage starting in Salem, MA in 1981. By the end of the investigation he had confessed to taking the lives of 28 people. Atleast 6 others have been connected to him since.
So there is an interesting bit of local folklore for you all. Did the Boxcar Killer really stop off in Henderson for a meal? There no conclusive way to prove it, but the story sends shudders down my spine. By the end of winter, the most of these travelers will have passed on south like the geese, but the stories they may leave behind will certainly stay...
umpire

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Sounds like a real guy
Cumplay

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

LetcherSt wrote:
In Henderson, Kentucky around autumn time, it has become a fairly regular sight to see men and women, usually in mid-twenties, walking along the side of highways with huge rucksacks and desheveled dress. Sometime they may openly hold signs asking for a ride or spare change on the side of the road.
These people are a part of the nationwide population of traveling homeless, commonly known as hobos. They hitchhike or ride freight trains (such as the local CSX) around the country living off of the land, the dumpsters ad the kindness of others. About this time of year, a lot of them that live in the cold northern states make their way to the warm south, to such places as Louisiana and New Mexico. Over the last few years, Henderson, with it's many railroads, has seemed to become a stopping point for many of these nomads
It was about a summer ago or so that a friend of mine rode into Henderson from Nashville on a freight train to visit. Upon his arrival, he went to the local shelter to meet some of the area's "old-timers" or retired hoboes. Upon mentioning his journey by freight, he was quickly shooed out of the building. They told him several years ago, a notorious serial killer known as "Side Track" had rode into town by train and stayed at the very same shelter. When I learned about this, I decided to do some research on this character. To my suprise, "Sidetrack", the mythical hobo serial killer was as real as day. Robert Joseph Silveria Jr. was his name; along with "Sidetrack" and "The Boxcar Killer" and he was responsable for the deaths of at least 34 hobos, drifters and other homeless men over a 15 year period of riding the trains coast to coast.
Silveria was arrested in California in 1996 and for a savage rampage starting in Salem, MA in 1981. By the end of the investigation he had confessed to taking the lives of 28 people. Atleast 6 others have been connected to him since.
So there is an interesting bit of local folklore for you all. Did the Boxcar Killer really stop off in Henderson for a meal? There no conclusive way to prove it, but the story sends shudders down my spine. By the end of winter, the most of these travelers will have passed on south like the geese, but the stories they may leave behind will certainly stay...
I'm an author of murder mystery and this truly intrigues me, thank you
LetcherSt

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

I felt the same way when I heard this story to begin with. Let me know what you plan on doing with this or what you find. I'll post an e-mail if you'd like.
yehc

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

LetcherSt wrote:
I felt the same way when I heard this story to begin with. Let me know what you plan on doing with this or what you find. I'll post an e-mail if you'd like.
His name his cumplay, can't take that guy serious. Great post by you though!
Another Railroad Killer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

LetcherSt wrote:
This is the first I've heard of serial killer, Robert Joseph Silveria Jr., the "Sidetrack" and "The Boxcar Killer" spending time in Henderson, Ky.

There was another during the mid to late 1990's, Angel Resendiz, better known as "the Railroad Killer," who is believed to have stayed for a brief period of time at a shelter for homeless men in Henderson called, "The Harbor House".

If you are interested stories about serial killers around this part of Kentucky you might like the one about, "Big and Little Harpe", often called America's first known serial killers. http://www.illinoishistory.com/harpes.html
yes

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

Another Railroad Killer wrote:
<quoted text>This is the first I've heard of serial killer, Robert Joseph Silveria Jr., the "Sidetrack" and "The Boxcar Killer" spending time in Henderson, Ky.

There was another during the mid to late 1990's, Angel Resendiz, better known as "the Railroad Killer," who is believed to have stayed for a brief period of time at a shelter for homeless men in Henderson called, "The Harbor House".

If you are interested stories about serial killers around this part of Kentucky you might like the one about, "Big and Little Harpe", often called America's first known serial killers. http://www.illinoishistory.com/harpes.html
Harpe brothers were ruthless killers/rapist
Cumplay

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

yehc wrote:
<quoted text>
His name his cumplay, can't take that guy serious. Great post by you though!
thankx, I'm no guy!
Cumplay

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

yes wrote:
<quoted text>
Harpe brothers were ruthless killers/rapist
Studied that history and it too is wild
Cumplay

Morganfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

LetcherSt wrote:
Familiar with the local Maddog killings ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

84 Users are viewing the Henderson Forum right now

Search the Henderson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Get the Henderson Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min dave 138,383
March against Monsanto 19 min Charlie Runkle 13
the traffic on the pennyrille 47 min neccessary 2
Evansville law enforcement arrest Texas man sus... 50 min Tax Payer 1
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 55 min Anne52 81,185
best drug swap meets (Jul '13) 1 hr never knew people 21
James Michael Patterson 1 hr Searching4U 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Henderson Jobs

•••