HEMET: Fire Department facing layoffs

Jun 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Press-Enterprise

Hemet is considering laying off almost 20 percent of its Fire Department, which officials say could force a fire station to shut down, in order to help close the city's $1.4 million budget shortfall.

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Nov 17, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cameron

Pacific Palisades, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Here's a thought Hemet.... What's Andy Hall still doing there? Really? Get rid of him and your sucker fish attorney ... Then you can balance up. How embarrassing this city is
We were Warned

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Can't argue with the Hall statement. He was brought in to fix the fire department. Laying off employees is how to fix it? Anyone remember Measure O? I was at a meeting where the fire chief was describing what would happen without it. You know what? It all came true except for the library closure. So, it seems unless this city figures out that it is a revenue problem the library is next. When you look around town and try to figure out what happened, just remember we were all told by the chief it was coming.
brb

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Press enterpris wrote:
The city could have applied for another round of SAFER funding last November that would have funded up to nine additional positions through mid-2014, but officials decided not to.
why in the hell would you choose not to seek federal funding that is available to you?is it because they are in the tea party and are against federal spending? I don't get it..
Looky Here

Lake Elsinore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Actually that was a mistake it the article. Its gets even better. From what I understand, the Department applied for it and they were awarded the grant. I heard that Andy Hall refused to put it on an agenda at a City Council meeting and therefore the money is just sitting there. Why lay 20% of their Department off when the money is there to use. RECALL CITY COUNCIL!!!!
lJ

Pacific Palisades, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Gee COH... You have a spineless CM, a puppet for ACM and a REALLY dumb council .... Besides going to Disneyland with Sharon Doober, what will you do next ??
FIRE

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

When was the last fire in Hemet ?
local resident

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Looky Here wrote:
Actually that was a mistake it the article. Its gets even better. From what I understand, the Department applied for it and they were awarded the grant. I heard that Andy Hall refused to put it on an agenda at a City Council meeting and therefore the money is just sitting there. Why lay 20% of their Department off when the money is there to use. RECALL CITY COUNCIL!!!!
Yeah, Andy Hall is a turd, but this rumor sounds like something concocted by the Hemet FF's Association.

I agree, RECALL CITY COUNCIL!
ALOT OF FIRE

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

There has been about 10 fires this month.This city burns alot!!!! Wake up!!
i vote

Pacific Palisades, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

The city leaders need to wake up... Cut other places like from the second floor. Quit cutting city services. It's obvious you're planning for an Armageddon
tbd

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

your city moron residents are just too ripe for the picking. everything thats been said a million times about the petty chadri nakamurs corruption scheme just keeps on playing itself out to pass.
you idiots want to keep on living there to be their slaves forever, knock ypurselves out. criminal pieces of dog shit is totally what each and every one of them are, frim mark the spineless spermgurgler orem to the joke council scumbags to the o vious thief city manager to the thief city atty and on and on.
when compton is a better place to live, rembeber how hard you worked to earn the pain.
when your mother is raped in her home and your kids are shot stabbed and addicted at school, blame yourselves fir working so hard to ignore and deny your own useless lives.
FIRE

Aliso Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

ALOT OF FIRE wrote:
In the City ? Where?
Not a Rumor

Marina Del Rey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

local resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Andy Hall is a turd, but this rumor sounds like something concocted by the Hemet FF's Association.
I agree, RECALL CITY COUNCIL!
I checked into this and it looks like it's not a Hemet Firefighters Association rumor. Check out this link I found. Looks like they were awarded another million and some odd dollars back in July and it never was placed on the agenda. The grant would have to be voted on by council to accept this grant. So it looks like our wonderful City Council is going to lay our firemen off when they could keep them for free. WOW!!!!!
http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/safer/award_ye...
mr bill

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

HFD remeber the last person that council gave control over you guys he did the same thing except he did it to the whole city, back about 20 years ago,does anybody remeber? he took out HFD, HPD, city hall corp yard all at once then retired!!! its all coming back to haunt us!
We were Warned wrote:
Can't argue with the Hall statement. He was brought in to fix the fire department. Laying off employees is how to fix it? Anyone remember Measure O? I was at a meeting where the fire chief was describing what would happen without it. You know what? It all came true except for the library closure. So, it seems unless this city figures out that it is a revenue problem the library is next. When you look around town and try to figure out what happened, just remember we were all told by the chief it was coming.
local resident

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

Not a Rumor wrote:
<quoted text>
I checked into this and it looks like it's not a Hemet Firefighters Association rumor. Check out this link I found. Looks like they were awarded another million and some odd dollars back in July and it never was placed on the agenda. The grant would have to be voted on by council to accept this grant. So it looks like our wonderful City Council is going to lay our firemen off when they could keep them for free. WOW!!!!!
http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/safer/award_ye...
Excellent find.

Hopefully somebody will bring this up at city council meeting tomorrow.
local resident

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

This is from the PE article. This is why we won't receive the latest grant:

"The expiring $2.26 million grant was from the Department of Homeland Security’s Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response, or SAFER, program. The city could have applied for another round of SAFER funding last November that would have funded up to nine additional positions through mid-2014, but officials decided not to.

Public Safety Director Andy Hall said at the time that if Hemet couldn’t fund those positions in 2014, the city would have to lay people off then, and he couldn’t recommend “that we keep moving the ball down the field for a year and a half without any kind of game plan.”
Makes sense

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

Judged:

local resident wrote:
This is from the PE article. This is why we won't receive the latest grant:
"The expiring $2.26 million grant was from the Department of Homeland Security’s Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response, or SAFER, program. The city could have applied for another round of SAFER funding last November that would have funded up to nine additional positions through mid-2014, but officials decided not to.
Public Safety Director Andy Hall said at the time that if Hemet couldn’t fund those positions in 2014, the city would have to lay people off then, and he couldn’t recommend “that we keep moving the ball down the field for a year and a half without any kind of game plan.”
That's the problem with government. The politicians just keep kicking the can down the road. They finally got it right this time.
fire guy

Marina Del Rey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2012

and there was a mobile home fire fatality may 23rd
ALOT OF FIRE wrote:
Kat

Glendora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

Judged:

Let me see here: the city sold the contract for trash to CR&R.....where the F.... did that money go?
KEEP our fire and cops!

Brutal bastards!
klp

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

Judged:

its all part of the big jdp chaudri takeover plan if chaudri ownedhalf of moreno valley instead of hemet, youd never hear any of this crap
Kat

Glendora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

Judged:

klp wrote:
its all part of the big jdp chaudri takeover plan if chaudri ownedhalf of moreno valley instead of hemet, youd never hear any of this crap
what the hell did you say? I dont understand a damn thing you said....can you write in English?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hemet Discussions

Search the Hemet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
McDonalds 1 hr tye 1 4
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Los Angeles 200,551
EBT Cards 14 hr TellThem 3
HEMET: Confusion over write-in votes cleared up (Nov '12) 15 hr Teabag Sanchez 10
Home Wrecker Mon mad mom 6
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon Mudflys to 7,901
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Mon Green Soilent 4,975
•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE